Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through May 22, 2006

Old     (ramhouse)      Join Date: Apr 2004       05-11-2006, 8:35 PM Reply   
Blackout Day

IT HAS BEEN CALCULATED THAT IF EVERYONE IN THE UNITED STATES DID NOT
PURCHASE A DROP OF GASOLINE FOR ONE DAY AND ALL AT THE SAME TIME, THE OIL
COMPANIES WOULD CHOKE ON THEIR STOCKPILES.

AT THE SAME TIME IT WOULD HIT THE ENTIRE INDUSTRY WITH A NET LOSS OF OVER
4.6 BILLION DOLLARS WHICH AFFECTS THE BOTTOM LINES OF THE OIL COMPANIES.

THEREFORE MAY 19TH HAS BEEN FORMALLY DECLARED "STICK IT TO THEM" DAY AND
THE PEOPLE OF THIS NATION SHOULD NOT BUY A SINGLE DROP OF GASOLINE THAT
DAY.

THE ONLY WAY THIS CAN BE DONE IS IF YOU FORWARD THIS E-MAIL TO AS MANY
PEOPLE AS YOU CAN AND AS QUICKLY AS YOU CAN TO GET THE WORD OUT.

WAITING ON THIS ADMIINSTRATION TO STEP IN AND CONTROL THE PRICES IS NOT
GOING TO HAPPEN. WHAT HAPPENED TO THE REDUCTION AND CONTROL IN PRICES THAT
THE ARAB NATIONS PROMISED TWO WEEKS AGO?

REMEMBER ONE THING, NOT ONLY IS THE PRICE OF GASOLINE GOING UP BUT AT THE
SAME TIME AIRLINES ARE FORCED TO RAISE THEIR PRICES, TRUCKING COMPANIES
ARE FORCED TO RAISE THEIR PRICES WHICH EFFECTS PRICES ON EVERYTHING THAT
IS SHIPPED. THINGS LIKE FOOD, CLOTHING, BUILDING MATERIALS, MEDICAL
SUPPLIES ETC. WHO PAYS IN THE END? WE DO!

WE CAN MAKE A DIFFERENCE. IF THEY DON'T GET THE MESSAGE AFTER ONE DAY, WE
WILL DO IT AGAIN AND AGAIN.

SO DO YOUR PART AND SPREAD THE WORD. FORWARD THIS EMAIL TO EVERYONE YOU
KNOW. MARK YOUR CALENDARS AND MAKE MAY 19TH A DAY THAT THE CITIZENS OF THE
UNITED STATES SAY "ENOUGH IS ENOUGH
Old    mplv            05-11-2006, 8:42 PM Reply   
this dumb crap has been traveling the web for years. you must not realize that exxon had the 5th biggest profit in a quarter in the history of the world last quarter. come up with a plan to not buy gas for a year and come see me
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       05-11-2006, 9:32 PM Reply   
people still believe in this?

the next time you want to forward or post that great email you got that says if you get millions of people to not to get gas for a day, gas stations will lower their prices, or that email that says to please forward the email about a missing kid and aol will track the emails w/ a beta-tracker and will donate a nickle for each person you forward to, please remember that snopes is your friend.

http://www.snopes.com/politics/gasoline/nogas.asp
Old     (kikitlo)      Join Date: Jul 2005       05-11-2006, 9:32 PM Reply   
its just dumb because what you don't buy today, you will have to buy tomorrow or the day after
Old    mplv            05-11-2006, 9:51 PM Reply   
what would you do if the hated gas companys refused to sell you gas?
Old     (bakerds)      Join Date: Feb 2004       05-11-2006, 10:05 PM Reply   
People who buy in to this fill up the day before, accelerating the cash flow to the oil companies.
Old     (aidan)      Join Date: Feb 2004       05-11-2006, 10:17 PM Reply   
I work for Oil companies ( Contractor ).........the more they make the more they spend on new stations..........ie...the more I get paid.
Old     (lfxstar)      Join Date: Jul 2001       05-11-2006, 11:35 PM Reply   
Yeah just like David said, if they did that, they would either fill up the day before or everyone would have to fill up the day after, haha. It would not do anything
Old    mplv            05-12-2006, 12:07 AM Reply   
exxon made like 11 billion last quarter. i think thats 11,000,000,000. good luck with your great plan. if i was ceo i would revoke your privelage to buy gas from me for being a douche
Old     (unclesam)      Join Date: Nov 2005       05-12-2006, 1:10 AM Reply   
how about no gas use for a day. If everyone rode their bikes for a day or walked then that would work.
Old     (stanfield)      Join Date: Mar 2004       05-12-2006, 5:05 AM Reply   
Just wanted to make everyone aware, Bill Gates is hookin' it up proper. Don't sleep.

