Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through February 21, 2008

Old     (duffmangt)      Join Date: Jan 2008       01-13-2008, 10:07 AM Reply   
Has anyone demo'ed one? Its the boat thats on the top of my list to buy right now. So much so that at the upcoming fort worth and dallas boat shows I'm going to put a deposit on one unless someone can point me away from it. I've read up on it quite a bit, and ive been to the dealer a couple of times. After the boat show i can go out and ride it a couple of times.

My list is as follows:
XLV GG edition - 08
Supra 21v - 07
Malibu vRide - 07/08

The moomba is going to cost me 57 out the door with no down payment. Anyone out there tell me a reason not to get it?
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       01-13-2008, 10:08 AM Reply   
That's pretty steep for that boat. You sure you don't want a slightly used one and save yourself well over 10K.
Old     (shon_g)      Join Date: Apr 2007       01-13-2008, 10:29 AM Reply   
I love my XLV!! Great boat with lots of room. Mine is a 05' and the wake is great. They changed the haul slightly to make it better for 08'.

I say get the XLV you wont be sorry!!
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       01-13-2008, 10:39 AM Reply   
I've gone behind one and the stock wake is great, we didn't run extra ballast but even w/o it was still ride-able
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       01-13-2008, 10:39 AM Reply   
I've gone behind one and the stock wake is great, we didn't run extra ballast but even w/o it was still ride-able
Old     (duffmangt)      Join Date: Jan 2008       01-13-2008, 11:54 AM Reply   
The reason i want the 08 is because of the new hull design. Otherwise i would definitely look into an 07
Old     (kana12)      Join Date: Jan 2008       01-13-2008, 12:18 PM Reply   
so are supra and moomba the same exact boat just with different options ????? same hull and everything ?
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       01-13-2008, 12:20 PM Reply   
Kyle,

You have to think about resale value, unless you plan to keep the boat forever. Buying that boat for 57K will net you a great loss. Check on some of the sites selling boats and see what used ones are going for. I think a supra or malibu from your list would be a better choice if you're shelling out that kind of coin. If you're set on the XLV I'd try to work a better deal.
Old     (ripr)      Join Date: Mar 2002       01-13-2008, 1:59 PM Reply   
The new XLV is sweet, especially the GG edition.

That being said, if I was going to drop that kinda coin on any boat, I would buy Diggs' 07 Supra 22ssv that's for sale in the classifieds section right now.

Either way I don't think you can go wrong either and the dallas dealer is top notch.
Old     (sailing216)      Join Date: Oct 2007       01-13-2008, 2:03 PM Reply   
Just to give you a ballpark. A local Moomba dealer last year had his Demo Leftover with 24 hrs on it and said his rock bottom price on the XLV GG was $42k. Add the increase in a year price increase and there you go. Granted it was a Demo boat, but that just means all the kinks have been worked out and the 20hr service has been done (twice in this boat's case).
I'd pass on the boat you're talking about. You could find a demo'ed Supra for the same money if not a bit cheaper.
Old     (jon_a)      Join Date: Feb 2003       01-13-2008, 2:34 PM Reply   
Kyle,

I will be using a 2008 XLV as my demo boat this year and I am choosing that from my choice of any Supra or Moomba boat. Go visit Marty at your boat show from WSBD. I'm sure he will make you the best deal he can.
Old     (kana12)      Join Date: Jan 2008       01-13-2008, 3:00 PM Reply   
so is supra and moomba the same boat?
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       01-13-2008, 4:25 PM Reply   
No it's the same boat company though Skiers Choice.
Old     (duffmangt)      Join Date: Jan 2008       01-13-2008, 5:38 PM Reply   
Thanks for all the advice guys.

