Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through April 04, 2003

Old     (bbeach)      Join Date: Jul 2002       03-14-2003, 7:38 AM Reply   
I've needed to recover the observer seat in my Prostar for about a season now, but I kept puting it off because really the only problem was that the stiching was starting to separate. But finally I got around to doing it and I asked my local vinyl guy about the cost. Mastercraft sells a skin ready to sew on for $105 just for the observer seat. I thought this was outrageous, so I called Mastercraft and got the color code for my year and hull# and had my MC dealer just order me the vinyl in a roll. I got 6 square yards for about $8 a yard ($48 + $15S&H), which is more than enough to recover my entire interior for half of what it would have cost me to buy one skin for my observer seat. Labor having it sewed on ran me about another $45, so all in all if you have a torn seat or are in need of a vinyl repair just take the time to get part numbers and order the vinyl from the dealer and SAVE A LOT OF MONEY! Not to mention having vinyl left over, just in case you need some down the line!

Just thought I'd pass this tip onto you guys so nobody falls prey to boat companies ridiculous prices! Oh and in case someone is looking for somebody to repair boat interiors I highly recomend G & J Auto Trim in Olathe, KS 913-782-7642, they are the best in the business(mho)!
Old     (jeffr)      Join Date: May 2002       03-14-2003, 8:07 AM Reply   
If you don’t have a local MC dealer that is convenient to your area… you can also call Rambo Marine in TN 800-844-3590. They can reference your VIN and check color codes to get any matching vinyl or accent piping that you want.

I first tried my local MC dealer but they did not seem to know if they could just get matching fabric. Then I called MC in TN to check on getting fabric directly so I could make a playpen style cushion for my bow. I told them the local MC dealer was too far of a drive and that I wanted to order it on line or over the phone. They referred me to Rambo Marine.
Old     (wiltok)      Join Date: Feb 2003       03-14-2003, 9:09 AM Reply   
I have an 88 MC - do they have the vinyl from that far back? If so, awesome solution to this problem - I am faced with re-skinning the observers and drivers seat.
Old     (wiltok)      Join Date: Feb 2003       03-14-2003, 9:10 AM Reply   
Duh - just noticed in your profile that you have an older model too - thanks!!
Old     (bbeach)      Join Date: Jul 2002       03-14-2003, 11:25 AM Reply   
Keith:
Mine is a 1990 MC but I'm sure since the models are very similiar that they probably carry the vinyl for an 88 as well! Good luck! Order enough to do your whole boat, you never know when they might discontinue the color or stop carrying it.

Just a suggestion.
Old     (wiltok)      Join Date: Feb 2003       03-14-2003, 11:35 AM Reply   
Good suggestion - thanks again! The best part is that I have neighbor that just moved in. He does upholstery - told me to get the vinyl and he would do it for me fir nuthin'.
Old    6more            03-14-2003, 11:38 AM Reply   
Normally you can find a local shop that will do it just as Bradley did. It definitely is much cheaper than buying skins from MC. Even if you can match the color exactly, most times it will be close enough that no one will notice. If you are doing the whole boat, it doesn't matter anyway. I had not heard about ordering the vinyl from MC, but that is a good idea. I assume it will be more expensive than getting your local dealer to order it from their supplier, but at least you know what you are getting.
Old    blackhawk            03-14-2003, 8:21 PM Reply   
One of the kids in my dad's class's dad owns a vinyl and uphostery repair place and did a few things for us. The previous owner's son dropped his wakeboard on the back of the engine cover and the fin sliced a hole in it. He put some vinyl repair junk on it but it started to crack again. We took it in to this guy and he repaired it, you can't even tell it was there! It probably would be good to get all the little things fixed too.
Old     (bbeach)      Join Date: Jul 2002       03-17-2003, 6:52 AM Reply   
I couldn't get any colors to match from the samples at my upholstery guys shop, which is why I ordered from MC. I'll get a pic of the recovered seat when I get it back and post it.

It's warming up here! I can almost feel the water under my feet! YEAH!
Old     (bbeach)      Join Date: Jul 2002       03-19-2003, 6:10 AM Reply   
Here is the seat recovered! G & J Auto trim did an excellent job and I've very impressed with the end result. To date I've got $48 in the vinyl from MC and $69 in labor to get the seat recovered. Total bill: $107 and I've got enough vinyl left over to do the whole interior if it needed it.
Reminder: Mastercraft wanted $105 just for ONE seat skin

Old     (jeffr)      Join Date: May 2002       03-19-2003, 8:09 AM Reply   
Looks good. Did you use new foam padding or just re-cover the original stuff?
Old     (bbeach)      Join Date: Jul 2002       03-19-2003, 8:22 AM Reply   
They steamed the foam, which apparently adds moisture back into it and returns the foam to its original size and they added some new foam as well. I know that it is alot better than it was.