Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (superair502)      Join Date: Mar 2010       06-01-2015, 7:58 PM Reply   
I just wanted to hop on here and provide a quick review of my new boat as when I was looking I hadn't seen a lot of info out there on the g21 , only the 23. I posted some stuff on here asking tons of questions about the g21 last summer and finally took the leap. I purchased my boat through n3 Boatworks in Indianapolis and those guys are awesome. They do really awesome custom work on every boat that comes through their store with powder coating, stereos, custom decal work etc. and really have put out some awesome nautiques over the years. (Who could forget the all black SAN 210??) I'll throw out a slight disclaimer as I am a team rider but will say that anything I am saying about the boat is an honest assessment and not a sales pitch.

Size-I was worried it would be a little small coming from a 24 but have to say the interior feels about like a 230 which seems impossible but the boat really is a good size and I have no intention to upgrade to a 23 anytime down the road. It may feel so big because of the deep freeboard and all the storage, I don't know.

1. The wake. Man that wake. Got to start any true review here and I will say out of the box the best I've ever rode. Sure I've seen boats get to a similar size with 6k lbs in ballast and 8 people but for out of the box and never having to fill another sack the wake is incredible. I've ridden the g23 too and still think ill give an ever so slight edge to the g21 because of preference as my first boat was a 2001 San 210. The landing isn't quite as long as the g23 and its a little steeper but I absolutely love it that way. My only problem now is I'm spoiled and it will feel strange riding other boats unless they are slammed. I came from an axis a24 which I ran about 4500 lbs and wedge in (was a great boat also) and will say the g21 is still a little bigger with just factory ballast. Love it... Surf wake is also surprisingly good. I was a little worried about it coming from the a24 but I will say the surf wake is just as big with more push. Also the nss is blazing fast and makes transitions super easy.
2. Interior. This may actually be my favorite part of the boat. I Have a girls board that usually sits I'm my storage and only gets brought out if there are ladies wanting to partake of the wake. Can't tell you how many times girls show up after we are out and want to ride. Now I just keep it in the rear locker along with surfboard and baisically everything else I own. Having all the ballast sub floor is awesome. I did feel just a little overwhelmed first time I turned on the linc screen but after a few minutes of the n3 guys walking me through it, it was second nature. I can't tell you how many compliments we get on the fau teak.
3. Exterior. I've seen people on here complain in the past they they think the g looks like a tugboat and I've never really agreed and thought it was one of the sexiest boats out there. Gs don't have that low sleek look of an xstar but to me they look just as good and that freeboard is practical. She never takes water anywhere unless someone cuts it completely we may get a little splash over the rear while surfing. But honestly Ive gotten more looks and comments on my boat in the last two weeks than I have ever. I guess this really is subjective.
4. Stereo. I've always had the big wetsounds system and I have to say I was a little worried about getting a boat with a factory non hlcd tower speakers but with the surf pipe I can actually hear the stereo with only 2 focals about as loud as my rev 410s on my axis without a surf pipe (I couldn't believe how quiet it made the boat) sure if I got the roswells, wetsounds etc it might be louder but the tower sounded really good and I'll prolly order it the same way in the future
5. Fuel consumption/planing. I have the 409hp 6.0 and a friend of mine has a g21 with the 343. I can say his engine is more than adequate for anyone out there in the 21. My boat does plan a little faster but it's not substantial and both boats have gotten up fine with 10 people and the full 2850 lbs of ballast full. That new transmission is very impressive. And the biggest surprise of the whole boat has to be fuel consumption. I was absolutely shocked how little fuel we have been using. The boat was topped off from the dealer and we rode 4 days on the water before we filled up and the dash still read 33% full. That is more efficient than any boat I've ever been in and I actually am going to start charging less for sets. Over those 4 days we drove back from the other side of the lake 2 times unloaded (10-12 miles) pulled 8 15-20 minute wakeboard sets and 5 surf sets. All but 1 with full ballast. I could not believe it! I had been in a 2013 g23 and heard it burnt fuel pretty liberally so I was nervous gettint the 21 but wow it's cheaper than my old 210... Truly shocked.

All in all my only gripe was there is no in floor cooler like the g23 but honestly I don't know where they would put it... Pretty minor tho as the boat comes with a nice canvas one.

