Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through June 30, 2008

Old     (wakekat15)      Join Date: Jul 2005       06-30-2008, 5:05 AM Reply   
Wow....condolences to the family. Anyone that can tell us more about this terrible accident? It sounds very bizarre that anyone would be attempting to wakeboard in water that has 2' to 6' high waves.

http://www.wesh.com/news/16740684/detail.html
Old     (otown_dave)      Join Date: Dec 2007       06-30-2008, 6:03 AM Reply   
I just saw that this morning also on local 6, maybe the weather rolled up on them fast.
Old     (merrion13)      Join Date: Aug 2007       06-30-2008, 6:11 AM Reply   
Lake Geneva is a very large, and very deep, freshwater lake in southern wisconsin. Being less than 2 hours from chicago, and an hour from Milwaukee, it has lots of boat traffic on it and the chop can get pretty rough. Add to that some strong winds, and I can see the waves getting really bad. We had some weird weather this weekend in Chicago, with yesterday being beautiful in the morning and then in the early afternoon it went from sunny to black outside in less than 15 minutes. Lots of strong winds and rain.
Old     (dblockklsoldiers)      Join Date: Apr 2008       06-30-2008, 8:13 AM Reply   
Another reason why i stay at the river.
Old     (jame04)      Join Date: Nov 2007       06-30-2008, 8:18 AM Reply   
My daughter rented the boat to the couple. It was awful. She had to still charge the boyfriend the rental fee and have him go through the rentel checkout after returning the boat, can you imagine that! It is a very big lake and very dangerous due to all the weekend idiots that don't know how to drive a boat. But I also must say that they should not have been wakeboarding in those conditions. It would be very hard to see someone in the water in those conditions.
Old     (shredhead)      Join Date: Jun 2003       06-30-2008, 8:19 AM Reply   
Lake Geneva is a zoo. Generally speaking, it's not even considered a good ski lake, it's more of a sailing lake, big and wide open. Personally I think you would have to be nuts to ski/board there at 2pm on a Saturday.

A very strong storm came thru about that time and could have kicked up some very big waves.
Old     (lizrd)      Join Date: Jul 2002       06-30-2008, 8:31 AM Reply   
I saw that on the news. That lake is awful and I don't think I'd board it on the best day let alone on a weekend in the afternoon. It is tourist central - I try to stay AWAY from anywhere that has boat rentals since the "captains" very rarely have a clue about what they are doing. I get on our river at 6AM and I am off it by 10:00 when the wallys come out. So sad to lose a fellow wakeboarder at 28 years young.
Old     (epic1)      Join Date: Oct 2006       06-30-2008, 8:37 AM Reply   
dont know the lake, but what the hell was a passing boat doing that close to her? Thats not weather, thats jackassery
Old     (beachbum22)      Join Date: Aug 2007       06-30-2008, 8:45 AM Reply   
Yup, jackassery, I definitely agree. I have a feeling they were not paying attention.
Old     (xistential)      Join Date: Jul 2007       06-30-2008, 8:48 AM Reply   
She had to still charge the boyfriend the rental fee and have him go through the rentel checkout after returning the boat, can you imagine that.

I am not trying to be clever here but why did she still have to charge them? couldn't it have waited?
Old     (jame04)      Join Date: Nov 2007       06-30-2008, 9:01 AM Reply   
Becuase if they didn't they could possibly be held liable, not really sure how but that is what they had to do.
Old     (wakekat15)      Join Date: Jul 2005       06-30-2008, 9:55 AM Reply   
Agreed, Chris....a bit of an insensitive way to handle a business transaction following a fatality!

Looks like powerturning could have been a factor, leaving the rider exposed in poor visibility conditons. You also have to wonder why someone would actually attempt to ride in those conditions!
Old     (morgs)      Join Date: Nov 2005       06-30-2008, 11:23 AM Reply   
Terrible news. Really sorry to hear about it.

Thoughts and prayers go out to the family and friends.

RIP.