Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (Geoffrey_Isringhausen)      Join Date: Sep 2010       06-14-2011, 9:03 AM Reply   
Hey guys, are there any products that you have had good success with to remove hard water spots from the hull of your boat?

Thanks!
Old     (bcrider)      Join Date: Apr 2006       06-14-2011, 9:14 AM Reply   
Vinegar & Water
Babes Spot Remover
Old     (Geoffrey_Isringhausen)      Join Date: Sep 2010       06-14-2011, 10:06 AM Reply   
Great thanks, I'll try to babes spot remover. I've been using vinegar and water for a while and it works pretty good, but some of the bad spots stil won't come clean with it.
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       06-14-2011, 10:09 AM Reply   
Vinegar and Water is the best thing on the planet. I spray the boat down after everyset with it. Just dont use it on the vinyl it really dies it out fast.
Old     (wakekat15)      Join Date: Jul 2005       06-14-2011, 10:38 AM Reply   
Babe's for sure! I can't stand the vinegar & water smell, personally. Babe's products both work and smell GREAT!
Old     (MoombaRiderJ)      Join Date: Jun 2010       06-14-2011, 11:51 AM Reply   
Do you use equal parts vinegar and water?...what ratio?
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       06-14-2011, 11:52 AM Reply   
yeah the smell is horrible but its almost free!
Old     (CarFanatic5)      Join Date: Apr 2010       06-14-2011, 1:29 PM Reply   
Hot Sauce for boat bling!! Stuff is awesome!!

http://boatbling.net/products.php
Old     (NuBu)      Join Date: Apr 2010       06-14-2011, 1:53 PM Reply   
I use Ducky and it works great.
Old     (d_h_wake)      Join Date: Apr 2008       06-14-2011, 2:17 PM Reply   
Clr
Old     (baitkiller)      Join Date: Jan 2010       06-14-2011, 2:41 PM Reply   
Summers Eve
Old     (boarditup)      Join Date: Jan 2004       06-14-2011, 3:55 PM Reply   
Straight vinegar with a couple ounces of Zip Wax. Mix in a 20 ox spray bottle. 4 oz in a 32 ounce bottle.
Old     (BlitzedVLX)      Join Date: Feb 2011       06-15-2011, 9:33 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by boarditup View Post
Straight vinegar with a couple ounces of Zip Wax. Mix in a 20 ox spray bottle. 4 oz in a 32 ounce bottle.
Are you talking about the Car wash made by Turtle Wax?

http://www.amazon.com/Turtle-Wax-T-7.../dp/B000AMBOX0
Old     (boarditup)      Join Date: Jan 2004       06-15-2011, 9:48 AM Reply   
Yes, that exact product. I've tried most of the rest, this works well and is so cheap to produce yourself. Try it, you have nothing to lose.
Old     (you_da_man)      Join Date: Sep 2009       06-15-2011, 10:10 AM Reply   
Duckys for me
Old     (trace)      Join Date: Feb 2002       06-15-2011, 11:23 AM Reply   
50/50 vinegar & water for daily use, and Ducky for scum lines & other problem areas.
Old     (fullspeed)      Join Date: Oct 2005 Location: Santa Cruz County CA       06-15-2011, 5:16 PM Reply   
I use this to get all my water spots out . Fine cut cleaner #2 I use it lightly. I even use it to get my water spots off my windshield.
I used it to get the haze off my car head light covers too. Been using this for years now.

http://www.meguiarsdirect.com/produc...p?T1=MEG+M0216
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       06-15-2011, 5:34 PM Reply   
USE Hot Sauce from boat bling.It also leaves a mirror shine and protection in the water.
Old     (smitty1258)      Join Date: Jun 2009       06-15-2011, 8:28 PM Reply   
HOT SAUCE. Ive used babes, and spray waxes, etc...

HotSauce is by far the best product that I have used.
Old     (ilikebeaverandboats)      Join Date: Jul 2007       06-15-2011, 8:35 PM Reply   
For those using and liking Ducky, are you using a damp Chamoise to remove it? How long are you letting it sit?

Last time I used it, left a film thats been tough to get off...

I love the Babes products, green stuff smells awesome!
Old     (skongolf)      Join Date: Aug 2009       06-15-2011, 9:01 PM Reply   
I used the 50/50 mix of vinigar and water after every trip and it worked great at taking spots off, but it also took my wax off after a while. Didnt realize it till some oxidation that i worked my butt off to get rid of came back. So I will probly be trying the Hot Sauce next if I can find it locally.
Old     (Slideways)      Join Date: Apr 2010       06-15-2011, 9:45 PM Reply   
Hot Sauce for sure. We use it on our XLV and it works great.
Old     (clayton191)      Join Date: Apr 2006       06-15-2011, 10:32 PM Reply   
Vinegar + water, 50/50 ratio -- but I drop a bit of vanilla extract in the bottle and shake it up when mixing mine... Makes for a neat smell compared to just vinegar and water... serious, read this on wakeworld and it keep my boat spankin' clean...
Old     (you_da_man)      Join Date: Sep 2009       06-15-2011, 10:55 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikebeaverandboats View Post
For those using and liking Ducky, are you using a damp Chamoise to remove it? How long are you letting it sit?

