Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (skiboarder)      Join Date: Oct 2006       08-08-2012, 12:22 PM Reply   
Since I have a moment, I would like to take some time to discuss the trend of sloppy arms at cable parks.

Everyone has there own style. Some people wear tie-dyed shirts, others do not. Some replace there stock laces with florescent ones, and others do not. Some people hop and some people swivel.

But there is no excuse for doing a front board across a fun-box and going all sloppy-arms like you did something awesome. Have a little self respect. We were there and no matter how convincing your sloppy-arms may appear--we saw you slip off early.

And to Mr. gang-signs after every hit--cut that out too. You are from the suburbs and it looks ridiculous.

Last edited by skiboarder; 08-08-2012 at 12:25 PM.
Old     (BamaLurker)      Join Date: Dec 2011       08-08-2012, 12:32 PM Reply   
Who are you bitching about? Probly should just worry about your own riding. That would be funny to see sum lil cable shrimp throwin up gang signs. It shows you that wakeboarding is now popular among inner-city youth.
Coming soon...... Crenshaw blvd. Wake park!!!
Old     (skiboarder)      Join Date: Oct 2006       08-08-2012, 12:48 PM Reply   
I'm poking fun at a lot of people and I do worry about my riding a lot.

Sloppy arms = the Byerly Hook of wake parks. I had this discussion the other day at Wake Nation Houston and got a good laugh out of it so I wanted to share.
Old     (benjaminp)      Join Date: Nov 2008       08-08-2012, 12:45 PM Reply   
Everyone's tough on the internet.
Old     (rplogue7)      Join Date: Jul 2012       08-09-2012, 6:45 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by benjaminp View Post
Everyone's tough on the internet.
Amen
Old     (kamighazi)      Join Date: Nov 2008       08-09-2012, 7:11 AM Reply   
"Real Gangstas @$$ N dont flex n**ts, because real gangstas know they got'em"

-no truer words
Old     (jake23l)      Join Date: Apr 2012       08-09-2012, 8:08 AM Reply   
Sloppy arms
Attached Images

Old     (skiboarder)      Join Date: Oct 2006       08-08-2012, 1:03 PM Reply   
It was meant to be funny.
Old     (Dustfarter)      Join Date: Jun 2010       08-12-2012, 11:46 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by skiboarder View Post
It was meant to be funny.
I though it was funny.........and I agree

What gets an old fart like me really riled up is line cutting and throwing your board down on the dock in the line and then walking away so that everyone else can stumble around it......last time I was at Hydrous there were a few pros doing this ( yes you Mike Ennen).

Wake boarding used to be low on the attitude front. Now wake parks are starting to resemble the line at a SoCal snowboard park. It's annoying.

For every douche though there are a ton of cool kids that I meet every trip.
Old     (boomshot)      Join Date: Jan 2008       08-13-2012, 4:33 AM Reply   
My favorite pic of Rathy being friendly to me on youtube.
Probably the sport's only real current punk. So that's good.
Attached Images

Old     (wakeboardern1)      Join Date: Aug 2007       08-08-2012, 1:09 PM Reply   
Wait, what are sloppy arms?
Old     (petrie141)      Join Date: Jun 2012       08-08-2012, 1:16 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by wakeboardern1 View Post
Wait, what are sloppy arms?
Thinking the same thing... hopefully I haven't done it
Old     (txwakerider14)      Join Date: Apr 2010       08-08-2012, 1:21 PM Reply   
I couldn't agree more, no matter how hard they try, suburban white kids are not gangster.
Old     (captain_vilfo)      Join Date: Apr 2007       08-08-2012, 2:10 PM Reply   
get a pic of someone doing sloppy arms
Old     (skiboarder)      Join Date: Oct 2006       08-08-2012, 8:36 PM Reply   
I don't know if you can show sloppy-arms in a pic. Video definitely.

Sloppy arms is when you come off a rail and you let your arms go limp like, "yeah fools, I just did that. It was amazing and I am soooo casual about it."

Hey, when I dominate a new line, I typically fist-pump and squeal like a girl. It is not as cool as sloppy arms, but at least it is genuine.

For anyone doing it from time to time, it might be appropriate, but there are a lot of people that are incorporating it into their "style". And really, does going limp from the waist up after every hit = style?

I guess in the end I am commenting on the dramatics,
Old    9Drozd            08-08-2012, 8:56 PM Reply   
Dude If they're having fun and not bothering anyone, let them be. Be happy you get to ride and have fun. It doesn't matter what you look like as long as your enjoying yourself.

