Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through May 12, 2008

Old     (steezyshots)      Join Date: Feb 2008       04-21-2008, 11:18 AM Reply   
So i have been hitting the gym but don't seem to be getting results for wakeboarding anybody got any good workouts to help your riding? Seems like the older i get the harder it is to connect with the grabs on my moves. Some good circuit training is probably needed.
Old     (sinkoumn)      Join Date: Jan 2007       04-21-2008, 11:23 AM Reply   
balance boarding, weighted handle passes in the backyard, jump in trampoline.

If you're having trouble with grabs you might want to work on your flexibility more than anything.
Old     (steezyshots)      Join Date: Feb 2008       04-21-2008, 11:26 AM Reply   
yeah i think thats where i need to concentrate.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       04-21-2008, 11:34 AM Reply   
P90X

http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/4387/535742.html?1208800499

If you're not doing Plyometrics, you're not as ready as you could be.

P90 focusses on strength, balance, flexibility, and endurance. If you have an hour a day, you can't beat it with a gym workout.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       04-21-2008, 11:35 AM Reply   
by the way, I'm a coach, email me on the side if you have questions.
Old     (steezyshots)      Join Date: Feb 2008       04-21-2008, 11:50 AM Reply   
sick thank you!
Old     (showmedonttellme)      Join Date: Mar 2008       04-21-2008, 1:09 PM Reply   
Just come do CrossFit with me Riley. Its free.
Old     (showmedonttellme)      Join Date: Mar 2008       04-21-2008, 1:10 PM Reply   
www.crossfit.com
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       04-21-2008, 1:19 PM Reply   
I clicked on "What is Crossfit" and read. I still don't know what Crossfit is.

Are their facilities you visit? Is this a workout routine?
Old     (steezyshots)      Join Date: Feb 2008       04-21-2008, 1:24 PM Reply   
corby where do you work out?
Old     (showmedonttellme)      Join Date: Mar 2008       04-21-2008, 1:26 PM Reply   
Fitness 180 in rsvl. Its a dump, like a high school gym, but you can't really do CF in a normal gym anyways. Tough to say "Hey I'm using the PU bar, the squat rack, and the GHD" I go everyday at lunch around noon.
Old     (steezyshots)      Join Date: Feb 2008       04-21-2008, 1:27 PM Reply   
Hmm i am a 24 hour member
Old     (showmedonttellme)      Join Date: Mar 2008       04-21-2008, 1:31 PM Reply   
so Am I, i just never go there anymore unless its a simple wod like Row 5k. Cant wait for Saturday Bro!!
Old     (steezyshots)      Join Date: Feb 2008       04-21-2008, 1:58 PM Reply   
this weekend is gonna be full of debauchery!
Old     (mammoth)      Join Date: Apr 2005       04-21-2008, 2:29 PM Reply   
Crossfit is a total performance based workout program. It's similar to P90X in that there is a large focus on flexibility and balance...core coordination type stuff. What you see on the home page is the WOD, which is to be done (typically with measures for time, sometimes for numbers of reps within a time frame) following a standard warm-up. The warm-up is enough to kick most peoples rears.

There are scaled workouts available because the full-scale WOD is pretty hard core. I'd love to see one of the WW P90X graduates take a stab at crossfit for a week or three and report back. I'm doing P90X as a kind of 'boot camp' to lose some pounds and gain strength then scale up my Crossfit WOD's.

Crossfit is a little more equipment intensive than P90X but still doesn't require a full blown gym. There are crossfit gyms that cater to the program, but most do it at home. The methodology is popular amongst combative and gymnastic sports, and has been taken up by the military and civil service units.

If you saw the site today then you saw this at the top...
"Back Squat 5-5-5-5-5 reps"

That means that the only excersize today is back squat. You would perform the max weight that you could successfully complete 5 reps of...and you would do that 5 times.

The warmup that comes before this would be three rounds of the following:
Sampson Stretch - 20 seconds
Back extensions - 20
Sit Ups - 20
Pull Ups - 20
Dips - 20

As mentioned above, everything can be scaled...but on days like today everyone would do the same, adjusted for their 5 rep weight.

Scroll down to see other WOD's. Lots of variety. 3 days on, 1 off.

Some great youtube vids of WOD's also. Search Crossfit. Especially the chicks, Annie rocks!
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       04-21-2008, 2:46 PM Reply   
So that's the workout for today?

