Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (ponyh8r)      Join Date: Dec 2004       07-22-2010, 11:51 AM Reply   
These two boats are at the top of my wish list. Just wondering from those who have ridden behind them compare them. I have rode behind both boats, but rode behind the 230 when it first came out and the X-25 just a few weeks ago, so i didn't get a chance to really remember how they compared. I did like the X-25's wakeboard wake...alot.

What do you guys think as far as comfort, surf wake, wakeboard wake on these two boats? Just curious to see how others think they compare.
Old    mojo            07-22-2010, 12:06 PM Reply   
230 all day long. haven't seen an x-25 pull any events while i have seen the 230 pull them. also between the two you know who has been in business 85 years and that's the nautique.
Old     (MattieK27)      Join Date: Mar 2010       07-22-2010, 12:14 PM Reply   
I'm a Nautique fan, but I don't think you could go wrong with either boat. Do a sea trial of both, and I think it will become pretty clear which you prefer. If you base the decision off of spec sheets and outsider input, the decision is always more difficult. Test drives are your best bet.
Old     (Luker)      Join Date: Feb 2010       07-22-2010, 12:20 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo View Post
230 all day long. haven't seen an x-25 pull any events while i have seen the 230 pull them. also between the two you know who has been in business 85 years and that's the nautique.
Yeah the 43 years Mastercraft has been around really doesn't compare.

I'm a Nautique guy and think the 230 is the best wake I've ever ridden... its hard, big, consistent, not too wide... absolute money.... but the comment above made me laugh.
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       07-22-2010, 12:45 PM Reply   
Not that big of a deal, but if you're really into surfing, 230 would be slightly better for goofy surfing, and the X-25 for regular footed surfting, not better per say, but slightly easier to get a clean wake because of the prop rotation.

I wouldn't always base decisions on who's been around longest, a lot of times, that means they've found ways to cut costs and increase margins.

Also, the 230 is CC's flagship larger boat, MC has others so of course you won't see it pulling many events.

Both are going to be great boats, other things should come into play like dealers in the area, etc.
Old     (tdc_worm)      Join Date: Sep 2002       07-22-2010, 12:58 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by behindtheboat View Post
....slightly easier to get a clean wake because of the prop rotation.
check your facts....
Old     (tampawake)      Join Date: Mar 2008       07-22-2010, 1:05 PM Reply   
If your a hardcore wakeboard only guy I would think stick with your X Star or get the 230. But if you have other needs I think that X25 is super SWEET. So pulling a tournament is the criteria for a good boat. Come on take the blinders off.

Last edited by tampawake; 07-22-2010 at 1:11 PM.
Old     (ponyh8r)      Join Date: Dec 2004       07-22-2010, 1:17 PM Reply   
Love my Xstar, but i am getting older and my knees are shot. Really looking at something that i can still wakeboard on when i feel up to it, but that can surf well, is big enough to entertain others and just hang out on really. I am not planning on making a move until next year so there is lots of time. I have owned both Mastercrafts and Nautiques and prefer to stick with these brands.
Old     (tommyg)      Join Date: Apr 2002       07-22-2010, 1:20 PM Reply   
You're down to my 2 favorite boats on the market right now. I guess I'm a "Nautique guy", as we bought our current '02 210 brand new...but I did have an MC prior to that.

Wife and I looked at both of them at the boat show in the past couple of months. didn't get to test the wake obviously, but we were both very impressed with the X-25. Lots of space for a 21 foot boat, and some cool innovations like the flip up seats on the back. Wife thought the 230 looked pretty much like a bigger version of my '02 (i.e. nothing too spectacular about the interior). Obviously there are some nice updates since then, but that was my wife's take anyway. Nauty's not quite as much known for the "bling" factor, though they do make a great boat.

