Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through July 28, 2004

Old    jeebus            07-21-2004, 9:04 PM Reply   
Yesterday I went out on my friends Malibu and tried wakeboarding for the first time. I got up first try and rode around for 5 min and tried ollieing (fell). Next I went in and out of the wake and tried jumping it and fell. Lastly I landed a w2w jump and then another one with a method. Everyone said I was a natural. I didn't even expect to get up. Anyways, I need to get my own board and start riding. My boat doesn't make a very big wake and I am a little confused about what board with what rocker I should get. Binding advice would be good as well. I am looking for anything hyperlight. I am 6'2 170lbs.

(Message edited by jeebus on July 21, 2004)
Old    wakechick            07-22-2004, 6:44 AM Reply   
Why does it have to be just Hyperlite? Why not check into other companies like Liquid Force, CWB, DoubleUP, etc.?

I'm not up to par with some of the other companies' boards, but Liquid Force makes some great product. The Substance 142 is a great board. It's a 3-stage rocker which will allow you to get explosive pop off the wake. It's got molded side fins and a long center fin (that you can remove if you want a loose board).

You could also check out the Team 143 which is a continuous rocker board and will have a more consistent pop off the wake. It's got side cupped fins which really help to grab when you are on edge, and a removable center fin if you want a looser feel.

As for bindings, the Transits and Alphas are the two top-end bindings that LF offers and are both awesome. They are easy to get in and out of and are super comfortable. The transits have all the bells and whistles and can be adjusted to fit your stance to the "T." The Alphas are a little less busy that the Transits and are the best binding (in my opinion) for the price. If you want just a simple binding to slip in and out of, the LF Ultras are perfect.

Those are just a few products from Liquid Force you might want to check out. Hyperlite makes some good product as well, but why not check all of your options first?
Old     (mango)      Join Date: Mar 2004       07-22-2004, 6:58 AM Reply   
what board did your friend have that you rode?
Old    jeebus            07-22-2004, 9:52 AM Reply   
I have been looking around because I do like to check all my options, but most of the opinions I have gathered said Hyperlite is top notch. I am not shure what his board is but it is all red on the bottom and has the face of a chinese dragon on it. I know that it is A hyperlite and it has '03 Parks bindings.
Old    absolutofft            07-22-2004, 9:55 AM Reply   
hyperlite offers the best warranty
Old    r_dub            07-22-2004, 9:57 AM Reply   
Sounds like it was a 2002 Premier 140. You sure it was a dragon and not just a painted face?
Old    r_dub            07-22-2004, 9:59 AM Reply   
Was this it?
Prem140
Old    jeebus            07-22-2004, 10:12 AM Reply   
Yes I just found out that it is a premier.
Old    r_dub            07-22-2004, 10:24 AM Reply   
I personally think that is a pretty decent board. I havent ridden the 04, but I have ridden the 02 and 03.
You obviously felt comfortable on that board if it was your first time and you did as well as you did. So if you wanted something similiar, but not the exact board, you have a couple of options. You could go with the Hyperlite 04 Era or with the 03/04 Gator Gonzalez. The Gator is what Im riding now, and I love it. But they are all basically the same design. But the Gator will be cheaper and you will be supporting a young, up and coming rider owned company instead of the corporate giant. I have personally delt with one of sales managers at Gator, and I can vouch that the company is run by super cool guys.
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       07-22-2004, 10:39 AM Reply   

quote:

hyperlite offers the best warranty

because their shizz break the most!

hahaha!!! just kidding...i couldn't resist!
Old     (mango)      Join Date: Mar 2004       07-22-2004, 10:46 AM Reply   
That's cool you rode that board for the first time and got up. The premier is not really a beginner board so if you want to get a intermediate board and you felt comfortable on that I would stick to the premier. If you like the Parks bindings i would stick to them as well. I'm sure you could find someone with a used Premier from that year they are all over. You might even like the 2005 Ricky G that comes out in September
Old    r_dub            07-22-2004, 10:47 AM Reply   
Oh, I didnt realize how tall you were. You might want to wait for the 05 Gator Gonz, because it will be available in a larger size. But, I have no idea if it's still similiar to the premier shape anymore.
Old    jeebus            07-22-2004, 11:35 AM Reply   
So you guys suggest something with a three stage or a subtle three stage as opposed to a continuous? I was looking at the '04 Motive/split package. Does that seem decent to anyone?
Old     (hymaeringo)      Join Date: Jul 2004       07-22-2004, 11:42 AM Reply   
no. get the era if you like the premier and are gonna progress real fast into the intermediate stage. I think the era is better suited to you if you are going to progress at a quicker rate than avg. the motive is meant for entire family to be able to use one board and it be forgiving and stable.
Old    r_dub            07-22-2004, 11:49 AM Reply   
Never ridden the Motive, but I have heard it's a decent board. As for 3 stage or continuous, its all about your preference. And when your a beginner, I dont really think you can tell the difference. But I think continous is probably a little better for beginners. But once you get pretty decent, you may realize you want a more aggresive board. Your best bet, if you cant demo any, is to ride your buddy's a few more times and see if you really like it. Maybe you will find that you are just fine on a suble 3 stage.
Old    r_dub            07-22-2004, 11:50 AM Reply   
Just dont go out and buy a Parks!
Old    jeebus            07-22-2004, 12:15 PM Reply   
Thanx guys. I read the reviews of the splits and do they seem ok. I know they aren't high end bindings but I didn't just rob the bank. Lastly, what length board should I go with? Thanks for all the help guys.

(Message edited by jeebus on July 22, 2004)
Old    r_dub            07-22-2004, 12:21 PM Reply   
One thing you might want to do is, check out the classifieds. Especially for bindings, because people always order the wrong size, or they are just to impatient to wait for them to break in. So sometimes you can find some hardly used higher end bindings for cheap. I just recently bought a some Collective Development PS01's for $90, because they were to small for the guy and they look completely brand new.
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       07-22-2004, 12:36 PM Reply   
The Motive is a great board. Check out my profile pic. Even though you said it was a Premiere you rode, your desciption actually fits the Motive to a tee. Red on top with dragon on the bottom, as you can see in my profile.

I've got 4 Motives (some are actually older Belmonts, which are really Motives). I just picked up a "new" Sobe graphic 140 Motive (eBay $138) for riding behind the boat. The others I use at the cable. The ramps/sliders require frequent board replacement, although the Motive is holding up well.

I actually switched from the Premiere to the Motive, because it felt less clunky, edged better, yet at the same time would surface slide easier. My riding style is bias toward the Cable so YMMV.
Old    jeebus            07-22-2004, 12:40 PM Reply   
I am definately shure that it is a premier.
Old    jeebus            07-22-2004, 5:45 PM Reply   
What length board will be good? I don't want to go to0 big or too small.