Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through May 29, 2009

Old     (nbigger)      Join Date: May 2008       04-22-2009, 12:38 PM Reply   
Has anyone done a DIY wrap on their boat? I am looking at buying some black vinyl and covering up the sides. I would buy a 3ft roll and cut it myself. Is this a bad idea I have never wrapped a vehicle but I think I can get the vinyl cheap from my aunt. Also is there a special vinyl used for this and does anyone have any tips on how to do this or what tools I will need.
Thanks, Nick
Old     (wake1823)      Join Date: Dec 2005       04-22-2009, 1:22 PM Reply   
^^^LOL, please do, and post pictures.

I think it's a great idea.
Old     (wake77)      Join Date: Jan 2009       04-22-2009, 1:28 PM Reply   
I knew a guy that spray painted his beater boat but not a wrap....Nick you could be the first.
Old     (jonblarc7)      Join Date: Jul 2006       04-22-2009, 1:35 PM Reply   
This guy on planetnautique did this with some scraps laying around and I think it turned out pretty good.

Upload
Old     (ian_ashton)      Join Date: Jul 2008       04-22-2009, 1:47 PM Reply   
It is my understanding that the vinyl used for wraps is different from what is used when you get vinyl graphics cut by a sign shop. I believe the stuff used for wraps only comes in white, and is printed in the various colors and patterns, and is much more pliable.

That being said, I'm sure with enough patience you could use regular sign vinyl, it would definately save you a ton of cash. Worth a shot, and if it looks like crap you could just peel it off.

Don't cut it on the boat though ;)

I would think it would be a pretty good business for a company to sell generic patterns for boat wraps (much like the places that do sheets of camo for cars, boats, quads, etc.) I think it would be cool to be able to buy a big sheet with a set pattern at a price much lower than a custom designed, custom fit wrap. I'd feel much less guilty about banging it into docks then too, haha.
Old     (saceone)      Join Date: Jan 2009       04-22-2009, 1:52 PM Reply   
yep I was gonna post the boat from PN.com

DO EET.
Old     (tuneman)      Join Date: Mar 2002       04-22-2009, 1:57 PM Reply   
Nick, you can use regular sign vinyl, but ot won't hold up for more than a year or two. You'll need a small plastic squeegee and a squirt bottle full of water and a couple drops of dish soap.

Start at one end and soak the boat with the squirt bottle. Then put the vinyl on and squeegee out the bubbles as you go. This is the wet apply method and it's how most wraps are done.
Old     (lovin_the_wake)      Join Date: Jul 2007       04-22-2009, 2:45 PM Reply   
I've seen it done and it looked really good imo
Old     (nbigger)      Join Date: May 2008       04-22-2009, 6:54 PM Reply   
Thanks for the info. My aunt works at a shop that sells vinyl for graphics is this the type I should use with the wet apply method or is there a different kind for signs? I think I could get it cheap enough that if it did not turn out it would not be a big deal. I will post pics when I try it. This is my first boat so I am trying to learn as much as I can on this one. I just started some gell repair and it looks like it is going good so far.
Old     (flyspec14)      Join Date: Apr 2005       04-22-2009, 7:03 PM Reply   
First, find out if your aunt is using cast or calendered vinyl. You want to use cast as it more likely to conform to the mold lines of your boat. Most wraps are laminated too, basically putting a clearcoat over top protecting the print and making the vinyl less prone to abuse. We have done single color wraps that work out well but the installation can be very difficult because "sign vinyl" can be damn sticky. If you want email me and I can give you more suggestions. Matt@Re-Boat.com
Old     (newty)      Join Date: May 2005       04-22-2009, 10:00 PM Reply   
Hey nick! How are the sacs working out for you?
I would at least try it. The worst that can happen is it doesn't work and you peel it off.
Old     (nbigger)      Join Date: May 2008       04-23-2009, 4:55 AM Reply   
The sacs are working great I run one in the ski locker and one in the back. I am going to call my aunt today and find out what type of vinyl she can get then peel off the Sport Nautique graphics and pin stripes Friday with a friend and a heat gun. I was thinking I would make a stencil of the side of the boat then trace it onto the vinyl. Then apply it with the wet method mentioned above. Matt I will email you when I find out what type of vinyl.
Thanks for all the help, Nick
Old     (wakebrdr38)      Join Date: Sep 2006       04-23-2009, 6:24 AM Reply   
When I was in high school I worked at a place that had vinyl window ads (like 3 ft by 5 ft)that needed to be switched out seasonally. They had me do it, and I used the wet method. I was on a ladder and by myself and it sucked, but being down low and with some help you can get it done. Take your time and be REALLY patient. It definately could be done, but it wont be easy. Definately post results
Old     (kamighazi)      Join Date: Nov 2008       04-23-2009, 6:44 AM Reply   
FYI bro... http://videos.wakeboardingmag.com/viewVideo.php?video_id=1493&title=2009_Liquid_Forc e_Supra_Boat_wrap

