Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (Moose99)      Join Date: Jun 2011       07-12-2012, 2:28 PM Reply   
If you're sticking with Mastercraft, a bunch of people on here are saying the X-25 is their best boat right now. Something to think about. There's definitely been lots of talk about the X-Star having a tempermental wake.
Old     (bjames)      Join Date: May 2012       07-12-2012, 2:34 PM Reply   
Thats what happend to me last year. I purchased a 2011 X25 and deamed it a lemmon, MC took it back and allowed me to custom order a 2012 at no charge. That is why i am loyal to the brand.

Ryan, Be sure to post pics once you decide on colors. I would love to get a 2013 X-Star, but only if it came with a 'classic dash'.
Old     (xstarrider)      Join Date: Jun 2007       07-12-2012, 4:30 PM Reply   
Bj,

Just curious. If you had a lemon of an 11, now have a 12 with some issues I myself would consider major that no one can help electronically, why would you go with a 2013? I am definately familiar as my cousin has 2012 x 25 also thqt has a mind of its own sometimes. You have to draw the line somewhere no? Again just curious because if I had to deal with a nightmare of a lemon for 100k for an entire season, got a replacement that doesn't work either from the date of delivery, I sure as heck wouldn't be ordering a 2013 , brand loyalty aside.
Old     (loudontn)      Join Date: Feb 2005       07-12-2012, 9:52 PM Reply   
/posting in epic thread
Old     (mhunter)      Join Date: Mar 2008       07-13-2012, 5:11 AM Reply   
I for one can understand and appreciate brand loyalty . It would take a lot to make me switch brands. I do think you are doing yourself an injustice by not even looking at other brands. With all the builders stepping it up in the last few years you may just find a better fit. If nothing else it will confirm you made the right decision going with the Star. Good luck with your new boat.
Old     (Andrew14)      Join Date: Apr 2011       07-13-2012, 7:47 AM Reply   
+1 for what MHUNTER just said.

Quick question for the forum: Regarding the X-25, are any of the MC team riders riding behind this boat on a regular basis over the Star? I keep seeing ads in wakeboarding mags advertising the X-25 with pics of Rusy and Shane riding behind it (I've also heard this is MC's best boat right now) and was just curious if any of the team riders were really riding behind it.

End Hijack.
Old     (hunter660)      Join Date: Aug 2007       07-13-2012, 7:51 AM Reply   
The X-25 hull would have been the new x-star but for 2 reasons. Marketing didn't think it was flashy enough and we you put A LOT of weight in it the wake will not stay clean.
Old     (bjames)      Join Date: May 2012       07-13-2012, 8:33 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by xstarrider View Post
Bj,

Just curious. If you had a lemon of an 11, now have a 12 with some issues I myself would consider major that no one can help electronically, why would you go with a 2013? I am definately familiar as my cousin has 2012 x 25 also thqt has a mind of its own sometimes. You have to draw the line somewhere no? Again just curious because if I had to deal with a nightmare of a lemon for 100k for an entire season, got a replacement that doesn't work either from the date of delivery, I sure as heck wouldn't be ordering a 2013 , brand loyalty aside.
The issues I had I considered minor. Everything except for the Software upgrade to fix the ballast and camera issues have been fixed and have worked very well since. Thus far, I have not had any more issues with the boat since my 10 hour service. <- thats me knocking on wood

As far as going with a 2013, that would be if I could get a 'classic dash' (No screens), ZFT4, regulat zero off, standard ballast timers. I would be happy. As much as I love the high-tech gagets, I dont want them on my next boat.
Old     (bjames)      Join Date: May 2012       07-13-2012, 8:38 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew14 View Post
+1 for what MHUNTER just said.

Quick question for the forum: Regarding the X-25, are any of the MC team riders riding behind this boat on a regular basis over the Star? I keep seeing ads in wakeboarding mags advertising the X-25 with pics of Rusy and Shane riding behind it (I've also heard this is MC's best boat right now) and was just curious if any of the team riders were really riding behind it.

