Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (snoopy1173)      Join Date: May 2010       07-17-2010, 3:33 PM Reply   
Please....full instructions.....what airline did u use......how much did it cost etc....
Old     (ilikebeaverandboats)      Join Date: Jul 2007       07-17-2010, 3:48 PM Reply   
Just like bringing a snowboard on a plane? Get a bag and check it. you check it in the same place, but pick it up in a designated area.
Old     (mobv)      Join Date: Jun 2002       07-17-2010, 6:21 PM Reply   
Fees vary from free on southwest to $100 or more depending on the airline. Most airlines will charge $100 if you tell them it is a wake board. It will be classified as a surf board. Tell them it is a water ski is the most common practice. Some people try to pass it off as golf clubs.

With Delta it works best to use a kiosk or check-in at home and pay the $25 fee. Some agents are very strict about the special bag fee.
Old     (airzemee)      Join Date: Aug 2009       07-17-2010, 6:28 PM Reply   
In canada I just use westjet airlines, best company ever, you get one free sport bag. So i hauled my new lyman and boots back home using that. research cause some companys will let certain sporting bags go on for free, might just have to turn your wakeboard into a set of clubs for the flight haha
Old     (benbuchholz)      Join Date: Oct 2009       07-17-2010, 7:05 PM Reply   
I just took my board down to Virginia with me, I flew Airtran Airways. Put it in my board bag, checked just as a normal bag, but I do know there was a length limit for boarding equipment/oversized baggage, and my board clearedit by about 4 inches (I ride a 142), so it was the same price as a normal bag. If it were oversized, it'd be $50 i think to check? I had no problems with it at all. Just know that your board bag is going to come out of oversized, so don't freak out when it doesnt come out of normal baggage claim like I did hahah.
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       07-17-2010, 9:09 PM Reply   
right from a pro-rider's mouth. check this recent article
http://www.wakeworld.com/news/blogs/...ll-travel.html
Old     (team_o)      Join Date: Jun 2002       07-18-2010, 7:16 AM Reply   
Make sure you have your board strapped to a cardboard backer board, something that is bigger all the way around (length & width) than your board. In my experience, edge dings are the worst thing about bringing a board with you. The backer board will prevent that.
Old     (jonb)      Join Date: Oct 2003       07-18-2010, 8:11 AM Reply   
$25 with American Airlines. Get a board bag and your good to go.
Old     (mc_x15)      Join Date: Jul 2008       07-18-2010, 11:29 AM Reply   
I heard golf bags work well. Havent done it though. Golf Clubs are free ( well standard fee for checked bag) on most airlines.
Old     (jonb)      Join Date: Oct 2003       07-18-2010, 12:39 PM Reply   
Some companies make board bags that look like golf club bags or say golf on them. One of the best ones is the Ronix Links bag.
Old     (supernatural)      Join Date: Jan 2008       07-18-2010, 5:18 PM Reply   
I have flown many times with my board and gear and have never had a problem. I do have a LF "Golf" bag and have never been questioned about it, but before the golf bag I used a standard wakeboard bag and just told them that it was golf clubs and never had a problem. I now only use curbside checkin because #1 it is way quicker for like a $5 tip, and #2 I feel that if you are tipping them they are much less likely to give you any problems for any reason. Good luck.
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       07-19-2010, 7:41 AM Reply   
Fly Southwest and keep it under 50lbs
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       07-19-2010, 10:32 AM Reply   
I prefer to Fed Ex it to the doorstep of where I'm going. I recently went to Texas to ride Wake Sports Ranch and the hotel across the street held our groups boards and even handed them to the delivery guy when we left. Easy peasy Japanesy.
Old     (gene3x)      Join Date: Apr 2005 Location: Dallas , TX       07-19-2010, 1:30 PM Reply   
Take your bindings off and take them in a separate bag, then throw a bunch of clothes and other stuff in the bag while keeping it under 50lbs and you should be good to go.
Old     (wakeviolater)      Join Date: Sep 2004       07-19-2010, 1:51 PM Reply   
UPS your board to your destination.

From Sacramento to Orlando it cost me $18 for standard ground, each way.
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       07-20-2010, 1:27 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by wakeviolater View Post
UPS your board to your destination.

