Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through June 07, 2004

Old     (badzuki)      Join Date: Sep 2001       05-14-2004, 4:23 PM Reply   
What is the name of the closest campground to the cove? What is the closest launch. Any tips? Anybody going to be around over Memorial Weekend?
Old     (akdoc)      Join Date: Feb 2004       05-14-2004, 6:05 PM Reply   
badzuki,
the closest public ramp to the cove is PB#2. You would only have about a mile to go on the water. I don't know about campgrounds, I'm sure there are some fairly close to the ramp. Go to www.golakeozarks.com you should be able to find some info there. I'm gonna be at the lake, but not at the cove. There will be tons of water patrol at the cove, be careful!
Old     (badzuki)      Join Date: Sep 2001       05-15-2004, 7:02 AM Reply   
Is the #2 for mile marker #2? Is the cove in Watson Hollow Cove?
Old     (akdoc)      Join Date: Feb 2004       05-15-2004, 7:33 AM Reply   
yes, #2 is mile marker numbers, but there are different arms at Lake of the Ozarks, so you need to know mile marker and arm. The cove is at mm#4 on the grandglaize arm, in Anderson Hollow cove. I looked at your profile, you will need to be very careful if your driving your x-star to the cove on memorial weekend, there will be huge rollers.
Old     (badzuki)      Join Date: Sep 2001       05-15-2004, 7:54 AM Reply   
I haven't found a map that has all the details I am looking for. Is Grand Glaize Arm the whole part that is Southeast of 54? So then that puts the cove just past a malibu beach that is mm#2, of course anderson hollow cove is not labeled on my map. Is there a good map you know of?
Old     (akdoc)      Join Date: Feb 2004       05-15-2004, 8:41 AM Reply   
Here you go!

Old     (akdoc)      Join Date: Feb 2004       05-15-2004, 8:42 AM Reply   
Sorry, I'll try again

image/bmpOzarks Map
Ozarks Map.bmp (146.7 k)
Old     (badzuki)      Join Date: Sep 2001       05-15-2004, 9:08 AM Reply   
Thanks, I had the right place
Old     (kstateskier)      Join Date: May 2002       05-16-2004, 6:31 PM Reply   
badzuki, be careful down there on the weekend in an X-Star. You will have to be VERY careful not to swamp that thing. I lived down there for 6 months and saw a 24V Tige take a roller over the bow in the No Wake Zone at PB #2. That wasn't even a holiday weekend. I was out on the 4th in a 30 ft. Regal and we about took a roller over the side. It is bad. If you make it to the cove have fun.

Also, watch out for other people. Last August a 42 foot Trojan ran into a 50 foot Carver, both just before dusk with all their running lights on. People just don't pay attention there, especially to people in little boats (i.e. less than 35ft.)
Old     (badzuki)      Join Date: Sep 2001       05-17-2004, 4:22 AM Reply   
If we headed over to the cove before noon it would have to be okay wouldn't it? Is there any smart ideas? Like following in the tracks of another boat over there? Any tips?
Old     (deuce)      Join Date: Mar 2002       05-17-2004, 6:39 AM Reply   
People in little boats (i.e. less than 35ft.)....

E.J.
Old    slalomskifreak            05-17-2004, 7:12 AM Reply   
I went out over the 4th to the party cove 2 years ago. I have never seen anything like it before. Waves that is. I submerged my Prostar190 at night in other boats wakes and blew out all my lights, I had 6 inches of water over the floor boards. My problem is that I have a mid-engine and my boat is about 30ft to short. You might be better off since you have a v-drive and if you can keep the nose high while going slow. Even following another large boat doesn't help because most of them are running pretty fast and the waves are coming from all directions. On the way to the cove I almost had a 40' Fountain run me over. It is crazy!!! Be careful. And yes, KStateSkier is right. Anything less than 35' is little. My true advise is "Don't Go!!", but if you have to; go early and don't drive your boat at night on the weekends or over the holiday.
Old     (kstateskier)      Join Date: May 2002       05-17-2004, 7:45 AM Reply   
The last 2-3 mile stretch from where the Grand Glaize starts at the US-54/Grand Glaize bridge to the cove is crazy. It doesn't matter if it's 9 or 10 am, you have waves coming from every direction. It's not like a normal lake where you can prepare for one, once you hit one, you will get another one from a different direction.

EJ, I'm not kidding. The average boat on the lake on the weekend is probably a 38' Fountain. Not to mention the 50+ feet Sea Rays, Trojans, and Carvers flying along about 30 pushing a tidal wave. The worst is that the Grand Glaize is like a highway with no lane structure, you have boats going 50+mph in every direction.

And also, if you go early, be prepared to stay late, as you will never get out of the cove if you go early. You'll have to wait for everyone else to leave. I'd say if you really want to see party cove, rent a houseboat, park it in the cove Thurs/Fri. night and leave your X-Star in Iowa.
Old     (bbeach)      Join Date: Jul 2002       05-17-2004, 9:30 AM Reply   
Everything these guys say is true! Last year on Labor Day weekend we went to Party Cove in a 32 foot Cobalt and almost got swamped and the driver was a very experienced driver... If you make it there alive its a great time! Take your camera and plenty of beer!
Old     (akdoc)      Join Date: Feb 2004       05-17-2004, 9:50 AM Reply   
badzuki,
I second, third and fourth everyone's opinion here. Memorial weekend is the kickoff for party cove. People will be amped up to party and not pay attention to anything else. If you are going to go in your x-star, get there before 9:30, the waves will not be as bad, but like someone else said plan on staying till 7 or so. If you are going to launch at PB#2 it will be nearly impossible to get the boat back on the trailer at the end of the day because of how rough it will be.
by the way, your boat will get soaked because of people using water cannons, water balloons, etc..., make sure you bilge is in excellent working order before you go!!!
Old     (deuce)      Join Date: Mar 2002       05-17-2004, 10:19 AM Reply   
Keep the stories coming... This is crazy stuff.