End Hijack.
I think its pure marketing hype. However I was talking with Zane back in Febuary, and he suggested his next boat was going to be an X25, but how knows.
Old     (bjames)      Join Date: May 2012       07-13-2012, 8:40 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunter660 View Post
The X-25 hull would have been the new x-star but for 2 reasons. Marketing didn't think it was flashy enough and we you put A LOT of weight in it the wake will not stay clean.
I heard that the wake would be fine, but the real problem was its cornering. It cant turn as sharp as a star.

However I did notice (from Youtube Vids) that Harley Clifford was being pulled by a X25 for the WWA championships.
Old     (Andrew14)      Join Date: Apr 2011       07-13-2012, 9:01 AM Reply   
Jon/Bryan - thanks for the info regarding the X-25 vs Star. There is a new X-25 on our lake (guy hardly uses it) and it looks pretty sweet, so was wondering what the deal with it was. Does MC have any boats that you don't have to put a ton of weight in to get a decent wake? Maybe the X-1 and/or X-15? Seems like most of their boats you have to sac out - might just be my perception though.
Old     (TroyD)      Join Date: Jan 2012       07-13-2012, 9:03 AM Reply   
Going to chime in here as what initially drew me to MC was riding behind my buddy's X25. Before the new Star and G23 I was looking to upgrade to either a 230 (from my current 210) or a 25. Without having actually been in a G23 yet I think the 25 is the nicest, best laid out boats period. And we run about 2500 lbs with no issues with dirty wake. It surfs like a champ too. Stretching this haul 18" would have made a killer star IMO.

It does leave something to be desired in the handling department though.
Old     (bjames)      Join Date: May 2012       07-13-2012, 10:40 AM Reply   
For wakeboarding I dont run any ballast in my X25. The wake school I rode with has a moomba LSV and upgraded fat sacs running about 1/2 full. All I can say is an empty X25's wake is much bigger than a weighted LSV. If I fill the stock ballast, the X25's wake is huge (Huge for me )
Old     (dirwoody)      Join Date: Apr 2003       07-13-2012, 10:57 AM Reply   
I heard the new ones get spider cracks like crazy.
Old     (Andrew14)      Join Date: Apr 2011       07-13-2012, 11:55 AM Reply   
Bryan - wow, no ballast and has a wake worth riding? That's pretty awesome to hear. At the Boarding School, we rode Moye's 2011 Star with no factory ballast (big crew though of about 6-7 always in the boat, 500lbs lead tucked in nose) and I loved the wake - plenty large enough for me. Sounds like the X25 has a money wake too, even when not loaded down. I need to make friends with the guy on our lake with one Can you get a 7.4L Ilmore in an X25? That engine is crazy powerful and sounds really good too
Old     (hco)      Join Date: Jun 2006       07-13-2012, 1:08 PM Reply   
X25 with stock ballast and 3 people in the boat is the most incredible wake I have ridden, and when we go out with a big crew for the day (10+ people) we usually go half ballast. I would say I am an intermediate rider who likes a big wake too. On my buddy's wakesetter we usually run a few thousand and its not nearly as nice.
Old     (TroyD)      Join Date: Jan 2012       07-13-2012, 2:43 PM Reply   
Agreed. As I said, G23 aside as its so new yet. X25 best proven wake out there for surf or wake. Best interior too. I'm pretty sure it's far and away MCs best selling boats and prob one of the top 2 or 3 selling of any brand.
Old     (Andrew14)      Join Date: Apr 2011       07-16-2012, 1:35 PM Reply   
X25 sounds pretty awesome - I need to get a ride in one! I find the MC wakes a little easier to ride than some of the other boats out there too (my 2008 210 wake still gets the best of me every now and then, but its awesome when you hit it right).

What engines do you guys have in your X-25s? Anyone have an Ilmore?
Old     (bjames)      Join Date: May 2012       07-17-2012, 9:13 AM Reply   
I have the 6.0 Ilmor and find the power good, although I am considering re propping to get a bit more power when loaded up. I know a lot of people are having goo results with the stock Ilmor 5.7L.
Old     (TroyD)      Join Date: Jan 2012       07-17-2012, 10:16 AM Reply   
In the engine category is where MC really shines. IMO far and away best engine family (Ilmor) in the industry. Period.
Old     (boomshot)      Join Date: Jan 2008       07-17-2012, 10:40 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjames View Post
The issues I had I considered minor. Everything except for the Software upgrade to fix the ballast and camera issues have been fixed and have worked very well since. Thus far, I have not had any more issues with the boat since my 10 hour service. <- thats me knocking on wood

As far as going with a 2013, that would be if I could get a 'classic dash' (No screens), ZFT4, regulat zero off, standard ballast timers. I would be happy. As much as I love the high-tech gagets, I dont want them on my next boat.

