Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (stompsky)      Join Date: Sep 2010       11-04-2010, 7:37 PM Reply   
Hey Wakeboarders!

I'm a UC design sutdent and I've come up with some new helmet concepts and I would GREATLY appreciate your input and feedback in this phase of the design process before I move onto deciding on a final designs. If you could take 5 mins to fill out my survey it would be extremely helpful!

A pdf. of my designs is here:

https://www.yousendit.com/download/ dklxU2VqMGNRWUpFQlE9PQ

PLEASE fill out my feedback survey here (note: you need the pdf from above):

http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/PGVHCSP

THANK YOU RIDERS! SPREAD THE WORD! I NEED AS MUCH FEEDBACK AS I CAN GET!

If you prefer to e-mail me: gossss@mail.uc.edu
Old     (captain_542)      Join Date: Oct 2006       11-04-2010, 8:02 PM Reply   
Hey Sean you put a space in your html for the pdf. just letting ya know.

Design has some great points. not as stylish as say the capix backwards baseball cap but im sure an outer shell like you said would do the trick. there are a lot of good ideas in it.

integrating a water flow system from back to front as well as front to back and even side to side may help dissipate the smack straight to water. the integration into a jacket would be safe but neck articulation is important and any restrictions on movement is not desirable in my opinion.

What is this material that gets stiff on impact?

your drawing skills are pretty good too! good luck

on your survey i can only check one for each column instead of one for each row.

Last edited by captain_542; 11-04-2010 at 8:04 PM.
Old     (gnarslayer)      Join Date: Sep 2008       11-04-2010, 8:20 PM Reply   
heres an idea from me, i dont know if you will like it or not but yea.

so wakeboards have spines on the bottom to break the water for softer landings. so wouldnt something somewhat like spikes on the helmet break up the water.... just an idea.
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       11-04-2010, 10:57 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnarslayer View Post
heres an idea from me, i dont know if you will like it or not but yea.

so wakeboards have spines on the bottom to break the water for softer landings. so wouldnt something somewhat like spikes on the helmet break up the water.... just an idea.

a while back i thought about this pretty hard and did some research.
i thought about spines and stuff too, but another person pointed out that in the instance of crashes you never know when,how,where you will hit. a spine will work for one angle but at another angle it will only add surface area on impact, such as from the side. OR if your head was in a sense rotating into the water on a crash then spikes and such can grab the water as much as disrupt it.

i think the only texture that would work would be a plain smooth one or one with dimples such as with a golf-ball.

One of the things that disturbed me the most in my research is that wake helmets are designed with the same impact ratings as kayaking helmets. In Kayaking you don't reach speeds of 25 mph for the most part, except for the most extreme of. current helmets are technically not even up to standard for a wakeboarder hitting crazy obstacles in a sense. but anything is better than nothing

Last edited by wakerider111; 11-04-2010 at 11:01 PM.
Old     (stompsky)      Join Date: Sep 2010       11-05-2010, 9:47 AM Reply   
This is great feedback guys! and yes there is a a space in the pdf. link. you can remove it or use this one:

http://tinyurl.com/28x78gc

thanks for you help! please spread the world, and ill be sure to post my final her on wakeworld!

thanks!
Old     (digg311)      Join Date: Sep 2007       11-05-2010, 9:45 PM Reply   
Probably doesn't make a difference... but on the "Concept 1: Ninja" page, is the design supposed to read "wrap around comfort" or "warp around comfort"?