25 squats
Back extensions - 20
Sit Ups - 20
Pull Ups - 20
Dips - 20

?
Old     (w00taz)      Join Date: Jun 2007       04-21-2008, 2:48 PM Reply   
3 rounds of the 20's (warmup) then the 5-5-5-5 squats.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       04-21-2008, 2:55 PM Reply   
ahhhh...that's more like it.

My legs and calf are sore as hell from p90 right now, so that sounds painfull
Old     (showmedonttellme)      Join Date: Mar 2008       04-21-2008, 3:10 PM Reply   
J-Rod (met you in Reno for World's last year, but no one remembers lol). Today we did the Warm-Up, we do 3 rounds of 15 of the stuff posted above. Then you warmup your squat (2 sets of 135#), then I went to 155 for a couple. Then started my 5 sets of 5. Did 185, 205, 225, 245 and 275. Thats an easy day really. Some of the wods like Fran and Filthy Fifty are amazingly difficult. Plus almost all the wods are for time, so you're always trying to better what you did last time. Painful stuff.
Old     (w00taz)      Join Date: Jun 2007       04-21-2008, 3:23 PM Reply   
re: crossfit I see this as just an example not an accurate bird's eye view of the whole thing but if this type of workout happened more than 2 times a week this workout would have me gaining a lot of muscle weight really fast.

The problem lies in that I could do 60 of each of these exercises with no additional weight no rest just start 60 done. I could not do the 60 pullups without assistance because I am a heavy guy. LOL @ 25 squats as much weight as I could do. 25 reps of 285 wouldn't be much problem. My legs wouldn't fit in any board shorts because my hips (around pubic area) explode with much leg workout at all unless it's some sort of intense cardio. Don't get me wrong I am all about the "squat till you puke" mentality for some people but it doesn't work for everyone. PLEASE don't interpret this as me saying this doesn't work. If you get the results you are looking for in this type of workout don't take this as criticism but this type of workout wouldn't do a big guy like myself much good other than stack on the weight.

re: p90x I saw the thread Jarrod posted before and really thing it's the way to go for someone like me. I have been talking myself out of buying it since I read the thread here. It would help lose the fat and gain lean muscle, agility, and endurance. I have no problems going in a gym and killing myself on a daily basis but the fat loss is the hard part for me. I think the p90x will keep the cadrio interesting.
Old     (showmedonttellme)      Join Date: Mar 2008       04-21-2008, 3:35 PM Reply   
You may not do the same workout for two months, its completely random. Tomorrow could be 3 rounds run 400 meters, 21 KB swings with the 55lb KB, and 12 PUs, for time, or something to that effect. I will be puking. But I'm with you whatever works and to each his own.
Old     (mammoth)      Join Date: Apr 2005       04-21-2008, 5:36 PM Reply   
"If you get the results you are looking for in this type of workout don't take this as criticism but this type of workout wouldn't do a big guy like myself much good other than stack on the weight."

Every indication that I saw researching CF, is that this couldn't be further from the truth. People who come to CF looking to gain mass are steered elsewhere. Big guys typically lose mass with CF in the long run. It's not for people looking to "get big", nor is it even for people who want to look 'cut'...it's for people who want to perform.

The forums are also full of people who have read about the program and think it sounds to easy. There are none who have honestly taken it up and say the same. If it's easy, you aren't doing it right...as there is a competetive element and you should be working to do the WODs faster or with greater loads. There is also a gymnastics component that isn't mentioned much.

I can't argue any of this first-hand...I'm a fat guy that struggles to do any of it. But since starting CF and P90X I do know that I'm stronger, and I feel better riding!
Old     (live4water)      Join Date: Feb 2008       04-22-2008, 7:08 AM Reply   
STRETCH EVERYDAY!!! trust me...for swimming our coach made us start stretching once a day or if we could twice a day everyday! and within two weeks i could see a difference in my flexability..it will definitely help you reach your grabs
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       04-22-2008, 8:22 AM Reply   
Jarrod, I rarely remember anything from the Reno trips! Sorry bud! Anything you can remind me of that would refreash my memory? Where exactly did we meet? Help me make the connection!

Scott. I don't understand your post.

You said, "I saw the thread Jarrod posted before and really think it's the way to go for someone like me."