Anyways I always enjoy reading everyone else's reviews while at work to get me through the day and thought I would return the favor. Also anyone in the Louisville ky or southern/indiana/Ohio area pm me to come ride anytime.
Attached Images

Old     (superair502)      Join Date: Mar 2010       06-01-2015, 7:59 PM Reply   
Another shot at night
Attached Images

Old     (jonyb)      Join Date: Nov 2008       06-01-2015, 8:10 PM Reply   
Awesome boat Mase! If you ever decide to upgrade the stereo hit me up. I'm 4 hours South of you in Paducah. I just did a G25 - 3 pair of Focal Access 6.5's for in-boats that match up with the 6X9's in the tower. I've got a few clients up your way and a few in Lexington with new boats.
Old     (migs)      Join Date: Aug 2006 Location: SF Bay Area       06-01-2015, 10:17 PM Reply   
So bad a$$!!!!!!
Congrats!
N3 has the sickest Nautiques in the biz hands down.
Old     (jonblarc7)      Join Date: Jul 2006       06-02-2015, 5:41 AM Reply   
Thanks for the write up

I've been waiting on someone to do a good review on the G21. I spent so time in a G23 last year and fell in love with it but don't know if I could ever swing it and I would have to buy another diesel to pull it. But a G21 seems like so much better of a fit.

Got any wake pic's
Old     (superair502)      Join Date: Mar 2010       06-02-2015, 8:36 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonblarc7 View Post
Thanks for the write up

I've been waiting on someone to do a good review on the G21. I spent so time in a G23 last year and fell in love with it but don't know if I could ever swing it and I would have to buy another diesel to pull it. But a G21 seems like so much better of a fit.

Got any wake pic's
Ill take some wake pics tonight and post them. There isn't much of a weight difference as far as towing between the g21 and g23 only 400lbs on trailer. I have and F250 but my friend towed his G23 and now his G21 with a Tundra so I don't think you would have any problem unless you have a V6 in your truck (non ecoboost or diesel v6).
Old     (tyler97217)      Join Date: Aug 2004       06-02-2015, 8:43 AM Reply   
Sweet boat. Congrats!!!
Old     (downfortheride)      Join Date: Jun 2005 Location: SLC, UT 5600'       06-02-2015, 9:42 AM Reply   
Good write up! Can't wait to try and of the G's sometime...
Old     (jonblarc7)      Join Date: Jul 2006       06-02-2015, 10:30 AM Reply   
what's the total weight of the boat???
Old     (jonblarc7)      Join Date: Jul 2006       06-02-2015, 10:39 AM Reply   
Guess I could have looked it up

5200 G21

And

5400 G23

Its crazy there that much heavier than my 24' supra and its 3850 dry
Old     (superair502)      Join Date: Mar 2010       06-02-2015, 11:33 AM Reply   
yea my axis a24 was 4500 (I think) dry and the G21 is still that much heavier, its really crazy. I think the heft of the G series boats are attributable to all the quality, heavy materials that are used. Everything on the boat feels solid and feels like you wouldn't break anything on the boat even if you wanted to. Not that other brands don't use quality materials but I think nautique really goes above and beyond in fit and finish. Not to mention that's like having an additional 1k in ballast before you fill anything.
Old     (cbarguy1)      Join Date: Dec 2012       06-02-2015, 12:32 PM Reply   
Nice write up Mase, though it sounds a little like a commercial. No disrespect meant. I've owned a CC in the past and believe them to be the best built boats in the wake world. A friend has a G23 and the quality and solid feel of everything on the boat is unreal. My only wish is that they figure out how to make them look better. They are the Gumpert of boats. Its not just the G boats either. The new MCs (x20 & 23) suffer the same high pants look. Its due in part to the freeboard required to keep them afloat with all the ballast but Malibu manages to keep their boats looking good while performing competitively. The MXZ is a good example.

That said, the G21 seems like the right size/performance blend for a lot of well to do buyers. Enjoy!

Last edited by cbarguy1; 06-02-2015 at 12:38 PM.
Old     (YYCBoarder)      Join Date: Apr 2013       06-02-2015, 12:49 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbarguy1 View Post
Nice write up Mase, though it sounds a little like a commercial. No disrespect meant. I've owned a CC in the past and believe them to be the best built boats in the wake world. A friend has a G23 and the quality and solid feel of everything on the boat is unreal. My only wish is that they figure out how to make them look better. They are the Gumpert of boats. Its not just the G boats either. The new MCs (x20 & 23) suffer the same high pants look. Its due in part to the freeboard required to keep them afloat with all the ballast but Malibu manages to keep their boats looking good while performing competitively. The MXZ is a good example.

That said, the G21 seems like the right size/performance blend for a lot of well to do buyers. Enjoy!