Jon - Marty is the one i worked with this saturday, and i'll be meeting up with him again next saturday at the fort worth boat show.
Old     (duffmangt)      Join Date: Jan 2008       01-13-2008, 5:45 PM Reply   
What are the things i need to worry about buying from a private dealer? I wanted to buy from a dealer so i know everything is in order. But there seems to be much better deals from private dealers
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       01-13-2008, 6:01 PM Reply   
Kyle do you mean private party?
Old     (duffmangt)      Join Date: Jan 2008       01-13-2008, 6:20 PM Reply   
yes i do, ty...much better deals from private partys
Old     (clb)      Join Date: Dec 2007       01-13-2008, 6:56 PM Reply   
Kyle,
Don't forget about dealer service and relationship. You can not go wrong with Marty and the folks at Waterski Boats Dallas. Solid choice.
Old     (curtisco24)      Join Date: Dec 2005       01-13-2008, 7:13 PM Reply   
that is a lot of coin for a moomba. i would say you would lose 10k on that when you sign the papers. As others said, look for something else for that kind of money.
Old     (duffmangt)      Join Date: Jan 2008       01-13-2008, 7:21 PM Reply   
yeah, i really liked marty...he was very helpful and took me seriously, which i could see how a boat dealership wouldnt, im 22 and look 19. So i was super pleased with the service. but from what everyones been saying 57k is to much. So i think what im going to do is see what used deals marty gets in. Id love a supra 21v or a 22ssv
Old     (johnsvt)      Join Date: Dec 2006       01-13-2008, 7:34 PM Reply   
07 for 42595 it isn't a GG...add 3-4% for an 08

http://adcache.boattraderonline.com/6/5/3/89730953.htm
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       01-13-2008, 7:39 PM Reply   
Kyle,

Is this your first boat purchase, doesn't sound like you have alot of experience buying boats. We just don't want to see you pay way to much. Marty may be a great guy but it's still his job to get as much as he can out of you for a boat. Sounds like you'll be paying MSRP for that boat, and nobody pays that. If this is going to be your first boat, I would highly discourage that move. My opinion is your first boat is like your first car, it's gonna get it's bumps and bruises until you figure it all out. You say you're putting no money down, big mistake. You will owe more on the boat when you go to get rid of it if you put no money down, unless you plan to make payments well over $1000 per month. I don't know any bank that does 100% financing on a boat loan, at least I've never seen one. If so with no money down and your reletively young age your interest rate would probably be outrageous. If that $57K boat isn't absolutely perfect when you go to sell it you will really take it in the shorts. Please re-think your decision carefully, there are some awesome used boats out there for sale that have really been taken care of, a few members on WW have some for sale. If I'm way off here about your situation I appologize just trying to prevent you from making a big mistake. Let us know what you decide.
Old     (duffmangt)      Join Date: Jan 2008       01-13-2008, 7:49 PM Reply   
Nu - thanks, this is why im here! to learn all i can before i make the decision and realize its a mistake. I think i have been persuaded to buy used, especially for my first.

So what are the con's to buying from a private party? I know i have to get a bank loan and a few people have told me the interest rate will most likely not be as low as a dealers. Any other con's i should be worried about?
Old     (jon_a)      Join Date: Feb 2003       01-13-2008, 7:54 PM Reply   
You guys are forgetting two big things, local dealer support and WARRANTY!!!

New boat = full warranty, which for Moomba this year includes 4 years on the engine.

Used boat =whatever is left from the initial 3 year warranty-plus you have to pay a transfer fee to have the warranty transfered.

I know Marty personally and obviously a dealer has to make money on a boat. But I also know Marty is a first class guy that will set a customer up with the best deal he can.

Don't get me wrong, there are many nice used boats out there but don't be discouraged from buying a new boat.

Kyle, go talk with Marty again and ask him to sharpen his pencil. I'm sure both of you will walk away happy.
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       01-13-2008, 7:57 PM Reply   
Kyle keep in mind that Jon works at a dealership and can get a much better deal on a boat than you could ever dream of.
Old     (johnsvt)      Join Date: Dec 2006       01-13-2008, 8:00 PM Reply   
I forget but there are boat loan institutions and sometimes local credit unions are good place to start for boat loans. Get your financing straight before boat shopping it may actually help you figure out your budget for your first boat.

