Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (Matt)      Join Date: Mar 2010       03-24-2010, 3:15 PM Reply   
I have just moved to western Oklahoma, I'm curious if anyone rides around here. Also if anyone knows the Oklahoma Laws let me know.. Mirrors, flag, spotter can you boat at night exc...
Thanks Guys
Old     (bmcgee)      Join Date: Nov 2007       03-24-2010, 3:43 PM Reply   
Welcome to Oklahoma! I'm not too familiar with the lakes on that side of the state. What town are you in? I'm in Stillwater, but ride at Tenkiller which is pretty much straight east of OKC. As far as laws go, there isnt much to it. No need for a flag/spotter/mirror as far as i know, we've never had any problems and have gotten stopped a time or two. The only thing is i'm pretty sure its illegal to ride at night, at the very least 30 minutes after the sun goes down.
Old     (Matt)      Join Date: Mar 2010       03-24-2010, 3:57 PM Reply   
Cool man, Thats what i had been told the laws are pretty relaxed... I'm in Elk City, Ill have the Supra on Tenkiller a few weekends I heard its sweet, The soon to be inlaws have a lake house there...
Old     (bmcgee)      Join Date: Nov 2007       03-24-2010, 4:08 PM Reply   
Yeah, in my opinion Tenkiller is the best lake in the state (i am a little biased) with really clear water and the corp of engineers has pretty strict guidelines for building around the lake so its not way overdeveloped/crowded. We stay at my grandparents place in Chicken Creek which is right up the road from there dock. I'll be headed down there this weekend to grab the supra so we can hit the lakes around Stillwater when were not in class.
Old     (sodaksooner)      Join Date: Nov 2009       03-25-2010, 5:37 AM Reply   
Yep, no riding after dark on public lakes. No flagging required. Pretty sure you have to have a mirror if you don't have a spotter, and the typical life vest, horn, spark arrestor type rules. Kids 12and under(Maybe 14) have to have a vest on. I also believe you have to have a CG approved vest on public lakes, but not completely sure on that. I have freinds that use comp vests and we have never had an issue. Just make sure you have enough CG vests in the boat. We got stopped last year(actually a good thing when you see some of the boats out there) and once they inspect you, you get a safety inspection sticker and they won't get you again. Put it right next to your registration numbers. Hopefully they stop you at the ramp and not on the water, that was a PITA. We are in the tulsa area and hit up Keystone. Pretty scenery in spots, but the lake is not clean. It is close, only 15 minutes from leaving the driveway to boat in the water, but there are a ton of lakes in OK to board on, albeit mostly from i35 east. PM me if you ever want to get up this way and we can set something up.

I am not all that familiar with other lakes because Keystone is so convenient for us, but hopefully this summer will involve some mini road trips. Grand lake is fun, but not on weekends, well the party coves are...

Man Elk City is way out there.... Oh, and the boating regs are online. I have the brochure downloaded somewhere, but don't have the link. Easy enough to find.
Old     (stang_killa_ss)      Join Date: Jan 2010       03-25-2010, 7:54 AM Reply   
hit up okieboarder on wakeboarder.com
hes in the middle of rebuilding his supra right now.
Old     (sodaksooner)      Join Date: Nov 2009       03-25-2010, 9:31 AM Reply   
So are you guys suggesting we make a trip to Tenkiller this summer?? Do any of you hit up the big thing at Eufala in August? I have to admit until late last summer we had been kind of out of it for the last 5 or 6 years. My youngest is old enough now to start and my 16 year old(yeah I am an old fart...if you consider 42 old) so we bought the wakesetter last fall and I am dying to get out... damn cold winter. Figures.
Old     (sodaksooner)      Join Date: Nov 2009       03-29-2010, 10:18 AM Reply   
Supposed to be in the 80's much of the week this week. thinking about hitting it Friday afternoon as I have the day off....Hopefully 1st set of the year on the new board and boat.
Old     (blaine4oh5)      Join Date: Mar 2010       03-29-2010, 10:42 AM Reply   
i saw on the news that its supposed to rain on friday.
Old     (Matt)      Join Date: Mar 2010       03-29-2010, 10:47 AM Reply   
There is a big group of guys(and wives) headed to Texoma for memorial day weekend...
Old     (okcwakebrdr)      Join Date: Dec 2004       03-29-2010, 11:37 AM Reply   
My freind danny took his first set of the year last week a Thunderbird. Water was 50 deg. BRRrrrrrrrrrr..... Well it was a quick set ...a very quick set. Dock start....2 wake jumps, Tantrum, fall on heel 540. In the boat and done!! He said it was coooolllllddddd!! He did have a heater top on tho! LOL
Old     (sodaksooner)      Join Date: Nov 2009       03-30-2010, 5:29 AM Reply   
Sweet...

