Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through July 28, 2004

Old     (cas)      Join Date: Jul 2003       07-26-2004, 2:45 PM Reply   
Can anyone give me a clue why i'm getting pulled forward on my heel side jumps. I land with my arm/arms stretch out on my toe side edge. What am I doing wrong. I know it can be hard to comment on without a picture. Sorry. Any help will be very appreciated.
Old     (wakestar8878)      Join Date: Oct 2003       07-26-2004, 2:54 PM Reply   
What kind of rope are you using?
Old     (cas)      Join Date: Jul 2003       07-26-2004, 2:56 PM Reply   
Spectra - Yellow jacket
Old     (puckinshat)      Join Date: Sep 2003       07-26-2004, 2:59 PM Reply   
You're not cutting through the wake, when you get to the trough I bet you are going flat creating you to become off balance. Try taking short cuts, like ten feet out and practice from there.
Old     (greenpinky)      Join Date: Apr 2004       07-26-2004, 2:59 PM Reply   
Casper, you are probably suffering from poor handle placement while in the air. Try and place the handle at your hip while you're getting air. It will definately help you from being pulled forward.
Old     (jman)      Join Date: Jul 2004       07-26-2004, 3:07 PM Reply   
Cut through the wake on edge, and keep the handle low to your lead hip
Old     (blake_hughes)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Weatherford, Texas       07-26-2004, 3:19 PM Reply   
That forward feeling is caused by letting off your edge. Mark and Mike gave good tips, maybe I can add a little to help you out.

Like Mark said, don't cut out so far. You only need about 10 ft. Once you're out, wait till the boat begins to pull you back toward the wake. Once it starts to pull, push your heelside edge down, and progressively build speed on the way to the wake. Don't let up. If you're scared you're going to get too much height, take an even shorter cut. It is SO important that you continually build speed, and not let up, or slow down at all.

Mike said to work on your handle placement, and you should, it too is pretty important. I try to hold the handle level with my belly button, with my arms extended out about half way. Hold that position all the way through the jump, from approach to landing. A good wake-to-wake jump shouldn't require you to let go of the handle, to balance yourself, at all.

Take those two little bits of advice, put them to work, and your problem should be solved.

Here's a little quote from an instruction off another website... It paints a very clear picture. "Think of how a pendulum swings. As it goes out to it's highest point, the ball on the pendulum is moving at it's slowest. When it swings back towards the bottom, it starts slowly, and builds up speed "progressively" until it's at it's fastest point at the bottom. In wakeboarding terms, the wakeboarder is the ball cutting out wide, and you want to wait for the boat to begin pulling you back towards the wake, as it starts to pull you, you begin edging in with the proper body position, and build your edge so it's at it's hardest as you reach the wake, which is the bottom in our pendulum example."

I know that's a lot of stuff to read, but I thought it might help.

-Blake
Old    jude_mural            07-26-2004, 3:23 PM Reply   
CASPER WITHOUT SEEING YOUR APPROACH i WOULD GUESS THAT YOUR BACK IS PROBABLY NOT STRAIGHT AS YOU ARE EDGING IN AND YOU ARE ALLOWING THE BOAT TO PULL YOUR ARMS STRAIGHT AS YOU COME OFF THE WAKE THIS IS MOST COMMON. EASIEST CORRECTION IS TO USE A SEATED POSITION(BACK STRAIGHT) FOR EDGING AND KEEPING YOUR ELBOWS IN TIGHT TO YOUR HIPS ON YOUR APPROACH. MAKE SURE THAT YOU ARE USING THE LOWER HALF OF YOUR BODY TO CREATE LOAD AS APOSSED TO LEANING AWAY FOR YOUR EDGE WHICH ONLY CREATES SPEED.
Old     (wakestar8878)      Join Date: Oct 2003       07-26-2004, 3:31 PM Reply   
Who turned the volume up? Its getting a little loud in here.
Old     (malibuboarder75)      Join Date: Jan 2004       07-26-2004, 5:21 PM Reply   
You might be pulling the handle in which is a big mistake. Make sure you push the handle down towards the board without bending your elbows. Watch the how to on wake jumping in the intructional section. It shows you how to do this. You dont want to pull the handle in, but instead push it down to your hips.
Old     (pittsy)      Join Date: Apr 2004       07-26-2004, 6:09 PM Reply   
make sure you are cutting at a 45 degree angle and push the handle down to your hip when you hit the wake, you may be cutting to hard into the wake which is pulling you wieght forward....
Old    r_dub            07-27-2004, 5:27 AM Reply   
I totally aggree with all the tips that were said here, and they most likely are right. But if you are reading this, thinking Im doing all that and it still happens, it could be were the rope connects to the boat. For years, I was ridding behind a boat without any type of pylon. And dont get me wrong, you can still jump just fine behind that setup. But once I REALLY started charging the wake and landing way out into the flat's, the same thing started happening to me. It was like I would reach a certain point, where my board and my body wanted to keep going, but the boat was just pulling me straight down. One thing we did that helped was, slow the boat down. You will have to edge much harder, but that is what I did and it helped me. Eventually we got a pylon and the problem was solved. But please dont read this and think this HAS to be your problem, and you must go out and get a pylon right away. Be true to yourself. If you are having this problem and you are just barely clearing the wake, then listen to the advice given by everyone else here.