Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       08-09-2008, 10:37 AM Reply   
I'm wanting some new fins for my TWP COMP X 5.0 LTD ED.

I'm just looking for something different to play with. I have no real reason other than just wanting to try something else for fun to see how it changes the board and ride. I was thinking maybe of something that breaks free a little more.

Anyone have any ideas? Jeff? Dennis?

I believe they are the vector II's but I'm not sure.
Old     (dennish)      Join Date: May 2005       08-09-2008, 1:40 PM Reply   
you can if you want really loose get some 2 3/8" fins made by Turbo Tunnel that fit in the future boxes. Jeff can give you more insight into the Vector fins but I would think they are not as loose.
http://www.turbotunnel.com/catalog.asp?categoryid=19555
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       08-09-2008, 1:59 PM Reply   
Thanks Dennis I'll order those they look like they could make it a lot of fun. I'd still love some advice from Jeff too.
Old    surfdad            08-09-2008, 2:11 PM Reply   
Hey Hate N'

Dennis is right, the little 2 3/8 turbo side bites are very loose. Principally, that "loose" feeling you are talking about is the fins FAILING. Very few fins are built to fail. :-) The smaller the area and/or depth, the easier it is to get the fins to fail. The only other fin in that size range is the SB2's that are 3.25".

Another thing that I have found will work is to increase the cant of the fins - it REALLY changes the ride though.

If you have a pair of fins that you don't mind wasting. Clamp the base in a vise and then with a heat gun heat along the base until it gets to the point where you can bend the fin. A mild increase is from 3 degrees to 6 degrees. Bend it to 12 for an exceptionally weird feeling.

Another option is to heat the entire fin up and then bend it over a piece of 4" diameter tubing. You'll be a Futures Vector 3/2/1 foil. :-)

If you STILL want looser, you can always cut down an existing set of Futures fins. Make them any depth and length you want.

For the OTHER way, find a pair of Black Stixx and see what it's like to get increased drive.
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       08-09-2008, 3:02 PM Reply   
I'm totally down for more drive down the line, more explosive power. I just want to fiddle with it and try different stuff. I ordered the turbo tubes so now I want maybe something bigger that may help me boost better. Any links?

Thanks Jeff I know I can count on you.
Old    surfdad            08-09-2008, 3:57 PM Reply   
I swaer by the Surfboard Warehouse.

Scimitar is big, heavy and drive'y:

http://www.thesurfboardwarehouse.com/s-49-scimitar.aspx

If you can get the 321 in green hex - that's very close to the Scim's but lighter. It's scarcer than hen's teeth though.

The Black Stix's are interesting. Light and with a positive flex return AND super pricey. The Rusty 454's are fun.

http://www.thesurfboardwarehouse.com/p-40-future-fins-black-stix-all-models.aspx
Old     (dennish)      Join Date: May 2005       08-09-2008, 4:30 PM Reply   
Hate N
Do you also have a Comp X 4.5? If you do the small fins will allow you to do shuv's and ride revert eaisier then with the stock fins.
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       08-09-2008, 5:27 PM Reply   
Dennis, no just the 5.0 but I'm fiddling around with shaping some boards with a couple buddy's (one who has some skills) and want to build one that is is the 4'6" range. I wanna stay with the future fins so they can be easily swapped out.

Thanks guys I have a buddy working on getting me a deal on the black stix and I will order the scmitar if you think they'll be a noticable difference over the current fins.
Old     (smedman)      Join Date: Feb 2006       08-09-2008, 7:16 PM Reply   
Jeff your mention of putting the fins in a vice and modifying made me smile. I actually ground down some quad trailers 340s yesterday to test out. Took about an inch off them... I'll post up pics soon. Definitely loosened the board up a bunch, but I'll be taking them down even more....
Old    surfdad            08-09-2008, 8:19 PM Reply   
Cool Matt. I'm looking forward to the pics. Have you tried bending the rail fins out? The Futures have that standard 3 degree cant, if you want to change that - say to 6 degrees rather than messing with the box install, heating the fin up with a heat gun and bending does the trick. Plus, by bending it over a curved surface you can make any fin into a vector fin. :-)
Old    surfdad            08-09-2008, 8:23 PM Reply   
Hate N, I love the Scimitar's. James rides them exclusively.

Upload
Old     (andy13)      Join Date: Apr 2007       08-09-2008, 9:19 PM Reply   
^^^holy shiat thats badass
Old    lakeside5_10            08-11-2008, 4:48 AM Reply   
my new 4.8 fish rides the best with them , as a quad
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       08-11-2008, 9:15 AM Reply   
That is just unbelievable air I love watching James surf. I've seen the TWP vid and some old stuff on you tube. Are there any other vids of him any where?
Old    surfdad            08-11-2008, 9:58 AM Reply   
Hey Hate N, we don't have a decent video camera, there have been a number of folks that have videoed James and I believe there will be video on the Wakesurf Magazine website when James is featured on the cover. I think that Mike at TWP will be releasing a new vid that will have some of James' riding.