Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (420at)      Join Date: Feb 2014       02-22-2014, 10:37 AM Reply   
Hey guys,

Found a boat nearby that looks like it has some good add-ons to it (brand new upholstery, hot/cold shower, perfect pass, heater, new CD player and speakers, wake tower with two board holders, trailer was recently went through with new wheel bearings, new tires etc). Only drawback on this boat is it has 3000 hours on it. Its a 99 Sanger V210. It also comes with two new props as well.

The guy selling it states it runs like new and is willing to get an inspection done on it, and is even offering that if a major problem happens to it in the first year, that he will buy is back for what I owe on it (obviously get this in legal writing).

Is there anything else worth looking at for around 15k-17k? Any reccomendations? All I can see for this price is dd's and I'm looking to primarily wakeboarding, surf, and do some tubing.

Thanks for any help.

Josh
Old     (boardman74)      Join Date: Jul 2012       02-22-2014, 11:10 AM Reply   
That is a ton of hours. Beyond the expected service life of the motor, trans, Vdrive and about everything else in the boat. But your right you can't get a lot of V drives for that money. Remember if you write a warranty contract and something happens, then the guy refuses to honor it, you still then have to take the guy to court and spend a bunch of money in hopes you win. A judge might make him honor it and he might say personal people are not obligated to give dealer type warranties and say its not enforceable(remember reading case law about that in business law). A warranty from a private part isn't like one from a dealer ship. What does he consider major. I'd say anything over $500 is major on that value of boat. The guy could change his number and move. Might never see him again. I guess what I am saying is the guy offering you some warranty wouldn't hold to much weight to me, I'd still only buy considering said warranty doesn't exist. Its still a 3000 hour boat. I would only pay what I would for a 1999, 3000 hour boat…don't let his offer of a warranty sway you in the decision to buy or not..or what price to pay.

Last edited by boardman74; 02-22-2014 at 11:12 AM.
Old     (Dmac420sj)      Join Date: Mar 2012       02-22-2014, 11:32 AM Reply   
Road trip to Cali. You can get one on similar condition with 1/4 of the hours
Old     (420at)      Join Date: Feb 2014       02-22-2014, 12:44 PM Reply   
Yeah, I wasn't really stuck on the warranty he's offering me at all, just seemed like a good deal with all of the bells and whistles it has and with a new interior. I'm looking for a v drive boat with a lot of the stuff this boat already has: perfect pass, heater (I live in Idaho lol), bimini top, and an open bow. Here's a link to the previous boat mentioned:

http://eastidaho.craigslist.org/boa/4333079034.html

Not much else close to me for that price with a wrap around couch, v drive and all the extras it had. I wasn't sure if I should be hung up on the amount of hours it had or not, first time boat buyer here lol.
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       02-22-2014, 12:56 PM Reply   
that is way high in my opinion for that boat with 3000 hours. should be down around 12500 or so.

Found this on salt lake craigslist.
http://logan.craigslist.org/boa/4287552561.html
Old     (jhartt3)      Join Date: Jan 2012       02-23-2014, 6:21 AM Reply   
Yeah I picked up a 99 vlx for 14.5k last fall. Only 800 hours
Old     (boardman74)      Join Date: Jul 2012       02-23-2014, 7:14 AM Reply   
If you picked up a 99 VLX with 800 hours for 14.5K then that boat is worth about 10K considering the 3000 hours. In the add the guy says its all original and how its been trouble free..constantly. Thats scares me. 3000 hours would scare me. That things a ticking time bomb in my opinion. Its way past its life expectancy and could go at any point.
Old     (420at)      Join Date: Feb 2014       02-23-2014, 11:26 AM Reply   
Cool I guess im gonna hold out on this one. Can you guys point me ina direction for what boats to look for in my price range and is v drive, with wrap around seating??

I appericiate the help
Old     (tripsw)      Join Date: May 2006       02-23-2014, 6:52 PM Reply   
You can find a Nautique Super Sport for that money. That's what I'd do.
Old     (wakebordr11)      Join Date: May 2001       02-23-2014, 8:02 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by 420at View Post
Yeah, I wasn't really stuck on the warranty he's offering me at all, just seemed like a good deal with all of the bells and whistles it has and with a new interior. I'm looking for a v drive boat with a lot of the stuff this boat already has: perfect pass, heater (I live in Idaho lol), bimini top, and an open bow. Here's a link to the previous boat mentioned:

http://eastidaho.craigslist.org/boa/4333079034.html

Not much else close to me for that price with a wrap around couch, v drive and all the extras it had. I wasn't sure if I should be hung up on the amount of hours it had or not, first time boat buyer here lol.
With that tower and 3000 hours I'd give him $5000.
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       02-23-2014, 8:11 PM Reply   
josh,

what is important to you? Is having a really great wakeboard and/or surf wake a priority for you? Are you going to use the boat mostly just for cruising, intermediate wakeboarding/surfing, pulling the kids tubing, etc?????

Here is an initial list of boats that are vdrives with wrap around seating and might be available. Keep in mind that if you are in the east Idaho area you are probably going to have to travel to find options. The most common places on the west coast to find lots of options are Seattle, Portland and the Sacramento/bay area.

