Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through December 14, 2003

Old    jetpilotrider03            10-27-2003, 6:42 PM Reply   
the last couple of years we have started to see a new generating of riding. and i just wanted to see who everyone out there likes the most.. i think keith lyman kills it...correct me if you dont see this, and you cant so he isn't the best if you haven't seen meternome
Old     (socalwakepunk)      Join Date: Dec 2002       10-27-2003, 7:15 PM Reply   
My stylist doesn't ride, but the guy who mows my lawn does. Does he count?
Old     (blabel)      Join Date: Jul 2001       10-27-2003, 7:30 PM Reply   
My fiance Melissa is my new stylest, (1/4") setting on the clippers from target. And what do you know? She rides!!!!

If that's not what you were talking about, I do like Lymans style. In fact if he's in that vid I might have to buy it.
Old     (rvh3)      Join Date: Jul 2003       10-27-2003, 9:06 PM Reply   
After seeing the Jedi-Angi video, my vote goes to Angi Simpson.......
Old    jetpilotrider03            10-28-2003, 9:23 AM Reply   
im not talkin about hair...come on nowhaha....
Old    leggester            10-28-2003, 9:43 AM Reply   
Ah, then you'd understand that "stylish" and "stylist" are two different things. He was ribbing you on the word.
Old     (deepstructure)      Join Date: Jun 2002       10-28-2003, 12:27 PM Reply   
i still think rob struharik is the most stylish. lyman is sick, and many of the up and comers are doing sick tech tricks, but i have yet to see anyone grab as well as stru.
Old    murrayair            10-28-2003, 12:45 PM Reply   
I think Murray is the most stylish rider. Sooooo smmmmoooootttthhhh....
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       10-28-2003, 12:52 PM Reply   
Stru is becoming one of my favs too. I still love watching Harf ride the most though.
Old     (wakestar8878)      Join Date: Oct 2003       10-28-2003, 3:10 PM Reply   
Byerly defines Wakeboarding & Style....If it wasn't for Byerly, We would be Skiboarding, not Wakeboarding, and wearing neon board shorts and gloves. Byerly's style of riding, (along with the help of a few others) made the whole industry do a 180 and made Wakeboarding into a legit boardsport. I know that this thread was refering towards the new generation of riders, but we can't forget the few riders that took their dream and molded the sport into the board sport it is today..
Old     (timmy)      Join Date: Jul 2001       10-28-2003, 3:41 PM Reply   
my buddy brandon is damn stylish

you guys are too core for me.
Old     (thane_dogg)      Join Date: Jun 2002       10-28-2003, 3:47 PM Reply   
Vandall, no doubt.
Old    palmer            10-28-2003, 5:41 PM Reply   
Ill second.... VANDALL, no doubt. Look at his section in My side.
Old     (wakesk8er2)      Join Date: Mar 2002       10-29-2003, 1:01 PM Reply   
Watson, there is no other more stylish.
Old    maverick_gear            10-29-2003, 1:41 PM Reply   
VANDALL ALL THE WAY. Randall has more style, amplitude, skill and innovation than all the riders you guys just suggested. in case you didn't notice randy and parks shared rider of the universe this year! randall does stuff that is in video games for pete sake, if the vandall stuck his tricks during the pro tour you would be like.. Danny WHO? Watson WhO? if you ever see him ride in person you will absolutely be shocked amazed and dumbfounded!! he is THAT GOOOD!!!
Old    jetpilotrider03            10-29-2003, 1:46 PM Reply   
i dont think so at all..vandall doesn't have half the skill of parks, the height of shane, or hte style of lyman...
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       10-29-2003, 1:47 PM Reply   
he has more skill than everyone we're mentioning??

But you said, "IF HE STUCK HIS TRICKS."
Old     (thane_dogg)      Join Date: Jun 2002       10-29-2003, 2:05 PM Reply   
j-rod - you forgot the other half of the statment that makes it relevant: "if he stuck half his tricks DURING THE PRO TOUR"

opinion is. style is. what is. <- [not a '?']

style isn't in your tricks or your grabs or how high you get or how smooth you are....... style is YOUR state of mind, in the moment when YOU're existing in YOUR world. write that sh;t down.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       10-29-2003, 2:13 PM Reply   
I can agree that he has mad style. I just disagree with the 'skill' commment. Stomping tricks consistently on the tour does take skill.
Old     (thane_dogg)      Join Date: Jun 2002       10-29-2003, 2:24 PM Reply   
J-rod, nice profile pic.
Old     (deepstructure)      Join Date: Jun 2002       10-29-2003, 2:43 PM Reply   
i think randy doesn't get represented well on the pro tour because his way of riding (faster and farther out), doesn't work with the shorter spaces available in contests.