Every now and then around here you may get the huge tour boat on Powell or Flaming Gorge... But it is easy to avoid the roller. Having 40+' boats going in every which direction all the time gives me butterflies in my stomach just thinking about it.... Sounds strange, but true....it makes me anxious.

E.J.
Old     (badzuki)      Join Date: Sep 2001       05-17-2004, 10:49 AM Reply   
How about some pictures? That would be good. Don't get me wrong I beleive you guys. But I have a buddy talking trash that he took his 19' prostar down there. My X-star is like a ocean liner compared to those older prostars. He thinks I have nothing to worry about.
Old     (kstateskier)      Join Date: May 2002       05-17-2004, 10:52 AM Reply   
The 10 U.S. bodies of water with the most boating accidents between 1997 and 2001:

1. Atlantic coast 953
2. Colorado River 726
3. Lake of the Ozarks 725
4. Gulf of Mexico 667
5. Lake Mead 519
6. Lake Powell 411
7. Pacific coast 355
8. Mississippi River 300
9. Lake Michigan 292
10. Lake Havasu 254

This picture will give you an idea of the size of some of the boats at the lake.

(Message edited by kstateskier on May 17, 2004)
Old     (jamie_lamar)      Join Date: Mar 2004       05-17-2004, 1:55 PM Reply   
It’s cool to party up that way, but if you’re looking to ride, you need to find a large cove down past the 38 mile marker. Our place is on the 50 and we only like to ride early in the morning and late evening. Way too many big boats racing and cursing up and down during the day to ride unless you’re just surfing.

As for the accidents… We see one or two good ones a year. Jacka$$ boaters with no common sense are found everywhere, usually drinking liquid stupidity to make things even better.

What weekend are you coming down?
Old     (dtb)      Join Date: May 2002       05-17-2004, 2:45 PM Reply   
everything you have read so far is true. but it can be done. our place is on the 45 mm and i have made it to party cove every holiday weekend for the past couple of years in an 18.5' I/O. you just have to be extremely careful pay attention. we did it last year in a supra launch too. there will be tons of idiots out there. this summer will be my first summer down there in my malibu, so if you make it down look for a tan and black wakesetter vlx. we'll get there early, but what we usually do is leave fairly early in the afternoon, before the majority of the people are leaving, then the traffic is not quite as bad getting out. the worst area is between the mouth of party cove and the no wake zone under grand glaize bridge. they need to just make that whole strech no wake. i usually just cruise closer to shore and take my time. hope the bu can do it like the little I/O did! by the way, the campgrounds in the state park are great and the ramp there doesn't get very busy. here's a pic of last 4th of july, that's us on the supra.

Old     (badzuki)      Join Date: Sep 2001       05-17-2004, 4:40 PM Reply   
Dtb - thanks thats input I was really looking for. That is a great pic too. Thanks for the tips. I am not sure if we will be in the blue/white 99 X-Star or a red/white 01 X-Star. Have to decide which to bring. I will let you all know which boat we are taking so you can come say high.(Maybe even have a beer for fellow WW'ers)

There has to be alot more pics out there then this!!!
Old     (kstateskier)      Join Date: May 2002       05-17-2004, 8:47 PM Reply   

Old    slalomskifreak            05-18-2004, 7:27 AM Reply   
Type in "party cove lake of the ozarks" in yahoo and you will get some pretty graphic sites. Have fun!!
Old     (kstateskier)      Join Date: May 2002       05-18-2004, 11:35 AM Reply   
If you do get down there, make sure you hit Topsider at the Grand Glaize bridge on Friday night and Shooters 21, at the 21mm on the Osage (main arm). Also, if you're staying in Osage Beach, the Filling Station about a mile down 54 from the Glaize bridge is a pretty cool hangout. More locals at the Filling Station.
Old     (jamie_lamar)      Join Date: Mar 2004       05-19-2004, 6:06 AM Reply   
If you’re local to the KC area, check out KMBZ channel 9 news at 10pm this Wednesday and or Thursday. They are going to do a story about party cove and how pic’s are showing up on that web page without anyone knowing. They showed a bit last night, too bad I couldn’t de-fuzz all the fuzzy parts they were blocking out or it could have been real enjoyable.
Old     (indemand12)      Join Date: Mar 2003       05-20-2004, 8:09 AM Reply   
dtb was that you in the yellow wakesetter last fourth of july I am the guy in the blue hat standing on the back of the supra launch in the picture you posted? If so are you guys going to be at the tournment and or the party cove on the weekend of the fourth???
Old     (indemand12)      Join Date: Mar 2003       05-20-2004, 8:11 AM Reply   
never mind nice d1 my bad just realized it was you
Old     (badzuki)      Join Date: Sep 2001       05-20-2004, 10:36 AM Reply   
Anybody that needs info on LOTO needs to go to midwestpartyboat.com EVERYTHING is there.
Old     (dtb)      Join Date: May 2002       05-26-2004, 10:39 AM Reply   
uh, mr. charley - i need to buy some balloons....