Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through June 02, 2007

Old     (mrdenial)      Join Date: Sep 2006       05-11-2007, 11:02 PM Reply   
So, I'm having issues asking my buds for money when we go out on my boat. It's usually just my best friend and I who ride. The rest of the people on the boat watch and maybe ride for 5 minutes or so. Of course, the other people that come on the boat are invited by my friend...

My wife is getting a little upset because no one offers gas money. I seem to remember not forking over cash when we went on my buddys boat, but then again we always brought the food and drink.

Since we have the bigger boat, there always seems to be too many people to use his boat.

Of course, we've only had the boat out like 4 times, so...it's not bothering me yet. Still, I'm going to have a hard time asking for gas money...and then again, I'm going to start getting bitter if I have to dish out $100/day on gas and no one offers to help

Maybe I should get a sticker on the boat that says something so people get the hint.

As you can tell, I'm a pushover when it comes to the money thing.
Old     (poser007)      Join Date: Nov 2004       05-11-2007, 11:08 PM Reply   
Dude Ive been the same way, I just started dropping hints last summer like man that just cost me 90 bucks to fill up and then everyone would go ohhhh yeah here a ten spot yata yata so everytime we would go out after that I would get atleast 35-40 bucks which was really nice
Old     (mcwakerider)      Join Date: Dec 2006       05-11-2007, 11:12 PM Reply   
you pay for the boat and insurance... why does everyone else get to come out and have a good time for free...? i had the same problem. And to this day i usually put most of the money down for gas, which is fine cuz i like going out and having a good time but with gas prices the way they are... everyone should chip in
Old     (mrdenial)      Join Date: Sep 2006       05-11-2007, 11:16 PM Reply   
Yea, I like to go and have fun... I like people to come with me... So, I really don't mind too much paying for most of it. But it would be nice if people chipped in a little.

It's my wife that is getting mad
Old     (mcwakerider)      Join Date: Dec 2006       05-11-2007, 11:22 PM Reply   
the other problem is that you get out there, everyone rides, you drive around and all of a sudden u need more gas... what do you do then? Pay for the gas again on the water? Absolute joke.
Old     (mrdenial)      Join Date: Sep 2006       05-11-2007, 11:29 PM Reply   
yea, see...we don't have that many people that ride right now. It's usually just scott and myself. Plus, Scott just paid for the new Sky Ski, so I feel like I shouldn't be charging him money when he's letting me use his foil.

I think as the season progresses and we have other people ride I'm going to try and get people to help with the gas.
Old     (dcdman67)      Join Date: Feb 2005       05-11-2007, 11:45 PM Reply   
My dad has this great shirt that reads "my boat doesn't run on thanks".

I love that shirt!
Old     (greatdane)      Join Date: Feb 2001       05-11-2007, 11:57 PM Reply   
Before the start the day simply ask everyone if they would mind splitting the gas bill for the day?

In the boating world, everyone understands this.
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       05-11-2007, 11:59 PM Reply   
wear a shirt that says "my boat runs on gas, not thanks."
Old     (poser007)      Join Date: Nov 2004       05-12-2007, 12:51 AM Reply   
Although before I new boating etiquette...my wife and I were invited out to the lake about 4 years ago, we had a grea time so we went our again the next weekend and then the third weekend the wife of the other guy laid out the rules for pitching in for the gas and honestly it never even dawned on us to pitch in, I guess we had never really thought about it before but when you own the boat and you are the one shelling out the moolah you need to just speak up and let people know. When she explained it to us we gladly gave them gas money.
Old     (javony)      Join Date: Oct 2006       05-12-2007, 1:48 AM Reply   
Honestly, in the boating world it is common courtesy or etiquette to offer up money for gas. That is why I am lucky that most of my friends own boats or have been on the water for years and understand. You are gonna have to eventually say something before it honestly starts pissing you off and you turn into a d*ck about it, and believe me you will at a certain point
Old     (gobigorgohome)      Join Date: Aug 2005       05-12-2007, 6:49 AM Reply   
Quote: 'Plus, Scott just paid for the new Sky Ski, so I feel like I shouldn't be charging him money when he's letting me use his foil.'