When buying private party you just need to make a checklist and then stick to the list.
Old     (04outback)      Join Date: Jul 2007       01-13-2008, 8:01 PM Reply   
Kyle.
I 2nd what nu bu said. I started with a gently used 04 Outback. Loved it but wanted a little more freeboard and ballast. kept it for one year and sold for close to what I purchased for and got an 06 Mobius LSV. If you are going to buy new, you need to be VERY sure you are gonna keep it for years. Just like cars, they'll take a depreciation hit the first year.. I love new stuff, but don't mind letting someone take the hit. There have been some great deals on 21V's on here and on onlyinboards.com As far as financing goes, look around the net, there are some online banking opportunities for boat loans. I have a great local banker who makes it easy for me, but I looked into the online options and it was not bad! Not sure what state you are in, but in Mississippi, if you buy a used boat person-to-person, you don't have to pay tax again.. BIG SAVINGS.. 7% tax here! That's one reason I like gently used and another affect on the depreciation curve of a new one. Again, if you have NO concerns about needing to sell anytime w/in 5 years, new is a good option..
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       01-13-2008, 8:02 PM Reply   
Kyle I suggest you follow Ewings advice and go see what you qualify for on a boatloan for your bank first, then start shopping the credit unions. This should really be your first step.
Old     (wakeride26)      Join Date: Dec 2006       01-14-2008, 12:19 PM Reply   
there are a lot of banks that do 0 down on boat loans. buy what you like and nothing else..
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       01-14-2008, 12:32 PM Reply   
Ok Bret, how about some real advice for the guy. Put the salesman aside for a minute. Would you advise anyone that you know to buy a boat no money down?
Old     (duffmangt)      Join Date: Jan 2008       01-14-2008, 7:44 PM Reply   
thanks again for all the help guys, it's really helping me make my decision...i still have a couple of months before its final so all the information i get is great!
Old     (johnsvt)      Join Date: Dec 2006       01-14-2008, 7:52 PM Reply   
You can buy a boat no money down, but you better buy that boat right. Meaning don't pay on the high side of book value. FYI the bank book value is generally much higher than the dealer.
Old     (bird_dog0347)      Join Date: Feb 2006       01-15-2008, 1:31 PM Reply   
I got my LSV from WSBD last year at the boat show, and I could not be happier with the boat or the dealer. Marty is incredible to work with, and the boat is great.

One thing to think about though is going with a standard XLV, with options and saving some money but still getting the hull. If you do go that route, get the wakeplate, and wakeboard prop for sure.

The only thing I would change about my boat is getting one a little bigger (XLV) as we always have lots of people with us and we can use the extra room.
Old     (houdini)      Join Date: Aug 2005       01-15-2008, 1:45 PM Reply   
I bought my boat no money down, but I know I am going to owe when I sell. I have the money, so I choose to basically pay out my down payment when I sell, in hopes that I may keep it long enough to catch up on the loan and maybe I won't have to pay out...

Just think it through. You are doing the right thing by asking people on here.
Old     (wakeride26)      Join Date: Dec 2006       01-15-2008, 2:01 PM Reply   
I would not advise buying a boat with nothing down, however their are loans that require zero down. For somone to make the comment that zero down loans are not offered with no knowledge of marine financing is not advised. I give in to all of the so called expert know it alls..
Old     (buguru)      Join Date: Feb 2006       01-15-2008, 2:04 PM Reply   
OK OK OK. Step aside boys. The the guru in on this one.
Old     (wakeride26)      Join Date: Dec 2006       01-15-2008, 2:09 PM Reply   
since your such an expert (guru) tell me how it is.....Oh wait you don't need financing on a Malibu.. Just buy it then wait a week or so for it to fall apart then " I can sue Malibu for a new one" because a cup holder cracked.. Cash is KING.....
Old     (bmartin)      Join Date: Jan 2007       01-15-2008, 2:13 PM Reply   
Kyle,

I hate to be the one to throw some cold water on on your boat buying buzz, but I would suggest starting out with something more modest for your first boat. Financing 100% of $50K is going to be quite a commitment. Also your first boat will take the most unintentional abuse because it takes a little while to learn the ropes and why not start with something with a few nicks in it already. I know your priority might be wakeboarding now, but in a few years you might want a house, marry that special boat fluff, or go back to school and it is real easy to be upside down for a long time with these boats with the kind of financing you are trying to arrange.

I do not take out any loans for toys myself and realize that is being kind of conservative, but it is nice never having to make a payment. Yeah that means starting out with older smaller boats, and trading them for something newer and nicer, and eventually you can have that nice new shiny boat spec-d just the way you want it, but it is not in your financial interest to make that your first boat. I have seen several persons post here desparate to sell their boat realizing they are upside down and would have to pay $1000s to the lender after they sold it. You can find very solid 5-7y.o. wakeboard boats for around $20-25K that will barely depreciate and similar vintage I/O that will get the job done for $10K. Many of the people on this board started wakeboarding behind an I/O and worked or traded our way up to a v-drive.

