Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (gwake1989)      Join Date: Jun 2012       12-01-2012, 1:09 PM Reply   
I went ahead and pulled the trigger on the new 2013 hyperlite marek boots. I am planning on heat molding them here pretty soon. How much should I expect the front to pack out? My big toe is currently a little snug. Thanks for the help.
Old     (gwake1989)      Join Date: Jun 2012       12-03-2012, 8:29 AM Reply   
Anyone out there have any experience with this? I would really appreciate the help. Thanks
Old     (tom_paz)      Join Date: Jan 2003       12-03-2012, 11:39 AM Reply   
Gwake - heat molding your system boots is simple and easy. I just used a hairdryer on the highest heat, for about 2 minutes continuously, then put your feet inside, cinch them up LOOSELY (or else they will pack out too much) and let them cool for about 3 minutes. The whole process should take about 5 minutes.

As far as what to expect for packing out in the toe-box: they arent going to pack out a great deal all the way down there, I would say maybe about a half a shoe size or less. They can pack out greater than half a shoe size in other areas of the boot if you cinch them down too tightly when they are in the cooling stage.

To create more space in the toe-box I would wear a pair of (not too thick) socks when you put them on and let them cool.

Hope this helps.
Old     (tdelong)      Join Date: Oct 2012       12-03-2012, 12:26 PM Reply   
I would not recommend using hot air to heat mold your boots. The material used in bindings are built to hold up in the water and hot, dry air can hurt the bindings more often than not.

A hot bath usually does the trick. Some people use their hot tubs but i'd be a little worried about the chemicals that are in the water.
Old     (tom_paz)      Join Date: Jan 2003       12-03-2012, 12:55 PM Reply   
Good point, Tyler but also each company uses different materials to build their heat-moldable boots. With Ronix, they use Intuition liners (or at least they did when I rode them) and Intuition actually has their own hot-air mechanism,"the cooker".

But, Hyperlite uses an Ultralon liner (for the record, Im not exactly sure what the materialistic differences are between the two are)

Although I cannot guarantee the exact method that Ultralon suggests, I will say that I have used the hairdryer on both my '11 and '12 Murray system boots and it worked just fine with no negative effects on the liners or the boots. They have held up just fine and still are about as supportive as when I got them.

Last edited by tom_paz; 12-03-2012 at 1:01 PM.
Old     (gwake1989)      Join Date: Jun 2012       12-03-2012, 2:29 PM Reply   
Tom and Tyler,

Thanks for the help. That was exactly the information I needed.
Old     (simplej)      Join Date: Sep 2011       12-03-2012, 4:00 PM Reply   
ultralon is the company that makes intuition fwiw.
Old     (tarek)      Join Date: Jun 2011       12-03-2012, 4:22 PM Reply   
Heat molding is a gimmick...

Replace the footbeds!
Old     (tdelong)      Join Date: Oct 2012       12-04-2012, 11:55 AM Reply   
Thanks for the info. I was told that the hot air could damage the boots so I never cared to look into any more info but it is nice to know that the companies have been using material to prevent that. I have a molder for hockey skates that I will now be able to use on my new bindings.
Old     (gwake1989)      Join Date: Jun 2012       01-11-2013, 2:47 PM Reply   
Thanks for the information/opinions. Great thread
Old     (BamaLurker)      Join Date: Dec 2011       01-11-2013, 3:14 PM Reply   
I agree w Tarek. Gimmick. Ride um straight out of the box.
Old     (carter134)      Join Date: Jun 2012       01-12-2013, 5:27 PM Reply   
hair dyer works but can ruin the material the layer with the designs will detach from the padding and its possible to burn them
Old     (gwake1989)      Join Date: Jun 2012       01-12-2013, 10:45 PM Reply   
Thanks for the heads up. I was going to use a hairdryer. I need to pack out the big toe area a little bit. Any recommendations?
Old     (simplej)      Join Date: Sep 2011       01-12-2013, 10:57 PM Reply   
I've got the solution
USE THEM
Old     (gwake1989)      Join Date: Jun 2012       01-13-2013, 8:51 AM Reply   
Haha if only it were that easy. Its a little tight/uncomfortable on the big toe and needs to be packed out to be comfortable to ride. They are the size 12/13 and I wear a size 13 shoe.
Old     (simplej)      Join Date: Sep 2011       01-13-2013, 9:19 AM Reply   
Using them will pack them out. Heat molding doesn't cause the binding to "pack out" per se rather it gives you a feel of a boot that's been ridden and molded to the foot. If they use ultralon which is the same as intuition foam like other snowboard/wake boots on the market heating te boots cause the foam to expand and meet the foot creating a mold around the foot. Your toes should be just touching the end of boot. Heat molding isn't going to make your boot bigger, riding them will cause them to pack out, heat molding will mold them to your foot. 32 boots (snowboard) use intuition (made by ultralon) and can be remolded up to 5 times. Shops recomend that when the boot packs out you reheat them to reachieve a proper back to new fit. Heat molding might help you but it will not "pack out" the toe like a week or 2 of riding will. If you can't ride the boots in this condition it sounds like you need a bigger size. A shoe stretcher thing like people put in their soccer cleats and dress shoes might help. If you can't even ride the boots with current fitment I highly doubt that heat molding will be a magic bullet. Heat molding enhances a properly fitting boot, it doesn't make an ill fitting boot fit.

Last edited by simplej; 01-13-2013 at 9:24 AM.
Old     (DatTexasBoy)      Join Date: Aug 2012       01-13-2013, 4:23 PM Reply   
I am a true size 13 and I have the 2013 AJ's 12/13 and I am right on the end also, but once I rode them a couple times I never noticed it again. By the way I love my setup. Aj's, System pro's and Marek nova 145
Old     (gwake1989)      Join Date: Jun 2012       01-14-2013, 10:01 AM Reply   
Rance. Thanks for the post. I'm in the same boat, a true size 13. I couldn't wear the 2012s because they were too small. The 2013s fit snug so I was worried. But that's good to know they will get more comfortable with time. Can't wait until summer to try them out.
Old     (pprior)      Join Date: Jan 2012       07-04-2013, 11:31 AM Reply   
sooooo... 2013 hyperlite system boots. Hot air, hot water, how long, none of the above?
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       07-04-2013, 11:49 AM Reply   
I just got mine as hot as I could stand in the shower and then let them cool on my feet. Do this a couple times and then just use em. They will mold and get comfortable very quickly. My Process boots were comfy from day one and have only gotten better. I wear them for hours on end at the cable and never have issues.