Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through July 28, 2004

Old    lplateson            07-20-2004, 10:27 AM Reply   
just wondering, is Wake boarding an olympic sport?if not any plans for it to be one
Old     (kstateskier)      Join Date: May 2002       07-20-2004, 1:05 PM Reply   
Wakeboarding isn't an Olympic sport and probably will not be for some time to come. USA Water Ski has been promoting water skiing hard for the Olympics for years and is a USOC member and still hasn't been accepted, so I doubt wakeboarding which isn't a USOC member has a chance for a long time to come. Skiing was supposed to be a trial sport in Athens but was axed when the IOC decided their were too many sports as it is.
Old     (dococ)      Join Date: Mar 2002       07-20-2004, 7:18 PM Reply   
One of the issues is that the Olympics places some value on maintaining the traditional emphasis on "human-powered" sports (i.e., those not requiring the assistance of machines to perform them), although I'm sure there must be other exceptions.
Old    murrayair            07-21-2004, 3:51 AM Reply   
A lot of people(myself included) think of the X-games as the olympics for extreme sports. The olympics are for more mainstream sports.
Old     (mango)      Join Date: Mar 2004       07-21-2004, 7:54 AM Reply   
I would rather watch the X-Games than the Olympics anyday because its way more exciting and extreme as mark says. Nothing beats seeing the pro snowboarders in the Halfpipe & Terrain Park during the Winter X-Games or Tony Hawks 900 in the Summer!

I would rather see wakeboarding be in the x-games than the olympics.
Old    r_dub            07-21-2004, 8:03 AM Reply   
Ok, but there are a few events that need to go away in the X-games. Im sorry, but Street Luge is one of them. And I swear that it seems like it gets more coverage then anything else. Drives me crazy! I hate sitting there listening to people say how INSANE It is. Dude, you are two inches off the ground, not very far to fall now is it. And they are wearing leather suites that are meant to be worn when crashing on a freakin superbike. Give me a break. And how many people really do this sport. Anyone of us that has any freakin balls and cordination could be pro within a freakin year.
I would say the only "EXTREME SPORT" (I hate that phrase) that is lower on the food chain would be those goofy soap shoe's for extreme walking or whatever they call it.
Ok, sorry. Im done bitchin now.

(Message edited by r_dub on July 21, 2004)
Old    r_dub            07-21-2004, 9:42 AM Reply   
Man, its been an hour and no one posted. I thought for sure I was going to piss someone of with that comment, lol.
Old     (mango)      Join Date: Mar 2004       07-21-2004, 11:11 AM Reply   
Street Luging should go away and i don't care how hardcore it is when people say they fall off or crash into the barriers its a dumb sport. Why don't we have Scooter Racing or Hot Wheels Racing down a road?
Old    bandit33            07-21-2004, 11:21 AM Reply   
I'm still trying to figure out what soap shoes are....
I would have to agree that wakeboarding is probably more appropriate for the x games.
Old     (hymaeringo)      Join Date: Jul 2004       07-21-2004, 11:29 AM Reply   
wakeboarding to the general public is so complex it blows their mind and they lose interest bc they don't comprehend the skill that it takes to hit a bliond pete of a doubleup. to them it is just another "flip with a spin type thing" KGB, Pete, crow5, whirly..blah blah blah. its like trying to watch soccer if you don't like it. down with street luge, female vert rollerblading is borderline as well.
Old    r_dub            07-21-2004, 11:45 AM Reply   
Yeah Don, these guys are serious!
http://www.soapshoes.com/grinding/the_scene.html
Old     (hymaeringo)      Join Date: Jul 2004       07-21-2004, 11:50 AM Reply   
that is horrible....damn freestyle walking! bet that be in the olympics before wakeboarding, and if it is I don't want wakeboarding in either.
Old    r_dub            07-21-2004, 11:53 AM Reply   
I remember the first X-Games had bungee jumping. Now, how you ask could they judge bungee jumping? Well they had an originality category. I remember one guy went off on a Kayak. I admit, I keep watching, in hope that one of them would try it with the bungee around their neck!

(Message edited by r_dub on July 21, 2004)
Old     (mango)      Join Date: Mar 2004       07-21-2004, 12:00 PM Reply   
I'm waiting for the day they make the Nathan's Hotdog eating contest an olympic sport.

Old    r_dub            07-21-2004, 12:08 PM Reply   
Man, I have way to much time on my hands today.
Check this out!
http://www.ifoce.com/
Old    r_dub            07-21-2004, 1:06 PM Reply   
Come on, there is no way someone clicked on that link and has nothing to say about it.
Old     (toolfan)      Join Date: Jul 2003       07-21-2004, 1:11 PM Reply   
i just bookmarked it. now i have something to shoot for. F*** a 540 Osmosis. Im going for the ribs record.
Old    bandit33            07-21-2004, 1:16 PM Reply   
Well, now I know all about soapshoeing and now I know that there is an official competitive eating site. I've got to get out more often, I guess. I'll stick with wakeboarding I think.