Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Video and Photography

Old     (tdeneka)      Join Date: Aug 2002       10-26-2006, 9:33 AM Reply   
I just bought a Sony Receiver (STR-DG600) and set it up last night. It sounds great (especially for how inexpensive it is), but has an annoying 1 Hz "tick" coming through all 7 speakers with all inputs, even at full mute. Ticking does not increase with increased volume (i.e. it is drowned out by signal, not amplified with signal). This morning I unplugged all other pieces that have connections to the receiver (except the CD player which plugs into the back of receiver). Did not fix it.

Still have to try:
1. Un-plug CD player
2. Pull out all in/outputs (even though they were all unplugged)
3. Pull out speaker pairs one at a time

What else should I try? The only thing that I can think of that could generate one tick per second is if my AC has a peak every cycle (being 60 Hz). What else is there??

Please help me, audio pros!!!
Old     (chas)      Join Date: Feb 2002       10-26-2006, 10:50 AM Reply   
Do you have a cell phone close to the head unit?
Old     (tdeneka)      Join Date: Aug 2002       10-26-2006, 12:51 PM Reply   
Nope

Nearest rf transmitters are cordless phones/base which are over 15' away. Cell phone was in car ~50' away.

The only other rf source that I can think of would be coax cable for CTV. I could have crappy connections; there are a couple connections not too far from receiver.
Old     (clubmyke)      Join Date: Aug 2004       10-29-2006, 9:50 AM Reply   
it is the wiring...

-how is it grounded?
-where is the hot signal from ?
Old     (rson)      Join Date: Jun 2002       10-29-2006, 10:17 PM Reply   
I would exchange it.

If it still does it, look to external factors.
Old     (rson)      Join Date: Jun 2002       10-29-2006, 10:21 PM Reply   
Also,
I would:

1: unplug all sources and keep the input on a blank source to see if it still clicks
2: Use a batt operated CD walkman as a source to trace the issue (this would isolate the input)
3: Move the power cable around
4: What is your speaker cable? does it suck?
5: move all power cables from other devices away from the speaker cables
6: Try a line conditioner from Monster.
Old     (clubmyke)      Join Date: Aug 2004       10-29-2006, 11:23 PM Reply   
dude,

my bad... i thought was car stereo..

chances are you have a opeen loop from the coax cable connection...disconnect the cable entirely from your system and see what happens...

if it goes away then you know...

i had to add one of these to my ht system

http://www.musicdirect.com/products/detail.asp?sku=AMONDBOX

Upload
Old     (tdeneka)      Join Date: Aug 2002       10-30-2006, 7:44 AM Reply   
I have tried unplugging all sources, did not fix.

Speaker wire is good 14 gauge for all but rear surrounds (looks to be 16 gauge for most, then 18 gauge for ~6')

I have not started unplugging everything from the back of the receiver yet (PITA) but will if nothing easier fixes. I have also unplugged the CATV coax, but did this far away from receiver (again, PITA to get behind TV/receiver right now).

My leading suspect is CATV right now. I found the ground cable that Time Warner installed. They did a crappy job (please Verizon, bring FTTP to the boonies!!).

I have heard examples of ground loop interference in car/boat stereo, and it is typically a hiss or hum; sometimes changing (in case of motors, etc.). I do not have a hum or hiss, only a ticking every second; constant pitch (sounds like a clock ticking). What could give a tick/click with a period of one second, in all 7 speakers, that does not get amplified with increasing volume from amp?? Some kind of timing circuit?

I would like to try to determine what can make such interference before I start systematically start moving cables around. Thanks for the help so far . . . .

(Message edited by tdeneka on October 30, 2006)
Old     (rson)      Join Date: Jun 2002       10-30-2006, 10:05 AM Reply   
I first would swap out the reciver. Start with the basics and add on. Undo ALL inputs so basically you have a radio (use a wire for the antenna) Then add on sources. Also try without a ground, you can get a adapter at Home Depot for a dollar or 2.
Old     (clubmyke)      Join Date: Aug 2004       10-30-2006, 3:30 PM Reply   
couple of things

-what rich said and make sure the coax is disconnected from the tv or box....it will come up through the box, tv, and into the outlet... pretty wild.. do you have any other coax connections in the house ? if so, disconnect and try..

-what is the impedence of your speakers? if it is too low, it will cause the amp to clip.. are you running multiple speakers off a connection ?