Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (juzi74)      Join Date: Jan 2014       01-27-2014, 2:37 AM Reply   
Hi, new to this forum. We bought a Svfara SV3 2008 about 6 months ago and are experimenting with the ballast system. Just wondering if anyone here has had any experience with this boat before ? We just can't seem to get the wave perfect enough to let go of the rope and surf freely. We are filling the bow and port , and also a fatsac in the same side locker.
The prop we seem to have now struggles to get out when fully loaded and with people on the corner, but we're going to change props to the Acme 2315 soon.
If anyone has some advise it would be much appreciated.
We're from Brisbane , Australia, so unfortunately there aren't to many people with these boats here.
Thanks
Old     (tyler97217)      Join Date: Aug 2004       01-27-2014, 8:06 AM Reply   
You will not find a whole lot of people with experience behind this boat. They were mainly a Canadian boat and not many out there. Who knows, maybe you will get lucky and find someone that has experience with it. I am sure if you just keep throwing weight at it and move all your passengers to that side and then adjust speeds, you will get a wave out of it. That is the case with most any inboard I have seen anyway. Good luck you you!!
Old     (wakeskier)      Join Date: Aug 2003       01-31-2014, 12:39 PM Reply   
I used to have a Svfara SV609, but I don't have any experience with the SV3.
However it looks like it's certainly possible to get a surfable wave out of:

maybe try ditching the weight in the bow?
Old     (bftskir)      Join Date: Jan 2004       01-31-2014, 1:25 PM Reply   
Nice black scorpion on the sunpad very cool.
Old     (chevboy171)      Join Date: Feb 2005       02-04-2014, 9:53 PM Reply   
Holy crap, another Svfara owner! I thought I was the only one. I have an '05 SV696 which I think is the same hull as the SV3, not 100% sure on that though. Mine has factory ballast with bow, stern, port and starboard tanks @ about 300# each. I usually just run the stern and whatever side the rider's on when surfing. If everyone shifts to the rider's side of the boat as well, the surf wake is pretty solid. It seams to be dialed in about perfect with the cruise set at 10.3mph.

That said, my boat is the only boat I've ever surfed behind so I don't really have anything else to compare to. The guy I bought it from bought it brand new especially for the surf wake though. There's been several people who've learned to surf behind my boat and they usually are able to drop the rope and eventually carve pretty good behind it.
Old     (juzi74)      Join Date: Jan 2014       02-07-2014, 10:06 PM Reply   
Thanks chevboy171. We'll just try the rear and side ballast. We've been running with the bow as well, this might be the problem. Get our new prop soon so hopefully that'll help also. Great to see someone else with a Svfara. We love this boat. Has everything we need, and got it for such a great price
Old     (FastR3DN3K)      Join Date: Jun 2013 Location: Midlothian TX       02-08-2014, 8:33 AM Reply   
While I know absolutely nothing about a Svfara, the weighting plan will be pretty basic for most boats with factory ballast. The more weight you put in the rear the more height you get, and the more weight in the front the longer it will be. Generally I would suggest running 100% full in both surf side front and rear ballasts, and then if you want a bit longer add some weight to the off side front ballast. If you want it a bit taller, adjust your plate (if you have one), or reduce weight in the surf side nose to get more push down out of the back of the boat, or add a fat sac to the rear locker/side locker. There's such a small market on those boats that you're not really gonna find much more useful info than that around here. Your best bet is try and find a Svfara owners forum and ask there.
Old     (FastR3DN3K)      Join Date: Jun 2013 Location: Midlothian TX       02-08-2014, 8:42 AM Reply   
After doing some research, it looks like they were bought up by Campion. You may try to contact them directly and see if they have anyone on staff that may know about weighting the Svfaras.
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       02-08-2014, 6:46 PM Reply   
Looks Campion owns the SV3 molds and may still be building them.

http://www.campionboats.com/boats/?cat=svfara
Old     (rallyart)      Join Date: Nov 2006       02-09-2014, 1:09 AM Reply   
There is a dealer near Calgary with a 2013 SV3 listed for over $90,000 CDN. That might be a little high but they apparently are not gone yet.
Old     (phathom)      Join Date: Jun 2013       02-09-2014, 1:00 PM Reply   
1: I have never heard of that boat before.
2: You can weight just about anything with enough freeboard, to be able to surf.
3: I would say for now, ditch your bow weight and focus more on the side you are trying to surf on. Throw a 750 or 1100 if you can into the surf side locker, if you need to, double stack bags. Throw one on the seat on that side as well if it comes to that. Do not worry about putting weight in the non surf side for now.
When you get a baseline of a consistently surfable wave that you can throw the rope with, then start trying to fine tune it for length. When you make changes to do this, only change one thing at a time for a couple pulls and a couple of riders. See how each plays out.
4: If you have a removable type swim platform, observe it when weighted and see if it is interfering with the surf wave by digging into. If it is, look at getting or making one that won't. This helps A LOT.
5: Have fun. It can be frustrating trying to get a good surf wave, but is a blast when you get it. Just keep at it and eventually you will have a tuned surf wave you can be proud of.
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       02-09-2014, 1:19 PM Reply   
I remember people saying their fit and finish was top notch although I have never seen one in person.
Old     (MICAH_HARPER)      Join Date: Apr 2010       02-09-2014, 5:05 PM Reply   
I remember about 4-5 yrs ago they had these at the Dallas Boat show. I crawked all round on these bad boys. I loved the way they lookrd and where made . As far as wieghting them for surfing. The best thing to do is barrow some fat sacks from some friends take a whole day and play around with the setups till u get it perfect and then spend the money on whst you need.

We need pics of this boat i would really like to see it. Like i said i always lijed the look
Old     (Teamcanada)      Join Date: Apr 2013       02-10-2014, 8:40 AM Reply   
There is an sv3 at our lake. 2008 I believe. It is very well built as campion is a very good quality manufacturer. The running gear on the svfara needs work as they have not made many and have some kinks to work out. I have surfed behind it with stock ballast only and it was not too bad.