Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (kcxstar1)      Join Date: Mar 2010       07-16-2014, 9:43 AM Reply   
I have a 10" JL free air sub and the foam ring has come unglued from the cone. I figure I have nothing to lose trying to glue it back in the 4" area where it came unglued. Any suggestions?? It is 5 yrs old so no warranty and Ive been happy with it until it pulled apart. No tears, it just looks like the glue failed.
Old     (DavidAnalog)      Join Date: Sep 2013       07-16-2014, 10:55 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcxstar1 View Post
I have a 10" JL free air sub and the foam ring has come unglued from the cone. I figure I have nothing to lose trying to glue it back in the 4" area where it came unglued. Any suggestions?? It is 5 yrs old so no warranty and Ive been happy with it until it pulled apart. No tears, it just looks like the glue failed.
JL Audio's only infinite baffle subwoofer has a butyl rubber surround. And rubber is tougher to glue than foam. I would call JL Audio directly and see if they can recommend a glue that you can apply yourself in the field. Clean up and prep would be important. Clamping would be important (which seems difficult on the cone side rather than the basket side).
That's a domestic built sub so perhaps JL can repair it for you. Also, Parts Express sells re-coning and speaker repair kits. Maybe they can sell you the right glue for rubber to a polymer cone and provide some instruction. There are speaker repair facilities all over the country. Freeman Tuell (or something close to that) here in Dallas, Texas. If a 4" span has failed then I do not trust the remaining circumference long term. You might have a pro do it.
Old     (kcxstar1)      Join Date: Mar 2010       07-16-2014, 1:42 PM Reply   
I figured I would probably take a stab at it before I try to replace or repair at a shop. Not sure how I would clamp without specialty tools as it is a small recessed area. Nothing I have would fit and still clamp. Definately out of my area of expertise. Thanks for the info DavidAnalog!
Old     (DavidAnalog)      Join Date: Sep 2013       07-16-2014, 2:08 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcxstar1 View Post
I figured I would probably take a stab at it before I try to replace or repair at a shop. Not sure how I would clamp without specialty tools as it is a small recessed area. Nothing I have would fit and still clamp. Definately out of my area of expertise. Thanks for the info DavidAnalog!
Maybe small magnetic strips.
Old     (kcxstar1)      Join Date: Mar 2010       07-21-2014, 10:26 AM Reply   
Ok, so here is an update on the whiskey tango fix for the sub. I ended up using E6000 as the glue. The wife has used it in hobby applications and it sticks well to most anything. More importantly for me it is very thick and holds up well to vibrations. I used a paint brush to apply it where I needed it and since this wasn't brain surgery i figured more was better than less. I squeezed it together and since the parts touched anyway the thick glue did the rest. I put a second application on both edges, inside and out the next day.

It aint pretty but the sub worked and sounded great all weekend. I don't know how long it will last but honestly it has lasted longer than I thought it would already. We cranked it up just to see if it would hold. My system isnt a high powered system but I would say it falls in the mid range catagory of sound systems on this forum.

As always, thanks for the suggestions.
Old     (DavidAnalog)      Join Date: Sep 2013       07-21-2014, 10:51 AM Reply   
The less you talk about it the better chance you won't jinx the fix.