Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (lfrider92)      Join Date: Sep 2008       08-11-2011, 12:12 PM Reply   
my PCL is completely shot. and my doc says he doesnt know how its still holding on. (non wakeboarding injury)

my doc wrote me a prescription for a bledsoe axiom-D custom brace. anyone used one? how are they for wakeboarding? my dad has a CTI and loves it. ive never heard of bledsoe but my doctor and their rep say they are twice as good as CTI to protect my knee while wakeboarding.

the brace they are giving me is like 1100$ they said without insurence and my insurence is covering all of it. but would it be worth grabbing a CTI to use just for wakeboarding? im suposed to wear my bledsoe all the time except for sleeping and showering for the next year, but i was hoping someone has used both and could tell me which is better for out on the water.

thanks!
Old     (bhyatt_ohp)      Join Date: Oct 2007       08-11-2011, 12:29 PM Reply   

vs.

The bledsoe looks like a cross breed of the CTI and Donjoy brace to me. I like the bledsoe that you don't have to step into it like the donjoy, but don't like how it has a void in the brace above the knee/quad region. The CTI does a good job of putting support on the tibia and femur as the brace covers more surface area vs. the bledsoe. I've been a CTI user for about 9 years now and wouldn't have anything else. For what its worth, I've never seen a pro rider in anything but a CTI post knee injury. I would do a search on here for knee braces and see everyone's past opinions on this matter.
Old     (liquidmx)      Join Date: Jun 2005       08-11-2011, 12:53 PM Reply   
If your insurance is covering the bledsoe it will also cover the CTI...under insurance coverage I believe it's referred to as "durable goods" or "orthopedic durable medical devices"...or a combination of that. I would just have your doctor write you a prescription for the CTI instead (I prefer CTI as it has better protection IMHO). If your doc doesn't want to do it...ask what his reasoning is (I doubt he has any real reason other than getting more free games of golf with the Bledsoe rep).

Overall push for what you want...that's why you or your dad paid those medical insurance premiums and doctor's premiums. Hanger prosthetics in San Jose is a rep for CTI so you can get fitted there...I think there is one over by Valley Fair.

Ohh...and I believe the CTI has an ACL retention option along with anti migration straps etc. I wear two braces so I can help you out with the setup if you want?
Old     (tonyv420)      Join Date: Jul 2007       08-11-2011, 1:38 PM Reply   
my Doc asked why I wanted a CTI instead of his usual brand he writes perscriptions for. I told him I like it because its the best for wakeboarding and other water sports. It has a anti migration strap (option) that really helps keep it in place when wet. My insurance covered it 100%. He went ahead and wrote it for the CTI, no problem. The docs do get a kick back from certain brands they prescribe. I have had a ACL reconstruction.
Old     (brett_cti_knee_braces)      Join Date: Feb 2009       08-11-2011, 9:17 PM Reply   
Hey David,
I try not to jump in on bracing conversations too much because it is obvious that I am going to be biased. And to be honest, a lot of the guys on here that have been through an injury (like M-Dizzle and the others above) usually answer the questions really well and say basically the same stuff I would say. That being said, I did want to address a couple points that came up:
1. If your insurance will cover a custom Bledsoe (or Donjoy, or Breg, Etc) it will also cover a CTi. Same for OTS (off-the-shelf) braces. All those custom braces bill under the same code for customs or the same code for OTS braces.
2. Doctors choose to prescribe different brands for different reasons. Some have a good relationship with that brand's sales rep or they may just prefer their overall breadth of products. A lot of things can factor in on why they choose their bracing partner. BUT... even if a doctor is a "Bledsoe guy", he can still prescribe a CTi. It is a matter of you asking for a CTi and educating them on the demands of your sport and why a CTi will function better for your needs. Most doctors will try and get their patients (you) what they want as long as you can help them understand why you want it. We actually provide sport-specific sellsheets (including wakeboarding/wakeskating) on our website to help this process. www.ossur.com/cti under the "support documents" tab. You can bring it in to help educate your doctor on why the CTi functions better for your needs.

Sorry if it comes across as me trying to hard sell on CTi. That is not my intent. I just try to provide information that I would want if I were investigating the subject. Thanks again to all the guys that take the time to jump on here and help out.

Good luck with your rehab and with whatever brace you end up getting!
-Brett
Old     (kristian)      Join Date: Nov 2002       08-12-2011, 1:07 AM Reply   
I have never used a bledsoe, nor do I know too much about them.