Sent: Friday, September 24, 1999 1:33 PM
Subject: Microsoft and AOL merger.
I am forwarding this because the person who sent it to me is a good friend and does not send me junk. Microsoft and AOL are now the largest Internet company and in an effort make sure that Internet explorer remains the most widely used program, Microsoft and AOL are running an e-mail beta test. When you forward this e-mail to friends, Microsoft can and will track it (if you are a Microsoft Windows user) for a two week time period. For every person that you forward this e-mail to, Microsoft will pay you $245.00, for every person that you sent it to that forwards it on, Microsoft will pay you $243.00 and for every third person that receives it, you will be paid $241.00. Within two weeks, Microsoft will contact you for your address and then send you a check. I thought this was a scam myself, but two weeks after receiving this e-mail and forwarding it on, Microsoft contacted me for my e-mail and within days, I received a check for $24800.00.
Old    mplv            05-12-2006, 7:37 AM Reply   
nice, i just sent it o 48,000 people, gimmie the money
Old     (yosquire)      Join Date: Jun 2005       05-12-2006, 8:55 AM Reply   
I remember when the AOl/Microsoft e-mail went around, I made $22,543!

For anyone who has ever forwarded on one of those "Don't buy gas on X day", Please do us all a favor, take an ECONOMICS class!

You want lower gas prices? Then hope to heck the world doesn't run out of oil. Hope India's and China's economies flouder. Hope that world population reduces (ouch). And lastly, EVERYONE BUY LESS GAS, ie, drive less, car pool, combine trips.

Since none of that is going to happen, go back to school, get a better job so you can afford high priced gas.
Old     (greenthumb)      Join Date: Mar 2004       05-12-2006, 9:39 AM Reply   
3 things you can always be sure of in the US and Canada, death, taxes, and rising gas prices. There is nothing that the common person can do to lower the prices of fuel at the pumps. Like mentioned above, if you dont buy any on the 19th, you will buy twice as much on the 20th.
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       05-12-2006, 10:13 AM Reply   
Now, if everyone took a week off work and stayed home that'd really show 'em.
Old    xray_eye            05-12-2006, 10:22 AM Reply   
I'm in, a week off! We all need to think a little more like Evan!!!
Old     (richd)      Join Date: Oct 2003       05-12-2006, 10:33 AM Reply   
Evan - if you took a week off you'd be out wakeboarding every day and using even more gas!

How about this - everyone who is currently riding in other people's boats: refuse to give the boat owner gas money after your next go out. The boat owner will not have the $ to refill the tank and the oil companies will suffer!

Great idea huh?

Now please don't invite yourself over to my house! LOL

disclaimer: please don't think I was even remotely serious with that idea.

Let's all hope Wakeboarding does not become the national sport in China or India or we will all be screwed!

Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       05-12-2006, 12:41 PM Reply   
Ha, ha. There you go Rich. Now if only someone would work on a solar charged electric boat.

