Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through August 01, 2004

Old     (bjgreenewb)      Join Date: Jun 2003       07-28-2004, 11:45 AM Reply   
To end the debates about the quality of the SSV wake, here is a link that proves how good the wake is. Notice the height of the wakeboarder named Nick Griffin behind an 04 SSV that ONLY HAS THE STOCK BALLAST BAGS. He rode with a 75 foot rope at 24 mph with the wake plate all of the way up. Without extra ballast or weight, check out how huge you can go behind an 04 Launch SSV factory setup:

http://www.wakeboardindiana.com/portal/DesktopModules/ShowFeature.aspx?tabindex=0&tabid=1&FeatureID=2

Just to note that I am not biased, a factory Malibu Wakesetter V-drive with factory ballast also produces a good enough wake to do all of these tricks. We took this Malibu, which I was considering to buy, out with Gerry Nunn and Gerry rode with an 80 foot rope at about 24 mph. He also could get huge air and do all of his bag of tricks with Malibu's factory setup.

The reason for this post? I have heard a lot of bashing of Supra's boats, wake, etc... and I just wanted to let you know the facts. No opinion is presented in this post at all, just the facts.

Old    zboomer            07-28-2004, 11:55 AM Reply   
I haven't seen any Supra bashing lately to be honest. Are you proving something that was never questioned to begin with? :-)
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       07-28-2004, 12:04 PM Reply   
Not bashing Supra, but I did not see anything on there that a pro could not do behind an I/O.
Old     (buluver)      Join Date: Jun 2004       07-28-2004, 12:18 PM Reply   
Yoyo
And your point is..............
Old     (hymaeringo)      Join Date: Jul 2004       07-28-2004, 12:26 PM Reply   
yoyo I've been know to throw down my arsenal on a stock 19 foot four winns,chapparel, even sea ray. I saw not one pic of the actual wake only riders in the air. Supras are nice I rode behind one in a contest earkier this year and got 3rd outta 17 and the wake was very very big but was also weighted. I threw a moinstrous frontside 3 off the dub that went down as the biggest air of the contest!
Old     (evil_e)      Join Date: May 2004       07-28-2004, 12:27 PM Reply   
From the looks of the boat pics, that looks like the Gravity Games Edition. If it is, that would make it double the stock ballast. I could be wrong, but that's what it looks like to me. That being said, I agree with you, the SSV has a great wake even with the stock ballast. I've got one and you can still launch with the best of them off the stock wake.
Old    zboomer            07-28-2004, 12:31 PM Reply   
FWIW, I don't think the GG SSV comes with the GG bags. I know that's wierd, but I think it comes with the same bags as the regular SSV. You still have to buy the larger bags separately if you want them (due to USCG weight regs.)
Old     (bjgreenewb)      Join Date: Jun 2003       07-28-2004, 12:36 PM Reply   
I'm not saying that a good wakeboarder can't get a lot of air behind an I/O or any other boat. However, I have never seen anyone get that kind of air behind an average I/O. I rode behind an 01 Malibu Respons LX direct drive and a 98 Mobius direct drive before my experience with these two boats. It seemed that we never had enough weight to get the air and hangtime we wanted off the of the wake. The wake just wasn't big enough.

I am stating fact that amid the confusion of different opinions of boat wakes and how people weight their boats down to get huge air, the SSV provides a world class wake with only factory ballast. I am an intermediate boarder that can get decent air and land out in the flats. Both the VLX and the SSV made a huge difference in my performance and bothe of these boats have factory ballast.

Since I had no access to an SSV before I purchased one, I didn't know if I needed to upgrade the factory ballast to the gravity games edition ballast, add cement weight, or any additional weight to get hangtime like the pros behind my boat. Now that I know, I'm just sharing some good information to those that are thinking about a wakeboard boat for their next purchase, don't rule out an SSV. With an SSV, you don't need to add big weight to get a big wake. The same goes for Malibu VLX as well.

Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       07-28-2004, 1:31 PM Reply   
Nautiques, Mastercrafts, Tiges, Sangers, Calibrias(sp?).........
Old     (evil_e)      Join Date: May 2004       07-28-2004, 1:38 PM Reply   
I could have sworn the GG edition came with the GG bags, seems kind of stupid if it doesn't. Can someone with a GG edition SSV verify this?
Old     (healing)      Join Date: Dec 2002       07-28-2004, 1:54 PM Reply   
Come on yoyo, you can't even see the wake in those pics or tell how high the rider is? But I do know that any tournament v-drive with factory ballast will kick a pro rider. But these pics are poor representation of what the wake looks like. IMHO
Old     (bjgreenewb)      Join Date: Jun 2003       07-28-2004, 2:59 PM Reply   
The GG edition SSV is what the boat we used is. However, it does not come with GG edition ballast. It only comes with the factory SSV ballast bags. You can't even order it from the factory with GG edition ballast. You have to get gg edition ballast through a dealer or third party. zboomer is right on the money with his post.

"Nautiques, Mastercrafts, Tiges, Sangers, Calibrias":

I have only ridden behind an Air Nautique that had additional weight other than the factory ballast. It had a great wake and was used by the Lonestar wakeboard camp. However, I never had a chance to try it with only factory ballast. I assume it would be good, but that would be my opinion since I have not tried it with factory only setup.

healing:

There are a couple pics of the wake, but looks are not what I am talking about. Performance is the factor I am referring to. Although the wake does look great. Nick was getting between 5 to 9 feet of air for his tricks. That should be evident in the pics.

Old     (scooby76)      Join Date: Apr 2002       07-28-2004, 3:05 PM Reply   
From my understanding you have to order the GG bags seperately. The factory cannot deliver the boat with those in. I believe that would put it over the CG rating.

Which, not meaning to be a jerk, but helps me dispute yoyo's claim:

"I am stating fact that amid the confusion of different opinions of boat wakes and how people weight their boats down to get huge air, the SSV provides a world class wake with only factory ballast."

Don't get me wrong the SSV will through that wake with added weight. As will any of the flagship boat for the respective company. But that is not the case when equipped with stock ballast. This is the exact reason that you can buy custom GG bags.
Old     (bjgreenewb)      Join Date: Jun 2003       07-28-2004, 3:18 PM Reply   
scooby76, that is the point of this post. It is easy to be led in believing that you need the GG edition ballast in an SSV to get a wake that is needed to get great air and floaty time for doing advanced level tricks.
After riding in a factory ballast SSV many times this year and watching other boarders that are better than me behind this boat, I have discovered that the SSV with factory ballast throws great wake for all of this. No additional weight needed.
Now that I have talked facts, here is my opinion as to why they offer GG edition ballast. I think that it is very popular to aggressively add weight to any boat to get the wake as big as it possibly can get disregarding cargo restrictions. Supra and or the GG edition ballast manufacturer is meeting the demand to provide what people want to buy regardless of if they need it or not so they can make money.

Old     (talltigeguy)      Join Date: Sep 2003       07-28-2004, 5:12 PM Reply   
Ringo and Paul are right on the money. Excellent technique will get a person a lot more air than big ballast. Ballast helps us people with poor technique (me) get bigger air. I agree that the pictures don't show much about the wake, but even if they showed the wake better, I think pictures rarely do justice to the real feel of a wake. I have those exact kind of pictures from my 21V tige without any ballast.

Having said all that, I think your main point is that the SSV is capable of helping a good rider do anything they want - point well taken. I don't recall anyone bashing the wake.
Old     (wake_eater)      Join Date: May 2003       07-28-2004, 5:26 PM Reply   
the difference between a SSV & a GG SSv is the options that come with the GG. you get a different tower, upgraded stereo system, xm radio, "nascar" style graphics package, & a unique color scheme. they only come with stock ballast from the factory to conform to USCG standards, but you can order the GG bags from your dealer & swap em out. i have a 04 SSV with the GG bags and the wake is ridiculous. i love it because it just launches me. i love supras & have had 3 skiers choice boats. i would put them against any other boat out there. there are many excellent boats out there, you just have to find out what fits your needs best!