From Sacramento to Orlando it cost me $18 for standard ground, each way.
how many days were you without your board?
Old     (dococ)      Join Date: Mar 2002       07-21-2010, 1:19 PM Reply   
Mailing def is easier if you can swing it. If you do have to check in on the plane, I like to wrap the edges in pipe insulation (held in place with blue painter's tape) before I stuff it in my bag. Just a little added protection from the baggage apes, and it only costs a couple bucks for the materials.

Recently i flew with my board from San Fransisco to Atlanta. I checked the airline's website and saw that snowboards fly for free, so I just took off the bindings and stuffed my wakeboard into my snowboard travel bag, then used curbside bagage check as suggested above. No problems at all, and no extra charge except tipping the guy at curbside.

Mostly I posted this to recommend the pipe insulation trick. I also do this when I mail it somewhere before i stuff it in the box.
Old     (dukeno1)      Join Date: May 2006       07-21-2010, 4:50 PM Reply   
I was going to say point your toes a little and that will help.....
Old     (patrick232)      Join Date: Aug 2008       07-22-2010, 6:23 AM Reply   
Do you guys think there would be a need for a hard case, like travel golf?
Old     (reconabe)      Join Date: Jun 2007       07-22-2010, 6:58 AM Reply   
No need for a hard case. Just get a good quality board bag. wrap the edges with either bubble wrap or pipe insulation. Then check it. I just tell them its "ski equipment" I dont offer any other details. I have never been upcharged and I fly with mine 3-4 times a year. I dont even take the bindings off.
Old     (andrewjet)      Join Date: Jan 2003       07-22-2010, 7:32 AM Reply   
Just throttle up..the boat will do the rest for ya. lol
Old     (sippi)      Join Date: Dec 2007       07-26-2010, 9:31 AM Reply   
If you've ever seen the "extras" in the counterfeit this video, parks had all his suff swiped so all he had was his board, sent it through the checked bagage with just a bag sticker on it, pretty funny to see a wakeboard sliding down the bagage claim thing. definitely wouldn't do it myself, but worth a laugh.
Old    cstare1212            07-26-2010, 11:37 AM Reply   
I take my board from Texas to Idaho every year. All I do is put a piece of cardboard under the board with about for inches sticking out all around it, then just fold the cardboard over the edges of the board. Then i just wrap it all up in seran wrap which you can buy a huge roll of it for cheap at a fed ex or other shipping store. And i just check in online and pay the standard 25 dollar fee or whatever it is depending on the airline. Sometimes at the airport they try to charge me for an oversize bag but just tell them to shut up and that you already paid for it and they wont care. ive never had to pay extra. And Ive never had my board get damaged, just be sure to cover all your edges with some cardboard! and maybe even slap on a fragile sticker haha
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       07-26-2010, 11:54 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by behindtheboat View Post
Fly Southwest and keep it under 50lbs
to add....pack board with gear and clothes, remove bindings and put them in a duffle bag to carry on(they are a majority of the weight to keep it under 50lbs). Clothes, towels, etc will pad the board(s) too.
Old     (denverlove)      Join Date: Jun 2010       07-26-2010, 3:31 PM Reply   
I just took 2 boards with me from Denver to Detroit. I have the recent scoop.

Fly SOUTHWEST!

They allow 2 free bags checked. This INCLUDES a wakeboard... it's FREE to check it as your first or second bag.

Make sure you use a nicely padded wakeboard bag, and if you can, one that's big enough to not have to remove your bindings. Of course, chances are, your bag will have plenty of room so you can stuff clothes or whatever if you'd like... you may only really need one bag.
Old     (chikara22)      Join Date: Oct 2006       07-26-2010, 5:54 PM Reply   
I have flown multiple times on American Airlines with my board and bindings together in a Hyperlite rolling board bag with a helmet, vest and a wetsuit without any additional charge to check it. Bag was completely full and the check in people assumed it was either ski equipment or golf equipment every time. My board bag does not say golf or anything related to golf, just Hyperlite. .
Old     (dococ)      Join Date: Mar 2002       07-26-2010, 6:47 PM Reply   
I triple-dog dare you to actually tell the airline people "shut up" before you hand over a bag that has your wakeboard inside. ; )