BTW you're probably right. If I took a week off I'd spend 3 times as much in gas. I think the only option is to buy stock in the oil companies.
Old     (allen)      Join Date: Apr 2005       05-12-2006, 5:56 PM Reply   
I'm gonna take Evan's advice and take a week off and go to Mexico and sit on the beach. I promise to use no gas all week.

peace,

Al
Old     (ridetilldeath)      Join Date: Oct 2005       05-12-2006, 6:08 PM Reply   
we need the gas, its not guna stop the prices going up!
soon enough, everyone will be using ethanol and paying $2 a gallon.
oh and btw, people in england are paying roughly $7 pergallon if u work it out (cause its bought in liters over there)
a one day strike wont do anything
Old     (tantrum916)      Join Date: Mar 2005       05-12-2006, 6:12 PM Reply   
Every body gets mad at the oil companies but don't forget there is $0.75 to $0.85 per gal of taxes depending where you live I sure would like to see $0.75 a gal price reduction. But yes I do know all the different things the taxes are used for. But hey look at it on the bright side the higher the cost of gas the less people on the water in our favorite ridding spots, LOL.

(Message edited by tantrum916 on May 12, 2006)
Old    buckettim            05-12-2006, 6:30 PM Reply   
well according to a report on CNN the rise in gas price are have a negative affect on the stock market

The University of Michigan's preliminary index of U.S. consumer sentiment for May fell to a seven-month low as high gas prices took a toll on consumers. (Full story.)

Old    mplv            05-12-2006, 9:06 PM Reply   
the government makes 2 times as much in tax on a gallon of gas as the gas company
Old     (madchild1)      Join Date: Mar 2005       05-12-2006, 9:37 PM Reply   
IT'S HARD OUT HERE FOR A PUMP
April 26, 2006

I would be more interested in what the Democrats had to say about high gas prices if these were not the same people who refused to let us drill for oil in Alaska, imposed massive restrictions on building new refineries, and who shut down the development of nuclear power in this country decades ago.

But it's too much having to watch Democrats wail about the awful calamity to poor working families of having to pay high gas prices.

Imposing punitive taxation on gasoline to force people to ride bicycles has been one of the left's main policy goals for years.

For decades Democrats have been trying to raise the price of gasoline so that the working class will stop their infernal car-driving and start riding on buses where they belong, while liberals ride in Gulfstream jets.

The last time the Democrats controlled the House, the Senate and the presidency was in 1993. Immediately after trying to put gays in the military and socialize all health care, Clinton's next order of business was to propose an energy tax on all fuels, including a 26-cent tax on gas. I think the bill was called "putting people first in line at the bus station."

Al Gore defended the gas tax, vowing that it was "absolutely not coming out" of the energy bill regardless of "how much trouble it causes the entire package." The important thing was to force Americans to stop their infernal car-driving, no matter how much it cost.

And mind you, this was before we knew Gore was clinically insane. Back then we thought he was just a double-talking stuffed shirt who seemed kind of gay.

Democrats in Congress promptly introduced an "energy bill" that would put an additional 25-cent-a-gallon tax on gasoline to stop "global warming," an atmospheric phenomenon supposedly aggravated by frivolous human activities such as commerce, travel and food production. This is the Democratic Party. That's their program.

Democratic House Speaker Tom Foley endorsed the proposal on "Charlie Rose," saying: "I'd have a five-cent increase every year for five years. ... But that's not going to happen ... because we've got people who fret and worry that one- or two-tenths of a cent of a gasoline tax is going to cause some revolution at home." So in Tom Foley's universe, two-tenths of a cent is the same as a quarter — another testimonial to the American public educational system.

The Democrats' proposed gas tax did cause a revolution at home, and consequently the Democrats were able to sneak through only an additional 4.3-cent federal tax on gasoline. After tut-tutting the idea that voters would object if the Democrats attempted a huge gas tax increase, Speaker Tom Foley soon became former speaker, and indeed former Congressman Tom Foley.

Gary Hart, another whimsical demonstration of what Democrats think a president should be like, said at the time, "I certainly favor consumption taxes, particularly on energy." Then there's John Kerry, who favored a 50-cent increase in the gas tax in 1994. If he were a rap artist, Kerry's stage name would be "Fifty Cent a Gallon."

Last year, a couple of green "climatologists" at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign were back at it in the journal Science, wheeling out their proposal for a 25-cent-a-gallon tax on gasoline as an "insurance policy" against global warming.

