Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through April 21, 2006

Old     (alindquist)      Join Date: Mar 2004       03-20-2006, 7:04 AM Reply   
Ok, I bought this boat about 3 weeks ago and also purchased this tower along with it. I would like to get this thing put on but I'm little nervous and seeking advise. It's not the actual act of mounting the tower but making sure it is strong and not going to destroy my new toy... The biggest question I have is on backing plates for the mounting points. Obviously a 1/4" piece of rubber and a washer isn't going to do the trick. What did everyone else use for backing plates...? Will wood work? Should I use aluminum? Should I glass them into the boat or can I just slide them in and bolt it up. Also if anyone has any tricks of the trade to share that would be great... I'm well aware of the measure twice and drill once trick…(more like measure 5 times and drill once).
Again, drilling holes and putting the tower up doesn't bother me, I want this thing to be bullet proof and not have any problems down the road. Thanks in advance for the help. Here are some pictures...
Old     (alindquist)      Join Date: Mar 2004       03-20-2006, 7:06 AM Reply   
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Old     (alindquist)      Join Date: Mar 2004       03-20-2006, 7:08 AM Reply   
Oh yeah, that's the boat in the background. A black tower isn't going to fly. Any sugestions on a color would be cool too. I was thinking either silver or white with red board racks and a red tower box would look kind of cool. What do you think???
Old    bamer001            03-20-2006, 9:25 AM Reply   
I'm going through the same problem. I've been told that glass will be the strongest, but a aluminum backing plate will work. Does this sound right to everyone? What kind of tower is that and is it collaspable?? Looks pretty good.. I think red will go nice with the boat.
Old     (monstertower)      Join Date: Mar 2003       03-20-2006, 10:05 AM Reply   
Looks like a wake designs tower from the bases and racks. First I'm going to assume the tower was made to fit your boat since it does not look like it is adjustable.

A Cobalt is built like a tank so I dont see needing to reinforce. The rubber that would go on the back may not be enough. If it's going on a flat spot then adding a 1/4" thick plate of aluminum would be idea to distribute the load out to a larger area. That boat is likely 1/2" thick or more everywhere so your not going to have to do anything drastic.

Check out our tower installation manual at http://www.monstertower.com/support.html as well as other tower companies manuals. Great if on drilling and finishing the holes and lots of tips and tricks that will help.
Old     (alindquist)      Join Date: Mar 2004       03-20-2006, 11:01 AM Reply   
Thanks a lot guys... It is a Wake Design tower, I'm not sure on the year but I know it came off a brand new boat and the guy that bought it didn't want the tower so it was sitting at the dealer. I ended up picking it up for $800 with the racks so I think I got a pretty good deal. Yes it is collapsible...

Monster Tower - The tower wasn't designed specifically for that boat but we measured it up and it looks like it going to fit pretty well. I have to determine the exact location of the mounts to know if they are flat or not. I'm going to pick up some 4" x 8" x 1/4" aluminum plates and I'll figure out a way to make them work. I don't think that I want to install it without them.

Chris - I was thinking red at first however I think it's going to be a bitch to match the color; hence white or silver but who knows...

If anyone else has any advise lay it on me...