that said, nick i didn't know shane was known for getting height. randall gets insane height. many of the pro riders and folks that work in the industry that ive talked to agree that harris is one of the best in the business.
Old    jetpilotrider03            10-29-2003, 3:10 PM Reply   
i think style is more represented by the trick you do, the variety, and how well you do 'em, treakin out a grab, and going extra high, or just landin it blind, it has everything to do /w grabbing....
Old     (liveoz)      Join Date: May 2002       10-29-2003, 3:23 PM Reply   
Skill and style are two completely different things. Think of it terms of music; you have rock stars, and you have studio musicans.

Randall definately has style and more skill than all of us, but the post was looking for the rider with the most style.

I choose Randal over everyone else that I know of.
Old     (blabel)      Join Date: Jul 2001       10-29-2003, 4:04 PM Reply   
Whoever doubts Randal's lack of skill go back and watch his video parts in slow mo. You'll see what I mean. If you still don't by then, I'm sorry! As Christopher says, he gets respect from a lot of the pro riders out there, including Parks.

Style is opinion.

Here's an example:

Dallas Friday is considered by many to be the best female wakeboarder. That may be so skill wise but I would much rather watch and support someone who I think has better style. Girls like Leslie Kent and Melissa M have much better style and fluidity in their riding in my opinion. But on the other hand, one may think that going huge, doing mostly invertts with no grabs is their favorite style. It depends on what you like.

As for the men I have no favorite but here are the standouts for me:

Harris
Wahlman
Facciano
Schwenne
Aubrey
Watson
Lyman
Harf
Wright

To me, these people have their on way of making this sport look good.
Old    j_nads            10-29-2003, 4:46 PM Reply   
When you all say that someone has style, what characteristics does it take for someone to be stylish? Because if it is a certain way someone does there tricks then everyone has there own true style. It is when people imitate other riders when the style is no style.
Old    benbazis            10-29-2003, 5:56 PM Reply   
what up jonathan how did you do in australia?
Old    jetpilotrider03            10-29-2003, 8:04 PM Reply   
i think the true meaning of style has to do with how you throw down your tricks...what you do to make 'em stand out
Old     (dococ)      Join Date: Mar 2002       10-29-2003, 8:11 PM Reply   
What's up Blabel? I think your list is a pretty good one, but you gotta also give it up for the old dogs, Byerly and Nelson - those guys started it all for style in wakeboarding style, and Thomas H. also was a pretty important innovator pushing original style on a wakeboard. Now that I think about it, it's interesting that Randy's first board sponsorship was with O'Brien riding under Nelson, and from there he went to Waketech riding under Byerly. Coincidence?
Old     (blabel)      Join Date: Jul 2001       10-29-2003, 8:18 PM Reply   
Yeah true, forgot about those guys. Just haven't seen them ride in awhile. Thomas did have a killer style too. That reminds me, I think its about time to pop in Mayday again!

Forgot someone:

Necrasson. Killer style and its all his own.
Old     (obrienride16)      Join Date: Jul 2001       10-29-2003, 8:44 PM Reply   
necrasson has a sick section in metronome. billy mckee also has a pretty sick style.
Old    jetpilotrider03            10-29-2003, 9:10 PM Reply   
yeah..i agree with necrasson....he's style is like no other...just like parks in the jibs...everyone in meternome rides better than any video footage in considering the style of the riders
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       10-30-2003, 6:00 AM Reply   
It's funny how easily thinks are taken out of context. No one said he didn't have the skills.
Old     (rootc)      Join Date: Aug 2002       10-30-2003, 6:47 AM Reply   
Check out Gators section in Mayday. He is going huge on everything. Easy to understand why he blows his knee out.

As for Randy Harris - being a punk ass kid doesn't constitute as syle(IMO). He definately has skills, but when I compare him to Shane he doesn't hold a candle. Then again, style is completely arbitrary.

So many different styles out there. Who's to say what's good style and what's bad style. Would it still be style if it could be measured or had a standard for comparison?
Old     (blabel)      Join Date: Jul 2001       10-30-2003, 6:50 AM Reply   
Actually:

"i dont think so at all..vandall doesn't have half the skill of parks, the height of shane, or hte style of lyman..."

and:

"I can agree that he has mad style. I just disagree with the 'skill' commment. Stomping tricks consistently on the tour does take skill."

