Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (P10_WRC)      Join Date: Feb 2017       02-28-2017, 9:42 AM Reply   
Hello All,

I am looking to get my first wakeboard/surf boat and found a nice 2007 Centurion Typhoon for $39k. Is that a fair price? The boat is in amazing shape with 190 hours.

Will I be able to surf behind it with the stock ballast system or will i have to upgrade anything?

Also, what are your opinions of Supra boats? I found a 2007 22ssv for $34k as well and it is in pretty good shape too.

Thanks,
Marty
Old     (iShredSAN)      Join Date: Apr 2012       02-28-2017, 10:36 AM Reply   
Hate to plug but I have an 09 Super Air Nautique Team Edition for sale for $34k (will let go for less). Upgraded ballast and stereo... Great surf wave

https://austin.craigslist.org/boa/6002388107.html
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       02-28-2017, 10:45 AM Reply   
OP both seem high, but could be close depending on your location. newer nautique for less ^^ should tell you something.

nice boat connor
Old     (P10_WRC)      Join Date: Feb 2017       02-28-2017, 10:51 AM Reply   
thanks for the replies. I am looking for something 22-24 foot because i have a lot of friends and four kids myself. i've been looking and there isn't much in my area (Arizona) at all under $40k.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       02-28-2017, 11:08 AM Reply   
boats of that era are gonna need either 2 tons of ballast and/or a wave shaper, so finding a surf ready boat is going to be tough. be ready to add ballast
Old     (jonblarc7)      Join Date: Jul 2006       02-28-2017, 11:28 AM Reply   
That 210 is a much nicer boat and the 210 will feel just as big a the 22ssv. I have a 24 foot supra and I have a friend that used to have an 08 210 and to be honest the 210 didn't feel that much smaller inside than my 24v
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       02-28-2017, 11:35 AM Reply   
there's a 230 for sale in PHX for 22K
Old     (Stazi)      Join Date: Sep 2011       02-28-2017, 1:58 PM Reply   
$39k is a lot for an 07
Old     (2004gravitygames)      Join Date: Mar 2011       02-28-2017, 5:37 PM Reply   
I may have a biased opinion since I like Skiers Choice products. I am only chiming in because I have had both boats. Last summer I had a 2008 Nautique 210 Team Edtion with the ZR6 It was my least favorite boat to date. Wake, Interior space, surf wave I really didn't like it at all It felt like a quality boat but it just lacked in certain areas for me. Which is weird because I research everything and this boat has a proven hull for over a decade of use. It just didn't work for me and my family. I would choose the Supra over the Nautique I know alot of people will disagree but that is my opinion coming from someone who has had both. Best way to describe it some people like ford and some people like chevy its all in what you want I guess. I appreciate Nautique and the history they have in watersports but the 2008 didn't work for me.
Old     (2004gravitygames)      Join Date: Mar 2011       02-28-2017, 5:38 PM Reply   
post picks of supra for $34k
Old     (nailem)      Join Date: Apr 2011       02-28-2017, 5:48 PM Reply   
I don't know all the differences between all the Nautique but my buddy has a 08' 236 and it sucks. It rids like crap and surfs worse. We added a 1100lb bag over the stock tanks and it still sucks. Put a 1100 in the back locker of the Centurion and you will be fine. Add a pump if you want more speed. 39k does seem a little high but it does have really low hours for its age.
Old     (jonblarc7)      Join Date: Jul 2006       03-01-2017, 5:26 AM Reply   
236 and 230 are the same hull. 230 was marketed as a serious wake boat and the 236 was more of a cross over boat. They also came with different towers, Liked the 236 tower better.
Old     (iShredSAN)      Join Date: Apr 2012       03-01-2017, 5:57 AM Reply   
If you weren't able to get a great wave out of the 210 or 230 you def were not weighting correctly. Plain and simple.
Old     (davez71)      Join Date: Oct 2007       03-01-2017, 6:56 AM Reply   
39K for a 2007 Centurion?

That's just crazy. That boat isn't worth that IMO

Also, if you plan on wakeboarding, the wake will be super wide and very mellow. I have riden a centurion from that year a bunch and the wakeboard wakes are not very good. The newer models have changed that a bit, but these boats are built for wakesurfing.
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       03-01-2017, 7:23 AM Reply   
Too high, I would pass.
Old     (TNwakeboarder86)      Join Date: Sep 2016       03-01-2017, 7:36 AM Reply   
IMO I would spend less on an older boat and use the funds for the toys, the surf boards, the wake boards, the ballast. I have been boarding and surfing behind an older supra 05, 24 ft launch, we love it. With the right ballast and wake shaper you can make a good surf wake. It has great wake for wake boarding. I just bought 04 Malibu wake setter, got it for an amazing deal, and used what I saved on the toys, new life jackets, wake board, and materials to make my own wake surf boards. I also bought new bigger ballast as well. Just my thoughts but save money if you are buying older. If you wanted a decent centurion there was an 04 for 15,000 that you could have really stocked up well.

