Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through April 04, 2003

Old    wakeryderx5            03-16-2003, 9:16 PM Reply   
Is there a difference in the hull design of a 96 compared to a say 97,98 to an 03??? If so what are they and anything else you could tell me about a 96 would be helpful... thanks!
Old     (lakeaustinrider)      Join Date: Jul 2002       03-17-2003, 8:28 AM Reply   
Go to www.MalibuBoatOwners.com for more infomation about Malibu's than you would ever want. Right now they have a chart of all the Malibu models and the hull each one has.

I beleive the '96 hull is the same as '03 Wakesetter VLX.
Old     (trace)      Join Date: Feb 2002       03-17-2003, 10:53 AM Reply   
i have a 96 VLX. great boat. same hull but only 1 tracking fin - newer ones have 2 or 3. i'd say the only major diff is the dash & windshield cosmetics and the seating isn't wrap-around, but that leaves a lot of room for a huge cooler.
Old    wakeryderx5            03-17-2003, 6:08 PM Reply   
Thank yall soo much! I really appreciate it! You dont know how much it helps to hear other peoples input! LakeAustinRider the website helped a TON, Trace, do you think the open space allows for a professional job to install wrap-around-seating? Also, what is the seating capacity on an original 96 VLX? Again thanks so much!
Old     (trace)      Join Date: Feb 2002       03-21-2003, 8:02 AM Reply   
i think it could be done, but i kind of prefer my bench back seat - it leaves room for my 120 qt cooler port side, which acts as counterweight for the driver, dash, prop rotn, etc. there's easily room for 8 or 9 ppl in my boat with 1 sitting on the cooler, and i've had 12 before with no problem. my USCG sticker doesn't have a ppl/weight capacity rating, which i understand is due to the >21' length. the freeboard on this boat is great; i've never (unintentionally) swamped the bow.

one thing that irritates me about my rig is the battery location - it's in the port rear storage, makes it more difficult to evenly weight side-side.
Old     (trace)      Join Date: Feb 2002       03-21-2003, 8:03 AM Reply   
and yeah, MBO.com rocks!
Old     (g_miller)      Join Date: Dec 2002       03-21-2003, 1:56 PM Reply   
Trace, I have a 98 vlx. I just finished moving the battery from the rear to behind the observer seat. I have the wrap around seating so there is a ton of storage under there.I dont think I'll miss the space. I moved it to make room for a ballast system.

Greg
Old     (trace)      Join Date: Feb 2002       03-21-2003, 2:09 PM Reply   
sweet. that's my issue with it too; i have a 550 on each side in back - starbd fills completely, but port kinda slops over the battery & next to the hatch lift. not a huge deal, but irritating.

how long did your leads end up? i'd have to put it either inside the built-in cooler under the observer seat, or in the main storage behind it. would like to add a second batt as well, but can't decide where to fit both unless they'd both go in the cooler... oh well - this got bumped to next winter's project list anyway.

i like the tattoo graphics. how hard / expensive was that to do / have done?
Old     (g_miller)      Join Date: Dec 2002       03-21-2003, 7:36 PM Reply   
I think the leads were right around 12 ft.It was really easy. I was a little worried about the ground being longer and not working properly, so I used thicker wire.

I ordered the graphics from Sign Depot in (Dallas I think). They were right around $300. The guy there does some work for the local Malibu dealer and they highly recomended him. I did'nt think that the colors that the factory made would match my boat so I e-mailed a pic and told him that I wanted solid black tattoo with a maroon "W" to match the small stripe on my boat. It worked out pretty good and saved me around $100.

Do you have any pics?