Looks to me like he was accused of not having the skill of others

Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       10-30-2003, 7:22 AM Reply   
Blabel...I missed the "half the skill comment."

But this is the comment I disagreed with:

"VANDALL ALL THE WAY. Randall has more style, amplitude, skill and innovation than all the riders you guys just suggested."

I didn't say he didn't have skills. I said I disagreed with this skill comment.

Old    j_nads            10-31-2003, 7:06 PM Reply   
Hey Ben I didn't do so well in Australia because I was hanging out wiht all of the guys from Great Britain and they do not know the meaning of chillin. It is straight up partying with those guys. Shoot me an email at JDNWAKEBOARDER@hotmail.com
Old    maverick_gear            10-31-2003, 9:59 PM Reply   
Here is a Valid question though.. who of you guys have actually ridden with any of these guys? i know johnatan has but what about the rest of you? Yo Johnathan next summer if there is a stop in portland were having a giant party at Wakeside.com's house, its gonna be sick john and I are setting it up right now its gonna be dope, i don't know if you remember me i met you in the beer garden at portland i was chillin with Jim and Thomas and adam gentry & philip, i was the brown haired Rep From up the NW. dude you had to have had a sick time in OZ there are sooo many girls there!!
Old    maverick_gear            10-31-2003, 10:06 PM Reply   
OK it comes down to this:

Parks and Randall are the best riders in the world End of Convo. So...

WHOS NUTZ DO YOU WANT TO SWING ON?

i think there both cool and are unique. and they kick ass harder than everyone else and thats the reason they were awarded Best riders ever from alliance. that decision didn't come off a whim, that came from all the pro riders, all the best photographers(Joey, Billy D & Letch) and the highley experienced tony and Billy at alliance
i am very sure if all those guys tied them then theres a reason....
Old    cdubs            11-01-2003, 10:11 AM Reply   
of all the riders ive ridden with randy is by far the best. all the stuff you see in videos he does consistent and alot more stuff also. behind my boat he hit a double grabbed backside 7 off the dub landing about 40 feet in the flats and about 18 feet up. he also hit a switch double grabbed backside 5 landing blind just as big off the dub. you gotta see his riding to understand.
Old     (electricsnow)      Join Date: May 2002       11-01-2003, 1:53 PM Reply   
doctor octagon, I just wanted to throw in the fact that after obrien, randy was independent a few years (two at the most) with sound. he didn't just go from riding with nelson to riding with byerly...
Old    jetpilotrider03            11-01-2003, 1:57 PM Reply   
i dont think randall is the best rider, cause if he was, how come he can't do well in hte comps...the best riders can adopt to any situation
Old     (kevin_bird)      Join Date: Dec 2002       11-01-2003, 3:39 PM Reply   
any of you seen Wakeboard wally on detention that teaching movie he kills it and his life jacket and board shorts are sick
Old    maverick_gear            11-02-2003, 8:39 AM Reply   
Nick, we already went over how randall rides and how the tour is setup.. with the line length and speed. i've seen randall do a double half cab off one side of the wake while the boat was still plowing,
Old     (electricsnow)      Join Date: May 2002       11-02-2003, 9:33 AM Reply   
Ok, then why hasn't byerly won a comp since Portland in 1996? Does that make him a bad rider? He didn't do that well at the first wakeskate comp this year so he must not be a very good wakeskater....