How much did the foil cost compared to your boat? And running costs?

Just say something like 'hey guys, mind helping me out with the gas costs?' They should undersatnd, otherwise time for new friends...
Old     (boarditup)      Join Date: Jan 2004       05-12-2007, 7:02 AM Reply   
Have everyone meet at the gas station. Fill up in front of everyone. Go inside and get ice and drinks. It only takes a couple of times and the pattern is set. If they chip in, great. If they don't, then it is their boat every other time.
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       05-12-2007, 7:17 AM Reply   
Fill up in the morning and tape the receipt to the inside of the windshield on the passenger side. Don't say a thing.
Old     (boarder_x)      Join Date: Mar 2006       05-12-2007, 7:31 AM Reply   
I know someone that has a large cup in one of the cup holders. It has been wrapped in felt. On the felt it says something like: "Gas fund."

Nobody asks for gas money, but for the people that can afford it, put their donation in the cup.
Old     (pierce_bronkite)      Join Date: Jul 2003       05-12-2007, 7:45 AM Reply   
Find people who are in to wakeboarding. True wakeboarders know how to help out the boat owner from cleaning, driving and gas money.

If its just the occassional neighbor or friend that comes out and rides I wouldnt stress it.
Old     (mkperceptions)      Join Date: Jan 2007       05-12-2007, 7:55 AM Reply   
The disc one of the book covers gas money. I always give my friends a copy of disc 1 and tell them "here this is so you can get some tips on how to wakeboard better" that helps sometimes. I like having my friends on the boat and since i have a 4cyl it doesnt use too much gas but when I go camping I pay for the spot and just tell people "hey its like 10 bucks for the whole weekend" and ussually if i have enough people it pays for the site and gas LOL. SOme of my friends are really good about bringing drinks and food and stuff. Some well eh. but the ones i always ride with will fill up the boat every once and a while and that really helps. If you need a copy of the book disc one let me know LOL I'll let you borrow mine and then maybe they will get it. And instead of the shirt just get a license plate frame that says "this boat doesn't run on thanks" then even before you put it in the water they will be thinking " man I need to buy some drinks, pay for the launch, or throw a little cash in the glove box" All in all I think the hardest part of boating is asking for gas money. Maybe I will write a small book on boating etiquete LOL
Old     (mrdenial)      Join Date: Sep 2006       05-12-2007, 8:16 AM Reply   
I just bought a sticker off ebay saying "this boat runs on gas not thank you's"

=)

Thanks for the offer on disk 1. I actually have it. I think all will be well as the season goes on.
Old     (woreout)      Join Date: Aug 2006       05-12-2007, 8:25 AM Reply   
I would drop hints, blame it on your wife , just say she doesnt understand why nobody pitches in for gas, then say I dont mind... but my wife... etc. etc.
Talk about the gas prices and how its killing you.
If that doesnt work then get rid of the wife.
Old     (mcwakerider)      Join Date: Dec 2006       05-12-2007, 8:33 AM Reply   
When we go up, we all usually ride in the same car. so when i pull up to the gas station i always say... "anyone wanna donate to the gas fund." Say nicely and if they dont, fill the boat up and they can feel like jerks. All my friends chip in. 25 bucks is a small price to pay for a day out on the lake.

Howeveri have a friend who has a malibu wakesetter 247 with the 8.1 liter. His dad is loaded, we never pay gas. And i am the only one who wakeboards. Its awesome lol. i always offer but nope, never takes my money.
Old     (carcrz)      Join Date: Mar 2006       05-12-2007, 8:35 AM Reply   
hahaha. Getting rid of the wife would cost way more than the fuel for the boat.
Old    xtremebordgurl            05-12-2007, 8:46 AM Reply   
I really struggled with this one last summer. I'm at the point now where when I have newbies out on the boat and I'm just explaining the no shoes thing I usually just ask for people to help out. I don't give an amount I just say whatever you can do would be greatly appreciated. Usually when people see me fill up the boat and the bill is $130 they get it. And for those who don't I have a sticker on every board that says "this boat doesn't run on thanks"
Old     (timmy)      Join Date: Jul 2001       05-12-2007, 9:03 AM Reply   
get a 2nd job to pay for the gas
Old     (mkperceptions)      Join Date: Jan 2007       05-12-2007, 9:05 AM Reply   
How about "pay to play" LOL i dont mind if people just ride in the boat or only take one 5 minute run. but if they are taking a hour worth of runs they should kick down
Old     (bennygoodx)      Join Date: Aug 2006       05-12-2007, 9:15 AM Reply   
I like paying for everything.
Old     (ord27)      Join Date: Oct 2005       05-12-2007, 9:35 AM Reply   
my situation is different I guess