We took the boat out on a shakedown cruise on keystone two weekends ago. Main lake was 47but the cove we board in was as high as 52 in spots. I have been in in 46 degree water(in a shorty no less) and it was brutal. Thank God for the shower. WIth the higher temps and wind going on, hopefully it can get in the mid to upper 50's this week.

Rain/storms supposed to hit late in the afternoon friday, so hopefully can get a quick set in right after lunch. Nothing crazy, New board/bindings/rope/handle i want to baptize. Coming from an old hyperlite vero circa 2000 to a 2009 b-side, there won't be anything crazy going on (not that there ever is with me). I'll be happy to go w2w and not crash. Just want to get a feel for the new board. The boat also only has a couple of sets under it since we bought it so really still working on the wake too.
Old     (blaine4oh5)      Join Date: Mar 2010       04-07-2010, 8:42 AM Reply   
is keystone a nice lake? Im going on a family trip there this summer and dont really know that much about the lake.
Old     (sodaksooner)      Join Date: Nov 2009       04-07-2010, 11:44 AM Reply   
It has it's positives and negatives. Nice scenery, not a lot of development. It tends to get a bit silty being on the Arkansas. It is a flood control lake so the water level varies a lot. The country around it is pretty hilly, so there are a lot of places to get out of the wind. Lots of exposed rocks on the shoreline in places and the advantage of being sandy is that there are some decent beaches.

Give me a yell when your trip gets closer I'll give you current details.

The main advantage for me is that it is close. 8 miles to the ramp. Gets quite a bit of traffic in the summer, but generally in the am you have it mostly to yourself until late morning.
Old     (boardOK)      Join Date: Apr 2010       04-08-2010, 6:43 PM Reply   
If you are in Elk City the cloeset big lake is Foss, I have never been there. A guy I know named kyle used to ride there but I believed he moved away for this summer, which sucks b/c I think he would give you a pull and he used to give a few lessons. My crew and I ride in the OKC area. Lake Draper is closed for the next 2 years which sucks, so Arcadia/ T-bird will be packed. The best lake in Oklahoma is actually Broken Bow, lots of hills, coves, clean water and not very packed. But its a drive. Looks like I'll be doing alot of driving this year anyways.

Last edited by boardOK; 04-08-2010 at 6:44 PM. Reason: spelling
Old     (MasonH)      Join Date: Apr 2010       04-08-2010, 6:47 PM Reply   
Eufaula represent!
Old     (sodaksooner)      Join Date: Nov 2009       04-09-2010, 5:08 AM Reply   
Joey, why is draper closed? Not that I go there, just curious. Actually there are some good mountain bike trails there that I hit every time i am in the city.

Mason, would like to hit Eufaula this summer too. Not too far from Tulsa, and I work in Okmulgee, so pretty close.
Old     (MasonH)      Join Date: Apr 2010       04-09-2010, 9:45 AM Reply   
Come on down man! I love it!
Old     (blaine4oh5)      Join Date: Mar 2010       04-09-2010, 1:12 PM Reply   
i noticed they had the ramp blocked at draper yesterday when i just drove by to see how it looked, but i thought maybe just cause the waters down. Thats crazy that there going to have it closed for the next two years.
Old     (13carter)      Join Date: Apr 2010       04-09-2010, 4:03 PM Reply   
There are a few of us riding this weekend on Grand Lake. Anyone is welcome to ride with us, just hit me up if you want to ride.
Old     (boardOK)      Join Date: Apr 2010       04-09-2010, 7:14 PM Reply   
Draper is closed b/c they are fixing 5 or 6 pumps from the Lake Atoka water feed. They project to be done in 2 yrs. kind of a long project which will hurt boating in the metro. They have to keep the water down to fix the pumps.

I go to Eufaula for a lot of the summer. Helped out with a wakeboard camp 2 summers ago. Loved it.

I just ready to ride.
Old     (sodaksooner)      Join Date: Nov 2009       04-12-2010, 5:38 AM Reply   
We got out yesterday. Water was 64. My shorty held up just fine. Got a couple of quick sets in. I can tell it has been a long winter. Funny enough, my buddy was hitting 3's, toeside 3's and switch 3's as well, which is about as far as he has progressed, like he never took a break. My wife got a new wetsuit for xmas and she even got in, as well as my daughter. Both brand new to it and did just fine. We just ran stock ballast yesterday (all I needed for sure) but with the vlx, wake was already a bit bigger than the response loaded down.

Since i have been out of it for so long, and riding a new setup, I was a bit intimidated. New setup is a 2009 136 bside and audio bindings.

