Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through July 21, 2006

Old     (jixxxer)      Join Date: Apr 2006       06-30-2006, 1:11 PM Reply   
OK, im new to the audio world but ive got the bug. Right now what i have are (4)-5-1/4" polks in the boat, two polk tower speakers and I need an amp to push those six speakers.
I have a 12" sub and amp to go with that. Im just not sure what kind, type of amp for mids.
Old    stevie211            06-30-2006, 3:53 PM Reply   
you need a four channel amp. connect the interior speakers to the front left and right channels. It is okay to run 2 speakers off each channel as long as your amp can run at 2 ohms. Then connect your tower speakers to the rear left and right channel. this way you can use your fader to turn your tower speakers on and off. My boat has all zapco amps. They are the best I've used for the money the i-450 should be perfect for what you're trying to do.
Old     (jixxxer)      Join Date: Apr 2006       06-30-2006, 7:29 PM Reply   
So wattage wise i need like a 400watt amp?
Old     (usarmyttt)      Join Date: Apr 2006       07-01-2006, 3:10 AM Reply   
The first thing you need to do is find out what the MAX RMS wattage your speakers can handle. Then look for an amp that is right there at that wattage(make sure you are looking at "RMS"ratings) it is even ok to go over the max of the speakers a little!! Now, in the post above Steve talks about running two speakers off each channel(that is ok) just know that will be running them at 2 ohms(make sure you look at the specs of the amp and see what the power rating is at 2 ohms, it will usually be doubled).
Post the specs of ALL your speakers and we might be able to show you which amp would help the best. This place has some good deals on amps. I have used them many times and NEER had a single issue. http://www.sonicelectronix.com/cat_25.html I kinda like the Hifonics amps for a boat.
Good luck!
Old     (jixxxer)      Join Date: Apr 2006       07-01-2006, 7:22 AM Reply   
Ok, thanks for the help, here is some info.
4 of the polks db 525
Driver Complement
Mid/Woofer 1 - 5-1/4" Diameter (13.34cm)
Tweeter 1 - 3/4" Diameter (1.91cm)
Overall Frequency Response 60Hz-22Khz
Nominal Impedance 4 ohms
Power Handling (continuous) 45 w
Power Handling (peak) 135 w
Efficiency 93 dB
and
2 tower speakers are polk db 650
Driver Complement
Mid/Woofer 1 - 6-1/2" Diameter (16.51cm)
Polymer/Mica Composite cone with rubber surround
Tweeter 1 - 3/4" Diameter (1.91cm)
Silk/Polymer composite dome
Overall Frequency Response 40Hz-22KHz
Nominal Impedance 4 ohms
Power Handling (continuous) 60 w
Power Handling (peak) 180 w
Efficiency 92 dB
Old     (usarmyttt)      Join Date: Apr 2006       07-01-2006, 7:49 AM Reply   
Shannon, I hope this helps but I see a slight problem here. You have two sets of speakers with different handling power. THe speakers in the boat only hold 45 watts, not many amps when wired for two ohms will only put out 45ish watts. If I were you in the set up you have, I would run the boat speakers of the deck and amp the tower speaker with a two channel amp that puts out around the 65 watts you need up there. Now having said that JL audio makes a 6 channel amp that puts out 45 watts per channel and you could amp all the speakers with 45 watts BUT my guess is you would not be able to hear the tower speaker while boarding. It is just not enough power. Remember when amping speakers you need to try and be right at the RMS numbers or slightly over. Over powering with good clean amp power is actually better than under powering them.
Good luck! Heading to the lake!
Todd
Old     (jixxxer)      Join Date: Apr 2006       07-01-2006, 10:15 AM Reply   
Thanks todd! Any other solutions, and or what brands?

(Message edited by jixxxer on July 01, 2006)
Old     (tparider)      Join Date: Aug 2003       07-01-2006, 5:13 PM Reply   
Memphis audio makes a 55x4 amp that would push the db525 and should be fine if it's turned down. They also make a 75x4 that would push the db650 speakers nicely. Typcially though, you should run an amp that pushes at or near your speakers' RMS rating.