Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (saberworks)      Join Date: Sep 2010       08-29-2011, 6:44 PM Reply   
I am going to replace my distributer cap & rotor and there is what looks like a place to hook up a hose on the side of it. But there's no hose hooked up to it and I can't find any laying around. It's a mercruiser 5.7 black scorpion. Any ideas?

Here's the parts diagram:

http://www.mercruiserparts.com/Show_...ion+Components

And a picture of the cap showing where my hose thing should hook in:

http://www.mercruiserparts.com/showS...sp?pn=805759T1

But the one in the picture doesn't show an actual hose fitting thing like mine has.
Old     (pete8218)      Join Date: Sep 2006       08-29-2011, 6:54 PM Reply   
The hose barb is actually just a vent on the cap to let out moisture. No need to look for a hose to hook to it.
Old     (Brendon444)      Join Date: Jul 2011       08-30-2011, 4:46 AM Reply   
on my sanger i have no hose either i thought the same thing about putting a short one on.
Old     (dave27)      Join Date: May 2005       08-30-2011, 1:05 PM Reply   
I agree, its a vent!
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       08-30-2011, 2:01 PM Reply   
vacuum advance anyone????
Old     (jtnz)      Join Date: Sep 2007       08-30-2011, 2:05 PM Reply   
+1 Vacuum Advance
Old     (baitkiller)      Join Date: Jan 2010       08-30-2011, 3:26 PM Reply   
Its a vent. Mercruiser hasn't had vac advance since Jesus left Chicago.

Warning! If you grab the roter between your first and third finger and try to pull it off please have a first aid kit handy. The roter will break and cut the Shizatt out of your hand. Use tools.
Old     (dave27)      Join Date: May 2005       08-30-2011, 7:27 PM Reply   
Boats don't have a vacuum advance for some reason. I wish I could remeber why? I believe I am correct. If I am not some one will chime in.
Old     (saberworks)      Join Date: Sep 2010       08-30-2011, 8:15 PM Reply   
So what's the procedure for removing the rotor? I tugged on it and it seems stuck. I didn't pull really hard because usually when I force something I regret it. I couldn't find any set screw or anything else. The parts diagram show it separate from the shaft so there's gotta be a way to get it off.

It's also odd that the hose thing is a vent because the bottom piece, where the cap hooks to, has holes in it that look like they'd let any moisture out. *shrug*
Old     (baitkiller)      Join Date: Jan 2010       08-31-2011, 4:43 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by saberworks View Post
So what's the procedure for removing the rotor? I tugged on it and it seems stuck. I didn't pull really hard because usually when I force something I regret it. I couldn't find any set screw or anything else. The parts diagram show it separate from the shaft so there's gotta be a way to get it off.

It's also odd that the hose thing is a vent because the bottom piece, where the cap hooks to, has holes in it that look like they'd let any moisture out. *shrug*
Like i said above, if you pull real hard it will break in your hand with bloody results.

This is normal, they always stick.

If you have room use two screwdrivers like pulling an impeller.
With limited room put an open end wrench just larger than the shaft under it and lever off the roter.
With no room, cover the distributor body with a towel to catch pieces and crack / crush the roter with some large vise grips. Once it cracks it will pop right off.
The wrench under it will normally pop it right off. If it wont budge, bust it off, you are changing it anyway.
Old     (67King)      Join Date: Feb 2011       08-31-2011, 5:38 AM Reply   
Vacuum canisters for advance are usually under the distributor cap, as it rotates the rotar assembly relative to the cap. But they've also been defunct at least in automotive since the early 80's.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       08-31-2011, 7:31 AM Reply   
yea, I should've followed up with "it might as well be a vent" cuz vac advance has been dead for a long time.... didn't see a year model for OP's boat tho.

Take the hold down clip off the distributor where it goes into the block. How difficult it is getting it off depends on how long its been sitting there. Not sure on Mercs, my housing is metal. Rotor is removed once you have the distributor out of the block.
Old     (saberworks)      Join Date: Sep 2010       08-31-2011, 8:00 AM Reply   
It's a 2004 sanger v210 with fuel injection if that matters. Thanks for the help, I appreciate it.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       08-31-2011, 8:03 AM Reply   
NP. Mark where your rotor is relative to the block. Also mark where cylinder 1 is on the dizzy. Makes getting it back in timing a helluva lot easier..... have fun.