Couple of observations. Love the fully enclosed bindings. Really easy to get in and out of, and warm in the cooler water. I am having a hard time dealing with not coming out when I crash though (specifically why i bought a new knee brace too). Compared to my old board this one is much faster and cuts much deeper. It bailed me out on several landings that my old board would have just skidded out on. I also wasn't ready for it and it nearly pulled the handle out of my hands. I have dropped a bunch of weight since I bought the first board (a 143 circa 1999 vero....really was time for a new board) so went with the 136. Definitely going to be cool once I get used to it. I did notice that it was suprisingly stable. I don't like a loose board, and it wasn't but I still have the center fin in. It will not be hard to get a really good edge and great speed going into the wake with a short cut. I was almost clearing the wake just playing getting used to it without even cutting hard. I did notice the landing is much more harsh, better not land short much.

Going to be a fun year guys. Time to get out and hit it.

Last edited by sodaksooner; 04-12-2010 at 5:41 AM. Reason: typos
Old     (bmcgee)      Join Date: Nov 2007       04-12-2010, 9:34 AM Reply   
Made a quick trip to Tenkiller to open up the cabin and check on the dock. Didn't have time to put the boat in, but hopefully we can get out there next weekend. I'm not sure what the water temp was, but it really didn't feel too bad.
Attached Images

Old     (NuBu)      Join Date: Apr 2010       04-12-2010, 10:55 AM Reply   
We go to Arbuckle lake a lot. Have some great friends who board down there and I would highly recommend it. It can get crowded on the weekends but the water is clean and there are lots of places to get out of the wind.

I was out with Danny when he boarded a couple of weeks ago. It was seriously cold, in fact we tried to talk him out of it but he said that his buddies would give him too much @#$& if he went out on the lake and didn't take a pass!
Old     (blaine4oh5)      Join Date: Mar 2010       05-11-2010, 10:45 AM Reply   
I hope thunderbird is going to be open soon. Im sure its closed today since the marina is in the middle of the lake and all those boats are sinking after last night. Mother Nature is really harshin my mellow.
Old     (NuBu)      Join Date: Apr 2010       05-11-2010, 2:49 PM Reply   
We have been very frustrated with the Oklahoma weather so far. Cold and rainy on the weekends and now it looks like the only ramp we really like at T-Bird just got blown away by a tornado. I am going to drive out there tonight and look at it if I can even get close.
Old     (mcfly)      Join Date: Jan 2002       05-11-2010, 7:46 PM Reply   
Let us know what you find out, Steve!

McFly
Old     (sodaksooner)      Join Date: Nov 2009       05-12-2010, 5:08 AM Reply   
Hope all is ok down there. It missed us in Tulsa thankfully. Ready for round 2 tonight. We have had decent weekends the last two other than the wind. Doesn't look like that for this weekend though. Rainy for sure.
Old     (NuBu)      Join Date: Apr 2010       05-12-2010, 2:50 PM Reply   
The state park at T-Bird is closed the next 2 days for sure and possibly more. The issue is cleaning up the fuel, oil etc that spilled into the lake from the overturned and destroyed boats. I spoke with the people at the Conservancy District today and they are still without power which means the water pumps don't work (which is where Norman gets the majority of their water supply). They should have generators for some of their pumps by tomorrow but the cleanup for the lake may take a while. Now we have no Draper and no Thunderbird for boaters.
Old     (blaine4oh5)      Join Date: Mar 2010       05-13-2010, 12:40 PM Reply   
Nnnnnooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!
Old     (MasonH)      Join Date: Apr 2010       05-13-2010, 2:06 PM Reply   
Blaine where are you from? I noticed your are code is 405 and I'm from Purcell so I figured you'd be around the area.
Old     (supradoug)      Join Date: Dec 2001       05-13-2010, 3:38 PM Reply   
yea that sucks. I took the boat to T-bird yesterday for a shakedown and was told it was closed til furthur notice...I hate to try Overholser because its pretty shallow.
Old     (Matt)      Join Date: Mar 2010       05-13-2010, 4:28 PM Reply   
Wow guys that's nutz sorry bout the bad luck,... I've been watching the cleanup. We were ducking those storms
Old     (blaine4oh5)      Join Date: Mar 2010       05-13-2010, 4:54 PM Reply   
mason i live in norman.

