Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through March 18, 2009

Old     (agonzales1981)      Join Date: Jun 2008       06-03-2008, 5:51 AM Reply   
I ran across this on my local craigslist board. Looking to get my first ski boat and the 2001 seems to be a good choice for my budget (<10k). Boat will be used for wakeboarding/tubing/joy riding. 750 hours on teh boat. He is asking $8k. I would want to add a tower right away, not sure what else yet. What would you guys offer? Here is the ad.

1982 Ski Nautique COMPLETELY RESTORED!!! New custom interior, New aluminum trailer, Rebuilt 300HP Engine with only 240 hours. This Nautique is Truly Unique! Mature Adult Owner, Everything Works Perfectly, Used only 4 times last year! This sale also includes: 2 Propellers(original 3 blade and upgraded 4 blade OJ prop), Nice Stereo System, Wakeboard Sky Pole, and Custom Bimini top. Call @ (xxx)xxx-xxxx, during business hours, or Email me 24/7 for Photos or more details.
Old     (trdon)      Join Date: Sep 2007       06-03-2008, 7:26 AM Reply   
Might be better if you posted the photos or the link. Anybody can make anything sound nice, but the price could be better. I sold my all original, near mint one 85 for 7500 with under 800hrs. I had it at 8900 but dropped the price a couple times just to get interest. If he is experienceing the same difficulty I did selling it, I woulddefinately try to shoot 6500 when you are there talking with him just to see what he says about it and then work from there. But the key is to do it in person to show you are serious about it. I had people offering me 7K on the phone without looking so I told thme to come look before we talk about an offer like that and they never showed up
Old     (froese)      Join Date: Jun 2005       06-03-2008, 7:26 AM Reply   
If the motor is in good shape AND the floor is in good shape then that is a reasonable price.

'82 is the first year these boats were built and the dash is not a 'nice' looking as it is in the '85's and up. Ask if he re-did the stringers. If they haven't been redone, then you need to check the floor for soft spots. feel behind the driver's seat, in front of the passenger seat and look for separation of the floor and the side walls (is there any gap?). Any gap or soft spots are a big indicator that you will need to redo the stringers at some point. Not a big deal, but another $2k - $3k.

The boat should be smooth when running, no vibration - feel for vibration on acceleration at different speeds (hole shot, mid-speed and max speed).

The prop/shaft should be able to spin by using your hand - if it's really really tight, there is some alignment issue. It won't free spin loosely, but you should be able to move it.

Feel for smoothness in the tranny when you move the throttle lever into forward and reverse (assuming you'll test drive it).

If this boat is in the condition it says, I would pay $8k for an '82. I just spent $1300 on a new interior for my '85. The bimini top is worth a couple hundred... so you're starting with a nice boat.

You will not be disappointed with the wake... Here's a video from behind mine (with 2k lbs. weight): http://froese.smugmug.com/gallery/3712738_HgrBy#301154409_kRn9v-A-LB
Old     (agonzales1981)      Join Date: Jun 2008       06-03-2008, 7:35 AM Reply   
This is what he said about the stringers:

This Nautique has been completely restored.
We fiberglassed the stringers and coated them with marine epoxy.
This Nautique is solid as a rock! The pictures speak for themselves!!!

The pics he sent:

[IMG]http://i32.tinypic.com/2gtw5sy.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i26.tinypic.com/2i27lsw.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i25.tinypic.com/oubfwl.jpg[/IMG]
Old     (agonzales1981)      Join Date: Jun 2008       06-03-2008, 7:43 AM Reply   
Sick video fro-z, thanks bro
Old     (froese)      Join Date: Jun 2005       06-03-2008, 7:44 AM Reply   
Sharp lookin' boat. If they did do that stringer work (do they have pics of the floor torn up?) it may be worth the $8k.

Vinyl doesn't look GREAT in my opinion, but it's better than many.

Pics of the engine? The pictures he sent don't really say a whole lot about the boat and its structural integrity. Ask for pics of the engine, pics of the stringers and take it for a test drive.
Old     (froese)      Join Date: Jun 2005       06-03-2008, 7:45 AM Reply   
What's the location? I may know some local folks with similar boats...
Old     (agonzales1981)      Join Date: Jun 2008       06-03-2008, 7:47 AM Reply   
Going to call and ask for more pictures of engine, stringer work, etc. Going to try and get him down on price as much as I can. Any other info. appreciated. Thanks!
Old     (agonzales1981)      Join Date: Jun 2008       06-03-2008, 7:48 AM Reply   
Boat is in houston. I'm willing to go basically anywhere in TX/LA for the right boat.
Old     (jon4pres)      Join Date: May 2004       06-03-2008, 7:52 AM Reply   
Nice looking boat. If it has new stringers and the engine all checks out I think it is a decent price.