both boats look awesome to me...would lean towards the X-25 for my family's needs...if they all weren't so damn expensive!
Old     (tyler97217)      Join Date: Aug 2004       07-22-2010, 1:50 PM Reply   
I really like the x25. Seems to be a better price too from what I have seen. You can't make a wrong decision though...
Old     (nautiquesonly)      Join Date: Sep 2007       07-22-2010, 2:14 PM Reply   
We have a 236 which is the same hull as the 230 and we love it. I think MC borrowed some features and made them their own on the x 25. I have not seen the 25 in person but it is a sweet looking boat. The only thing I don't like about MC,s is all the extra stitching in the vinly which just doesn't hold up as well as plain seats. It looks cool but with heavy traffic they will fail sooner. Also I like true wrap around seating like the 230 has. It appears that the MC has a hump in the middle of the back seat kinda like the old 220 but not as pronounced. I would put it up to whether or not you want all the bling of the mc and if you prefer indmar or ilmor of the MC or PCM in the Nauti. Only problems I have had with the nauti was a fuel pump so far. My buddies with the MC,s seem mechanically solid but have all had lots of vinyl issues. I know all manufacturers have issues as they all use cheaper vinyl than they used to but all that stitching causes more trouble.
Old     (jjaszkow)      Join Date: Apr 2010       07-22-2010, 2:20 PM Reply   
You really can't go wrong with either, but my personal preference leans towards the 230. I'd give the wakeboard wake to the 230, but the X-25 is super roomy for a 21' and throws a decent wake.
Old     (dlamont)      Join Date: Apr 2003       07-22-2010, 2:25 PM Reply   
Don't know much about the 230 but the X25 is my favorite boat right now. Just image your Xstar but more room, more storage, more seating, rear facing transom seats, some new features, like surf tabs, tower cam, walk over transom, etc. In my opinion the X25 stock has a better wakeboard wake than the Xstar stock. The surf wake is killer too.

Drive and ride both. Can't go wrong.
Old     (cavlxenvy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       07-22-2010, 3:10 PM Reply   
Quote:
Not that big of a deal, but if you're really into surfing, 230 would be slightly better for goofy surfing, and the X-25 for regular footed surfting, not better per say, but slightly easier to get a clean wake because of the prop rotation.

I wouldn't always base decisions on who's been around longest, a lot of times, that means they've found ways to cut costs and increase margins.

Also, the 230 is CC's flagship larger boat, MC has others so of course you won't see it pulling many events.

Both are going to be great boats, other things should come into play like dealers in the area, etc.
I think you are backwards on your prop rotation.
Old     (cavlxenvy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       07-22-2010, 3:11 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo View Post
X-25 JUST came out. And if MC is going to have any boats pull an event, its going to be an X-Star (wake) or Pro Star (ski).

I am a Malibu guy and I saw that X-25 the other day and it made me look twice. Sick boat.
Old     (waketowake)      Join Date: Jul 2007       07-23-2010, 7:27 AM Reply   
Thinking the same thing ryan. The X-25 is sick looking, but the 230 looks nice also. I like the look of the 25 a lot more.IMO
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       07-23-2010, 8:28 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavlxenvy View Post
I think you are backwards on your prop rotation.
How so? Nautique is goofy, MC regular, right?
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       07-23-2010, 9:08 AM Reply   
I know the OP is asking about those 2 boats specifically but would the X35 be a closer comparison to the 230?

