Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through May 08, 2008

Old     (eric_ms)      Join Date: Apr 2007       04-21-2008, 6:31 AM Reply   
Ok so I took my 92 Nautique excel out for it’s 1st run since last season and everything ran great but my speedometers. Neither one are working. I was having a little trouble with them at the end of last season but now they just won’t work. How do speedometers work? How do I go about checking them? Help………..
Old     (dh03r6)      Join Date: Mar 2007       04-21-2008, 6:58 AM Reply   
unplug them from the gauge and blow a small amount of air in them
Old     (olskooltige)      Join Date: Mar 2007       04-21-2008, 7:13 AM Reply   
If they are airguide style, they are a simple pitot tube system. There will be a tube going into the rear of the speedo. This tube will travel down the length of the boat to a bourdon tube (most likely mounted to the transom wall, you may not have one). From the bourdon tube, the hose continues to the transom and out the back to the pickup, which is nothing more than a rigid tube angled for water pickup. There are several spots along the tube where mold/mildew/debris can clog the system, but the most common are near the extremities of the tubing. More than likely, you have debris in the pickup. A good method to remove it is to use a small tool, like a drill bit, to reach in and pick it clean. On the instrument side, you can clean it in a similar fashion. I keep a drill bit on a cork in my tools to remove debris while on the water. You can blow into the hose, but this will not likely loosen the debris. Picking it clean works most of the time. If the hose is so bad it needs replacing, skidim.com carries the hose and it is very cheap.

(Message edited by olSkoolTige on April 21, 2008)
Old     (olskooltige)      Join Date: Mar 2007       04-21-2008, 7:16 AM Reply   
Here is a pic of a common bourdon tube on the airguide style speedos. This came from www.tigeowners.com.

Upload
Old     (bremsen)      Join Date: Aug 2005       04-21-2008, 7:25 AM Reply   
Clean out the pitots on the transom. They most likely have some dirt or other debris lodged in them. I find that most times you don't need to use air as you can see what is clogging the pitots. If necessary, you can use compressed air from the speedos back, but do not blow air from the pitots forward, you can damage the gauges.

FWIG, the speedos work on air pressure. The pitots on the transom pick up water and that pressurizes the air in the tubes.
Old     (eric_ms)      Join Date: Apr 2007       04-21-2008, 7:32 AM Reply   
thanks guys. Steve mine does have the bourdon tubes. I will try and clean them all out and see what the does. thanks again guys.
Old     (eric_ms)      Join Date: Apr 2007       04-21-2008, 8:03 AM Reply   
Also . where can I get new gauges that look like the old ones I have? I have looked all over and can't find any that are ski gauges
Old     (olskooltige)      Join Date: Mar 2007       04-21-2008, 9:20 AM Reply   
Usually it is best to just find a replacement set and start switching them over to newer ones. I looked and could not find anything in a condition I wanted to move to, so I went to a newer gauge set from Faria. Instrument changes are extremely easy if you stay with the same overall style.