Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through August 20, 2005

Old     (gnelson)      Join Date: Jun 2003       07-25-2005, 8:09 AM Reply   
Well I think its happened to me now. I used to hate reading these posts of people blowing out there knees but I just vent a little. THIS SUCKS! It was my third jump of the day and just warming up when I came up short, cased the wake and felt my knee buckle and a POP! I knew it was trouble right away. My knee felt alright at first. It was sore but I could stand on the swim deck. But I knew I had problems after reading all the posts on here. My knee ached all last night and I cant walk on it. Im sitting here this morning waiting for the doctors office to open so I can go get the terrible news.
Old     (wakeguru)      Join Date: Feb 2003       07-25-2005, 8:18 AM Reply   
Venting online is all part of the healing process. lol

Take care of that knee man - I wouldn't assume anything at this point, so stay positive.
Old    tommcat            07-25-2005, 8:44 AM Reply   
it my not be as bad as you think. i've injured mine a number of times and it was just a sprain or partial ligament tear that reqired ice and rest. i've even done it to mine a couple of times since the knee reconstruction last year.
stay positive
Old     (gnelson)      Join Date: Jun 2003       07-25-2005, 8:50 AM Reply   
Thank guys, I really hope your right and that its just a sprain or a partial tear. I've never had a knee injury before so the unknown is whats killing me at this point. It was killing last night but feels a lot better this morning after icing. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that its not blown out. Thanks for the encouragement.
Old     (ivyrider)      Join Date: Jan 2004       07-25-2005, 8:56 AM Reply   
if its feeling better, you may be one of the lucky ones. When I blew mine last summer, I couldn't stand on it. I dislocated my knee cap, blew MCL, ACL and miniscus. I knew what happened when I did it, and it wasn't a good feeling.

I will keep my fingers crossed for you. Chin Up.
Old    tommcat            07-25-2005, 9:00 AM Reply   
just keep using the R.I.C.E therapy.
Rest
Ice
Compression
Elevation
if you have any questions after the doc visit feel free to PM me, i've been through it all with both knees. All hockey related but same results.
tom
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       07-25-2005, 9:02 PM Reply   
if it felt okay at first, it's probably not major. When you blow out your knee, it hurts immediately.
Old     (dave27)      Join Date: May 2005       07-26-2005, 1:39 PM Reply   
ACL blow out feels like you snapped you leg in half and then about five minutes later it just feels kinda normal, just weak. You should be just fine.
Old     (gnelson)      Join Date: Jun 2003       07-26-2005, 2:53 PM Reply   
Just got back from my first appointment and the doc thinks I have a torn meniscus. However, it's not official until we get the MRI. My MRI is going to take 1-2 weeks to get an appt. That seems crazy to have to wait that long to see whats up. Anyway, he also said maybe a partial tear in my crucial ligament (inside of knee, forgot which one that is) which is least of my worries. I'm not sure what to think at this point because it depends on how bad of a meniscus tear to determine recovery. I am in very minimal pain if any unless I try and put pressure on it which could be a good sign. Anyone have this type of injury. Im going to do a search, but it seems like you here of way more CL injuries. Thanks
Old    tommcat            07-26-2005, 5:54 PM Reply   
tore mine when i tore my snapped my ACL, the ligament is the bigger concern of the 2.
Old     (jeff359)      Join Date: Jun 2005       07-26-2005, 6:00 PM Reply   
Meniscus is no biggy. Both mine have been torn, you be fine if that's all it is.
Old     (gnelson)      Join Date: Jun 2003       07-26-2005, 6:36 PM Reply   
That puts a big smile on my face. Sounds like I'm very lucky if that's what the MRI reports.
Old     (ivyrider)      Join Date: Jan 2004       07-26-2005, 7:15 PM Reply   
Your MCL is the ligament on the inside of your knee. if you have a partial tear and its a vertical tear, its liable to repair itself. They put a few stitches in mine when I blew that one, and it was already healing already (surgery 4 months after injury). The fact that they are waiting for a week or two for the MRI is a good sign. If they rushed you right in to the MRI, I would be more concerned. Good luck!!
Old     (zeda)      Join Date: Nov 2004       07-26-2005, 8:51 PM Reply   
Lots of mountain biking....lots of moutain biking!!! I have sprained both of my knees multiple times skiing and find that climbing on a mountain bike increases my knee strength and makes those hard landings (when you come up a little short or go way bigger than expected) a little easier.

Good luck and work your a$$ off during PT and rehab and you will come back stronger than ever.