Last edited by 9Drozd; 08-08-2012 at 9:01 PM.
Old     (Jmaxymek)      Join Date: Feb 2012       08-08-2012, 9:17 PM Reply   
I tend to revert to the "sloppy-arms" after really any rail hit. I didn't know it was an issue. If I stick something new or something I knew looked real clean, I tend to get all over-confident and counter my new trick with some stupid looking slam off the kicker.
Old     (wakebordr11)      Join Date: May 2001       08-09-2012, 4:55 AM Reply   
^ Ha nice. I fall a lot at the cable and laugh when doing so. Do I look stupid? Yup
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       08-09-2012, 8:50 AM Reply   
wakeboarding is getting so snobby.
Old     (TheHebrewHammer)      Join Date: Jun 2011       08-10-2012, 11:20 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by jarrod View Post
wakeboarding is getting so snobby.
Seriously. This **** is pathetic. I can't even tell which haters are trolling and which are serious any more.
Old     (Houstonshark)      Join Date: Jan 2011       08-12-2012, 7:03 AM Reply   
I was at Wake Nation Houston for most of the day yesterday and failed to see anything that looked like 'sloppy arms'. I did see some over/under grips, which I find funny. I still wouldn't laugh at someone who is enjoying what they are doing, whether its considered right or wrong.
Old     (wakebordr11)      Join Date: May 2001       08-09-2012, 10:05 AM Reply   
Its not just wakeboarding jarrod... It's everywhere
Old     (JoLo_Si)      Join Date: Oct 2011       08-09-2012, 12:02 PM Reply   
It's ok to do it if you stomp some really sick sh*t right? I feel like I should ask permission ahead of time just in case I ever do.
Old     (BamaLurker)      Join Date: Dec 2011       08-09-2012, 12:20 PM Reply   
That dog is crackin me up!
Old     (Reez)      Join Date: Mar 2010       08-09-2012, 1:10 PM Reply   
seems like alot of people on this forum dont get that theres a learning curve for alot of people. People get better the more they ride. Who cares if its "stylish" or whatever. Hating hurts the sports progression. I read in alliance they had some "rules of wakeboarding" and one of the rules was dont do a tantrum if you cant do a tantrum? Thats the stupidest thing ive ever heard. If you cant land a trick you should try it? Retarted.
Old     (watermags)      Join Date: Oct 2011       08-09-2012, 2:24 PM Reply   
Bob, totally off subject. I think you misinterpreted that. Don't throw a tantrum if you can't do a tantrum. Properly interpreted means have fun wakeboarding even if you're no good.
Old     (skiboarder)      Join Date: Oct 2006       08-09-2012, 3:06 PM Reply   
I was really just trying to make a joke. I will give the super-short non-humorous version.

Don't be a poser. Focus on the riding, not the image. It was that simple.
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       08-09-2012, 3:28 PM Reply   
Quote:
I was really just trying to make a joke. I will give the super-short non-humorous version.

Don't be a poser. Focus on the riding, not the image. It was that simple.
No you weren't. And you're the one focusing on someone's image when they come off a rail, not them. Don't be a poser, stick to your guns dude.
Old     (ralph)      Join Date: Apr 2002       08-09-2012, 3:23 PM Reply   
I "Sloppy-Arms" through the office after visiting the bathroom. Uh huh, that's right, I am gangster.
Old     (Shooter)      Join Date: Apr 2010       08-09-2012, 5:19 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by txwakerider14 View Post
I couldn't agree more, no matter how hard they try, suburban white kids are not gangster.
You just described most of the pro riders from the west coast!
Old     (jake23l)      Join Date: Apr 2012       08-09-2012, 6:26 PM Reply   
Since I have a moment...quit sitting on the side watching everyone else, worrying about how they celebrate, making up new words, and then posting it on the internet. I am officially rockin sloppy arms all weekend at the lake...
Attached Images

Old     (bschall)      Join Date: Jun 2007       08-09-2012, 6:46 PM Reply   
The sloppy arms comes from snowboarding I believe. You cant be claiming every hit you make when going through the park on the big white wave
Old     (petrie141)      Join Date: Jun 2012       08-09-2012, 7:03 PM Reply   
I remember my first front board on a box, but I was soooo pumped, I honestly don't remember how I celebrated. I have a feeling I was probably one of those guys that went all "sloppy arms" or over-celebrated. I couldn't help it though! It was the first time I ever hit a rail! I was pumped!
Old     (liquidmx)      Join Date: Jun 2005       08-09-2012, 8:03 PM Reply   
So by this whole sloppy arms thing are you referring to the equivalent on a snowboard which is referred to as an afterbang? I think a better term would be dead arms then. When I hear sloppy arms I think of someone pulling a windmill with their arms while riding.
Old     (skiboarder)      Join Date: Oct 2006       08-09-2012, 8:39 PM Reply   
I think we are on track. Sorry that I made it so difficult. I agree, dead-arms is probably a better term than sloppy-arms, but I love after-bang.