Just two months ago, we were being confidently told — on the basis of a New York Times/CBS News poll, so it must be true — that "Americans might OK a gasoline tax hike if it reduced global warming or lessened U.S. dependence on foreign oil." (This poll was wedged in among the 29 polls claiming Americans think we're losing the war in Iraq.) Other results from the Times' "meaningless polls" section: Americans might "OK" a Dennis Kucinich presidency if it meant free ice cream every Tuesday.

How many times do Democrats have to tell us they want to raise the price of gas for the average American before the average American believes them? Is it more or less than the number of times Democrats tell us they want to surrender in the war on terrorism?

It's as if a switch goes off in people's brains telling them: The Democrats can't be saying they want to destroy the lives of people who drive cars because my father was a Democrat, and the Democrats can't be this stupid!

The Democrats' only objection to current gas prices is that the federal government's cut is a mere 18.4 cents a gallon. States like New York get another 44 cents per gallon in taxes. The Democratic brain processes the fact that "big oil companies" get nearly 9 cents a gallon and thinks: WE SHOULD HAVE ALL THAT MONEY!

When the free market does the exact thing liberals have been itching to do through taxation, they pretend to be appalled by high gas prices, hoping the public will forget that high gas prices are part of their agenda.

COPYRIGHT 2006 ANN COULTER

Old     (scottyb)      Join Date: Sep 2002       05-12-2006, 10:33 PM Reply   
Bingo!
Old     (tentcitygoon)      Join Date: Mar 2006       05-13-2006, 5:06 PM Reply   
Republican or Democrat why don't we all give the finger to petroleum, especially oil from overseas. Brazil is one of the only energy independent nations because they use ethanol fuels made from their sugarcane byproducts. If a terrorist blows up an oil pipeline it doesn't hurt their economy like it does the US. American companies sell their ethanol cars in Brazil, yet only slowly integrate the flex fuel cars into the US. Lets make gas from our corn and agriculture leftovers, while we are at it lets legalize industrial hemp and make gas, tax revenue and thousands of products that are currently made from petroleum out of the plant that our US CONSTITUTION was written on. If we get our heads out of the ground we can forget about the problems and the war in the middle east; we have the capability (lacking the awareness) to becoming an energy independent nation like Brazil.
Give the finger to oil!
Old     (jwr)      Join Date: Jan 2006       05-13-2006, 10:34 PM Reply   
You know what would really help gas prices, if everyone didn't drive like complete dumbasses. If everyone calmed down on the road, eased off the gas, and drove a little slower. They would save a ton of gas.
Old     (cyclonecj)      Join Date: Jul 2001       05-13-2006, 10:58 PM Reply   
I'm sure some of you know this stuff, but for you dumbasses that don't understand basic economics, the oil companies don't set gas prices. Neither does the president. The price of a barrel of oil is set by people that wear tablecloths for a hat. Oil companies get about 8 cents a gallon, same as always. We are buying a lot of it lately, that's why their profits are up. Same PROFIT MARGIN, just more sales. Econ 101.

Gas cost per capita is about the same as it was in the '50s. I personally don't care, I fill up my Bronco and my three other V8 powered vehicles and drive wherever I want to go. NEWS FLASH there's plenty of gas to go around, if you feel you can't afford it, give up bottled water, brown bag it instead of eating fast food, cancel your cable TV etc. You could even go back to dial up!

People in the US are such overfed, overextended, overspent, spoiled whiners these days.

Ann Coulter makes me randy, baby
Old     (bwellsusmc)      Join Date: May 2006       05-14-2006, 7:51 PM Reply   
We all hate the high gas prices, but it is impacting our economy in a positive way. New oil companies popping up almost every day, a lot of jobs created, and people working in the oil industry tend to spend a lot. I believe this is what's keeping our economy going strong right now. I don't work for an oil company, just a large technology company.
Old     (jon_m)      Join Date: Mar 2006       05-14-2006, 9:08 PM Reply   
well if i'd known kucinich was promising free ice cream on tuesdays i might not have thrown my support to clark. ann coulter is michael moore in a hot chick suit. spin knows no political party.