Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (rplogue7)      Join Date: Jul 2012       08-06-2013, 6:35 PM Reply   
So I'm your basic 16 year old wakeboarding/ snowboarding addict, and I'm getting pretty good at it in my opinion (throwing 3's, tantrums, scarecrows, etc.) I started this season on JULY 23rd at a 1 week camp, extremely late. I progressed a ton there, where I learned my key tricks. My parents somehow have a mastercraft x2, (with 900lbs ballast) but It's basically like I never get to use it. Maybe one time a week, inconsistently. Since the camp I've had little to no progression. I'm riding a Ronix District 138, and I thought it was good but I demo'd the liquid force b.o.b. and found that my board was hindering my progression, or by the feel of it. My parents are rich as f*(&, they've got millions in the bank and stuff. I've been working the summer and had to pay for my drivers ed because they wouldn't. They won't pay for ballast bags, a new board, anything having to do with wakeboarding. I think I've got some serious competition potential in me but I've never had a real opportunity to express it since the camp I attended. I am holding $220 in my hand that I earned and cashed but my dad refused to order the Ronix Parks on evo that is for sale. I just need an idea, from someone out there that could help me so I can reach my full potential in this sport. Because where I'm at now has got me ancy as can be!!! And haha if you can hook me up with some riding time im in Gilford/Laconia area in NH. thanks guys!
Old     (simplej)      Join Date: Sep 2011       08-06-2013, 7:19 PM Reply   
It's the Indian not the arrow. You likely don't need a new board. If its worth it to you, get a job and stick with it. Go demo a slingshot in Maine and support grassroots wakeboarding up here rather than throw your money at an online mega shop, in the meantime take off your fins.. As for ride time, if your parents aren't in it I'm sure you'll find friends who are, you are old enough to take the boat exam. Also don't toot your own horn, let your riding speak for itself. You don't need ballast bags until you start throwing 5's and up, and there is a lot of tricks you can learn between your progress an 540.
If your parents have millions in the bank send them my way....
Old     (ralph)      Join Date: Apr 2002       08-06-2013, 7:32 PM Reply   
I would like to thank the OP for this comedy gold.
Old     (brett33)      Join Date: Apr 2011       08-06-2013, 7:54 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by simplej View Post
If your parents have millions in the bank send them my way....
I was wondering if he has an older sister!
Old     (MICAH_HARPER)      Join Date: Apr 2010       08-07-2013, 4:51 AM Reply   
Good for your parents making you work for something in life
Old     (MICAH_HARPER)      Join Date: Apr 2010       08-07-2013, 4:51 AM Reply   
but i disagree on the no ballast before 5's
Old     (jaybee)      Join Date: Aug 2007       08-07-2013, 7:03 AM Reply   
If this is not a wind up then thank you parents now for the work ethic they are instilling in you!
Old     (Goonz)      Join Date: Sep 2012       08-07-2013, 7:32 AM Reply   
Parenting done right
Old     (wakebordr11)      Join Date: May 2001       08-07-2013, 9:53 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by rplogue7 View Post
So I'm your basic 16 year old wakeboarding/ snowboarding addict, and I'm getting pretty good at it in my opinion (throwing 3's, tantrums, scarecrows, etc.) I started this season on JULY 23rd at a 1 week camp, extremely late. I progressed a ton there, where I learned my key tricks. My parents somehow have a mastercraft x2, (with 900lbs ballast) but It's basically like I never get to use it. Maybe one time a week, inconsistently. Since the camp I've had little to no progression. I'm riding a Ronix District 138, and I thought it was good but I demo'd the liquid force b.o.b. and found that my board was hindering my progression, or by the feel of it. My parents are rich as f*(&, they've got millions in the bank and stuff. I've been working the summer and had to pay for my drivers ed because they wouldn't. They won't pay for ballast bags, a new board, anything having to do with wakeboarding. I think I've got some serious competition potential in me but I've never had a real opportunity to express it since the camp I attended. I am holding $220 in my hand that I earned and cashed but my dad refused to order the Ronix Parks on evo that is for sale. I just need an idea, from someone out there that could help me so I can reach my full potential in this sport. Because where I'm at now has got me ancy as can be!!! And haha if you can hook me up with some riding time im in Gilford/Laconia area in NH. thanks guys!
Wait... so you don't like the district, demoed the bob, liked it, but are going to order a parks????

Here's the deal man. You want to take the boat out, pay for gas. I was lucky to have my family purchase a boat in 2000, it isn't great but I still rock it. I usually run it unweighted to save gas and trouble filling sacks. I've paid for nearly all of my gas through the years since I was like 13. I've bought all of my own ski gear and wakeboard gear except the boat. My parents didn't have millions, but I've never expected a dime.

