Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through April 21, 2006

Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       03-22-2006, 7:00 AM Reply   
Vamp Spin speakers

http://www.roswellwakeair.com/content/view/19/67/

Upload

I guess the LEDs caught my eye, I feel like a moth to a light LOL. At closer inspection of the website is see the can's are split in the middle and one of the cans can be rotated to point down into the boat or completly rotataed to point forward. Check out the website. I know Im a geek but I think thats cool.
I wonder if the location of the LED puck gets in the way of the sound of the tweeter its covering???
Old     (roswell_wakeair)      Join Date: Aug 2005       03-22-2006, 7:30 AM Reply   
Grant,

Stoked you like the new line up. I know we're all really happy here and excited to see these bad boys out on the lakes.
As for your tweeter concern we have tested the speakers and The Vamp Spin (pictured in your post) sounds incredible- Any blockage by the LED housing is fairly negligable. For anyone seriously concerned with the sound quality they would be better off with the Vamp Spin Pro which includes an external tweeter housing and component Phoenix Gold Octane speaker in both the 6.5" and 5.25" cans. Here's a picture to of the Vamp Spin Pro- I hope to be able to post a animated GIF later today showcasing the rotation of the smaller can.

Thanks for having a look
Upload
Old     (noti_dad)      Join Date: Jul 2003       03-22-2006, 7:32 AM Reply   
Thanks for being a stereo geek. Just what I was looking to put on the new rig. Ice blue LEDS will match what is planned also. What is your opinion of the speakers?
Old     (attila916)      Join Date: Oct 2005       03-22-2006, 7:32 AM Reply   
Sweet, how do they compare sound/price wise versus the Fusion T series?
Old     (muffintop)      Join Date: Dec 2005       03-22-2006, 7:34 AM Reply   
These work on an Illusion tower?
Old     (noti_dad)      Join Date: Jul 2003       03-22-2006, 7:36 AM Reply   
Marc
1. Didn't see a price on the site. How much?
2. Is the mount to the tower a quick disconnect?
3. Will it fit an 06 211 FCT?

Look great. Just gotta talk the wife into spending some cash. LOL!
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       03-22-2006, 7:54 AM Reply   
I like the idea that you can fire down into the boat. I have 4 6X9's that fire down and into the boat on my tower box and know how much sound you can fill the interior of the boat with out blasting the the whole lake out. LOL I didnt see the out-board tweeter speakers thoes look sweet.

How does the Swivle speaker move and lock into place. Does it have some sort of spring tention and ball bearing de-tent that holds the speaker into designated stop point's. And can you or have you driven the boat with the speakers in the rotated position's.
Old     (roswell_wakeair)      Join Date: Aug 2005       03-22-2006, 8:54 AM Reply   
Attila- I haven't personally heard the Fusion T Series myself so it wouldn't be fair to try and give you a comparison. I can say for the price you are getting an unreal set of speakers when you add up all the features. They are incredibly clear sounding and project very well. Unfortunatly I can't release pricing but if you e-mail myself (marc@roswellwakeair.com) or our sales department (kris@roswellwakeair.com) either one of us can put you in touch with an authorized dealer who can release the price for you.

B.S.- Currently we are only offering them with 1.6", 1.9" and 2 3/8" clamps. We may have the design department push through an attachment system to work with the Illusion tower but wanted to get them to market for this summer.

Notidad- As I told Attila I can't release pricing but feel free to get in touch with us and we can get you through to a dealer. The clamp is not Quick Disconnect at this time- It requires 4 socket head cap screws be removed. I beleive the new FCT tower is a 1.9" OD so there shouldn't be any problem putting them on your 211.

Grant- I can't give you all our secrets! LOL... We've been developing this concept for well over a year and a half and our design department was relentless in seeing this concept through- It was their pet project. You are fairly close with your assumptions on how the system works. It's a tension based system with 11 pre-set positions through the full 180 degrees. Each position has a firm locking point and the boat can be driven in any position although we don't recomend the full 180 degree rotation and advise that when trailering to only have them facing straight back.
Old     (iagainsti)      Join Date: Apr 2004       03-22-2006, 9:03 AM Reply   
Very clean design, these are probably the nicest looking tower setups I've seen to date. Marc you need to get to it with the Illusion mount !
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       03-22-2006, 9:12 AM Reply   
The swivel system sounds good, cool Idea.
As far as the How do they sound question's. If you want my 2c. IMO If you were to take a pair of any well built "Non HCLD" aluminum tower speakers, Boss, Fusion, lightning, Monster, Skylon ect you get the point and load them with the same drivers and amps/power Im bet most people or even measuering equipment could not tell them apart. IMO its more about how the speakers are powerd and tuned and what type of processor its going threw them that has a effect on how they sound.

