Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Non-Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (wake77)      Join Date: Jan 2009       08-20-2011, 8:54 AM Reply   
Trace, what if I walked up in kicked you in the head? Are you just going to lie there and take it?
Old     (trace)      Join Date: Feb 2002       08-20-2011, 9:35 AM Reply   
If I killed you for it, would your family think I was justified in doing so?
Old     (wake77)      Join Date: Jan 2009       08-20-2011, 10:01 AM Reply   
If you had the mental capacity of a dog, you wouldn't legally be able to stand trial.
Old    deltahoosier            08-20-2011, 11:24 AM Reply   
That's right, they would just take you out and shoot you or give you the needle.
Old     (olmoomba)      Join Date: Apr 2010       08-22-2011, 10:43 AM Reply   
Just because its on the news doesn't make it 100% accurate, it does make for good ratings, however.

http://www.examiner.com/american-pit...lly-happened-1

Last edited by olmoomba; 08-22-2011 at 10:44 AM. Reason: add
Old     (bftskir)      Join Date: Jan 2004       08-22-2011, 2:04 PM Reply   
it was the dog

http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/...77F02820110816
Old     (olmoomba)      Join Date: Apr 2010       08-22-2011, 2:41 PM Reply   
autopsy proves it....NVM then. I didn't know that all the FACTS were in yet.
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       08-22-2011, 9:08 PM Reply   
I hope they can decide to keep the female pit or someone caring was able to adopt her
Old     (brettw)      Join Date: Jul 2007       10-02-2011, 2:57 PM Reply   
Here we go again:

http://news.yahoo.com/connecticut-to...214437586.html

I'm sure they were sweet dogs right up until the attack, though.
Old    SamIngram            10-03-2011, 12:57 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by wake77 View Post
^That's misinformation. Pit Bulls are not responsible for most of the dog attacks. Something I find interesting.

Dog bite statistics
An estimated 4.7 million dog bites occur in the U.S. each year
Nearly 800,000 dog bites require medical care
Approximately 92% of fatal dog attacks involved male dogs, 94% of which were not neutered
Approximately 25% of fatal dog attacks involved chained dogs
Approximately 71% of bites occur to the extremities (arms, legs, hands, feet)
Approximately two-thirds of bites occurred on or near the victim’s property, and most victims knew the dog
The insurance industry pays more than $1 billion in dog-bite claims each year
At least 25 different breeds of dogs have been involved in the 238 dog-bite-related fatalities in the U.S.
Approximately 24% of human deaths involved unrestrained dogs off of their owners’ property
Approximately 58% of human deaths involved unrestrained dogs on their owners’ property

So like Bob Barker says, get your dog spayed or neutered.
Really?
Attached Images

Old    SamIngram            10-03-2011, 12:57 PM Reply   
Then we have this study....
Old     (quik876)      Join Date: Mar 2010       10-03-2011, 6:25 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by brett33 View Post
If you have some pictures of something pertaining to you i'd like to see them.. otherwise you are just a spokesperson on a topic with no creditable backing.

We have posted pictures of OUR dogs. If this was your little girl, i could fully understand your rage on this topic, but seeing as you found a sad pic of some girl that her injuries could have been caused by something totally different... i award you zero props.
I agree there man, while the injuries do seem somewhat consistant, still that proves nothing that the little girl was attacked by a dog, least wise a Pitbull. Yes Pit's are more danderous dur to the breed's ability lock down it's jaws with a crushing force, and the tenacity of the breed is well known.
Old     (steezyshots)      Join Date: Feb 2008       10-04-2011, 10:33 AM Reply   
I haven't read all the posts but here is my .02. I rescue Pit's and do as much charitable work as I can for the breed because I believe 100% of the time when a pit attacks there is always more to the story.

The dog is rarely the problem. Humans generally are to blame when your household pet attacks.

Was this a rescue dog? Did they know the dog's upbringing? Was he/she a trained fighter that they were trying to give a new life to? These are all questions that should be asked before bringing a pit into your home. 99% of the people that care for pits shouldn't have a pit. They used to be nanny dogs but the sad truth is they have been bread to fight and only responsible owners should deal with the bread. It makes me sick that people bread these dogs when there are millions put to death every year!

I don't really have much to say other than that being a responsible dog owner is really the only way to guarantee safety. IF my wife and I ever have kids will I let our 2 pits mingle with the young kids? Absolutely not, We have rescued both of our dogs and I know that both of them had a pretty dicey past. But we are knowledgable with the breed and take precautions to protect ourselves,we also discipline by positve reinforcment and that alone can change a mean dog to a loving dog. An overwhelming percentage of people do not spend enough time training their dogs.

My question is would this be as big a story if it were a german sheppard? The media likes to make pit bulls seem meaner than they are.

There are good stories about pits, you just hear the negative meadia push these out as much because it isn't doom and gloom

http://www.wtae.com/r/29297655/detail.html
Old     (steezyshots)      Join Date: Feb 2008       10-04-2011, 3:10 PM Reply   
My two rescues protecting their throne
Attached Images

Old     (jason_ssr)      Join Date: Apr 2001       10-05-2011, 9:31 AM Reply   
I think you hit the nail on the head. The question is how do citizens regulate this? How do we make allowances for people who do the good work you do to proceed, while eliminating the risk that other 99% pose?

I think there should be allowances for rescue, care, and ownership of any and all natures killers, but it has to be limited to those who have the means and ability to handle it with the understanding and respect required.

The problem with pits is that they are "dogs" which deminishes the feeling of danger for most. They mistake good behavior as a foundation for trust. The minute you bring trust into it, you open the door for tragedy.

To those of us indifferent to dogs in general it is particularly concerning to hear the pit fanbois say that their danger can be mitigated with good ownership. Yes, I understand that an owner can encourage good behavior (or bad), but that does not deminish the animals capability. IMO, you always have to treat an animal based on its capability, not its current mood.