Then you said, "I have been talking myself out of buying it since I read the thread here"

Why is that?
Old     (steezyshots)      Join Date: Feb 2008       04-22-2008, 9:06 AM Reply   
I did the WOD last night for cross fit,

It worked me! Good shiz!
Old     (showmedonttellme)      Join Date: Mar 2008       04-22-2008, 9:36 AM Reply   
uh-oh. riley drank the Cool-Aid. Welcome to CrossCult. hahaha. Weighted PUs today. Going for a personal record.
Old     (lovin_the_wake)      Join Date: Jul 2007       04-22-2008, 10:39 AM Reply   
I just do 3/10 pushups, 3/15 crunches, 3/10 squats (against the wall), 3/15 calf raises, 3/10 tricep dips, and 3/10 leg raises with no weights on anything. It works for me I never get tired when I board and I'm never sore anymore

(Message edited by lovin_the_wake on April 22, 2008)
Old     (w00taz)      Join Date: Jun 2007       04-22-2008, 10:15 PM Reply   
j-rod lol. All the excuses a man can think of to not workout. I just got back in the swing of weights and need to slow it down. I played 4 years of highschool football plus weights for basketball the summer before my freshman year in HS. We did the stiggins weight training (light but to fail 12-8 reps 3 weeks, heavier 8-5 reps 3 weeks, heaviest 5-3 reps 3 weeks, test again and start it over) all core olympic lifts. It's been almost 8 years (light inconsistent weights here and there for a month then quit). Getting back in weights I have the tendency to go big, low reps and gain size and strength. I don't have much pride in the weight room so slapping on a pair of 10's or 5's on a 45lbs bar doesn't phase me it's just not what I am used to. We did a ton of hardcore agility stuff in football I miss a lot. We jumped boxes, foot agility work, speed training and balance stuff I couldn't do without something like the "garage gyms" the crossfit thing implements. I try to do the caveman diet thing but where I work it's like all greasy spoon truck stops type food around so it's hard to find roughage and nuts the abundance of meat is usually fried or red w/ the fat left on, or covered in buns. Thank god for wendy's salads! My wife has been a magnificent help through my whole get fit craze. It's a matter of time before I get the p90x I am sure. The main thing is being in good enough basic shape to live through the first dvd. Hence most of my procrastination.
Old    nwwakerider            04-22-2008, 10:57 PM Reply   
i do a ton of cardio and have been doing crunches, and i recently bought the perfect pushup. its working well for me. it will be the first time i have gotten into shape before wakeboarding season starts
Old     (lovin_the_wake)      Join Date: Jul 2007       04-23-2008, 1:28 PM Reply   
pretty much any kind of working out will help lessen the chances of an injury . . . . well some injuries
Old     (lovin_the_wake)      Join Date: Jul 2007       04-23-2008, 1:32 PM Reply   
by the way the ECG (Ephedrine, Caffeine, & Greet Tea Extract) stack works really well for anyone trying to lose a few pounds
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       04-23-2008, 1:54 PM Reply   
Can you still buy Ephedrine?
Old     (lovin_the_wake)      Join Date: Jul 2007       04-23-2008, 2:08 PM Reply   
Yeah they're just a little more controlled now and they don't make em any bigger than 25mg which has been proven to be the "safe recommended dose" It's also been proven to help people with Asthma

https://www.sbmuscle.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWCATS&Category=263

(Message edited by lovin_the_wake on April 23, 2008)
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       04-23-2008, 2:10 PM Reply   
I think the earlier ephedra products might have taken a few years off of my life.

Many nights, wide awake, asking myself if fat burning was worth sleep depuration..

That stuff was like legal meth.
Old     (lovin_the_wake)      Join Date: Jul 2007       04-23-2008, 2:14 PM Reply   
yeah I hear ya I did the same thing with Ephedra but back then most pills that had Ephedra in them had between 50mg and 75mg per pill which is just crazy . . . if taken responsibly it can be used in a good way (if that makes sense)
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       04-23-2008, 2:32 PM Reply   
oops....Deprivation
Old     (lovin_the_wake)      Join Date: Jul 2007       04-23-2008, 2:33 PM Reply   
lol I didn't even notice
Old     (shon_g)      Join Date: Apr 2007       04-23-2008, 3:30 PM Reply   
So this program like P90X can be done at home? I know the one thing I really like about P90X is you can do it at home in your living room. With crossfit it looks like you need a a bunch of room for all the equipment. I didn't see any cardio, yoga, or stretching routines. It does look intense, but with P90X you get a completely well rounded routine. Not just strength training. I believe that the cardio, Yoga and stretching routines have done more for me then the strength training has. Dont get me wrong...I love the strength training as well.

By looking at the programs side by side I think the P90X program is a much better and well rounded program.