Inboard/tournament/lake/wake boat manufacturers have demonstrated that they have little interest in supporting reality. The reality that these high-tech devices on board boats have very limited appeal among hardcore riders. Riders who know what gets wet, and when. Riders who know what it's like to operate single-screen dashes in sunlight for a whole week. Riders who know what a dew-soaked boat feels like, let alone a rained-upon boat.

I am so sick of the advance of unwanted tech on these boats. MasterCraft and Nautique are the worst about this. And as a person who has been boned by almost all of Nautique's choices when it comes to high-tech (failed head unit in my 2001, SAN, failed digital tach, failed push button start that wears out on oft-pressed numbers, and broken Nautique Cruise RPM system) I am pissed! This s#*t gets annoying when you see them doing it time and time again. It's expensive, jacks up the price for everyone... meanwhile people like me are just screeching for analog gauges and pump-less ballast systems. I don't see this demonstrated more clearly than MasterCraft. I look at the modern X-Star and all I see is a hunk of billet aluminum, l.e.d. lighting, and paint.

Last edited by boomshot; 07-17-2012 at 10:47 AM.
Old     (williamburell)      Join Date: Sep 2011       07-17-2012, 11:47 AM Reply   
^been saying that for a long time. If they could bring back their old boats with new vinyl I'd be happy. I'd be siked for a 205v with a power tower, new vinyl, and an updated gel scheme.
Old     (MattieK27)      Join Date: Mar 2010       07-17-2012, 12:01 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by boomshot View Post
Inboard/tournament/lake/wake boat manufacturers have demonstrated that they have little interest in supporting reality. The reality that these high-tech devices on board boats have very limited appeal among hardcore riders. Riders who know what gets wet, and when. Riders who know what it's like to operate single-screen dashes in sunlight for a whole week. Riders who know what a dew-soaked boat feels like, let alone a rained-upon boat.