When I'm coaching I'll spend up to 6 hours a day riding with my students (cable)
I've been sporting the double knee brace since I blew my knee 6 years ago. Tried a series of brands and models and for the fact of durability, comfort and over effectivness I've chosen the CTI2 Vapor. Absolutely love it! And will recomend it to anyone.

Saying that, we're all different. I've blown everything but my PCL so your needs might be very different to mine.

my Wife who used to be an aerial skiier and now one of the leading sports physiotherapists in Australia has used bledsoe and says they're quality is extremely good. and great for specific supports. (ie, PCL only)

What my wife question is why on earth is your doctor making you do this? There are so many professional rugby players out there that have no PCL left that still play and train every week with nothing more than strapping tape. You PCL is not going to magically heal if its that bad, the only way is surgery.
You'd be much better of developing and toning your support muscles in your knee/leg.
So is there any other structural damage (ACL? MCL? LCL? etc etc) that would require the need of a brace?
Old     (silvermustang35)      Join Date: Jul 2008       08-12-2011, 6:25 AM Reply   
My Cusom CTI should ready next week to pick up from the doctor. I had my family doctor write a prescription for a cti custom for my right knee, took it to the orthotic doctor and we made the mold late last week. Had to get the custom yellow color to match everything else. I am using a crappy heeley and webber brace to ride until my cti comes in. Can't wait!
Back to the subject though, I havent seen a wakeboarder that is using something other than CTI. I did research before deciding CTI and all the indicators pointed to them as being "it" . That bledsoe does look like a cross breed and I dont like the lack of upper knee support. I am sorry I can't help ya out, but once mine comes in i'll let ya kno how it does
Old     (liquidmx)      Join Date: Jun 2005       08-12-2011, 9:41 AM Reply   
English may have a good point...I am not a doctor so I wont go any further than maybe create a thread asking who is riding without a PCL...?

David, something else to consider (ask yourself) is "why CTI is so prevalent in wakeboarding?".

Why do more Pro's ride CTI than any other brand? When it comes to boards, bindings ropes, vests, boats, etc. a good rider will rip on just about anything (gear related...generally). However when those guys have to take care of their bodies...which is how they make their living...I dont think they would be choosing a brand if it didn't serve it's function well. It's one thing to ride using a crappy board, boots or boat because you got it for free...but I highly doubt the top guys take the same liberties when it comes to their health (especially something so vital as their knees)...considering the way some of them train, eat, diet, etc. I dont see all of them "settling" for a brace because of sponsorship bucks.
Old     (lfrider92)      Join Date: Sep 2008       08-12-2011, 10:42 AM Reply   
You all have a very good point. i knew what CTI was way before my dad after got one. but i had never heard of bledsoe until my doctor wrote a prescription for one.

if i could i would ask to change it to a CTI (i have kaiser through my work, i dont pay my medical insurence) but they already messured me and its already being made. no other damage to my knee besides my PCL. i thought it was my meniscus and so did my doctor until they did an MRI. my doctor told me that surgery doesnt fix PCL tears the majority of the time which is why he recomended not doing it because it would just put me out of work with little to no return. i wish i had posted this before i was fitted for the brace.
Im guess im going to use the bledsoe for a while and try riding with it, and if it helps, great! if not, then ill ask my doctor for a CTI due to recomendation, and if he wont do it, i might just drop the money on one. im only 19 and dont want to be in pain every day for years to come. so im trying to do what i can to fix the problem before it gets worse.
Old     (bhyatt_ohp)      Join Date: Oct 2007       08-12-2011, 10:46 AM Reply   
If you do end up hating the bledsoe, CTI's OTS (off the shelf) model is very legit for the money. http://orthotape.com/Ossur_CTi_OTS_L...otor_cross.asp
Old     (silvermustang35)      Join Date: Jul 2008       08-19-2011, 2:28 PM Reply   
Just picked up my custom CTI. Very awesome. It feels natural and doesnt feel like im really wearing a brace vs second skin. Havent ridden and wont get a chance to until tomorrow, but so far impressed. Thanks to Brett to for going out of his way to help me follow up on it. The Yellow matches my Axis Perfect! These things are legit for sure.
Old     (riddick)      Join Date: Jan 2010       08-20-2011, 10:03 PM Reply   
Hey david, I injured my knee riding around the 1st of july, and we think its a PCL tear (waiting on MRI results)... I can walk/run fine for the most part (occasionally it will feel like it hyperextends and hurts), but for the most part, its fine walking. However, deep squats or bending the knee back hurts pretty bad...I have tried to ride, and i can;t do a basic w2w 180 due to the large amount of pain in that knee...do these symptoms seem to be the same as yours? Does that CTI brace help reduce the pain while riding?

Thanks, Brad Riddick.