i live on alameda so im like 10 minutes away from the lake. So thunderbird is the only lake we usually go to so this sucks big time.
Old     (dhands88)      Join Date: Jul 2006       05-13-2010, 5:14 PM Reply   
Hey Steve e

well the boat sale went south in a hurry. my wife bugged me so much that we went and got another boat same one i sold you. Needless to say i bought it with 40 hours for 53,000 and now its at the jackie cooper getting exact same stereo u have all wetsounds with a price tag of 7,300 hundred dollars. So im pretty upset first off cause i already had a perfect boat, and now im 60,000 deep in another. But on a good note im blessed to have a boat for summer. but i am planning on coming with you guys a couple of weekends and ride. my buddies sent me a pic on day of you at thunderbird asking why the hell i sold my boat. lol i love that thing.
Old     (sodaksooner)      Join Date: Nov 2009       05-13-2010, 7:10 PM Reply   
come up to tulsa guys....Well it'll be raining all weekend but you know what I mean.
Old     (NuBu)      Join Date: Apr 2010       05-14-2010, 8:44 AM Reply   
Danny, lol i didn't fugure you would go without one for very long. Can't wait to see pictures of it. We went to Arbuckle last weekend and the boat was awesome. Chandler took a couple of passes behind it and I rode the new Lyman (it is totally awesome). Then we surfed some. You still have to come out with us. It has been complete torture though to have this awesome new boat and the crappy weather we've had on the weekend has really limited us from using it.
Old     (blaine4oh5)      Join Date: Mar 2010       05-19-2010, 4:24 AM Reply   

This was thunderibrd saturday. It sucks that its still closed down, cause this is nice.
Old     (blaine4oh5)      Join Date: Mar 2010       05-20-2010, 7:44 AM Reply   
damn thundebird is closed till memorial weekend. Its crazy that it caused 13 million dollars in damage.
Old     (blaine4oh5)      Join Date: Mar 2010       05-24-2010, 9:41 PM Reply   
hey i dont know if any of you guys have heard but thunderbird is open now. I rode for the first time this season today and it was nice to be back on the water.
Old     (MasonH)      Join Date: Apr 2010       05-25-2010, 4:36 PM Reply   
Hey guys looking for some pulls this summer at Lake Eufaula. If you are heading there any time this summer and want an extra just send me a PM and I can also help with some gas. Just a depsperate 16 year old looking for any pull haha.
Old     (brett_roberts)      Join Date: May 2010       05-29-2010, 12:29 PM Reply   
Hey I'm looking for some pulls around Tenkiller this summer. If you ever need a third and are going to be out around there PM me. I'm down to help with gas, clean up, whatever.
Old     (jmuck)      Join Date: Jan 2010       05-31-2010, 8:36 PM Reply   
Yea Oklahoma hasn't had it easy at all this year.

Was at T-bird last sunday, and not much debri at all. Our favorite ramp off 108th and alameda was still closed though.
Old     (blaine4oh5)      Join Date: Mar 2010       05-31-2010, 8:45 PM Reply   
was thunderbird packed with jackasses all weekend?
Old     (sodaksooner)      Join Date: Nov 2009       05-31-2010, 9:46 PM Reply   
all the lakes were....just like any holiday weekend..
Old     (NuBu)      Join Date: Apr 2010       06-01-2010, 7:05 AM Reply   
They just seem to come out on the holidays! Arbuckle was crazy but we did manage to get in some good passes in the am. Water temp was 80, not really any wind to speak of and no boats out until about 10:30. We got a hard rain Sunday night/Monday morning which chased a lot of the "weekenders" off. Water was great that morning!
Old     (wakeboardingzach)      Join Date: Jun 2008       06-01-2010, 10:49 AM Reply   
Oklahoma riders hit up the cable park.

www.mawiwake.com
Old     (Matt)      Join Date: Mar 2010       06-01-2010, 10:56 AM Reply   
We hit Texoma for Memorial day, The water was glass til noon every day... Great riding & the laws left us alone surfing @ night... 78+/- water temp & 90+ air temp.... Great weekend
Old     (NuBu)      Join Date: Apr 2010       06-01-2010, 11:21 AM Reply   
I think we will be at Texoma this weekend. Wanted to wait until after the holiday to give it a try. Looks like it will be hot!
Old     (jmuck)      Join Date: Jan 2010       06-01-2010, 8:21 PM Reply   
Don't know what T bird was like this past weekend, we were on Tenkiller. But I"m sure there where plenty of crazy folks around there.
Old     (blaine4oh5)      Join Date: Mar 2010       07-12-2010, 6:42 AM Reply   
all this rain this last week has been kiling me. I got out saturday night and got some pretty smooth water so im held over for a couple more days. But i'll be pumped when it quit's raining
Old     (dmac)      Join Date: Jul 2003       07-18-2010, 6:38 PM Reply   
D Laird,

I lost your digits and did some Oklahoma searches on here to see what's good. I live up north now, but make it back to OKC on occasion. Let's get together again soon, it's been a long while. Hope all is well and the knee is back in shape. Drop me an email and we can exchange numbers again.
Old     (blaine4oh5)      Join Date: Mar 2010       07-27-2010, 6:13 AM Reply   
hey does anyone know what weekend spf is?