Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (stang_killa_ss)      Join Date: Jan 2010       06-14-2010, 3:34 PM Reply   
started working on tantrums.
carnage starts at about the 20 second mark.
besides letting go, what else to i need to change and improve to land it?

and why when i land is it so damn painful on my nuts? its like there being roasted by a torch while 1000 ants and bees bite them....

any tips and help would be greatly appreciated!
Old     (downfortheride)      Join Date: Jun 2005 Location: SLC, UT 5600'       06-14-2010, 3:40 PM Reply   
1- Get some slap shorts from a local dive shop, I use them spandex biker shorts just to keep em in tight!
2- Your getting good pop and rotation on a few of them. Try to spot your landing after getting inverted, it's like your getting ready to crash instead of landing the trick. Maybe even try to hold just a little more edge off the top of the wake so you go W2W. For your first attempts they look great!
Old     (mnwakerider)      Join Date: Jun 2004       06-14-2010, 3:43 PM Reply   
You're pretty close man. The biggest thing that I can see is that you need to wait for the pop a little more. You are tripping the board a little early. Your rotation is good, its more a matter of time and getting the speed dialed in. When you wait for the pop you will be amazed at how much more air you get and you will have time to spot your landing.
Also, it looks like you might want to ride at a little shorter line length. You wont case it so much and your Trantrums will be more wake to wake.
Keep at it.
Old     (stang_killa_ss)      Join Date: Jan 2010       06-14-2010, 3:48 PM Reply   
josh thanks for the shorts tip. its so hard to spot. everything happens so fast. yeah i guess i should change my mind set from "crash coming", to "hey i might get lucky and ride away"

John. thanks. yeah i noticed i was droping that hand pretty early. ill see what i can do on the line length ive always ridden at the shortest the main line will go. no extentions. i think 65'.

thanks! keep the tips coming!
Old     (jboneill)      Join Date: Feb 2010       06-14-2010, 3:49 PM Reply   
1st hold on
2nd dont back off your edge so early just nut up and cut harder so you can gap both wakes
3rd give it a few trys and you got it
Old     (gene3x)      Join Date: Apr 2005 Location: Dallas , TX       06-14-2010, 4:53 PM Reply   
I paused the video at takeoff. Dude you are tossing that handle as quickly as possible right as you takeoff, sometimes even before fully expecting to fall. Just take a little harder cut and hold onto the handle and you will be golden.
Old     (wakeandsnow27)      Join Date: Jun 2004       06-14-2010, 5:37 PM Reply   
first I would say a tad more speed to clear the wake...

regardless of that, it's all confidence in my opinion.... know you're going to land it and you will.... #2 and #3 should have been clean landings, even though they weren't wake to wake.
Old     (FloppyRider)      Join Date: Jun 2010       06-14-2010, 7:48 PM Reply   
Ok.. well first off i would have to say that you have way to much weight on your back leg and need a lot more on your front inorder to push off. Try to do some drills before doing the tantrum. 1) carv out side the wake on your heels and as you get to the end... flatten off and pop off your toes. 2) do a few back side entries pushing off the wake on your toes back into the flats... This should help you feel the pop and the trip flip edge. Hold on with just one hand and start this drill only about 5 fee outside the wake. 3) do the same drill except 2 hands and start a progressive apporach from 12 to 15 feet out side the wake and as you ride up the troff of the wake flatten up...make sure its when you start going up the wake.. you should push off your front foot more so ... this is why I said you need more weight on your front. think about squaring up and pointing the nose of the board toward the boat... chest and head are facing toward the shoreline and your completely squared up with the boat... ride up the wake all the way and the trick is done off your toes...thats why its called a trip flip edge trick. Hold on to that handle and concentrate on more weight on front foot, squaring off a lot more and waiting to pop off the very top of the wake.... This will work!
Old     (will5150)      Join Date: Oct 2002       06-15-2010, 9:16 AM Reply   
More speed- WAIT WAIT WAIT for the trip at the peak of the wake and hang on to the handle. Think about going straight up-look up and hold the handle in and you'll rotate just fine. This trick is about speed and height or you'll never clear the wake.
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       06-15-2010, 9:44 AM Reply   
LEARNWAKE.COM have a professional analyze and instruct you 10.00 a month to learn it right.
Old     (irishrider92)      Join Date: Jun 2009       06-15-2010, 10:20 AM Reply   
When you throw it keep both arms up like an arm wrestler. Same as what Will's sayin, leave it late, very late. After you spot your landing, keep going until you spot the shore. Do not look down when you land.
Old     (ryan_shima1)      Join Date: Sep 2002 Location: Layton, Utah       06-15-2010, 12:10 PM Reply   
Definitely wait a little longer to initiate the trick, you're throwing it early. Also, I would add to "lift" off the top of the wake from your hips. It looks like you don't maximize your pop because you stay crouched throughout the rotation. Right now, it looks like your trying to pull the board over your head instead of letting the top of the wake "kick" you over.