Point is: sack up. You want to use the boat, prove to them you are responsible enough to handle it. You want to use it, maintain it, wax it, clean it, change the oil, put gas in it, prove that you are a responsible operator.

I'm not trying to bust your chops too bad but you're post comes across as "me me me" when really you've got a sick boat from your parents... You aren't entitled to anything. Make the most of what you've got.
Old     (Bam6961)      Join Date: Apr 2011       08-07-2013, 10:35 AM Reply   
once you get a car/license hit up the find a third section, that's where i would get most of my riding. your probably not paying for the gas when your parents pull you but i would just keep bugging them about the ballast and look on ebay or craigslist for a good deal, and maybe eventually they or you will buy a few bags. im sure if you start throw throwing down some gas money then they probably won't mind it but as of now i would just ride for free as long as you can. i don't know what length you ride behind on your x2 but try going at a shorter line length like 60' off, with the appropriate speed for that length the wake will be bigger cuz your going slower.

also the parks and b.o.b are two different boards, just because its new doesn't mean it better. you should wait a year for the price to drop and buy the board you demoed because if you buy the parks you may not like it.
Old     (kamighazi)      Join Date: Nov 2008       08-07-2013, 12:59 PM Reply   
1. Go get you a bunch of buckets @ hardware store ~$100
2. fill them with heavy material = weighing complete
3. Open a bank account, put money in said account
4. Open Paypal account tied to above account
5. Buy a used board on the cheap off ebay with money left over, from someone that accepts paypal

Parental circumvention complete.... (thank them for being cool enough to have a boat, and letting your stinky @ss even get in it)
Old     (rplogue7)      Join Date: Jul 2012       08-07-2013, 2:58 PM Reply   
Thanks for all the suggestions haha, I asked my boss (I work at a wakeboard store) he said he'd put 5 extra days on my upcoming schedule and give me a parks 2013 board for free. It's sitting in my lap now. anyways ballast will probably come next year because in New Hampshire the riding time is a little slimmer. My buddy mike down at the marina said I could use his twin 450lb sacs till the end of this season. So my boats loaded with an 1800 lb wake, and I'm gonna go shred tomorrow. One day was all it took haha
Old     (V8_Killer)      Join Date: Feb 2013       08-07-2013, 4:53 PM Reply   
Thanks to the OP for reminding me to do everything I can to find a balance between giving my daughter a good life and spoiling her.
Old     (Jmaxymek)      Join Date: Feb 2012       08-07-2013, 5:52 PM Reply   
Sounds like all you need to do is use your job more to your advantage. Working at a wakeboard store you should be immersed in the sport, meeting people and having coworkers with boats or other connections. Also your board situation has me curious as well. You ride a district, loved the BOB, then got a Parks? You spanned the map of wakeboards in three bounds. I'd like to hear what you think of the Parks after you ride it tomorrow!
Old     (rplogue7)      Join Date: Jul 2012       08-07-2013, 7:50 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmaxymek View Post
Sounds like all you need to do is use your job more to your advantage. Working at a wakeboard store you should be immersed in the sport, meeting people and having coworkers with boats or other connections. Also your board situation has me curious as well. You ride a district, loved the BOB, then got a Parks? You spanned the map of wakeboards in three bounds. I'd like to hear what you think of the Parks after you ride it tomorrow!
Haha yeah, a strange turn indeed. Speaking of, this year I have met some huge pro icons, including dean smith and Shane bonifay. Those guys are super chill. I am one lucky kid
Old     (vDanglz)      Join Date: Aug 2013       08-08-2013, 9:12 PM Reply   
Riley...r u kidding me. haha stay classy man. I know u in real life. im also from NH... can u guess? hint... "wakesetter"
Old     (JayManAR)      Join Date: Dec 2012       08-09-2013, 6:43 AM Reply   
You work at a wakeboard store but wanted to order the Parks from evo?
Old     (rplogue7)      Join Date: Jul 2012       08-09-2013, 6:47 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayManAR View Post
You work at a wakeboard store but wanted to order the Parks from evo?
Long story short, I was looking for the lower price and did not have faith I could get a hookup at my shop.
Old     (simplej)      Join Date: Sep 2011       08-09-2013, 7:29 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by rplogue7 View Post
Long story short, I was looking for the lower price and did not have faith I could get a hookup at my shop.
Then find a new shop, if you work there and they won't hook you up