I'd love to see a DIY done and done right... b/c i want to do it too. But that Video kind of freaked me out. they got propane torches and shiz. post up in 3 years too let us know how its holding up
Old     (jason_b)      Join Date: Feb 2008       04-23-2009, 7:37 AM Reply   
I think Windex works better and dries faster than water using the wet method IMHO.
Old     (nbigger)      Join Date: May 2008       04-23-2009, 8:18 AM Reply   
I can get high performance cast vinyl which is what she said I would want. I have not received a price yet but they come in 15ft, 24ft, and 30ft rolls. I would think 24 would be enough to cover the sides. Thanks for the video Ben that gives me a better idea of how to cut the vinyl. Jason thanks for the tip, I don’t know if it would be a good thing for me if it dried faster though I will probably need all the time I can get to get it on right LOL. What should I use to remove all the wax from the boat?

Thanks for the tips keep them coming, Nick

(Message edited by nbigger on April 23, 2009)
Old     (nbigger)      Join Date: May 2008       04-23-2009, 8:54 AM Reply   
I was wrong the rolls are in 15 inch to 30 inch widths.
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       04-23-2009, 10:21 AM Reply   
Kinda off topic, but my dad owns a 38' Cabin Crusier. It's moored in a marina, and over time the gel has been polished so much it's starting to not look as good. He was looking into having the boat re-gelcoated. Can you wrap a boat that big? How long would it last in a "bay" environment---salt/brackish water.
Old     (ajholt7)      Join Date: Apr 2009       04-23-2009, 4:42 PM Reply   
You can get all your supplies from hhsignsupply.com
Old     (point1234)      Join Date: Apr 2006       04-23-2009, 8:38 PM Reply   
What would people pay to get there boat wrapped. We just got a new machine at work that can print on anything. from a sheet of copper to a door to vinyl to static cling. I am just getting details on the spec of the machine now. also it can print a width of over 5 feet or more and the length would depend on the roll.
Old     (nbigger)      Join Date: May 2008       04-27-2009, 10:11 AM Reply   
I ordered the vinyl today and will be removing all wax and glue off the boat tonight. I will try to get some before pics of the boat. The boat already looks better with the graphics off. I decided to use the regular cast instead of the high performance this time because it is a lot cheaper if I screw it up and they have it in stock. The roll will be 30 inches by 20 yards.
Thanks for all the help from every one, Nick
Old     (bjeremi)      Join Date: Mar 2006       04-27-2009, 11:32 AM Reply   
Subscribing
Old     (nbigger)      Join Date: May 2008       05-03-2009, 5:49 PM Reply   
round one did not go well. We had a nice day and had the wrap all set up and it was going perfect. Then as we were pulling the backing off it all went bad. The backing did not come off in one spot and as we were trying to get it off a gust of wind came trough and made it stick to itself. Then the the water dried and it was over. I am going to try again but I learned that you should have three people and it should be inside to do it right.

Nick
Old     (brett33)      Join Date: Apr 2011       05-10-2011, 10:00 AM Reply   
yeah not only will attempting this inside prevent wind from disturbing you, but it is extremely important that you clean the surface very well. you dont want dirt or dust under that wrap as it will cause small dots/ bubbles in your vinyl.