Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Non-Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (nick_in_ssp)      Join Date: Aug 2006       12-17-2015, 6:42 PM Reply   
Well it is that time of year and I am planning to take a family road trip to Florida. I am looking for some suggestions on what to see and where to go. So far I want to hit...

- Mobile, Alabama and see the USS Alabama and war planes they have there
- Orlando for a few days to check out obvious kid stuff
- Daytona / Cocoa Beach
- Everglades tour... any suggestions? I have googled and Captain Jacks comes up. Looks like something I want to check out
- Drive down the keys to Key West

The kids are 12, 8, and 6. I have heard good things about Destin, Florida. Are there any good bike trails that would be something I should check out? Also the last couple of years I have been a shortline slalom skier and thinking about bringing my water ski with. Any suggestions on what water ski school I could get a few sets at? I am not looking for lessons just a good day on the water.

I love suggestions and would love to see some pics of where some of you have been.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       01-12-2016, 2:08 PM Reply   
make sure the wilder side of key west isn't going 'nuts' while you're there. I only mention it cause of your young yet impressionable family. don't want to show up slap in the middle of Cockweek 2016.....
Old     (WheelerWake)      Join Date: Mar 2013       01-12-2016, 2:55 PM Reply   
If you're going to be all the way down to the everglades, I'd say go a little further too, visit the keys.
Old     (baitkiller)      Join Date: Jan 2010       01-12-2016, 6:17 PM Reply   
That is allot of territory. Destin is nice, actually really nice but its light years away from everything else you mentioned. Like 10 hours away.
Anyway I like your plan. Leave it a bit loose. The keys are nice but its 5, maybe 6 hours drive down the overseas highway. If you find yourself on the gulf coast you can hop a fairy from Fort Myers (that has a nice cable) or Marco Island (that has Baitkillers Nautique) that will get you there in 3 hours for pretty reasonable.
Cape Canaveral is really cool and a full day and well worth it, kids loved it.
I'm done with Disney
Busch Gardens is under rated.
Revolution Cable is really good.
There is a system 2 in Grassy Key that is fun if you drive to the keys. FYI.
Hobos in Islamarada is a great place to stop for grub.
There is a Top Golf in Tampa now.
The Tampa Aquarium is really good.
Schooner Warf bar in Key west for 10:00 AM Rolling rocks.
Pepes' in in Key West for breakfast or dinner, recommend the steak smothered in porkchops.
Card Sound Road can save you 1/2 an hour but will cost you a buck.
Carowinds in Charlotte NC. has great coasters and entrance is like $40. The only theme park I have ever been to that I didn't leave feeling A$$ raped and cant wait to go back. A bit grubby but super fun.
Everglades tours have fallen off a bit. Speedys is pretty good. Make sure you do a small 6 person boat, not a big one. (air boats) Go to check out Ted Smallwoods store (google it) and poke around the area a bit. Lots of little, easily overlooked Americana to be found. The Rod and Gun Club in Everglades City has gone down hill as of late. Shame. It used to be "dressed for lunch on the veranda".. not so much since the buses started showing up.
Have fun in my backyard and holler if you need a pull.
Old     (baitkiller)      Join Date: Jan 2010       01-12-2016, 6:35 PM Reply   
Forgot the Skunk Ape Museum.. gotta see that then make sure you hit hit Clyde Butchers studio. Boom.. mind blown. That's if you find yourself on the Tamiami Trail.
Old     (nick_in_ssp)      Join Date: Aug 2006       01-23-2016, 4:14 PM Reply   
Thanks for the replies. We will be road tripping and covering a lot of miles over about 15 days, I have been looking around at stuff and am looking at spending a little more time down in the keys and will have to check on when the most spring breakers will be down there and avoid that time. I want to hit an everglades tour and I will be check out all the suggestions all of you have mentioned.
Old     (agnesparker)      Join Date: Jan 2016       02-14-2016, 11:57 PM Reply   
There are lot of things to do in the key west
Hemingway House Cats
Diving into the ocean and swimming with sea turtles, lobsters, parrot fish on the shallow reefs around Key West. The best thing would be to join a boat tour or snorkel from the beach at Fort Zachary Taylor State Park.
Key Lime Pie
Key West Sunsets
I watched a very nice video on the key west road trip.

When are you planning to come back from your trip?
https://youtu.be/1C5JJTXkDsU
Old     (nick_in_ssp)      Join Date: Aug 2006       02-16-2016, 4:09 PM Reply   
Thanks for the reply. The plan is to get down there Sunday morning April 3rd for the Blue Angels. Do a ton of swimming and beach stuff. I have looked at doing a snorkel tour, just "a 3 hour tour" probably in the morning depending on weather. Yes the sunset party, sounds to be easy going, hope it isn't to wild. And want to hit up Zachary Tailor State Park, just like you said good place to go snorkeling. We have 3 nights in Key west so time will be fairly limited. Do you know any good places to snorkel from the beach or suggested beaches? I am thinking about bringing a paddle board with so we can explore a bit and go farther from shore.

Last edited by nick_in_ssp; 02-16-2016 at 4:14 PM. Reason: add stuff