Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through May 08, 2008

Old     (fulltilt429)      Join Date: Apr 2007       04-16-2008, 5:14 PM Reply   
Hey all, Im a mechanic for Ford, and a buddy asked me to help him service his boat this weekend so of course i told him i would (its the least I could do, since i always ride his boat),

anyways my co-worker has a sanger and said its pretty easy to do the impeller, oil change, etc., I was just wondering if anyone had any tips or manuals they could .pdf me.

Any help is appreciated were doing fuel filter, plugs, car and rotor as well. Oh ... and v-drive fluid change is that necessary and/or how is that done as well? Thanks Guys !
Old     (fulltilt429)      Join Date: Apr 2007       04-16-2008, 5:19 PM Reply   
Guess I should tell ya what year... its an 04, and I believe its the mag motor... what else should we check as routine maint, while were there.
Old     (masonwakerider)      Join Date: May 2003       04-17-2008, 9:18 AM Reply   
the impeller is not that hard to change. Just locate the water pump, remove the belt. Remove the entire pump. You might have to move the fuel cooler on some mercs. Once you have pump on your work bench, use two screwdrivers to pry it out (or an impeller puller if you have one0. Before installing the new one lube it up with an oil (i've used baby oil, vegy oil, ect) Align the key on the shaft and twist the impeller as you puch it in to make the fins bend over. Put on your new o-ring and through it back on the boat. I'm not sure on the v-drive, if the fluid looks good your probaly fine i think it is 30w engine oil in that boat.
Old     (elc)      Join Date: Jan 2008       04-17-2008, 9:36 AM Reply   
jimmy, I have an 05 elite v. I changed the oil and the impeller a couple weeks ago. The oil change easy. This is what I did:
buy an oil extractor, I bought one for $20 at basspro shop. it takes about 15 minutes to get the oil out. I got the oil filter from NAPA - search this website, you will be able to find the part number.

I plan on using the extractor on the vdrive fluid also. Just haven't got around to it.

The impellers on the merc v-drives are a little difficult to get to. It took me a couple hours because it was the first time replacing it. Now that I know what I am doing it will take about 45 minutes.

-Took the serpentine belt off
-loosened the fuel filter bracket
-Took the entire impeller pump off the engine (its much easier than trying to get the impeller out in the boat)
Once its off it may take a few minutes to maneuver the pump around the fuel filter bracket.
Take the pump to a work bench and undo the housing and replace the impeller. Make sure to put the impeller back in where the spines are bending the same direction as the were.

This is what I used as a guide to change the impeller. Its not exactly the same as my setup but close enough to help quite a bit.

http://www.tigeowners.com/impeller.shtml
Old     (fulltilt429)      Join Date: Apr 2007       04-20-2008, 6:23 AM Reply   
Well, we got it done, and ur right what a job...

The impeller took about 3 hrs., but Ed advice really helped. moving that fuel block worked great.

A good tip a buddy of mine gave me was he said to use a zip tie to get the impeller fins inthe housing, that helped a ton.

Than we changed oil, fuel filter, and oil filter, spark plugs (which was pretty easy, except #3 cylinder because of the exhaust downtube).

So if anyone in the Delta Area needs a hand with maintence and is scared to do it themselves dont be. save the money and PM me ill help ya in exchange for some pulls...lol. thx again guys.