Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (ndavis03)      Join Date: Jul 2006       12-11-2006, 11:27 AM Reply   
I want to start wakesurfing next summer, but do not know what boards would be good. I will mostly be surfing behind a 2001 SangAir that has 400 pounds of rear factory ballast, along with a 400 pound fly high sac. I will also occasionally ride behind a B-52 with 1600 pounds of ballast and my 400 pound fly high sac. I tend to progress fairly quickly, and don't want to buy a wakesurfer and be over it in a season. Any recommendations would help.
Old     (ndavis03)      Join Date: Jul 2006       12-11-2006, 11:29 AM Reply   
Also, does anyone know if wakesurfers fit in skylon wakeboard racks?
Old    surfdad            12-11-2006, 5:47 PM Reply   
Nick you need to give us more info on your weight and height. If you weigh 300 pounds, teh recommendation will be different than if you weigh 80 pounds. :-) As for your second question, some do and some don't. 5/8" and 3/4" skim style boards and most molded boards will fit in a rack. 2 - 3" thick surf style boards won't.
Old     (ndavis03)      Join Date: Jul 2006       12-11-2006, 9:35 PM Reply   
Sorry about that Jeff. I weight about 165-170 pounds and I am 5'9". Ideally, I am looking for a board that will also fit in my wakeboard racks.
Old    surfdad            12-12-2006, 4:49 AM Reply   
I do appreciate the storage issue. Filtering the available boards for your size down to those that will fit in a standard rack will make your choices easier. Virtually all of the skimstyle boards will fit. So Calibrated (several models), Phase 5 Prop, the new 4skim from Inland and Trick Boardz (several models also) all will fit you and the rack. I hear rumors of the 4skim being out there but, I'm not sure if it's truly available at this point. Calibrated isn't selling yet either, but they will have both a skim style and surf style that will be suitable. Larry at Trick Boardz is converting all of his boards from wood to fiberglass and no doubt will have some weight rating changes when finalized. SO, the bottomline there is that only the Phase 5 is currently available at retail. If you can wait a bit, you'll have more offerings to choose from.

In the more surfstyle or hybrid arena, the Inland Yellow and the 3/4" Walzers will fit, but both will be snug in the rack. I own a Walzer and really like the way it rides, but getting one is a serious problem. I have a few emails telling me that they simply can't get in touch with Sean Ward or anyone at the Walzer factory.

The folks from Inland are very customer oriented and exceptionally supportive of the sport. Getting an Inland Yellow is usually as easy as going to your local pro shop, but you can get them direct from the factory also.

I am NOT a big fan of the modeled offerings from the big manufacturers, but virtually all will fit in a rack. If you progress quickly, IMO you'lloutgrow one of the molded offerings pretty quickly.

To recap - if you can wait, it would be in your best interest to do so, the choices available to you will be much greater as the season approaches. If you want one now, Phase 5 Prop or Inland Yellow are your safest and easiest bets IMO. Molded "junk" if you have no other choice. :-)
Old     (stusumm)      Join Date: Sep 2002       12-12-2006, 6:37 AM Reply   
Jeff - I just spoke with Sean Walzer last week. He won't answer the phone but will call you back if you leave a message. My pintail should be here this week
Old     (caskimmer)      Join Date: Apr 2006       12-12-2006, 6:47 AM Reply   
Sorry, my computer's was down for the last 2 weeks (fried motherboard) and I've been having to do all my work on friend's machines.

I'll be getting back to everyone who emailed me within the next 24 hours or so. (Stuart, your board should be arriving today or tomorrow)
Old     (stusumm)      Join Date: Sep 2002       12-12-2006, 7:53 AM Reply   
Cool....Thanks
Old     (ndavis03)      Join Date: Jul 2006       12-12-2006, 8:21 AM Reply   
Jeff-Thanks for all of the info. I am not in a huge hurry to get a board. I was thinking about getting one for Christmas. If I can find a good deal on a used one, then I would be willing to go that route. But, if I cannot find anything, then I will wait till the season approaches. Do you know of any deals on used boards?
Old    surfdad            12-12-2006, 9:17 AM Reply   
No, I really don't.