Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through August 27, 2003 > Archive through September 24, 2004

Old     (wakehound)      Join Date: Oct 2003       08-05-2004, 9:17 AM Reply   
Well, it has been about a year since my wife and I moved out to Tracy. One of the things that attracted us to the house we bought was the size of the yard, more specifically, a corner that looked large enough for a boat garage, with an existing slab leading up to it. So, once the details were all worked out (permits, HOA approval, etc.), we went ahead and did it. Here are some pics from start to finish. The building is 20' wide and 30' deep. The garage door is 14' wide by 9' tall, just a hair to short to put the boat in without dropping the tower, but not a big deal IMO. Electric, phone, CAT5 (I'm moving my office out there), and connecting to the house alarm system will be completed in the next few months.

Here's the corner of the yard where the garage is built

Here's the concrete guys digging out the forms

Once the inspector approved the forms, it was time to pour.

This little section had to be added to meet up with the existing slab.

Then the walls started going up next.

Finally the roof went on

Then the boat got to go in

Total build time was about 6 weeks, at a cost of just under 20k.
Old     (mossy44)      Join Date: Oct 2001       08-05-2004, 10:40 AM Reply   
i have been getting bids on a garage myself. mine is 20 x 30 also, but i was gonna make it 14 ft tall on the inside so that i could have a 12 ft door. i have been getting bids in the upper 20's all the way to the lower 40's. thats why i dont have a garage built yet.

yours looks great though. hopefully i can have one just like it soon. is there anything you would have done differently? i am not having windows, alarm, or CAT5, but i am having water run to it. besides that, seems like i am about the same
Old    chadj99            08-05-2004, 10:55 AM Reply   
Just a suggestion:

With water piped to the garage, put in a few floor drains. Being able to wash the boat down in the shade is really nice.
Old     (uga33)      Join Date: Jul 2003       08-05-2004, 11:05 AM Reply   
Mark, nice home for your boat.
Old    swass            08-05-2004, 11:12 AM Reply   
Sweet! I love garages.
Old     (ttuclint)      Join Date: Sep 2003       08-05-2004, 11:48 AM Reply   
20k !!!!!!!!

remind me never to move to california.
Old     (wake_fun)      Join Date: Apr 2002       08-05-2004, 1:23 PM Reply   
Mark, is that a TuffShed garage? If not can you tell me who did it for you? I live in the area also and was thinking of doing this.
Old     (mossy44)      Join Date: Oct 2001       08-05-2004, 1:43 PM Reply   
clint, thats what i am thinking and i live in TN. go figure!
Old     (wakehound)      Join Date: Oct 2003       08-05-2004, 3:53 PM Reply   
Matt- I would have liked to put in a drain, but wanted to make sure that the city approved it, and didn't want any issues when I sold the house later. Other than that, I'm happy with it. I plan on finishing the inside completely, but that will probably be a project for the winter.

Wake Fun - California Sheds built it, they are out of Sac. 1800-28-sheds.

20k was a good price. I had a couple of General Contractors bid on the job, and they wanted between 32-40k. I did have to upgrade the panels to a stucco finish, and have upgraded shingles to match my house, per my HOA. Cal Sheds also handled the entire process, even going and submitting the plans.
Old     (wake_fun)      Join Date: Apr 2002       08-05-2004, 4:16 PM Reply   
Mark, thanks a bunch!
I would like to do exactly what you did.
Did the 20K price include the cement, wiring, garage door, stucco finish, shingles and everything?
Thanks.
Old    kiwi            08-05-2004, 8:17 PM Reply   
gee u yanks build funnyWhere are all the dwangs?nogs
You would never be able to build like that in New Zealand .We have earthquakes and water so heaps more timber and flashings
But I'd love too be able to put mine in a garage in stead of a carport
Old     (wakehound)      Join Date: Oct 2003       08-10-2004, 9:10 AM Reply   
Wake Fun - No wiring, everything else was included. I'm going to do the electrical myself.

Martin - What the heck is a dwangs?nogs?
Old     (rock_n_boardin)      Join Date: May 2003       08-10-2004, 9:20 AM Reply   
Very nice! Congratulations!
Old     (mjfan23)      Join Date: Nov 2003       08-10-2004, 9:37 AM Reply   
looks good!!!
Old     (gizel)      Join Date: Dec 2002       08-11-2004, 6:26 AM Reply   
Mark I live in your Neighborhood and Have been fighting with the HOA nazis because of the repairs being done to my house I have my Boat parked in the Driveway. I have to know "how did you get the HOA to approve that" I get a letter a week about stuff and when I asked them about a stupid shed they told me it could not be above the fence line. I am jelious of your new garage. I have my X-star in the Garage most of the time but it takes up almost the whole thing. I wish I had room to put something in like that.
Old     (colorider)      Join Date: Jun 2001       08-11-2004, 8:55 AM Reply   
That is a real tight squeeze to get the boat in there!
Old     (actiondcpd)      Join Date: Apr 2003       08-11-2004, 9:35 AM Reply   
MarkB Looks awesome. Your boat looks a lot happier in the new garage. Nice work!
Old     (wakehound)      Join Date: Oct 2003       08-11-2004, 9:42 AM Reply   
Stewert - sent you an email.

Andrew - It's actually a lot larger than the pictures show. That garage door opening is 9 feet tall by 14 feet wide. The only part I hate is having to drop the tower to get it in. I wish I would have gone with 11 foot walls so I could have a 10 foot garage door, but I was afraid I was pushing my luck with the HOA as it was, and the shed company I was going with only offered 10 foot walls max.

I don't really care though, it's nice to have the boat inside and locked.
Old     (colorider)      Join Date: Jun 2001       08-11-2004, 12:46 PM Reply   
I was being sarcastic about the size. It is one of the most functional and convienent boat garages I have seen. You have done a great job. Enjoy the new boat home.!
Old    wakelvr            08-11-2004, 11:07 PM Reply   
Mark, looks great. Now could you come build us one?