the people that I normally take... work for me

I not only don't mind paying for all of the gas, I feel good about it
these people don't make near the money that I do, and I couldn't run the company without them

when my brother goes...I normally don't mind either

he has a new Harley, and lets me borrow it when I want...I used to drink his beer...etc...

he will chip in sometimes...but if he doesn't, I don't care...

the only things that ever get to me are...
....when my younger brother (lots younger ...)asks to borrow my gear so he can ride with friends...
he is newly married and just out of college(not slammin you young guys) and doesn't know how to care for stuff
he has nearly ruined a knee board, a wetsuit and I can't remember what else
and...it's never his fault
so I won't loan to him anymore, and if he rides on my boat, we always watch closely so he doesn't scuff the boat!

so for me, it's not chip in money for gas...it's treat my stuff like it's yours, and it took you years to save up to buy it...and it's the last boat/gear that you will every buy.....

but Daniel, I've always found that the whinny approach works...
....."wow guys, I'm not sure I can afford to go out as often...or take as big a crew anymore...with gas prices this high...you know, I still got those boat payments, and insurance..etc..."
or just be politely straight up..."guys if we wanna put in a couple of hundred hours of riding in this season, yall are gunna haveta help on gas..that's just the reality of it all...sorry it's like that"
...but I have found...never blame the wife...even if it is her....

sorry for the long drawn out post...........
Old     (jv210)      Join Date: Feb 2006       05-12-2007, 9:37 AM Reply   
I find it hard to ask when I'm trying to get them to come with me so I can ride. On holiday weekends, when I take the motorhome and boat, I always stop at the gas station on the way and fill both, and dont leave until I get money.
Old     (mkperceptions)      Join Date: Jan 2007       05-12-2007, 9:46 AM Reply   
hahaha, yea I guess it all depends on the circumstances. But it looks like daniel is not in a position to be paying all the time so I think that if your friends call you and ask when the next time you are going to ride is going to be just say " when i get some money for gas, its so expensive right now" or "when gas prices go down, it costs so much to fill it up " then they will ussually say " don't worry man I got 20 on it" or "I'll throw down some money for gas" something like that.
Old     (hyperlitenrd)      Join Date: Jan 2003       05-12-2007, 10:41 AM Reply   
When we go out on our boat, if we invite someone for the first time, who has never been, we just hope they dont step on the seats. But if you become part of the regular crew, you gotta start pulling your weight.
Old     (uofamox)      Join Date: Feb 2007       05-12-2007, 10:55 AM Reply   
My friend made me a jar that that says Gas Fund and also says "This boat runs on gas not friends". I put that jar on the center console of the SUV and everyone gets the point. My friends all know I spend two or three hours every morning washing, waxing and getting the boat ready to go out. I even track how much money I spend on gas. I spend between $1000 and $1500 a month on gas...after my friends pick up their jaw they have no problem coughing up $20.

Educate your friends if they have no idea how much work goes into owning a boat and going out for just one day. Once they understand how much work and $$$ it really takes to go out for a great day on the lake they will offer to help every single time. If they don't they aren't real friends.
Old     (attila916)      Join Date: Oct 2005       05-12-2007, 10:57 AM Reply   
I would suggest meeting them in a parking lot, then going to the gas station... If they see you pumping in $100 into the boat, then another $80 into the truck they might get the idea...