I'm not talking about celebrating. I'm talking about literally striking a pose after every hit (good or bad) and calling it style.
Old     (migs)      Join Date: Aug 2006 Location: SF Bay Area       08-09-2012, 9:09 PM Reply   
Post a vid so we can all be sure to act right when we ride
Old     (liquidmx)      Join Date: Jun 2005       08-09-2012, 9:33 PM Reply   
Haters gonna hate. I am pretty sure if the Internet forums were as popular during the byerly hook era someone would have been talking down about his steeze too.
Old     (Luker)      Join Date: Feb 2010       08-10-2012, 5:00 AM Reply   
What are your thoughts on the stanky leg? i've been trying that one out after a proper hit but its gotten mixed reviews.
Old     (Luker)      Join Date: Feb 2010       08-10-2012, 5:24 AM Reply   
This is my motivation when i ride

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LosT3uOiV5k
Old     (captain_vilfo)      Join Date: Apr 2007       08-10-2012, 5:40 AM Reply   
im still so lost, so it goes from sloppy to dead?
Old     (simplej)      Join Date: Sep 2011       08-10-2012, 6:09 AM Reply   
I'm envisioning something like what Trev maur does after every hit. In which case, how can you hate?
Old     (boardjnky4)      Join Date: Dec 2011       08-10-2012, 6:18 AM Reply   
Hilarious discussion.
Old     (Reez)      Join Date: Mar 2010       08-10-2012, 10:00 AM Reply   
id still like to see an example of sloppy arms....
Old     (boomshot)      Join Date: Jan 2008       08-10-2012, 11:11 AM Reply   
Aaron Rathy does it.
Old     (wakebrdjay)      Join Date: Apr 2008       08-12-2012, 7:48 AM Reply   
I have to laugh at this thread the OP's handle is SKIBOARDER LOL
Old     (skiboarder)      Join Date: Oct 2006       08-12-2012, 9:19 AM Reply   
My first post was a failed hyperbole.

Skiboarder is a joke too. It was a derogatory term used years ago.

TJ, I was behind you in line most of the day in the rasta striped shorts. You're right. Yesterday was not that crowd.
Old     (Houstonshark)      Join Date: Jan 2011       08-12-2012, 10:56 AM Reply   
Quote:
My first post was a failed hyperbole.

Skiboarder is a joke too. It was a derogatory term used years ago.

TJ, I was behind you in line most of the day in the rasta striped shorts. You're right. Yesterday was not that crowd.
Ha. Justin, if you were in line behind me yesterday then you had plenty to laugh at! I tried the Spy ramp yesterday for the first time and landed it the first 2 times which was just enough confidence to try and Ollie off of the top of it the 3rd time. This resulted in landing on my back and knocking the breath out of me!

I did land a couple Indie grabs and despite my hands and forearms killing me, I actually felt like I had a productive day there for once! I still very much prefer being behind the boat but the cable is a good change of pace.

Make sure and introduce yourself next time Justin. I guess you know who I am already but to be sure, I have the 2011 Bill board that's all Plasti Dipped black except for the face and mustache, with the new all white and green Ronix One's.
Old     (roughrivermike)      Join Date: Apr 2006       08-13-2012, 6:22 AM Reply   
^^^^^ What on earth was that about?
Old     (showmedonttellme)      Join Date: Mar 2008       08-13-2012, 8:34 AM Reply   
I'd rather see dead arms than somebody rolling up the windows anyday. Especially while they're ON the feature. You go boys, stuff those hands in your pockets like you're walking in the park.
Old     (TheHebrewHammer)      Join Date: Jun 2011       08-13-2012, 10:19 AM Reply   
Rathy is a true G
Old     (brhanley)      Join Date: Jun 2001       08-13-2012, 3:13 PM Reply   
Justin, perhaps a Captain of the Heart sequel is in order to celebrate sloppy/dead arms and afterbang.
Old     (bschall)      Join Date: Jun 2007       08-13-2012, 11:38 PM Reply   
blame canada