I have an 82 and actually like the dash better than the 85+ dash. I think it has more of a classic look to it. It is all opinion both dashes tell you the same thing. The only thing that I think you are really missing by going pre 85 is the glove box.
Old     (agonzales1981)      Join Date: Jun 2008       06-03-2008, 7:55 AM Reply   
Also, wondering how this boat compares guys. Pros/Cons compared to the 82? Like I said it's my first boat and it will be used for wakeboarding, tubing, joyriding. Beginner wakeboarder as well. Hope to keep the boat I get for a good 3-4 years then upgrade.

http://austin.craigslist.org/boa/704465762.html
Old     (froese)      Join Date: Jun 2005       06-03-2008, 7:55 AM Reply   
I'm in Dallas. If that one doesn't work out and you find one up here, send me a txt @ 214.876.3291 and I'll be happy to check it out if it's local. I posted on the2001.com to see if anyone is local to Houston.
Old     (froese)      Join Date: Jun 2005       06-03-2008, 7:56 AM Reply   
Haha! Jon - define 'glove box':: place to put things that will slip out of the boat? ;)

I agree, the '82 has a very nice, classic look to the dash.
Old     (agonzales1981)      Join Date: Jun 2008       06-03-2008, 8:03 AM Reply   
Fro,

I appreciate it, if I find something in Dallas I will let you know.

thanks again!
Old     (jon4pres)      Join Date: May 2004       06-03-2008, 8:05 AM Reply   
That second boat you put up is a very nice boat. It will have fiberglass stringers so you should not ever have to worry about that problem but if you want to wakeboard the wake on that boat will never be as good as the 2001s.

Fro-z Well I guess if you have one of the rare unbroken lids you have something.
Old     (agonzales1981)      Join Date: Jun 2008       06-03-2008, 8:11 AM Reply   
Jon,

Im a beginner as far as wakeboarding, will the wake be that much less to where I'll wish I had a 2001? Like I said I want to upgrade in 3-4 years.
Old     (srh00z)      Join Date: Jun 2003       06-03-2008, 8:19 AM Reply   
I would buy the 2001 over the newer Nautique. If you have already gotten the bug for boarding, you will push yourself to a point where wake size/shape will be important to you in the next year or so. The 2001 wake is about as good as it gets for alot of people. The newer Nautique won't be bad, just isn't as good. The trailer on the 2001 is probably worth a fair amount too. I would offer less, maybe around 7K. All they can say is know, and you may be surprised.
Old     (burban89)      Join Date: Nov 2006       06-03-2008, 8:23 AM Reply   
I purchased an 84 SN2001 this year and I also am a beginner. With no weight in the boat you still have a nice wake. I have had 1500lbs in it and it is freaking awesome. I love the boat. It will be a boat to progress in for sure. If it is just me and my g/f I ride minimal weight. But when other friends come out and ride we weighted. It seems to be really good on gas to.
Old    atom_ant            06-03-2008, 10:08 AM Reply   
DEFINITELY! the 82. We have a 96, which is pretty much the same shape as the 90 and the wake with no weight is disappointing. To get a quality wake it takes a Volks Wagon worth of weight. I have an '84 also and with 4-5 people, no ballast, the wake is fun and enough for any beginner. You put 1500 lbs. in it and you'll love it. The price seems fair, especially if that motor really has 300 h.p.! Originally they came with 245 or 265..... not sure which.
Listen to what Froese said and you'll be good to go.

Also see if those fenders are rubbing, they look close.
Old     (froese)      Join Date: Jun 2005       06-03-2008, 11:14 AM Reply   
You'll want a bigger wake, and it won't take long. Go with the 2001, i say. Better wake, better gas consumption and you'll always have a project to work on ;)

Really, the wake can be as small or as big as you want, but its the shape that is nice - no matter how much weight you have - empty to sac'd out, it's gonna be the shape you want/need to progress in wakeboarding.
Old     (wake1823)      Join Date: Dec 2005       06-03-2008, 11:45 AM Reply   
FYI, that boat is run in saltwater. Look at the pic of the rudder, that' a zinc attached to it. You only use those if your running in saltwater alot or moor in saltwater.
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       06-03-2008, 11:46 AM Reply   
I'm in Houston. Ask him where he rides to confirm saltwater or no salt if you wanna know or even care.
Old     (ferrarispider95)      Join Date: Mar 2002       06-03-2008, 1:18 PM Reply   
Also has aluminum trailer, which is evident it has been in saltwater. Looks like a good buy. Just make sure the condition of all the risers, etc.

I had an 82, they are sweet boats.
Old     (froese)      Join Date: Jun 2005       06-03-2008, 4:23 PM Reply   
Saltwater running would drop the price for me and possibly be a 'no go' on buying it.
Old     (agonzales1981)      Join Date: Jun 2008       06-05-2008, 1:25 PM Reply   
alright, thanks guys, gonna talk to him this weekend.
Old     (agonzales1981)      Join Date: Jun 2008       06-09-2008, 8:53 AM Reply   
I asked about the saltwater, this is what he said.

The boat was used in Baytown,Texas.
The water in Cedar Bayou is brakish,(fresh/salt)mix.
Of course, the engine was ALWAYS flushed with fresh water.
Old     (ride_klein)      Join Date: Aug 2003       06-09-2008, 10:07 AM Reply   
AJ-

I'm going to be in Houston this weekend. If it's close I'll drop by and take a look if you're interested in it after talking with him. I'm happy to let you know what I think about the boat

RK
Old     (agonzales1981)      Join Date: Jun 2008       06-09-2008, 10:09 AM Reply   
Ryan,

I will definitely let you know something by the end of the week. Thanks for the offer!