If not, get some new "boat" friends.
Old     (jkuzma)      Join Date: Mar 2007       05-12-2007, 11:10 AM Reply   
Yeah I agree, get some new friends or move up to AK...lol I don't own a boat but I always throw down no matter how long I get to sesh.
Old     (duffy)      Join Date: Feb 2006       05-12-2007, 11:30 AM Reply   
My feelings our that gas prices are high and riders need to chip in more money. 20$ does not cut it anymore. I have riders chipping in 40$ now and those who do not contribute more will lose there ride. I have to trailer my boat 85 miles round trip twice a week plus fuel in the boat,payment,service,repairs,etc. If I was rich I would not care, but Im not so I depend on the help with the fuel. When I started this sport all my friends assured me they would help with the fuel,cleaning,maintenance and even payments if I bought a boat, funny how quickly people forget what they said.
Old     (dluttr)      Join Date: Jun 2006       05-12-2007, 12:51 PM Reply   
I'm going out on the lake anyway, so I never have asked my friends/acquaintances for gas money. If they offer to pay, I've always refused.

With gas prices so high though, I can understand why you would feel the need for riders to chip in.
I just never have. Maybe someday...
Old     (shiznizzle)      Join Date: Aug 2004       05-12-2007, 1:34 PM Reply   
Dude it is totally reasonable to ask for gas money. If someone is kind enough to offer me a ride behind there boat, chipping in for gas money or at least offering is a no brainer.

The only people who could be excused for not offering are newbies and if they think its unreasonable to chip in, well this is not the sport for them.

Prior to riding I explain to anyone new that I expect a contribution to gas.
Old    sealyon.net            05-12-2007, 2:46 PM Reply   
Tell them up front the only thing I ask is that we all split the gas.
Old    alanp            05-12-2007, 3:05 PM Reply   
i think the sticker thing is a little tacky. people that rarely ride with me i wouldnt be offended but the regular crew has been told the gas bill isnt falling soley on my shoulders. if you wanna ride youre gonna pay
Old     (rudebob)      Join Date: May 2006       05-12-2007, 3:11 PM Reply   
I feel blessed that I can afford the gas and don't have to rely on others to make a weekly trip to the lake. Usually it is my teenage son and a few of his friends-so I am glad I can give them a good time. Other times it is friends of mine...sure sometimes I think if would be nice if people would offer a few bucks just for the thought (i would turn them down, or at the most, maybe let them play for the lake entry of $6.00).

But a couple years back I decided that I would develop the attitude that I have would no longer have any expectations about getting gas money-that way I could still have a good time and not let resentment get in the way. Ever since then it has never bothered me.

Let's face it, boating is a luxury. If I have to take food out of my kids mouth to feed my sport it is time to sell the boat and buy a frisbee. I am glad I can give others an opportunity to experience wakeboarding who could never do it on their own.

'bob
Old     (fuller313)      Join Date: Oct 2006       05-12-2007, 4:09 PM Reply   
I am 26 years old and owned a 06 malibu vlx. I do alright in the money catagory but not good enough to sponsor everybody. I just told my friends it is gonna be at least $15. Also I brought the goodies and drinks. (I own a vending company) Also I told them about all the costs(storing, gas, insurance) and I really never had a problem.
Old     (jakoerber)      Join Date: Jul 2004       05-12-2007, 6:56 PM Reply   
My buddies parents own a boat, we usually take it out. We are mostly all 18's and 17s. Everyone pretty much knows the deal we all pitch in 20 dollas, thankfully the boat only costs 60-80 to fill up. 20 dollars isnt much to ask, maybe like 1 hour of someones work week for an entire day at the lake. Most of us are still in high school but without many expenses its very easy, but if you dont brin gmoney you usally aint coming
Old     (dluttr)      Join Date: Jun 2006       05-12-2007, 7:21 PM Reply   
Bob, I agree with you 100%. Most of the time I just take my teenage son and his friends out also. In fact, most of the time, I'm the only adult on the boat.