Last time I used it, left a film thats been tough to get off...

I love the Babes products, green stuff smells awesome!
I hate Babe's Boat Brite but like their Seat Soap and Seat Saver. As for Ducky's...I spray on and immediately wipe off. I do sections at a time. Never had an issue with a film and I have a black boat.
Old     (fredlap)      Join Date: Jul 2008       06-16-2011, 2:49 AM Reply   
Scrub Free for bathroom... it's more "not so much scrub" than "scrub free" but it works really well!
Old     (john211)      Join Date: Aug 2008       06-16-2011, 4:26 PM Reply   
3/4ths elbow grease and ... umm ... 1/4th of about any of your favorite spot remover.

I use Babe's. The results are great. We have here hard lime deposits because our lakes have so much calcium in solution.

Sometimes, the effort that is required takes more elbow grease than the actual spot remover.
Old     (Fourspeednup)      Join Date: Apr 2010       06-16-2011, 5:24 PM Reply   
I happen to be a fan of Hot Sauce for removing hard water spots but may be a bit biased as the Director of Operations for Boat Bling Inc.

Here's my $.02 on removing waterspots:

1) Be sure that the water spot is completely removed before waxing or you effectively seal it in under a coat of wax...you now have a shiny water spot

2) If water spot has been allowed to etch into the gelcoat, you're no longer looking at removing the mineral deposit, instead you now have a blemish on the gelcoat which may require concentrated acid or heavy compound/polish to remove

3) Vinegar is composed of acids (primarily acetic acid) and when used to remove spots will strip all wax. If used, be sure to follow up with a wax product of your choice

4) We have found that 'quick detailer' products designed for automotive use are not "stout" enough for use in harsh marine environments. They may work on fresh spots but the results will not be the same on older baked on spots.

5) - Quick sales pitch - Hot Sauce contains a chemical compund which removes the mineral deposit, combined with a silicone polymer wax sealant. It is not a replacement for a quality wax coat but serves to seal the gelcoat providing a slick surface which makes it difficult for water spots to stick. Waterspots will still be present after a day on the water but will be much easier to remove.

6) Shameless Plug: 10% off to all WakeWorld members! Use the promo code wakeworld at checkout on www.boatbling.net

I'm happy to go into further detail if anyone has specific questions or feel free to email me directly

Thanks
zack@boatbling.net
Old     (tx_foilhead)      Join Date: Apr 2009       06-16-2011, 7:47 PM Reply   
I've been using Babes Boat Bright, Vinegar and Wate for a couple of years. I mix it in equal parts in a handheld sprayer, just pump it up and mist. No spots, and after a couple of trips it begins to really shine.

Last year I put a coat of Collinite Fleetwax on and the hit it with straight vinegar and water, it lasted about a month before the wax was completely gone. We foil about 3 times a week, so that might be enough for a summer for some people. This year I did a double coat of the Colinte and after 3 weeks the spots are still wiping off so I haven't gotten the spray out yet. The real trick is making sure you don't wax anything in, and be sure and polish when you need to before the wax. I'm hoping to make it to Labor Day before I have to detail the gel again and I'll be real happy if I can make it to the 4th without using the spray.
Old     (jtech)      Join Date: Aug 2008       06-16-2011, 10:25 PM Reply   
+1 For Hot Sauce and all of their products. First ones I ever used and doubt I will bother with others for my LSV.
Old     (Geoffrey_Isringhausen)      Join Date: Sep 2010       06-17-2011, 10:10 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fourspeednup View Post
I happen to be a fan of Hot Sauce for removing hard water spots but may be a bit biased as the Director of Operations for Boat Bling Inc.

Here's my $.02 on removing waterspots:

1) Be sure that the water spot is completely removed before waxing or you effectively seal it in under a coat of wax...you now have a shiny water spot

2) If water spot has been allowed to etch into the gelcoat, you're no longer looking at removing the mineral deposit, instead you now have a blemish on the gelcoat which may require concentrated acid or heavy compound/polish to remove

3) Vinegar is composed of acids (primarily acetic acid) and when used to remove spots will strip all wax. If used, be sure to follow up with a wax product of your choice

4) We have found that 'quick detailer' products designed for automotive use are not "stout" enough for use in harsh marine environments. They may work on fresh spots but the results will not be the same on older baked on spots.

5) - Quick sales pitch - Hot Sauce contains a chemical compund which removes the mineral deposit, combined with a silicone polymer wax sealant. It is not a replacement for a quality wax coat but serves to seal the gelcoat providing a slick surface which makes it difficult for water spots to stick. Waterspots will still be present after a day on the water but will be much easier to remove.