I am so sick of the advance of unwanted tech on these boats. MasterCraft and Nautique are the worst about this. And as a person who has been boned by almost all of Nautique's choices when it comes to high-tech (failed head unit in my 2001, SAN, failed digital tach, failed push button start that wears out on oft-pressed numbers, and broken Nautique Cruise RPM system) I am pissed! This s#*t gets annoying when you see them doing it time and time again. It's expensive, jacks up the price for everyone... meanwhile people like me are just screeching for analog gauges and pump-less ballast systems. I don't see this demonstrated more clearly than MasterCraft. I look at the modern X-Star and all I see is a hunk of billet aluminum, l.e.d. lighting, and paint.
Yep. Its my opinion they have added all the luxury items so they can have a greater upcharge on the boat. Works great to get the rich peoples money, sucks for people who just want a simple wakeboat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyD View Post
In the engine category is where MC really shines. IMO far and away best engine family (Ilmor) in the industry. Period.
What do you base this on, considering the lineup has been out for less than two years?
Old     (williamburell)      Join Date: Sep 2011       07-17-2012, 12:08 PM Reply   
Quote:
Yep. Its my opinion they have added all the luxury items so they can have a greater upcharge on the boat. Works great to get the rich peoples money, sucks for people who just want a simple wakeboat.
Reality is it drives everything out of whack. Boats like MB and axis win out huge b/c no one is going to bust out 100k for a turd that doesn't flush. Bad news is they can sell boats at higher prices b/c the competition is upcharging so much. Only person who loses is the consumer. I'll stick to my 10 year old boat that works and doesn't have a 100k dent to come along with it.
Old     (bjames)      Join Date: May 2012       07-17-2012, 12:28 PM Reply   
Just an example... A 2013 X-Star with full analog gauges, Manual Tower, Stand Alone Zero Off, Stand Alone Ballast with user programmed timers would definatly perk my interest. Im sure some people out there would even pay more for gauranteed reliability & longivity. I dont know who was first to come out with the LCD screen, but I would like to see MC come out with fagship boat with a 100% analog option
Old     (MattieK27)      Join Date: Mar 2010       07-17-2012, 12:57 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjames View Post
Just an example... A 2013 X-Star with full analog gauges, Manual Tower, Stand Alone Zero Off, Stand Alone Ballast with user programmed timers would definatly perk my interest. Im sure some people out there would even pay more for gauranteed reliability & longivity. I dont know who was first to come out with the LCD screen, but I would like to see MC come out with fagship boat with a 100% analog option
A boat like that would make it clear how much markup is built into the price of the base boat. In other words, don't hold your breath.
Old     (williamburell)      Join Date: Sep 2011       07-17-2012, 1:14 PM Reply   
Quote:
A boat like that would make it clear how much markup is built into the price of the base boat. In other words, don't hold your breath.
lexus has done it for years with it being blatently apparent lol
Old     (MattieK27)      Join Date: Mar 2010       07-17-2012, 1:22 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by williamburell View Post
lexus has done it for years with it being blatently apparent lol
The car industry is not comparable to the boat industry. More competitors, larger production runs, and a less labor intensive product.
Old     (williamburell)      Join Date: Sep 2011       07-17-2012, 1:27 PM Reply   
oh I guess the "lol" at the end didn't signify a joke enough. Next time I'll be more clear [/sarcasm]
Old     (MattieK27)      Join Date: Mar 2010       07-17-2012, 1:53 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by williamburell View Post
oh I guess the "lol" at the end didn't signify a joke enough. Next time I'll be more clear [/sarcasm]
Yea, my bad. Sorry, I tend to get blinders on when talking boat prices since they are so high currently. It is what the market allows I guess...
Old     (kskonn)      Join Date: Mar 2011       07-17-2012, 3:31 PM Reply   
All the high tech stuff scared the hell out of me and on the advice on the head of service at my dealership bought a 2011 X2 with the classic dash and toggle switches with the stand alone zero off controller.

Bought the boat last year and have put 279 trouble free hours on the boat, turned out to be the best advice I could get. I plan on keeping this boat for a long time.
Old     (williamburell)      Join Date: Sep 2011       07-17-2012, 3:38 PM Reply   
Agree completely. We keep buying the boats. How many new boats pop up weekly on here? Every time I'm at the lake it seems like someone has a new boat riding around.
Old     (pierce_bronkite)      Join Date: Jul 2003       07-17-2012, 4:35 PM Reply   
Same ol WakeWorld. People hating on new boats and hating the people that buy them. There sure are some creeps on here though. Damn.
Old     (williamburell)      Join Date: Sep 2011       07-17-2012, 4:51 PM Reply   
^hating on new boats? Hey man if you like paying 80k for electronics with issues you have at it. Free world. Guess Im hatin b/c Id rather have a functional boat at a 1/4 of the price. The point of having a new boat is to have a fully functional boat with great reliability. When people start talking about issues that can't be resolved the win of having a new boat is gone. I think the winners are the people buying new 50k analog boats imho.
Old     (tdc_worm)      Join Date: Sep 2002       07-17-2012, 5:39 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by boomshot View Post

I am so sick of the advance of unwanted tech on these boats. MasterCraft and Nautique are the worst about this.
wait a minute. so you are sick that companies that are in business to make money have found a market to target in order to maximize their profits rather than placate a market segment that wants to purchase products that will not result in an uplift in their average selling prices? are you also sick of porsche, lamborghini and ferrari for the prices they are asking for their cars? before you say it isnt analogous, remember that wakeboard boats are high performance luxury items, just like exotic sports cars, and as such, both are targeted to people that can afford to pay to play.

if i were building a tool, i would have my engineers build the most effective and over the top tool, sponsor top users of the tool and their top events in order to validate the tool, target market to the most capable buyers of the tool all while passing along the costs to said buyers.

Last edited by tdc_worm; 07-17-2012 at 5:48 PM.