-malibu Sunsetter VLX(keep in mind that some really early one's might not have wrap around seating and also that the 2001 sunsetter VLX has the diamond hull(might not be a deal breaker))
-Malibu Escape/wakesetter LSV-Might be able to find one in the 20k range.
-Nautique Supersport/SAN
-MAstercraft 205V/Xstar
-Tige 21V/23V
-Centurion Elite V/Lightning/hurricane maybe?
-Supreme V220 or whatever was the the vdrive they had before that.
-Supra 22SSV-I haven't actually seen any around 20k but maybe?
-Moomba Mobius LSV/Outback LSV/Outback V
-Moomba Mobius V-I had one of these and although very simple and lower quality finishes it was a great boat.
-Sanger V210
-Mastercraft Maristar 210vrs/230 vrs(I think those are the model designation)
Old     (NautiqueMN)      Join Date: Jun 2013       02-24-2014, 8:42 AM Reply   
Josh,
We have a 99 SAN 210 with the 502 Python, 1700hrs for $17,000 with all new interior.
Old     (420at)      Join Date: Feb 2014       02-25-2014, 4:23 PM Reply   
I saw that boat online I believe and it looked awesome^^^!

Thanks for the help guys. I just bought a 97 vlx with fat sacs, surf boards, etc etc, tower, wedge, shower, but no wrap around seating, with low hours from a buddy. Had to meet a friend coming from st. George in Salt Lake last night. Overall is a great first boat and should put out a mean wake to surf and board on for a great price
Old     (420at)      Join Date: Feb 2014       02-25-2014, 4:23 PM Reply   
Does my boat have the diamond hull? What is that lol?
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       02-25-2014, 4:41 PM Reply   
Nope. There was no diamond hull in a VLX in 1997. The diamond hull is more or less the "ski" version of the hull. Above water line the boat is the same(or very, very similar) but below the hull is different. The diamond hull has a flatter keel section and a much more pronounced outer chine.

Sounds awesome. you can always throw a cooler with a pad on top down the sides if you want a makeshift wrap around seating or you can build in the wrap around portion. It should be too hard or crazy expensive to frame in a section and have a cushion make to sit on top. Plumb in some 750's in the rear, a sack for the walkthrough ski locker and possibly a bow integrated sack. Add perfect pass and you will be all set to go.
Old     (jhartt3)      Join Date: Jan 2012       02-25-2014, 4:50 PM Reply   
Pictures. Price?
Old     (jhartt3)      Join Date: Jan 2012       02-25-2014, 4:52 PM Reply   
And make sure you go join themalibucrew.com.
Tons of great info and good people over there.
Old     (420at)      Join Date: Feb 2014       02-25-2014, 7:34 PM Reply   
Yeah I think it was a good deal. Came with wetsounds, shower, heater (says it needs a coil?), tower, ropes, wedge, teak swimdeck just stained, lifejackets, tubes, liquid force wakesurf, fatsacs, bimini top huge rear view mirror, dual axle trailer with a foldable tongue and new tires, 800 hours for 10k. Ill get some pics up soon. The outsideIis a little faded (the red part), but I detail cars on the side so hopefully I can get it shining like new.

needs some super small rips taken care of, and the rear where the motor is apparently is supposed to open up by itself, but is missing the motor that does that. Any reccomemdations where to get accessories or parts like that? Kinda slim pickins on places like ebay
Old     (tripsw)      Join Date: May 2006       02-25-2014, 7:46 PM Reply   
'97 VLX with 800 hours for 10K. Damn you! Congrats man! Need pics now!
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       02-25-2014, 9:02 PM Reply   
wow, sounds like you scored a sweet deal.

For the rips, if they are small enough and not on the seams you should be able to find a vinyl person who can color match and fix them or you can buy the kit yourself and try it. I am not sure what to do about the electric/hydraulic ram that is supposed to lift the hatch. You could try calling Paul or Andrew at Bakes in Issaquah, Wa and see what they say. I think a better option if you can figure out how to do it would be to mount dual gas shocks like what is on the back window or SUVs or hatchbacks.

For the heater core do some online research. It may be as simple as replacing the actual core with an automotive one. It is likely a heatercraft heater so you could also check with them. Again, Bakes might be able to help you with this.
Old     (petrie141)      Join Date: Jun 2012       02-25-2014, 9:18 PM Reply   
I've got a 99 vlx that sounds similar. Without the motor, how have you been lifting the hatch?
Old     (jhartt3)      Join Date: Jan 2012       02-26-2014, 3:05 AM Reply   
Check out the crew most people replace the auto hatch with gas shocks anyway. Its incredibly slow.and cuts out the stereo when you raise it 10k. Steal for a vdrive
Old     (420at)      Join Date: Feb 2014       02-26-2014, 5:50 PM Reply   
The swimdeck isn't on it right now, but it was barely stained too. First order of business is a good bath for it and to get rid of some of the oxidation

Last edited by 420at; 02-26-2014 at 5:52 PM.