Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through July 08, 2003

Old     (srh00z)      Join Date: Jun 2003       06-26-2003, 10:13 PM Reply   
I have looked into a tower for my I/O and like the Monster, but I am afraid my glass is a little thin and I am looking into other options instead of reinforcing it. My boat has a sundeck. I thought of building a replacement and permanently affixing decking on either side of the motor and leaving an area in the middle that would open and give plenty of access to the motor. I would mount a tower like the Rival that can be seen on www.wakedesigns.com that would angle towards the bow to bring the tow point in. The question is would good plywood and metal braces mounted to the transom be sufficient to mount a tower too? Sorry for the long post, just an idea I had.
Old     (bob)      Join Date: Feb 2001       06-26-2003, 11:09 PM Reply   
just have someone who can do fibreglass work add some strength to the area where you will be mounting the tower by glassing in a piece of wood or metal to stiffen the area.
Old    leggester            06-27-2003, 6:23 AM Reply   
Personally, I don't like the idea. The tow point would be too far back and you'd be amazed at how that will effect the boat performance.

There's a reason the tow points are around the middle, fore and aft, of the boat.
Old     (cinder1995)      Join Date: Aug 2002       06-27-2003, 9:46 AM Reply   
I have a '91 outboard. I was a little concerned about that too. But I reinforced it with as large as a piece of wood that would fit and it's been there for a little over year with no problems. I've pulled a 275 pounder with ease. You'll be fine.
Old     (srh00z)      Join Date: Jun 2003       06-27-2003, 12:30 PM Reply   
That is what I like about this site, you guys humored me with an answer. I guess I'll revisit the idea of the Monster. Eric, did you use any fiberglass over the board?
Old    chris_hargis            06-27-2003, 8:55 PM Reply   
I also installed a Joystick Rollcage on my 2001 Procraft using wood as a backing plate to beef it up and have had it on for 2 years with no problems at all. I didn't add any fiberglass to my boat at all, but you could if you are really worried about it.
Old     (cinder1995)      Join Date: Aug 2002       06-30-2003, 10:29 AM Reply   
No. I just used a piece of 3/4" plywood. The only maintenance i've done to it, is tightened the bolts occassionally. Try to place the legs of the tower on as big of a flat spot on the boat as you can find. The larger backplate will dispurse the force over more of an area....By the way I have a Barewest tower.
Old     (monstertower)      Join Date: Mar 2003       07-03-2003, 8:22 PM Reply   
It's not totally uncommon for people to mount their towers more aft on a boat