Just my opinion
Old     (jayme)      Join Date: Apr 2008       04-23-2008, 3:47 PM Reply   
I tried Crossfit the other day after someone told me about it - it kicked my ass. It was lots of light weight and body weight stuff for time. They called them functional movements. Probably be good for boarding.
Old     (lovin_the_wake)      Join Date: Jul 2007       04-23-2008, 4:48 PM Reply   
A friend of mine did the P90X for a while and he said it took a bit to get used to it but apparently its pretty effective
Old     (mammoth)      Join Date: Apr 2005       04-23-2008, 5:00 PM Reply   
Shon - If you genuinely want answers to your crossfit questions and comments, read this...

http://www.crossfit.com/cf-download/CFJ-trial.pdf

A comprehensive crossfit regimen includes gymnastics and participation in varied sports. Regarding the appropriate application of cardio concepts, note the phosphagen, glycolotic, and oxidative pathways approach to performance. There is definately no shortage of "cardio", it's just that Crossfit recognizes that it's more complicated than cardio vs. strength and the training patterns adjust accordingly. With a glance at 2 or 3 WOD's, you can't get an idea as to how these apply but if you do them for a month it makes a lot more sense. Do a couple of the female named workouts (Metabolic Conditioning, aka 'metcons') for time then come back and tell us there's no cardio in Crossfit, I dare ya!

What is missing from Crossfit, as you have mentioned...is a good stretching regiment. The dedicated and fit CF'er would include this as part of gymnastics and sports, but you're left to do this on your own.

I think a true CF lifestyle is more well rounded and comprehensive than P90X, it's just not broken down and turned into a follow-the-bouncing-ball-for-quick-results type program. It's meant to be a long-term sustainable program that covers all bases.

All that said, I believe that P90X is providing me with a much faster path to better flexibility and strength. I absolutely need the guidance for stretching and longer cardio workouts that P90X provides at this point. After a round or 2 of P90X I intend to go back to CF for the long run.

CF is also definately more equipment intensive. It's easy to sub for a lot of the gear, but you have to have an Olympic bar and weights, a pull up bar, dumbells, and a medicine ball.

(Message edited by mammoth on April 23, 2008)

(Message edited by mammoth on April 23, 2008)
Old     (showmedonttellme)      Join Date: Mar 2008       04-24-2008, 10:12 AM Reply   
http://media.crossfit.com/cf-video/CrossFitJax_Transformers.mov

They say MuscleUps are relatively easy. They arent for most. Rings are difficult.
Old     (w00taz)      Join Date: Jun 2007       04-24-2008, 8:35 PM Reply   
that video is lol and more ridiculous weights. The conversation brought up originally by myself then asked again by offaxis is where's the cardio aspect? I must digress at the point that lifting this hardcore will indeed lose fat (partial lactic acid induced bulimia aka "squat till you puke") lol that's not healthy nor the point.
Old     (w00taz)      Join Date: Jun 2007       04-24-2008, 8:37 PM Reply   
just watched again lol @ the clown in the background. it's indeed sick to think this on a regular schedule is ok.

(Message edited by w00taz on April 24, 2008)
Old     (showmedonttellme)      Join Date: Mar 2008       04-24-2008, 9:06 PM Reply   
Clueless. Do those guys look like they arent getting enough Cardio? CF is all MetCon(Cardio), because most workouts are for time like todays WOD, Angie. And if they arent for time, they are so hard your body is puking. Those of us who do CF are happy when we see some load days like Deads or cleansin a row, because the majority of the time its Run 5k, or Run 400 meters, 21 KB swings, and 12 PUs. 3 Rounds for time. or worse run 800 meters. Enough preaching, keep doing your 45 minutes of stairmaster, back bis, chest tris, and wonder why you dont burn fat. LOL
Old     (w00taz)      Join Date: Jun 2007       04-25-2008, 10:49 AM Reply   
Obviously I am a moron on a treadmill with a weight gainer shake in my hand.

Good luck on your endeavors friend. Health and prosperity to you and your family.
Old     (showmedonttellme)      Join Date: Mar 2008       04-25-2008, 1:06 PM Reply   
I said that tongue-in-cheek Scott. No offense intended. If you want to really check out some psychos, look at these guys. They built the men in the movie 300. www.gymjones.com
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       04-25-2008, 1:31 PM Reply   
There is no better workout for wakeboarding than wakeboarding.... Get out there and ride. An hour a day will work wonders.