Sorry to be a downer but I just hate seeing people starting off life in such a big hole.
Old     (buguru)      Join Date: Feb 2006       01-15-2008, 2:20 PM Reply   
WOW Bret you sure know it all. I sure feel sorry for the people that buy from you. You know i did hear about the one that had a missing cup holder and he demanded a whole new boat.
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       01-15-2008, 2:31 PM Reply   
Bret I see your credability slipping away after every word you type. I was talking about him going to a bank on his own and getting a loan, not through the dealership. Of course he can get a zero down load through a dealer like you with a crappy rate and then you'll also get your kickback from the bank right Bret. I know a little more then you might think toughguy.
Old     (duffy)      Join Date: Feb 2006       01-15-2008, 2:35 PM Reply   
When I bought my first boat I bought a new outback; The boat was 26,000 I put 5000 down. I sold it two years later for 24000. You have to put money down though. They hold their value well. I agree with buying a new boat because of the warranty.I dont't care what kind of boat you buy, you will have problems. I have had two brand new boats, each different brands and needed the warranty for both. Check out the LSV Moomba or the Outback V Moomba their a lot cheaper. You will have to buy sacks but that is cheaper. Plus properly weighted they make a great wake. Just demo one before you purchase. They are great boats. I think Moomba is a great boat for a first time buyer. Make sure you are not paying MSRP! By the way that 57g is way to high.
Old     (wakeride26)      Join Date: Dec 2006       01-15-2008, 2:44 PM Reply   
what the f is your deal.... I never said anything about a loan through the dealership. you get all fired up over a post because why? I must have no cred because I state that someone can get zero down loans. Exactly why people can't post on here at all, because some people get to serious....
Old     (wakeride26)      Join Date: Dec 2006       01-15-2008, 2:48 PM Reply   
For the record I baught my boat with 5K down.... and yes its mine........
Old     (buguru)      Join Date: Feb 2006       01-15-2008, 2:55 PM Reply   
You put that much down on that sweet ride. WOW, must be about paid off huh. And wait wait wait, before you say anything, NO i dont have a boat.
Old     (wakeride26)      Join Date: Dec 2006       01-15-2008, 2:59 PM Reply   
For 5K I could buy every car you own..(guru)all 3 of them
Old     (buguru)      Join Date: Feb 2006       01-15-2008, 3:02 PM Reply   
Shows how much you know. I dont even have 3 cars.
Old     (wakeride26)      Join Date: Dec 2006       01-15-2008, 3:04 PM Reply   
wow.. now thats brutal. get back 2 work
Old     (poser007)      Join Date: Nov 2004       01-15-2008, 4:12 PM Reply   
Lots of opinions here, agree with some not on others. Here is my take. I didn't read every post so if I missed something I am sorry. I love owning a boat, it is my favorite thing to do in the summer time. That being said I like a little bling bling and I like nice things. I have owned an XLV and thought the boat was a very nice boat. Great Wake and all my friends and I had a greats ummer on it. I picked it up at an auction for a very good price. In fact such a good price that the guy I sold it to sold it for more profit then I sold it to him for. That being said....57,000 for a Moomba XLV does sound a tad steep to me. Here is the thing, I don't like being upside down on anything I own. So I would never purchase a brand new boat. If you look around even on this site, there are some incredible boats for sale at some really reasonable prices. My suggestion would be find a boat that fits all your needs...do your due dilligence and find out what the boat with the options you want would run on average. Let's say average is about 45,000 If it were me I would not purchase it unless I could get it for under 40,000. That way I would know if anything financially crippling ever came my way i could probably unload it quickly. There is a beautiful black Supra on this site for sale along with many other great looking and nicely priced boats. I would look there first maybe talk to some of the guys who want their boats sold. If you purchase the Moomba for 57,000 you are gonna be paying on it until you are like 157 years old. Good luck man I always got excited when boat shopping. Whatever you do have fun and be safe my friend.
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       01-15-2008, 4:27 PM Reply   
Bret never called myself a know it all, I advised that buying a boat $0 down especially his first boat wasn't a good move. Bret let me know the name of a bank that will do a boat loan with $0 down and have a rate under 7% on that boat at that price he described.
Old     (sailing216)      Join Date: Oct 2007       01-15-2008, 5:27 PM Reply   
On the moomba.com website in the classifieds are some great deals on some lightly used ones to the tune of 29k.

Don't buy a new one. You should have alot more cash on hand for such a large purchase. Average $4 for a gallon of gas this coming summer when you burn about 5 gallons or more an hour, and $250+ for the 20 hr service, and that's just the tip of expenses. I just bought a boat and will spend almost 2 grand in gear. Lines, bumpers, life jackets, anchor, more lines, the list goes on...
Economy isn't so good to be digging a deep hole.