Hope this helps.
Old     (stang_killa_ss)      Join Date: Jan 2010       06-15-2010, 1:36 PM Reply   
Brian "When you throw it keep both arms up like an arm wrestler"

could you elaborate on that?

Robert, definatly planing on signing up.
Old     (t0nyv831)      Join Date: Jun 2008       06-15-2010, 5:35 PM Reply   
+2 for learnwake. Haven't thrown any tantrums yet, but learnwake is the next best thing to taking pro lessons IMHO.
Old     (irishrider92)      Join Date: Jun 2009       06-16-2010, 1:08 AM Reply   
Like keep your elbows bent at around a 45 degree angle, but keep them either side of you. In other words, put one arm up as if you were going to arm wrestle, the put the other arm up to match it, then move the left arm to the left and the right arm o the right, as far as they'll go, keeping the bend at the elbow, if you know what i mean.
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       06-16-2010, 2:06 PM Reply   
OUCH that made my knees hurt. Rule number one to learning any new trick, Never, ever, ever, never, ever, never toss the handle!
Old     (bcail)      Join Date: Aug 2007       06-16-2010, 2:27 PM Reply   
Andy, my son has just started working on these. Why do you say to Never.........................ever toss the handle?
Old     (richmondrider)      Join Date: Apr 2005       06-16-2010, 4:04 PM Reply   
Can't land a trick if you don't have the handle
Old     (stang_killa_ss)      Join Date: Jan 2010       06-16-2010, 6:39 PM Reply   
sure ya can....you just wont be riding away
Old     (will5150)      Join Date: Oct 2002       06-17-2010, 8:14 AM Reply   
With any Roll/Flip, etc. having the handle all the way to the other side of the wake really helps. With good speed and pop, you'll get pulled UP with the handle. Letting go at the wake will take a lof of momentum out of your trip flip and you'll roll really low- as demonstrated in your video! Tantrums are about height and speed and I said earlier. Based on my experience with these tricks, I have never cleared the wake doing a tantrum when I let go of the handle mid air- you need the energy from the boat to pull you over. Have fun!
Old     (will5150)      Join Date: Oct 2002       06-17-2010, 8:15 AM Reply   
Also- if you look at the pic on my profile- that was a Frantrum- both hands on the handle - it's a cheater way to do a roll/tantrum. Might want to try that first- I get a LOT fo height doing those.
Old     (stang_killa_ss)      Join Date: Jan 2010       06-17-2010, 1:46 PM Reply   
"having the handle all the way to the other side of the wake really helps"

could you elaborate? im not following...
Old     (ncsuuh)      Join Date: Jan 2007       06-17-2010, 2:03 PM Reply   
Bottom Line- Get the handle closer to your body. It is too far out and causing you to stay off balance. Pretend you are sitting in a chair and holding a plate with your elbows near your body. If that makes any sense.
Old     (will5150)      Join Date: Oct 2002       06-17-2010, 2:19 PM Reply   
in other words don't throw the handle. if you get all the way around and think you're going to get thrown down- then let it go- but not as you're leaving the wake as it looks in your vid.
Old     (jtnz)      Join Date: Sep 2007       06-17-2010, 3:33 PM Reply   
The handle is the point that you are rotating around, you let it go and you go off axis and crash, usually on your ribs on top of the wake which isn't nice, almost guaranteed on a tantrum.