I think that looks are the only thing that's more subjective than which boat has the best wake. lol

I personally love the G look and especially the interior.....but I am somewhat biased. I do like the MC, BU, supra, etc. looks as well though.
Old     (brhanley)      Join Date: Jun 2001       06-02-2015, 1:32 PM Reply   
Got my first G21 experience this weekend and I think Mase is spot on. My crew has old gen SANs and a 205 (so a bit outdated/small by today's standards) for my usual rides, and the G wake seemed like a 205 wake with a 210 wake on top! Unreal wake. But we also had 8 adults and 2 kids and everyone had plenty of space to stretch out in comfort with full ballast, the soft cooler under the seat and a bigger cooler in the boat. Would be shoulder to shoulder in my 210 with all those people, and pretty uncomfortable. Probably the only thing I noticed that would take some getting used to is getting on and off the boat on dryland...it's so darned high and sticks over the sides of the trailers....almost needs a running rail or handrail or something to get on and off. If you have the means, I highly recommend picking one up.
Old     (migs)      Join Date: Aug 2006 Location: SF Bay Area       06-02-2015, 2:12 PM Reply   
"Everything on the boat feels solid and feels like you wouldn't break anything on the boat even if you wanted to" = Nautiques
Old     (amsterdamn)      Join Date: Aug 2014       06-02-2015, 7:29 PM Reply   
maybe the reason they seam so solid is because they are little baby tug boats! anyways sweet boat mase would love to have one for myself someday.
Old     (Nordicron)      Join Date: Aug 2011       06-03-2015, 4:56 AM Reply   
I love the G series boats like no other and appreciate your review! But to be honest u kinda lost me bragging up that fuel economy! No way is it more efficient than a 210. Unless your wake sets are baby sets and surf set is 5mins long for u your easily over 50gals. Also cruising across the lake, your getting no better than 3mpg so that's another 7gals right there.

Now I'm not saying your using 16gal an hr like some are saying but to say your using less fuel than a 210 is unbelievable. Your just another person on ww that has no clue how to calc their fuel consumption. Some Tige guys are like that in here...
Old     (superair502)      Join Date: Mar 2010       06-03-2015, 5:56 AM Reply   
MAN... doubters. To be honest this boat really is that efficient. I will time it and top it off after we get off the lake tonight and give a true calculation. Like I said I think the G23s with the older transmission were heavy on fuel consumption but with the new transmission this think literally jumps out of the hole. I will have to time it but its around 10 seconds I think. Also I set the ncrs to auto deploy in the most aggressive setting and then retract to level 5 once the boat is on plane. I think that having a huge trim plate assisting in the boat getting up every time really makes a difference. I am coming from an Axis a24 with the LS3 which we ran with wedge and plug and play and the G is way better on fuel. I will get a true calculation tonight.
Old     (Nordicron)      Join Date: Aug 2011       06-03-2015, 6:19 AM Reply   
[QUOTE
Now I'm not saying your using 16gal an hr like some are saying but to say your using less fuel than a 210 is unbelievable. That or your just another person on ww that has no clue how to calc their fuel consumption. Some Tige guys are like that in here...[/QUOTE]

Sorry just re-read my post that sounded kinda like a a$$. Little bit of typo there. Didn't mean to say u had no clue. Well did but only if u say it's as good as a 210!

But your right that plate(auto launch) is huge in getting these boats on plane! That's exactly the reason I out tabs on my boat. As for tranny and prop Im sure that helps also as I've seen the YouTube comparison that N3 did between g's with the new tranny.
Old     (superair502)      Join Date: Mar 2010       06-03-2015, 6:37 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordicron View Post
[QUOTE
Now I'm not saying your using 16gal an hr like some are saying but to say your using less fuel than a 210 is unbelievable. That or your just another person on ww that has no clue how to calc their fuel consumption. Some Tige guys are like that in here...

Sorry just re-read my post that sounded kinda like a a$$. Little bit of typo there. Didn't mean to say u had no clue. Well did but only if u say it's as good as a 210!

But your right that plate(auto launch) is huge in getting these boats on plane! That's exactly the reason I out tabs on my boat. As for tranny and prop Im sure that helps also as I've seen the YouTube comparison that N3 did between g's with the new tranny.[/QUOTE]

Your good. I understand that people could be skeptical as I really am supposed to promotr the boat, but really it is awesome because it promotes itself. I really could not be happier at all with the boat. I understand how you are skeptical about fuel consumption but considering the boat only has I think a 50 gallon tank it really is very efficient. (my axis had an 80 gallon) I will try to get some concrete number on how it does. Gives me an excuse to get out tonight!