Greg
Old    wakeryderx5            03-22-2003, 6:17 PM Reply   
Are yall happy with the wake of the VLX? And what is the best way to weight it? Ive heard some people prefer the wedge and some dont. Do yall think it helps or it is unnecessary?
Old    wakeryderx5            03-22-2003, 6:19 PM Reply   
oh yea... what tower do yall think works and looks the best on the Sunsetters?
Old     (g_miller)      Join Date: Dec 2002       03-22-2003, 6:44 PM Reply   
Elliot, I use 2 600lb sacks in the rear, 1 550lb sack in the ski locker and 4 to 6 waterbed tubes in the bow(sometimes). With 5 or 6 people that makes one hell of a wake. I love it. I dont have a wedge so I wouldnt know anything about it. I've heard it helps and I've heard that it's unnecessary, so I'd have to see for my self.

Some people might dissagree, but I love my Airboom tower. I think it looks sweet and feels solid. I have'nt had any problems with it. Plus I dont see alot of them around Ohio, I like my boat to be a little different.

Greg
Old     (trace)      Join Date: Feb 2002       03-23-2003, 7:36 AM Reply   
pics of my VLX here:
http://photos.yahoo.com/bc/tracetrimble/lst?.dir=/rig&.view=t

my ballast setup is very similar - 550s rear, twin mattress in locker, and 550 in walkthru. wake is top notch if you like the Malibu shape, and it handles weight well. (i have the Monsoon 320)

that's a custom Skyjac tower, which i really like. i also think the Skyjac universal (http://skyjac.com/tower_side_3.JPG) looks great (i rep Skyjac - can hook you up). Titan and Boss are very nice too (i hear Boss may have i$$ues, though).
Old     (trace)      Join Date: Feb 2002       03-23-2003, 7:47 AM Reply   
and here's a sweet deal on a local one:

http://adcache.boattraderonline.com/6/8/2/44191082.htm
Old     (trace)      Join Date: Feb 2002       03-23-2003, 7:49 AM Reply   
and here's another in GA:
http://adcache.boattraderonline.com/6/9/8/43254698.htm
Old    wakeryderx5            03-23-2003, 5:21 PM Reply   
hey Trace... that is so weird that you sent me that one from Austin. I am from Beaumont and i have been talkin to that guy for about a week. Hes a really nice guy, and we made a deal last Friday and I am heading up to Austin probably this weekend to make sure that everything is mechanically sound. (Ive seen pics of it and it looks great! Actually it looks just like yours (color)without the tower) Keepin the fingers crossed and hopeing to pull it home next weekend. Thats just a little weird! But again i appreciate your help! Take it easy!
Old    wakeryderx5            03-23-2003, 5:34 PM Reply   
yea i think i am liking that Titan tower. The 1 series is tight, but i do like the 2 series alot! Your tower looks reaaally good on your boat! What kind of work do you do for Skyjac? I met a guy on the internet that said he helped design the Universal tower they are producing. I think he said his name was Jacob. Im not sure if thats all true or not just wondering if you knew him. Anyway, holla back.
Old    wakeryderx5            03-23-2003, 5:41 PM Reply   
oh yea... What kind of gas mileage does your boat get? I mean, how long can you go on one tank of gas? Like ride all day, have to pull out in the middle of the day to fill up, im just wondering what i need to expect! how big is the gas tank?... thanks
Old     (g_miller)      Join Date: Dec 2002       03-23-2003, 8:05 PM Reply   
Trace, Sweet boat! I like the tower.
Is your ballast system automatic?

Elliot, good luck with the VLX. I don't think you can go wrong at a price like that on a V-drive Malibu.

Greg
Old     (trace)      Join Date: Feb 2002       03-24-2003, 6:43 AM Reply   
thanks. yes, auto ballast. 36 gal fuel tank, and i don't think i've ever used more than about 25 gal in a day of riding - like around 15+ sets. email me offline about Skyjac - tracetrimble@yahoo.com.
Old    wakeryderx5            03-29-2003, 6:30 PM Reply   
Do any of you ever have problem with the steering of your Sunsetter VLX? I just bought the boat on Friday and it is a 96, the steering is UNBELIEVABLY tight. As in its hard to turn the wheel with one hand. How is the steering set up in 96s (hydrolic/cable), and is there a way to fix this? Thanks for any help!