6) Shameless Plug: 10% off to all WakeWorld members! Use the promo code wakeworld at checkout on www.boatbling.net

I'm happy to go into further detail if anyone has specific questions or feel free to email me directly

Thanks
zack@boatbling.net
Thanks for all the help everyone!

Just bought some hot sauce, thanks!

Last edited by Geoffrey_Isringhausen; 06-17-2011 at 10:12 AM.
Old     (NuBu)      Join Date: Apr 2010       06-17-2011, 1:21 PM Reply   
Joey C - I have had the exact same problem when I started using Ducky. It works best when the boat is a little wet or yes use a slightly damp chamois. Also remember a little goes a long way. I started using about half as much as I thought.
Old     (Fourspeednup)      Join Date: Apr 2010       06-17-2011, 1:38 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoffrey_Isringhausen View Post
Thanks for all the help everyone!

Just bought some hot sauce, thanks!
Thanks for the order Geoff! I'm confident you made the right decision

Post up a before/after pic once she's all cleaned up!
Old     (smitty1258)      Join Date: Jun 2009       06-17-2011, 7:00 PM Reply   
this might sound nasty BUT, since using hotsauce Ive only washed my boat in the start of the season, then halfway through, then before I put it away. The I use the sauce everytime I pull out, and it looks freshly waxed and washed until I put it back in, even has the slick waxy film layer after applying when pulling out, really makes it shine.
Old     (wakewoody)      Join Date: Sep 2010       06-18-2011, 7:31 AM Reply   
Does boat bling hot sauce have any uv protection?
Old     (wakebrdr94)      Join Date: Jul 2010       06-18-2011, 10:47 PM Reply   
hot sauce for sure, used to use ducky, but not since my neighbor turned me onto boat bling. he has an 04 part cat and the thing looks brand new. I was amazed when he told me how old his boat was, told me he only uses boat bling product, I was sold. Bought the whole line and couldn't be happier with the product
Old     (ajholt7)      Join Date: Apr 2009       06-19-2011, 4:58 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by wakewoody View Post
Does boat bling hot sauce have any uv protection?
Yes, it has wax in it. Best product I have used.
Old     (mach90)      Join Date: Jun 2009       06-21-2011, 5:12 AM Reply   
I'd love to hear the thoughts of anyone who's knowledgeable regarding the chemistry involved between the gelcoat, fiberglass, and the process below. Giving credit where credit is due; this is not my idea or post, it's copied/borrowed from a post over on the TheMalibuCrew (link below if you want to read the full thread). It sounds legit to me, however I'd hate to learn the hard/expensive way that something was ruined by a strong acid!

"I know I'll catch some grief for what I am about to advise but it works like a charm. The active ingredient in bathroom cleaner that works on boats is Hydrochloric acid. Unfortunately the concentration of HCL in bathroom cleaner is not strong enough to remove the harsh yellow stains you speak of. I live on a lake that stains my boat yellow also. What I use is to remove the stain is MURIATIC ACID.

Muriatic acid in concentrated HCL and can be bought at most hardware stores. You absolutely need to wear SAFETY gear when using this, such as rubber gloves, eye protection, and a breathing mask when mixing!

I mix a cup of Muriatic acid to one gallon of water. Simply saturate a cloth, rub it on your boat and walk away. It takes about 10 minutes to work, less if you are washing your boat in the sun as sun helps to activate the process. It's great because you do not have to scrub or rub, it is a labor free process that will remove any and all water stains plus the deep yellow stains from dirty water. On top of that, it will not hurt your gel coat (although you will need to apply fresh wax when you are done).

NOTE: Do not get this mixture on any rust on your trailer. It will only make the rusting worse. On the plus side though the run off from when you rinse the boat will clean your driveway cement."

... here's the link ...
http://www.themalibucrew.com/forums/...h/page__st__20
Old     (Fourspeednup)      Join Date: Apr 2010       06-21-2011, 1:01 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajholt7 View Post
Yes, it has wax in it. Best product I have used.
Appreciate the kind words everybody! This is correct, Hot Sauce does contain a silicone polymer wax sealant which will provide some degree of protection from UV damage but we still strongly recommend a quality wax coat be applied at the beginning of the season and if used frequently another coat mid-season. Hot Sauce maintains the waxed surface of the boat, but is not a replacement for quality wax.
Old     (Fourspeednup)      Join Date: Apr 2010       06-21-2011, 2:07 PM Reply   
Muriatic Acid is the product of choice for professionals doing an "acid bath" treatment of the boat. It wil remove heavy stains from rust, mineral deposits, etc along with any old wax built up in the gelcoat. A few boat owners I know even have an acid bath done annually to ensure they start with fresh, clean gelcoat every season. IMO it's overkill but to each their own.

Personally, I would only trust a licensed and bonded professional detailer to touch my boat with muriatic acid since it's such an extreme measure and the potential for injury and/or damage to metal hardware is a bit more than I'm willing to risk personally...but again, to each their own.