Last edited by superair502; 06-03-2015 at 6:38 AM. Reason: apelling
Old     (superair502)      Join Date: Mar 2010       06-03-2015, 6:38 AM Reply   
not sure what happened there ^
Old     (OneCent)      Join Date: Jul 2010       06-03-2015, 8:15 AM Reply   
With my G21 - 409 - full ballast - i have around 6-7 gph with > 80% of the time wakeboarding and wakesurfing, the rest i'm idling in/out of the harbor and to the gas station. Its closer to 6 gph ....

Last edited by OneCent; 06-03-2015 at 8:18 AM.
Old     (superair502)      Join Date: Mar 2010       06-03-2015, 8:17 AM Reply   
I think that's pretty close to what I have seen which is exceptional compared to what people have said about the G.
Old     (Nordicron)      Join Date: Aug 2011       06-03-2015, 10:15 AM Reply   
Yeah 6-7 is pretty average from what most report on here. Good to know that the G is coming in at that range considering it's actually heavier than what most people run loaded up!!! 5400 dry weight and factory 2800lbs ballast is crazy! I know my boat(San 210)sacked with full piggy and 500 lead is still 1500lbs lighter than a G! Crazy! And to think it has almost same fuel use, pretty cool.
Old     (superair502)      Join Date: Mar 2010       06-03-2015, 11:38 AM Reply   
Yea its pretty hard to believe. I think the ncrs and the 17 inch prop have a lot to do with it. With all that weight we are still running about 3800 rpm at wakeboard speed (23.7) with full ballast. The prop and transmission actually have so much torque that even if the boat is weighted evenly it pulls it over to the starboard side a little so you have to fill a little more on the passenger side even with a second person sitting on that side.
Old     (superair502)      Join Date: Mar 2010       06-03-2015, 5:06 PM Reply   
Here's a shot of the wake. This is my friend he is 6 foot 4 at 70ft and 22.5mph
Attached Images

Old     (superair502)      Join Date: Mar 2010       06-03-2015, 5:10 PM Reply   
Here is another of me. I am 6 ft riding 75ft at 23.5 mph. Both pics are full factory ballast NCRS at 3 with 2 people in the boat
Attached Images

Old     (wiscxstar)      Join Date: Mar 2002       06-03-2015, 6:07 PM Reply   
That is a sweet wake!
Old     (seth)      Join Date: Sep 2002       06-03-2015, 8:54 PM Reply   
That wake looks good!! Do they throw in the knee braces with purchase of a G?
Old     (superair502)      Join Date: Mar 2010       06-04-2015, 9:56 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by seth View Post
That wake looks good!! Do they throw in the knee braces with purchase of a G?
I wish! The good lord knows I need them after 2 ACLs and 3 surgeries on my right knee. Im still out there ripping though!
Old     (kenv)      Join Date: May 2002       06-06-2015, 11:12 PM Reply   
Nice write up. I just picked mine up and have not hit the water yet.....due to crazy weekend schedules and NO water one day...then TOO MUCH water 24 hours later...lol We have be pounded down here in Texas. Most lakes have been closed since Memorial Day due to high water at the ramps and debris floating. Here's a pic of my G21 if someone wants to see a different color than Mase's. Have a safe summer.
Attached Images

Old     (SICKSPEED)      Join Date: May 2015       06-07-2015, 12:11 AM Reply   
Absolutely love the boat. I`d love to own one some day.
Old     (OneCent)      Join Date: Jul 2010       06-07-2015, 6:51 AM Reply   
Red and Blue are great colors for a boat...
Old     (superair502)      Join Date: Mar 2010       06-07-2015, 5:48 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneCent View Post
Red and Blue are great colors for a boat...
Really cannot tell if that is sarcasm or not
Old     (superair502)      Join Date: Mar 2010       06-07-2015, 5:49 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenv View Post
Nice write up. I just picked mine up and have not hit the water yet.....due to crazy weekend schedules and NO water one day...then TOO MUCH water 24 hours later...lol We have be pounded down here in Texas. Most lakes have been closed since Memorial Day due to high water at the ramps and debris floating. Here's a pic of my G21 if someone wants to see a different color than Mase's. Have a safe summer.
Great looking G ... Which engine option you go with?
Old     (kenv)      Join Date: May 2002       06-07-2015, 8:48 PM Reply   
Thanks Mase....went with the 409. I won't run any weight above stock so i'm good with the 409. I personally think Red, Blue, White, Black, Gunmetal (my last color), Orange, etc.....are all pretty cool colors for these boats. At least we have the options to choose from....both solid and flake. If it was sarcasm above....it's not even worth a response.