Im not saying a cheep pair of speakers will sound as good as a expencieve pair or put out as much volume. I have found that most of the speakers that companys are offering with their cans example Polk, Diamond, MB, Alpine, ect angain you get the point are all good top quality speakers and will produce a very simiular sound. So if its up to me. I say let the design and construction of the speaker can and how it looks and feels to you decide weather you want them or not. Now if this was a home theater in a enclosed room with all the audio file amps wires and processors I would not have the same advice then IMO its very diffrent.
My 2c

(Message edited by grant_west on March 22, 2006)
Old     (roswell_wakeair)      Join Date: Aug 2005       03-22-2006, 10:23 AM Reply   
Her's an animated gif of the Vamp Spin Pro-

Upload
Old     (iagainsti)      Join Date: Apr 2004       03-22-2006, 10:27 AM Reply   
do they swivel on the clamp mount as well ?
Old     (roswell_wakeair)      Join Date: Aug 2005       03-22-2006, 10:29 AM Reply   
KG- Only the 5.25" swivels. The 6.5" speaker's default set up is facing rear like a regular can and does not rotate or spin.
Old     (zacharoo)      Join Date: Nov 2005       03-22-2006, 12:07 PM Reply   
Daddy likeee....You say the clamp size up to 2 3/8?? I hate to reveil the true depth of my ignorence but does the mean it will fit 2 1/4 od bars
Old     (roswell_wakeair)      Join Date: Aug 2005       03-22-2006, 12:16 PM Reply   
Aquaholic,

There is a lot of confusion about 2 1/4 and 2 3/8" pipe out there- Most companies are using 2 3/8" (Supra, MC, our new Area 52) but it often gets quoted as being 2 1/4". I believe that stainless OD is 2 1/4" and if thats the case our 2 3/8" can be fitted with a .0625" rubber ring we can provide.

Old     (zacharoo)      Join Date: Nov 2005       03-22-2006, 12:23 PM Reply   
Thanks for the info, I have a Moomba XLV. I want to compliment Roswell on the new products WOW..
Old     (roswell_wakeair)      Join Date: Aug 2005       03-22-2006, 12:33 PM Reply   
Aquaholic,

Our 2 3/8" clamp is the perfect fit for the Mobius- It's the same clamp we use for all OEM Mobius parts.

Thanks for the compliments. We've been struggling with keeping this under wraps until our website was ready...
Old     (zacharoo)      Join Date: Nov 2005       03-22-2006, 12:45 PM Reply   
Marc can one buy the swivel WB rack as an after market for the Mobius now or is what is shown on the web an upgrade for existing Supra swivels?? Sorry to change the subject.

Aquaholic
Old     (roswell_wakeair)      Join Date: Aug 2005       03-22-2006, 1:06 PM Reply   
Aqua,

The swivel shown on the site is compatible as an upgrade with our 2006 S.I. Team Rack and S.I. Caddy Rack as well as our racks from previous years.

It can be outfitted with clamps to fit your Mobius no problem.
Old     (lzyboy)      Join Date: Jun 2001       03-22-2006, 2:19 PM Reply   
Grant,

First off the speakers are dope!!!

Concern - are you aware that blue LED's / lights on a tower will get you pulled over? At the boat show we saw / talked to the Sherrifs who said that anyone with blue lights coming from the tower is asking for it - "lots of tickets this year" if I remeber it right.

At the same time LED's are usually used / viewable at night with not to many cops/coastgauards going around - just thought I'd throw out a heads up...

Lzy
Old     (roswell_wakeair)      Join Date: Aug 2005       03-22-2006, 2:47 PM Reply   
Aaron,

Do you or anyone else know what coast guard law that applies to? I am interested in finding out more on the subject.

I also agree that if it is a violation enforcement is an entirley different issue.

Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       03-22-2006, 3:07 PM Reply   
Marc, it may not be a coast guard regulation maybe just sherrif's and constable's. I know down here the coast guard is concerned more with our boats being registered, if your near the coastal waters. the sherrifs and local lake patrol are the ones who enforce most of the laws ( nosie violation, BWI, disorderly conduct, PI, ect) You could proabbly ask a local sherrif, I've found a majority of "land" laws are applicable on water. I got in some trouble back in high school speeding thru a neighborhood with a flashing light, I was scolded by the officer for the light not the speeding...I foget which color it was.
Old     (lzyboy)      Join Date: Jun 2001       03-22-2006, 3:08 PM Reply   
Afternoon Mark,

Here's an expert I found on the net:

Well, we’re now on the water, zipping along, jumping wakes or speeding in a 5mph zone and all of a sudden…. Guess what?! You hear a siren and see those familiar blue lights (blue is the only color that signifies an emergency vessel on the water). What do you do?

Well the officers, be they the local bay constable, marine patrol, state police or Coast Guard will ask you to heave to. This means: Stop your vessel! Ask them if they want you to cut your engine and drop an anchor.