While I can afford the gas, I like to show everyone a good time and introduce the sport to them.
Old    live2wakeboard            05-12-2007, 9:50 PM Reply   
Ya When my friends ask if we can go to the lake i just simply say i dont have any gas and ppl just start throwin out money..
Old     (hal2814)      Join Date: Feb 2006       05-14-2007, 6:14 AM Reply   
Back in high school, a friend of mine had one of those "Boat runs on gas, not thanks" cups. One day I filled the cup with gas for him. I did put my $10 in there first (gas was only about $1.10/gallon back then). :-) Personally, I always offer gas money (or more often actual gasoline) in other people's boats. I never ask but always accept in mine. I'm out there to have fun. Letting something like gas money get on my nerves just isn't going to accomplish that.
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       05-14-2007, 6:47 AM Reply   
If everyone else only rides for 5 minutes, how much gas could they be using? Sounds like you're getting free ballast.
Old     (d_rock)      Join Date: Jun 2003       05-14-2007, 8:12 AM Reply   
i went to home depot and purchased one of those clear holder things that you squeeze and the end opens up. I took a sharpie and wrote "GAS FUND" and it hangs around the boat so people get a clue. I sometimes leave a dollar or two in it so they see cash. seems to work and brings up the discusion of what a money pit a boat is...
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       05-14-2007, 8:43 AM Reply   
So what do you do when someone (who rides a decent amount) finally throws down, and it's a $5? I laughed and said "Thanks for the gallon". Am I a jerk? Really, with prices this year its more about taking people that don't wanna ride, just watch.
Old     (timmyb)      Join Date: Apr 2007       05-14-2007, 8:50 AM Reply   
Yeah, $5 isn't gonna cut it this year! Normally I am fine if the others bring the beer. This year, I think they are going to need to bring some beer and some loot! I talked my brother (who goes almost every single time) into getting a full size crew-cab truck so he can tow the boat to the lake a few times (47 miles each way) to help me cover that part at least!
Old     (bobbynipper)      Join Date: Feb 2007       05-14-2007, 10:56 AM Reply   
I have an 04 Supra. I agree with others who do not ask for or expect gas money. If they offer great. Maybe buy lunch or beer. I am not strapped to pay for gas I guess. Especially if you are going anyway. lol
Old     (bmartin)      Join Date: Jan 2007       05-14-2007, 11:23 AM Reply   
I think the signs, t-shirts, and tip jars are a bit weasly. You can try the hints or just ask for the money politely if it is important to you or your spouse. Better yet have your wife ask - women often can ask for things nicer. Any person you would want to have on your boat shouldn't have a problem with this.

I think the gas money thing is situational though. I never expect money from coworkers, non-boating friends, or my sons friends, but then again they may ride in the boat a couple of times a year so it is no big deal. Now a regular riding crew - different story.

I get where your wife is coming from. Imagine if she had a weekly friends bar night and ALWAYS paid for ALL the drinks.
Old     (bftskir)      Join Date: Jan 2004       05-14-2007, 11:38 AM Reply   
old school saying:
ass, grass, or gas, nobody rides for free
Old     (luchog)      Join Date: Jun 2002       05-14-2007, 11:43 AM Reply   
HEre's what I do

Since my boat has a small gas tank (1980 SN), I wont take anyone riding who doesnt bring their own gas, and in function of the amount of gas they bring their time in the water.

Non riding-passengers have a small gas fee too, and ALL who comes brings something to eat/drink.

The only exceptions I make are for my 2 loyal riding buddies and my GF.
Old     (bcrider)      Join Date: Apr 2006       05-14-2007, 11:49 AM Reply   
I have a sticker on the cross bar of my tower beside the drivers seat.

"MY BOAT RUNS ON GAS NOT THANKS"

I don't see why everyone tries to ask for money without really askiing. They ain't gonna give it unless they are told too. All my buds hand me cash on a regulare basis, somehow they understand that I have spent thousands to get on the water they can give some $$$$ to stay out on the water. I have been out 3 times so far because my year has just started and I haven't been able to pay for gas yet, all my friends keep paying. I also added FAE, 2 new racks, rewired the whole stereo, did all of the maintenance for the year. Don't get me wrong I know people that don't like to pay either....they don't get invited anymore. I guess I just don't understand what is so hard about this.
Old     (jv210)      Join Date: Feb 2006       05-14-2007, 11:58 AM Reply   
Not to sound like a a**, but it sounds like some of you buy boats and expect others to pay for gas and other things involved with it. I bought a boat to have fun, and If I get some money for gas thats great, but I dont expect it. If you can afford the boat, you should be able to afford the gas period. Do some of you ask people to go out with you, and expect gas money?? It just doesn't sound right.
Old    walt            05-14-2007, 12:05 PM Reply   
Jason,

I bought a boat to have fun too but I'm not a wakeboarding sponsor. If you ever need a third hit me up !

