Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through April 09, 2007

Old     (wakeboard19)      Join Date: Apr 2005       04-02-2007, 9:09 AM Reply   
What is the wake difference in size and quality for wakeboarding between the vlx with the wake hull and with the v25 diamond hull. I know the diamond is more of the crossover but how do they compare.
Old     (dizzyg)      Join Date: May 2005       04-02-2007, 10:37 AM Reply   
I had the opportunity to ride both! We got a VLX with a diamond when they screwed up. They let us keep it for a month and a half until they could get us the wake hull. It was an '06 VLX.

I would say there is no comparison. We filled up the stock ballast in the diamond (front, rear, mid) and dropped the wedge and it was alright. We added weight front and rear rode with and without the wedge and it was pretty good.

We got the wake hull, filled the stock ballast and dropped the wedge and I would go so far as to say it was almost double!

We had the diamond hull with probably 800-900 lbs extra in the trunks and another 200-300 in the nose without the wedge, it wasn't great. We do the same in the wake hull now, with maybe 300 in the nose extra without the wedge and it's fantastic.

If you do lots of SERIOUS skiing, you might want to consider it. If you have friends that don't run a course that might want to go for a run behind your VLX, they'll be fine. I've skied behind ours, it's not bad. I wouldn't think you'd run a course behind it, but most people don't anyway. If you wakeboard most of the time and don't really care about SERIOUS skiing, you'll be fine. For a casual skier, they don't need a tiny wake like a casual wakeboarder doesn't need a big wake.

You could always try riding a similar sized sunscape or whatever it is with the V-drive and a diamond hull, see what you think.
Old     (iagainsti)      Join Date: Apr 2004       04-02-2007, 10:49 AM Reply   
I have a 06 VLX non-diamond but havent seen the diamond hull at work and in person. I have heard from others its quite substantial. You might find better info from The Malibu Crew site.
Old     (dluttr)      Join Date: Jun 2006       04-02-2007, 4:12 PM Reply   
I just ordered an 07 VLX with the Diamond Hull. I take alot of different people out during the Summer. Some want to ski, but most want to wakeboard, so I opted for a cross over Wakesetter with the Diamond Hull.

I demo'ed the Sunscape with the 500 lbs ballast and the Power Wedge down. I was pulling a wakeboarder and he thought the wake was great....so I'm sure 1250 lbs of ballast + the Power Wedge will be fine with the Diamond Hull.
Old     (dizzyg)      Join Date: May 2005       04-03-2007, 7:50 AM Reply   
David,
We did a lot of playing around with the power wedge in the diamond hull VLX and extra weight. It seemed to need even more than the wake hull up in the front. Riding with the wedge half up/down seemed to do different things too, didn't have the same effect with the wake hull.
Old     (hymaeringo)      Join Date: Jul 2004       04-03-2007, 1:41 PM Reply   
we call them fakesetters
Old     (dizzyg)      Join Date: May 2005       04-03-2007, 1:42 PM Reply   
that's awesome! PERFECT NAME!
Old     (jordanb05)      Join Date: Oct 2006       04-03-2007, 2:14 PM Reply   
Why not look into a XTi?
Old     (dluttr)      Join Date: Jun 2006       04-03-2007, 5:35 PM Reply   
Brooke:
Thanks for your input. Compared to the 02 Sunsetter LXi, I'm selling, with the wedge and 500 lbs Fat Sac, the wake should be great for our family/friends on the diamond hull VLX.

Any additional input is appreciated..pro or con.
Old     (dizzyg)      Join Date: May 2005       04-03-2007, 6:03 PM Reply   
Here are pictures from the first weekend with the "fakesetter"
http://www.dizzyg.net/photos/thumbnails.php?album=129&page=1
sorry that there aren't a lot of wake shots, just riding. That first gallery is probably stockish (full ballast and wedge)

http://www.dizzyg.net/photos/thumbnails.php?album=130
this gallery is when we started moving extra weight around in the "fakesetter"

I believe that the rest of this is a real wakesetter hull. It took us a while to find the sweet spot with ballast. We'll be out in the next couple of weeks, so maybe I can get some good wake shots.
http://www.dizzyg.net/photos/thumbnails.php?album=131

http://www.dizzyg.net/photos/thumbnails.php?album=132

I didn't post any pictures from '06, or many anyway. I guess I should get on that one of these days.

I'd still go with the regular wake hull, but you'll get a good wake out of the diamond, it'll just take more extra weight!

We went from a '95 sunsetter direct drive to the '06, that was an insane and scary wake difference
Old     (dluttr)      Join Date: Jun 2006       04-03-2007, 7:15 PM Reply   
Jordan:
I looked at the XTi. However, I don't want a boat over 21.6 feet long and the XTi is 23 ft. I know the XTi would be a great cross over boat though.

I'll probably just stay with the Fakesetter ;) VLX with the diamond hull and power wedge + 1250 lbs of ballast. I'm sure my 14 year old son and his friends will be pleased.

I'll keep you posted.
Old     (lionel)      Join Date: Nov 2005       04-03-2007, 8:05 PM Reply   
David, they make a 21 ft XTI, too......
Old     (jordanb05)      Join Date: Oct 2006       04-04-2007, 3:00 PM Reply   
I really like my 21XTi so far for a cross over. The wake at 36 is much like the response except that it is taller in my opinion and it can produce a nice wake for wakeboarding when loaded and wedge down.

I personally wouldnt go with the diamond hull because i think it would mess with the shape of ur wake IMO

(Message edited by jordanb05 on April 04, 2007)
Old     (dluttr)      Join Date: Jun 2006       04-04-2007, 3:20 PM Reply   
Jordan,

Thanks for the enlightening feedback. I didn't realize the XTi came in 21 foot. I'll probably just stay with the VLX though. It will go into production April 20th, so I guess there's still time to change the hull. Main reason I wanted the Diamond Hull was because I take a variety of different riders (skiers & boarders), out all summer, so I thought it would be a decent crossover boat. The dealer recommended it.