Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (mc_x15)      Join Date: Jul 2008       04-08-2010, 6:59 AM Reply   
I am looking to get a charger/jumper box for my X-15. I had a few battery problems early on last yr, i am unable to take my batteries out of the boat during the winter so when i open up in the summer they tend to be low on juice.( i know not good) Last year they were completely dead but a jump from a jumper box that a local marina had solved ther problem and they were fine all yr long. Does anyone know which jumper box is used for the stock batteries on an X-15? I see many different voltages and different kinds and am confused on which one i need.
Any help would be great
Thanks
Rob
Old     (jtnz)      Join Date: Sep 2007       04-08-2010, 8:18 PM Reply   
Can you see your batteries? You might want to compare the CCA rating (Cold Cranking Amps) to the unit you're looking at, more amps is better than less. I think what you're referring to is amps not volts. The more amps you have the more current (assuming the resistance is the same) you get at the same voltage.

You can also get a 3/5/8 in 1 unit that includes an internal battery and jump cables but also can have power adapters for 110/240 volt appliances, USB, 12v charging etc some of which can be charged from a solar panel or a pull string. We have one that has a tyre pump/low volume compressor, jumper kit, USB power, 12v power, 240v power, a torch and a pull string for emergency charging, it has come in handy quite a few times.

Similar to this one - http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...5488_200395488

Last edited by jtnz; 04-08-2010 at 8:21 PM. Reason: Additional Link
Old     (johnny_defacto)      Join Date: Sep 2006       04-08-2010, 11:14 PM Reply   
Do yourself and your batteries a favor, the day you go spend $100-200 on a jump box, spend an additional $30 on a battery tender. You can use this everyday of the year if you want to, but sounds like you only need it during the winter.
Old    walker44            04-09-2010, 8:23 AM Reply   
I agree with Johnny. I dont like the jumper boxes because they can go bad and you may not know it until you need it (I had one go bad). Jumper boxes need to be maintained just like the boat batteries, so why not install a tender and plug that in instead. Tenders are not that expensive, easy to install and will increase your battery life. Unless you boat in an area with no other boats, the cables are more reliable.
Old     (mc_x15)      Join Date: Jul 2008       04-09-2010, 8:33 AM Reply   
I am familiar with battery tenders for i have one for my motorcycle. How do they work on a boat. Do you have to plug the boat tender in for it to get power to "tend" the batteries?? Like i said i really only need it in the beginning of the season. The batteries hold there charge once they are jumped and the boat is drivin for a few. BUt a tender woudl prob be better for longer life on the batteries and i wouldnt have to jump them.
Old    walker44            04-09-2010, 2:46 PM Reply   
The tender connects to the + and - of one battery. You can mount the tender in the boat if you like. Whenever the boat is parked, just plug in the tender. I have two batteries, so I also need to turn my battery switch to both. I have read that the tender will significantly extend the life of you batteries. The only issue I could see is if you don’t have a power source where you store the boat.

I understand why you want a jumper, but I think a tender will solve your issues and you will be happier in the end. Since you only have issues in the winter, I would go with a single low power tender. Do a search, there is lots of information on WW.
Old     (chris4x4gill2)      Join Date: Sep 2009       04-09-2010, 6:07 PM Reply   
I agree that a battery tender is a better choice than relying on a jump box. Your batteries are experienceing a slow discharge over the winter when you arent using the boat, the Battery tender will charge them back up as the charge falls down. Keeping your batteries charged and not letting them go dead will add years to their life.
Old     (shawndoggy)      Join Date: Nov 2009       04-09-2010, 6:25 PM Reply   
Batteries can go dead for other reasons too... Like accidentally turning the blower on on a long drive to the lake... Not that I've done that... So a jumper box is a good thing to have too. Costco has 'em.
Old     (brycejb328)      Join Date: Aug 2009       04-10-2010, 6:01 AM Reply   
at a tech school... i believe i was told the stat was that for every 30 days a batter doesnt get a fresh charge it loses ten percent of its life. of course there is variences that go along with this.

with that being said. The battery that you are letting sit for a winter that gets completely discharged Is most likely a battery that will not be very trustworthy. It may start the boat and run it, but the amp hours of the batter may not be holding up. A battery that is discharged that low will require a special recharging process. Again every manufacturer recommends different (usually a higher amperage for the first 20 min then a lower amperage till fully charged). Also the idea of having a battery tender hooked up to the battery may be a bad idea also, yes the battery may not be a vented battery, but the risk of fumes may be possible. At the very least keep the hatch or compartment open so its not in such a confined area.

Is it just very difficult to remove the battery?