Competitons aren't everything. Some people actually train for comps so they can do well, and sorry, but randy isn't one of those guys. Seriously, nobody holds a candle to his riding.
Old    upupnaway            11-02-2003, 9:36 AM Reply   
How about Ruck? He is really smooth and laid back. He may not go huge, but I see great style in his riding.
Parks is the man though.
what about shapiro? not a whole lot of new stuff from him, but he does go HUGE.
Old     (timmy)      Join Date: Jul 2001       11-02-2003, 9:49 AM Reply   
you guys are all pro hos. haha
Old    upupnaway            11-02-2003, 9:55 AM Reply   
Free riding, I think Parks cannot be beat. he has probably forgotten or laid aside more tricks than we will ever learn. He rides anywhere, any time on any surface. The majority of the stuff coming from him these days seems to be free riding, unplanned spur of the moment stuff.
Watching him, he does not seem to take himself seriously, and I think thats what makes him so fun to watch. He goes out, kills his runs and moves on, always having a blast.
Old    maverick_gear            11-02-2003, 10:43 AM Reply   
ya your on the right track not so naked!! and once again i would have to say that pretty much if you haven't ridden with them then you have no idea what you are actually talking about......
Old    ross_carter            11-02-2003, 1:17 PM Reply   
Rob Jacques.
Old    j_nads            11-02-2003, 5:57 PM Reply   
Hey Mav shoot me an email man, I actually want to snowboard on hood. I will probably stay for a week or two in Portland next season.
Old    maverick_gear            11-02-2003, 9:38 PM Reply   
ya dood e-mail on the way i would have no problem taking you to hood
Old    jetpilotrider03            11-02-2003, 9:38 PM Reply   
not to change the subject...but hood rocks...especially in hte summer
Old     (deepstructure)      Join Date: Jun 2002       11-11-2003, 12:13 PM Reply   
"...and once again i would have to say that pretty much if you haven't ridden with them then you have no idea what you are actually talking about......"

please maverick. get off your high horse. you don't have to ride with these guys to know if they're good. it's definitely more exciting and impressive to actually see them do their stuff from behind the boat (or next to it), but that doesn't mean someone who has only seen these guys ride in videos and/or at comps doesn't have a valid opinion.

and yes, i have ridden with darin shapiro, shaun murray, chris law, lauren levine, chris williams, and josh sanders.

i find it interesting that no one commented on this:

"i've seen randall do a double half cab off one side of the wake while the boat was still plowing"

are you serious?? you need to back that up with something. i've seen parks attempt a 7 off one-wake on the d/u (in jakeman's video in a posting here), but this would be ridiculous. there's no way im believing that unless either cdub backs you up or you get video.

not that i don't agree that harris is an amazing rider obviously. if tricks are any indication, then the tie of parks and harris for best rider makes even more sense as parks also does a ts bs 5. you can see it in all or nothing. so far they're the only two that i've heard of doing this. and i've only seen parks'.

Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       11-11-2003, 12:51 PM Reply   
"i've seen randall do a double half cab off one side of the wake while the boat was still plowing"

I'm not buying that either.
Old     (thane_dogg)      Join Date: Jun 2002       11-11-2003, 1:42 PM Reply   
Randall does a wrapped ts bs 5 in NBT.

Nick - shuttup.
Old     (iewc_vp)      Join Date: Aug 2001       11-11-2003, 9:45 PM Reply   
Of all the riders I have seen I would have to say the person with the most style is the one with the biggest smile on thier face. I could give a damn about how high, how far, how many grabs and how many revolutions you do. If you dont look like your having fun, get back in the boat and let someone else ride. Troy Lindstrom, Thane Dogg, Todd Gabele, Bill J... those are some of the guys that I know have the most style. I have never seen these guys get in the boat without an ear to ear grin.
Old    jetpilotrider03            11-12-2003, 10:54 PM Reply   
why wrong thane man? just casue i dont like the "vandel".. doesn't mean i dont apreicaiat his style..and hell you even put down in your profile that you likel lyman and shane...who i have been arguin that i think have the best style...and i've seen better tricks than a wrapped ts bs 5 man...thats for ams wiseass
Old    jetpilotrider03            11-12-2003, 10:57 PM Reply   
what the hell does a smile have to do w/ having fun...some of us compete w/ ourselves..does that make "us" not worth lettin to ride? i think not
Old    maverick_gear            11-12-2003, 11:42 PM Reply   
First off the high horse that i seem to ride on was EARNED by blood sweat, tears and years of valuable contribution to the industry and sport of wakeboarding! I could care less if you BUY IT about randall, i know what i've seen him do and i've seen parks do some things that are just as "unbelieveable"... and yes hood kicks ass!
Old     (pyrosmurf)      Join Date: Apr 2002       11-13-2003, 3:05 AM Reply   
"and i've seen better tricks than a wrapped ts bs 5 man...thats for ams"

Like a big fat raley? Or Kovak's boner flip? Lemme guess, Park's double roll 360 thing is the best trick ever, 'cos he goes upsidedown twice with a spin, as quick as he can? Why do a tech, grabbed spin, when you can do a flip, right?