On my boat newbie's ride for free but regulars need to cough up at least 10.00 a set or you won't be asked back.

When I ride with others I try to over pay most of the time just to show my appreciation and that I GET IT.
Old     (jv210)      Join Date: Feb 2006       05-14-2007, 12:15 PM Reply   
when you drive you friends somewhere in your car, do you expect them to give you money? I dont. If someone were to ask me to take them out boarding, thats one thing, I have them fill the tank, but I'm the one usually asking for people to come with me.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       05-14-2007, 12:16 PM Reply   
hosting a weekend or day on the lake is one thing. Newbs are another thing. but, you don't get to be a regular unless you understand a few things. the cost of a day on the water is part of it. so is wiping the boat down and helping out while you're out there.

But we're out there several times a week. not 3 times a year.
Old     (jv210)      Join Date: Feb 2006       05-14-2007, 12:20 PM Reply   
I guess thats were I'm a little different, I dont go out several time a weeks, If I did I would be asking for money from the riding crew. I go out 5-6 times a month and it's not that bad.
Old    walt            05-14-2007, 12:28 PM Reply   

quote:

when you drive you friends somewhere in your car, do you expect them to give you money?

If I offer to drive on a long road trip you bet your ass.

Jason,
I'm not sure what your gas consumption is but I'm dropping 150.00 minimum every weekend during the summer on gas. The bottom line is it's a hobby and I'm not paying for yours.
Old     (ronnyboy27)      Join Date: Nov 2005       05-14-2007, 12:29 PM Reply   
I went out yesterday with a guy I met on wakeworld and I gave him 40 for gas. He was all suprised so I explained to him my theory that the boat owner is paying for payments, wear and tear, insurance, detailing etc. He/she should never have to pay for the gas. Even though I own a boat and we plan on switching every week. What if we don't? I wouldn't want anyone to think I'm not contributing my fair share. I freaking Hate it when people don't offer.
Old     (jv210)      Join Date: Feb 2006       05-14-2007, 12:49 PM Reply   
walt, I see your point. I dont wakeboard all day on my boat sacked out, so I dont spend that kind of money. TO fill my tank is over 160, and I do it probably twice a month.
Old     (houdini)      Join Date: Aug 2005       05-14-2007, 12:51 PM Reply   
i usually pay for gas, but the people i ride with seem to understand that when i am at the pump, they go in, get ice, beverages and snacks. i am paying more than they are, but it is a nice gesture. every once in a while they will throw in for gas, but i don't make it a requirement. then they help wipe it down and clean the boat. that is enough for me.

it is going to depend on your situation and your friends financial situation. there is a reason you own the boat. it is either that you love it more, or you have more money. i would rather have fun out there and buy gas than have friends that can't come cause they can't throw me $20s all the time.
Old     (thor)      Join Date: Oct 2001       05-14-2007, 1:47 PM Reply   
First timers, or people who are just along for the ride are never expected to pay for gas on my boat. If you are a regular rider though that goes out every time that I do, then you need to share in the expense of filling up the boat. I'm lucking to ride with a group of 6 or 7 riders that all appreciate the cost of owning a boat so everyone kicks in at least $20 for a day on the water.
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       05-14-2007, 1:57 PM Reply   
The best thing to do is get four 5-6gal gas cans, everyone meet at your place, whereever, then go to the gas station and everyone fill up one. This was my everyday throughout college, and it was never a problem.
Old     (wakemb)      Join Date: Mar 2006       05-14-2007, 2:38 PM Reply   
When I was at the boarding school a pro (i won't say a name) showed up for a pull and brought a 5 gallon gas can.
Old     (tnctryboy)      Join Date: Aug 2006       05-14-2007, 3:15 PM Reply   
i always come with at least 20-30 to help pay for gas to help out then make sure to help clean up and unload the gear off the boat.