Old    bocephus            03-22-2006, 3:15 PM Reply   
I think that the only lights that allowed are red and green. The highest point technically has to have a light on there, that is why we are starting to see more and more tower lights. The blue lights are not allowable navigation lights and will most likely get you a ticket in AZ. I once tied an amber light to my tower so my buddy could find me at night and I got a ticket for it. He also cited me for not having a light at the highest point on boat. Those are the only things he cited us for. In court I was able to get out of both though, but it was a pain in the butt!
Old     (roswell_wakeair)      Join Date: Aug 2005       03-22-2006, 3:30 PM Reply   
Aaron- I am currently looking into exact regulations and will let everyone know what I find out. I have contacted the coast guard as well as some of my OEM contacts for direction.

Bo- The lights do run off a seperate RCA than the speakers so you will have the option of installing them to any power source/switch you choose whether it be an empty ACC, nav lights, courtesy lights etc.

In the end it will be at your own discretion when and where to use the lights- That being said I'll be digging for an answer and post what I find out.

Old    bocephus            03-22-2006, 3:42 PM Reply   
http://www.navcen.uscg.gov/mwv/navrules/rotr_online.htm

Rules 20 - 31 refer to lights, nothing about blue lights though.
Old     (lzyboy)      Join Date: Jun 2001       03-22-2006, 4:43 PM Reply   
Marc-

Again, I luv what companies such as yours are doing... Roswell, Fusion, & others are doing great things for the market - Competition breeds innovation & we all luv checking out the latest gadgets/goods/etc... I think the new speakers look awesome... As far as the regulations - interpration or action can be vary from cop to waterway to time of day - we all have been there at one time or another....

keep up the good work!

Lzy
Old     (future)      Join Date: Sep 2005       03-22-2006, 5:37 PM Reply   
I think those things are sweet. One question though. Do they lock into position somehow? I know when I hit a wave to hard the whole boat feels it. Was wondering if the speaker would move?
Old     (lzyboy)      Join Date: Jun 2001       03-23-2006, 12:01 PM Reply   
Mark,

I contacted the Coast Guard directly and this was the response I got:

Aaron,
If those blue lights are visible anywhere outside the vessel, they would be illegal.
George R Bores, BC-VTR
National "V" Department Staff
U S Coast Guard Auxiliary

I have his contact information if you are intrested...

FYI - I'd ROCK em fo sho tho!

LZY
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       03-23-2006, 12:08 PM Reply   
Aaron, is blue the only illegal color? Did he mention any other colors? what about red/green on the tower or would it conflict with the port/starboard lights?
Old     (lzyboy)      Join Date: Jun 2001       03-23-2006, 12:16 PM Reply   
Adam,

I just shot him a return email asking for more specifics... i.e. colors / limitations / etc. I will let everyone know as soon as I get a response.

Again, I'd rock em, Fusion, Roswell, etc... You can't really see the lights to much unless it is night time anyway and usually by that time the patrols are off the water...

Lzy
Old     (lzyboy)      Join Date: Jun 2001       03-23-2006, 12:30 PM Reply   
Good News:

Aaron,
All kinds of lights are allowed on vessels. Have you seen any pictures of a cruise ship?

The Navigation Rules book states that any additional lights on a vessel may not interfere with the interpretation of the required navigation lights. This can be left up to the opinion of a Coast Guard Boarding Officer or any other Marine Law Enforcement Officer. It is better to go with a safe conservative position. I hope this helps.
George R Bores, BC-VTR
National "V" Department Staff
U S Coast Guard Auxiliary

GOT LIGHTS???
Upload
Old     (attila916)      Join Date: Oct 2005       03-23-2006, 7:17 PM Reply   
What, no LED's on the tweeters... I am disappointed!

Old     (tjdunn)      Join Date: Mar 2006       03-23-2006, 8:16 PM Reply   
Wow! Those are really trick speakers. Why is it you always see something like that right after you something different? Really nice.
Old     (attila916)      Join Date: Oct 2005       03-23-2006, 9:51 PM Reply   
Can I get them with red LED's... I will tell the Coast Guard they are brake lights!
Old     (roswell_wakeair)      Join Date: Aug 2005       03-24-2006, 7:27 AM Reply   
Dan W- We worked really hard on the Quick lock system and went through a number of prototypes until we were confident they would hold up to big, monster, man eater, triple ups... The other thing to keep in mind is all of the weight/mass of the 5.25" speaker is in the magnet (the cans themselves weigh maybe 1/2 pound). This magnet sits almost directly in line with the pivoting point of rotation which means there is suprisingly litte fulcrum or leverage. I'm confident they'll hold position no matter what you're throwing at them.
Old     (future)      Join Date: Sep 2005       03-24-2006, 11:34 AM Reply   
Cool, can you get the led's in different colors? I like the blue but I would probably prefer green to match my boat.
Old     (roswell_wakeair)      Join Date: Aug 2005       03-24-2006, 1:02 PM Reply   
Dan,

It is a thought we're currently tossing around the office. Right now as part of the assembly they will be blue and the first speakers we deliver will stick with the blue lens' but we are talking about an optional lens kit.

Thanks for your interest...
Old     (summerobsession)      Join Date: Jun 2005       03-30-2006, 10:31 AM Reply   
I would be in line for orange lens speakers!!!

Options are always good.