I hope someone else rips you to shreds for not appreciating what a wrapped TS BS 5 really is. I'm kinda hoping you were being sarcastic.
Old     (blabel)      Join Date: Jul 2001       11-13-2003, 6:29 AM Reply   
Hey nick, show me a TS backside 5. Actually just show me a 180 and I'll shut up. If its easy you should be able to do it. I think there's a reason why you see most pros doing the 180 but not a 3 or a five. Its hard and it looks good.
Old     (kristian)      Join Date: Nov 2002       11-13-2003, 6:43 AM Reply   
Any TS BS move is hard as hell.
Old     (timmy)      Join Date: Jul 2001       11-13-2003, 8:23 AM Reply   
my pro rider is cooler than your pro rider
Old    palmer            11-13-2003, 12:35 PM Reply   
no tim my dad could beat up yours. ha
Old    palmer            11-13-2003, 12:40 PM Reply   
and he has more style!
Old    jetpilotrider03            11-13-2003, 1:57 PM Reply   
dude..180's are cake..and hella fun to do..i love doin 'em switch
Old    wakeboardputz            11-13-2003, 2:53 PM Reply   
A wrapped ts bs 5 takes b*lls! Any backside trick is a stand out trick and the pro's stay away from those types of tricks in comp. What does that tell you. Nick...do you really ride?
Old     (iewc_vp)      Join Date: Aug 2001       11-13-2003, 3:08 PM Reply   
Nick you said you compete with yourself, you realize since you are competing with yourself no matter what you do you are still a loser right?
Old    wakeboardputz            11-13-2003, 3:17 PM Reply   
I will bet that nick does a lot of individual sports...if you know what I mean. He sure doesn't know "real" good riding. He doesn't get it.
Old     (deepstructure)      Join Date: Jun 2002       11-13-2003, 4:31 PM Reply   
don't know about harris, but the ts bs o/a 5 parks does in all or nothing is not wrapped.
Old    slideit            11-13-2003, 5:57 PM Reply   
boys,
can anyone out there spell editing! video riding is fun to watch but you really don't want to sit in a boat and watch half of these guys. you'll get sick from the boat turning around to pick them up. watson gets my vote
out
Old    jetpilotrider03            11-13-2003, 6:07 PM Reply   
you guys just dont get it do you...as far as i remember riding has and is not a team sport, niether is snowboarding, or hell wakeskating. how can it be, it is an indivual sport, even though i'ts not an individual environment. i never said that i didn't appreciate what harris can do, you just downplay it too much..besides, i'd rather spin than flip anyway man. you guys got me all wrong. hell, you never even got my point fr the start of the thread. all those who keep ripping on me dont get my point about vandal, yeah he gets the height, but i dont think that is neccessarly a great "style", it takes balls, but it doens't empathise anything about style. for those you you who think you are a good rider cause you throw down textbook tricks, and you cant tell the difference between your 360 and your buddies..i feel sorry for you, cause thats not style..and im sick of tryin to get my point across with all those of you whinnin about it...so quite complainin about my opinion, cause im not goin to sit around puttin up with it, im goin snowboardin the whole weekend instead
Old    slideit            11-13-2003, 6:14 PM Reply   
nick,
it must be nice to be able to understand style the way you do. take a full cut at one of those spins that you rather do and double grab it. then you can carry some weight!
Old    jetpilotrider03            11-13-2003, 6:51 PM Reply   
dude..did i ever say i could do some of lyman's 3's...thats why im acknowledging him
Old     (thane_dogg)      Join Date: Jun 2002       11-13-2003, 9:09 PM Reply   
Tim - BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAAA and excellent point.
Old     (sdboardr99)      Join Date: Aug 2001       11-13-2003, 9:30 PM Reply   
Wow Tim, I don't think anyone has ever accused me of having style before! Thanks!
Old     (jonb)      Join Date: Oct 2003       11-14-2003, 3:00 PM Reply   
all i have to say is watch randy's section in nbt
then u will understand why he has so much style. Not the hardest tricks but he takes them bigger and more tweaked than anyone else. Parks has the tech side Randy has the stle side.
Old    andystrawn            11-17-2003, 8:51 AM Reply   
Look how many times he grabs TINDY in that section, he even complains about other people doing it! Automatic disqualifier.

Best style=Greg Nelson, Josh Smith and Horrel get runners up.
Old     (wakestar8878)      Join Date: Oct 2003       11-17-2003, 9:35 AM Reply   
OK OK I know this isn't nessarily about style but, what about a couple of years ago at Worlds, when Randy was riding with a cast. He was doing insane wrapped spins, landing bling with the handle in his cast hand. That **** was insane. Some of the most incredible riding I've ever seen.