Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through July 24, 2008

Old     (nautiquerider27)      Join Date: Aug 2005       07-13-2008, 9:50 PM Reply   
I know, I know, another powerturn thread, but I just have to vent on this subject. My dad just doesn't get it when it comes to turning around to pick up a rider after falling. He powerturns it every time and it pisses off people on the lake who have nicer boats than us. I try to tell him and explain powerturns but he still continues to ignore my advice. The other day some guy in a wakesetter came over to us and asked us not to powerturn because he was trying to ride at the same time. On our small lake, powerturns throw rollers across the whole lake, and even though our boat is not good for wakeboarding I still try to throw down and I am often better than people in their classy boats who get mad. Even an older couple on our lake with a ski nautique don't powerturn when they tow their grandkids skiing. It just annoys me that I cannot get through to my dad.
Old     (wakerpunk)      Join Date: Jan 2006       07-13-2008, 9:55 PM Reply   
Dude thats total buzzkill brah. What I would do is print out anti power turn flyers and post them all over public areas at the lake. You know some here some there. Maybe like 5 or 6 at the state launch. Sneak one in ur boat over the steering wheel. And keep a positive attitude towards your pops, he drives for you alot. If you piss off the captain than you probably would be able to throw down a total steeze fest beheind the 05 "sea swirl" SV211 nautique
Old     (wakerpunk)      Join Date: Jan 2006       07-13-2008, 10:05 PM Reply   
BUMP
Old     (jtnz)      Join Date: Sep 2007       07-13-2008, 10:12 PM Reply   
I tried to tell my Dad about not powerturning too, he ignored me, so I let him do his thing. It's his boat after all, he doesn't want me whinging on at him if he hasn't listened the first time, he wants to have fun too. He doesn't drive that much since he is usually too busy to come out as often as we do.

I have convinced my flatmate to stop doing them though, he usually jumps behind the wheel before anyone else has half a chance, always keen as to pilot the 350. He does a pretty good job too.

So yeah, be nice to your old man. Maybe throw him over the side and drive him a set, see what he thinks and whether you can convince him to change his ways when he sees the differences for himself.
Old     (wesley_is_wake)      Join Date: Jun 2007       07-13-2008, 11:33 PM Reply   
Well, we can't expect everyone out there not to powerturn all the time. I usually assume people don't know what they're doing. In other words, lower you're standards. my dad has a powerturning problem. It's super annoying but what do you do? It's not like I should be ungrateful to my dad who:

1.Makes time to take me out on the water,
2.Pays for gas,
3.drives for me when i want to.
Old     (srh00z)      Join Date: Jun 2003       07-13-2008, 11:38 PM Reply   
Tell him he is burning up a lot of gas doing that. We don't have to deal with powerturners much, but when we do it is pretty annoying. Maybe, calmly discuss the proper method of picking up a rider or show him this thread. When the rider falls, ease off the throttle, let the roller that your deceleration causes pass the stern of the boat, turn slightly to the left or right and then idle back the opposite direction that you just turned the wheel and pick up your rider. If done properly, there are minimal rollers. It is better for other boats, but it is probably also a better experience for those in your boat. Nobody likes to bounce around or dip the bow from rollers that you created.
Old     (96formula)      Join Date: Apr 2007       07-14-2008, 7:21 AM Reply   
My dad was a competition slalom skier back in the 80s and it took him a while to shake the habit of powerturning. I guess it was ok to do back in the days of direct drive tournament ski boats that had no wake.
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       07-14-2008, 7:27 AM Reply   
You guys just need to be thankful he is out there with you letting you do something you love. Its his boat. Let him powerturn it if he wants. At the end of the day, its really not worth getting bent out of shape about. Just have fun.
Old     (helix_rider)      Join Date: Mar 2003       07-14-2008, 8:31 AM Reply   
Somebody needs to make an quick vid 'you tube style' that shows what a powerturn does to a lake, and the proper way to pick up a fallen rider. Then you just send the pops a link, and if the video looks professional, maybe he'll think twice about being 'that guy'.
Old     (wakeriderixi)      Join Date: Jan 2004       07-14-2008, 8:40 AM Reply   
He doesn't sound ungreatful. He simply wants to get through to his father and explain the logic in not powerturning. If anything he is greatful and showing this to his boat, and the boats of others, by attempting to teach his father the correct way.

At the beginning I was going to recommend you show him this thread but after seeing that half responses are telling you simply 'suck it up' I'm not sure.
Old     (tobs2)      Join Date: Apr 2006       07-14-2008, 8:43 AM Reply   
Well hey there Jeff I live on the Delta, CA and ride alot and see it all!! People going the wrong way down the channel or slough, powerturning and worse so I feel your pain, My theory is that more people need to get lessons on boating 101, or take classes before they every get behind the wheel, it is way to easy for anyone to just buy a boat and not know anything about it, the same type of crazyness happens every day I am dropping my boat in and pulling it out when people do not have much idea how to do that........As far as power turns go the best way to approach it is to first tell them nicely and then if that does not work tell them not so nicely.......all mentioned here is true on what they do.......there is almost zero reasons for power turns outside of the downed rider being in bad trouble or at extreme risk for some reason.........the problem I have seen is people not knowing but more so boat driver that are used to pulling water skiers and think that is what they are supposed to do or have learned from others......... POWER TURNING - = water never calming down, larger wakes sent back at your downed rider and others riding near you and across lake etc, worse gas milage, more danger for your rider and less control of boat, much much larger chance to run over own rope, and just overall dis-respect for other people trying to enjoy good water like you may be..... T.
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       07-14-2008, 8:46 AM Reply   
I didn't mean to sound like I though he was being ungreatful, just that there are a lot of other things to worry about than that. It sounds like his dad doesn't care and probably won't change his mind.
Old     (wakeriderixi)      Join Date: Jan 2004       07-14-2008, 8:52 AM Reply   
No bash on you psudy
Old     (wakerpunk)      Join Date: Jan 2006       07-14-2008, 9:30 AM Reply   
yo these power turn threads are old and annoying. It's really not worth making a thread over. Perhaps jeff was being sarcastic, his dad dosent even drive the boat and no one has a better boat than jeff.
Old     (wakeriderixi)      Join Date: Jan 2004       07-14-2008, 9:50 AM Reply   
I'm more partial to your baot wakerpunk.
Old     (clubjoe)      Join Date: Sep 2005       07-14-2008, 10:29 AM Reply   
Find another driver so your dad can "just hang out and relax", and tell the wakesetter guy to go F himself...... Then break out the tube.

Well, maybe not cuz I'm sure he owns the whole lake and has an actual right to approach you......

There's no bootn' family outta the boat even when you really want to..... good luck with that, cuz you have no real options.

Maybe when you're at home tell him -YOU- are getting hassled because you're jackin' the water up for everyone else when powerturning?
Old     (powercorps)      Join Date: Nov 2006       07-14-2008, 10:50 AM Reply   
never realized that was a problem... I dont think i ever did it but i will be more concious about it. Not many riders at my lake to get in the way i guess....or them get in mine for that matter
Old     (wakemandan)      Join Date: Feb 2003       07-14-2008, 3:12 PM Reply   
Power turners also don't get front row seats to the show. You wont see me trying to 'bust a move' when you've got my wake all messed up.

Also, it sucks as a rider to catch up to your driver's rollers every time you get picked up.