That would be awesome if the X25 had just as much or close to as much room and storage in a smaller more manageable boat.
Old     (tampawake)      Join Date: Mar 2008       07-23-2010, 9:09 AM Reply   
I am just some 40 year old dork at work and bored. From the sounds of it you want a more all around family style boat and would have to say with all the benifits that MC poured into the X25 I would go that way. When I look at the X Star and 230 I just think hard core wakeboarders which is why they pull a ton of pro events until the Murray Icon 240 comes out. I would love to be able to afford an X25 perfect family boat. I spent a day with the guys at the boarding school and they had an X25 for the day and all loved it. Tons of space and said the wake was awesome. So would agree I think your down to do you like indmar or PCM. Which dealer is better etc. Just very jealous would kill to own either.
Old     (andrew_moreton)      Join Date: Feb 2003       07-23-2010, 9:29 AM Reply   
For the prop question, Nautique switched their prop rotation a few years back and it's the same as MC now.
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       07-23-2010, 11:04 AM Reply   
did not know that. So goofy riders are screwed!
Old     (dennish)      Join Date: May 2005       07-23-2010, 12:02 PM Reply   
prop rotation is not really a factor on surf wakes except for the Centurion Enzo.
Old     (ponyh8r)      Join Date: Dec 2004       07-23-2010, 12:22 PM Reply   
Has anyone ever compared the X-25 to the X35 wake wise? Surfing and wakeboarding?
Old     (aubuchon03)      Join Date: May 2007       07-23-2010, 1:07 PM Reply   
I have been fortunate enough to have ridden behind both boats this year (X25 and X35) along with the 230 & Star. All the boats are great choices for High-end wakeboarding, but the X25 just shines a bit brighter after my experience this year.You have to go and ride behind the X25 to understand what I say below. The boat puts out the best "stock" wake I have ever ridden, and its perfectly clean all the way out (cant say that for the others). I pulled a tournament this year with the X25 and only stock ballast and judges in it. Most of the riders normally ride behind loaded X-stars and Nautiques, and were very skeptic about having enough wake. Not surprised, every rider afterwards complemented the shape and buck, and said they really were surprised by its new wake shape . By far a great boat to pull off the dealer lots and into the water, hit the factory ballast, and have a great looking boat, with some great features, and a perfect factory wake at any length.

Just my 2-cents, Hope this helps.
Old     (roughrivermike)      Join Date: Apr 2006       07-29-2010, 4:53 AM Reply   
I was at that competition of which Randy speaks^^^. The X25 was a major hit. It was the first time that most had ever ridden behind the boat and everyone loved it. I'm still an Xstar guy, but if I had to pick another wake in the line it would be the 25. I did not ride behind it, I am going with the opinions of my daughters and others at that comp.
Old     (tre)      Join Date: Jul 2002 Location: WI       07-29-2010, 8:41 AM Reply   
If you want the boat for hanging out with friends you may want the 230. You are comparing a 23 foot boat to a 21 foot boat. Even though the 230 seems very small for a 23 foot boat, I think it has a bit more room.
Old     (aubuchon03)      Join Date: May 2007       07-29-2010, 10:26 AM Reply   
Tre, this is true the lengths are different. But if your focus is on room , dont let the "length" fool you.
Just like comparing the X1 to the X2 (both boats are in the 20' boat segment but the X2 seem to be completely larger in size even though it is actually 7" inches shorter than the X1). Most of the difference is made up in the picklefork-shaped bow that opens that area up, but also the rear seats in the X25 are actually sunken into the back allowing for more cockpit space. The boat is even alot more roomier than the 22' X-star. Again you just need to hop in one and see for yourself. Once again just my 2-cents.

Last edited by aubuchon03; 07-29-2010 at 10:31 AM.
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       07-29-2010, 3:07 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew_moreton View Post
For the prop question, Nautique switched their prop rotation a few years back and it's the same as MC now.
Nautiques still back to the left. If they changed the rotation to match MC's and others, why does it still back to the left?
Old     (tdc_worm)      Join Date: Sep 2002       07-30-2010, 9:27 AM Reply   
Quote:
Nautiques still back to the left. If they changed the rotation to match MC's and others, why does it still back to the left?
in 06 correct craft switched only the 210 to the new LH rotation PCM v drive. in 07 they brought the rest of the v drive line along with the LH PCM v drive.

my 06 220 pulls to the port side when reversing. my 07 236 pulls to the starboard...
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       07-30-2010, 9:44 AM Reply   
anyone rode behind the 55?