Just MY Opinion.
Old     (BoardCo)      Join Date: Mar 2010       03-01-2017, 8:23 AM Reply   
$39k for a 2007 Typhoon is slightly high but not out of the question depending on condition, hours, equipment. In some areas of the country that may appear to be high but here in Utah we would probably list that boat for $39k if we were selling it.

As far as the surf wave it will be decent with stock ballast (if they have the two rear tanks) and really good if you upgrade the ballast to soft sacs which isn't very expensive. The Typhoon will throw out a better surf wave than just about any other boats from the 2011 and earlier era. The only boat that is a better surf boat is an Enzo but not by a lot. It will definitely surf better than the Supra you mentioned.

The wakeboard wake on the Typhoon is also really good - anyone that would say anything otherwise hasn't ridden behind a Typhoon / Avalanche (they run the same hull design). It is NOT the same hull as the Enzo which is what most people have experienced. On that note though the Enzo can throw a solid wakeboard wake if you set it up properly.

If you can get them to drop the price closer to $35k that would be a decent pick - $39k is a bit high but if you really like the boat and it is in that good of shape it isn't out of the question based on the current 23 foot boat market.

Hope that helps.
Old     (nailem)      Join Date: Apr 2011       03-01-2017, 8:59 AM Reply   
Are you sure the Typhoon is stock? It may already have a 750lb in the rear locker and pump. If that is the case I would offer them 36-37k.
Old     (getssum)      Join Date: Jul 2005       03-01-2017, 10:42 AM Reply   
Might be worthwhile to spend some time looking at Centurioncrew.com as well. There's a lot of people who had that boat and have upgraded to newer models.

Also look at onlyinboards.com, there are quite a few boats in your area.

A Tige 24V wouldn't be a bad choice either, the boat can throw a MEAN surf wave.
Old     (P10_WRC)      Join Date: Feb 2017       03-01-2017, 12:38 PM Reply   
So the boat is not stock. He just spent some money putting in two 750 fat sacs and high flow pumps in the rear and a fixed wake plate. I will take a look at it this weekend and offer him $35k or so. If he will sell it for that price i am going to get it. There are NO boats here in AZ that are 23 feet for that price.
Old     (mark197)      Join Date: Dec 2009       03-01-2017, 1:38 PM Reply   
Here are a few other options.
https://phoenix.craigslist.org/evl/boa/6003807491.html
https://phoenix.craigslist.org/evl/boa/6008576461.html
Old     (nailem)      Join Date: Apr 2011       03-01-2017, 1:56 PM Reply   
My brother in law has a Moomba XLV and he has it dialed in pretty good. 1100lb in rear locker. He cut out under the port bench and added a 250lb plus fills center about half full (about 250lbs I think). It is good but not real long. He made a suck gate and 1100lb to starboard locker and it still has the height and added some length. It is a solid wave.
Old     (xstarrider)      Join Date: Jun 2007       03-01-2017, 7:16 PM Reply   
The Typhoon as mentioned is a 23ft humongous wake machine. It shares the hull of the Avalanche (22ft) and the even smaller Cyclone 20ft and change. All 3 boats of that era would outsurf anything produced except its own company's Enzo model and produced wakeboarding wakes that rivaled any of the competition. Ask any rider in the game back then about the Avalanche wake weighted up for boarding and you will find real quick it has great potential. The Hurricane , lightning , and Elite V didn't have that same capability. But the Cyclone Avalanche and Typhoon did

The boats all have huge deep v's , reverse shoebox build, and Centurions proprietary ICS construction which makes them ride the best in rough water compared to anything in the big 3 mfg lineup . The deeper v also means they need way less weigbt to get the wakes macking and produce long clean surf wakes with tons of push. Their build quality is right on par with any of the big 3 of that era. Where Centurion saved its costs ....cheaper vinyl , softer foam ,lots of plastic fillers , not a lot of bling and stainless in the finished product. Their gelcoat lines and molded in graphics were some of the cleanest in the industry in the early to mid 2000's. Their wakeboard wakes were bit sensitive side to side with weighting as a trade off to the deep V . You had to make sure people we're in the right places . A few lbs on the wrong side and the wake would start to curl. The wakes are steep and poppy.