(Message edited by tnctryboy on May 14, 2007)
Old     (cougar1)      Join Date: Aug 2006       05-14-2007, 3:56 PM Reply   
My crew actually told me ahead of time (since I was worried about gas prices) that since I pay for the boat and insurance, they will cover the gas. On of the guys even gave me half of the money for a members only lake here in town. It is nasty water, but you get glass all day.
Old     (bcrider)      Join Date: Apr 2006       05-14-2007, 4:07 PM Reply   
If I could easily afford to take my friends any day of the week and ride as much as they want then I would and I would feel great being able to do it....but unfortunatly I can't. When gas was cheaper same thing, wasn't such an issue but now that it is more I don't think it should be a burden on just my pocket.
Old     (steve_jones)      Join Date: Jun 2006       05-14-2007, 4:15 PM Reply   
I only read the top post so this may have been covered. You HAVE TO SET THE CORRECT EXPECTATIONS. When people roll out on my boat, they know it's $10/bucks a set, period. I am a little pushover if they fall a lot or if they surf after they ride but in general $10 bucks almost covers their gas if the boat is loaded down. I pick up the difference. If you really wanted to have everyone cover their own riding, you'd have to charge $15 a set (or more). Each average set uses 5 gallons when the boat is loaded, 3 if not. With gas creeping up to $3.50 or more in some places, you can do the math.

Of course, I always pick up the boat launch and towing, and I keep drinks in the boat. This could add up as well, but this isn't a cheap sport.

Bottom line: You wouldn't pay for your buddies lift ticket snowboarding. No difference in a boat. If they don't pitch in, find new peeps to ride with.
Old     (drewdown)      Join Date: Jun 2006       05-14-2007, 4:24 PM Reply   
F it. This is what you say, "Hey can you guys break bread for some gas?"

F it, if they are your friends then they wont mind paying, if they aren't then they shouldnt be on your boat to begin with.
Old     (rmcronin)      Join Date: Aug 2002       05-15-2007, 3:37 AM Reply   
When someone asks to come out to ride, say, "Sure, just bring a 5 gallon tank of gas." What sucks is when the gas situation creates tension with people you may get along great with outside of the water. If they're not in your shoes, they won't fully understand the expense. I've had to limit my crew to family and friends who pay(1) and friends with boats that we swap with(2).
Old     (qball)      Join Date: May 2007       05-17-2007, 9:48 AM Reply   
We had the same problem and heres how we handled it...

Talk to a couple of your close friends and tell them you cannot afford to keep funding everyone's weekend. Ask them to spread the word that there will be a 'gas kitty' from now on and that as owner of the boat you shouldnt have to pay. We put a large vase next to the door leading to the boat and it became kind of a joke that everyone had to throw a 10 or 20 in there before getting on the boat. Most people understand, they just dont think of it so doing something fun like that reminds them and if they are offended then ask yourself if you really want people like that on your boat...

Old     (mastercraft1995)      Join Date: Nov 2002       05-17-2007, 10:55 AM Reply   
For me I've planted the seed with the people I take out.

Free rides are over period. If you want to ride behind my boat your going to have to pay. If you don't like it go find another boat or buy your own boat and you can drag me around the lake all day and see how empty your wallet is at the end of the day. Gas is $5 a gallon and I burn through 6 to 7 gallons an hour with you riding behind my boat. Yep, that's right $35 an hour for you to use my boat and drink my drinks. The free ride is over.

I had a $700 dollar boat gas bill last year that not one person helped out with. No, I didn't ask for gas money. Pay to play this year.
Old     (big_ed_x2)      Join Date: Jul 2004       05-17-2007, 11:21 AM Reply   
It's tough asking for money but I'll tell you from experience,it gets easier and easier,the more money you spend the easier it get's.
Since gas prices are where they are,I'm surprised there's even a thread about difficulty for asking for money.

In 2005 I had regular $1,400.00 a month for gas and that's just including my truck and MY boat,not when I go on somebody else's boat.

Since then I don't really ride that much....

OHH since we are on the subject....to anybody that's being a tight ass,pay up you loser!
Old    mcnoob            05-17-2007, 11:28 AM Reply   
Simple. No gas money.... No ride! They wont respect you any less for it!..