39,000 for a 2007 23 ft boat with a 100 inch beam and options isn't crazy. Especially if it's mint depending on the options package. It's also a great cruising and big water boat. What tower is on it ?

The performance and ride quality of the Typhoon blew away the X30 of those years and was on par with the nautique 226 /230 and the Malibu 23LSV
Old     (xstarrider)      Join Date: Jun 2007       03-01-2017, 7:22 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by davez71 View Post
39K for a 2007 Centurion?

That's just crazy. That boat isn't worth that IMO

Also, if you plan on wakeboarding, the wake will be super wide and very mellow. I have riden a centurion from that year a bunch and the wakeboard wakes are not very good. The newer models have changed that a bit, but these boats are built for wakesurfing.
Dave unfortunately this statement is completely wrong . Centurion wakes from the Cyclone , Avalanche , and Typhoon (all share the same hull) are some of the steepest and peakiest wakes around from that era. Right behind the og 210. They were a touch steeper than the 205V/Xstar hull with almost identical shape and width.

The same can't be said about the Enzo line . They were not great for boarding at all. They lakes any kick and were on the mushy side, but that's because they went strictly on a surf focus for the Enzo line
Old     (davez71)      Join Date: Oct 2007       03-03-2017, 6:44 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by xstarrider View Post
Dave unfortunately this statement is completely wrong . Centurion wakes from the Cyclone , Avalanche , and Typhoon (all share the same hull) are some of the steepest and peakiest wakes around from that era. Right behind the og 210. They were a touch steeper than the 205V/Xstar hull with almost identical shape and width.

The same can't be said about the Enzo line . They were not great for boarding at all. They lakes any kick and were on the mushy side, but that's because they went strictly on a surf focus for the Enzo line

I guess we will have to agree to disagree as I have ridden one a good bit. This is a pic from a buddy of mines boat.

Old     (stanfield)      Join Date: Mar 2004       03-03-2017, 8:29 AM Reply   
Why not take road trip to somewhere with more selection and reasonable prices? 39k for a 10 y/o centurion seems ludicrous to me. I bought a brand new heavily optioned MC X1 in 2007 for like 45k. I realize it's a smaller boat and all, but that centurion couldn't have cost a whole lot more than that 39k when it was brand spanking new.
Old     (xstarrider)      Join Date: Jun 2007       03-03-2017, 8:45 AM Reply   
What model boat is that Dave and how is it weighted. It's completely washed out. His weight configuration or something is completely off .

Last edited by xstarrider; 03-03-2017 at 8:48 AM.
Old     (xstarrider)      Join Date: Jun 2007       03-03-2017, 9:34 AM Reply   
Here are a few "retro" pics of a properly weighted Centurion wake.

Avalanche 350's on top of each hard tank and 500 in the bow. Rider is 6'3"

Avalanche full stock 400 across back seat floor 350 in the nose

. Avalanche 350's on top hard tanks 500 in bow . Rider is 6'1-2"

avy

Cyclone stock plus 400 in nose rider 6ft

Cyclone stock plus 400 in nose Rider 5'6"
Old     (xstarrider)      Join Date: Jun 2007       03-03-2017, 9:36 AM Reply   
And some of the boats. The reverse blue ofwas my favorite boat of all time I have ever owned. Loved the lines of that boat. Surfing way back before surfing was cool.

y

Last edited by xstarrider; 03-03-2017 at 9:43 AM.
Old     (P10_WRC)      Join Date: Feb 2017       03-03-2017, 2:19 PM Reply   
Checked out the boat today and decided to buy it. It was in amazing shape.
Old     (nailem)      Join Date: Apr 2011       03-03-2017, 4:45 PM Reply   
Congrats, I'm sure you will be happy.
Old     (xstarrider)      Join Date: Jun 2007       03-03-2017, 10:15 PM Reply   
Niiiiiiiiice. Gems are always a great find ,..........

Post some pics pronto and enjoy
Old     (scottb7)      Join Date: Oct 2012       03-11-2017, 1:46 PM Reply   
Here is another shameless plug. I am selling my 2008 super air nautique 210...high hours but perfectly maintained with oil changes, etc. $33k...Beautiful blue with lots of upgrades.

http://www.onlyinboards.com/2008-Sup...ota-64192.aspx