Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through August 27, 2003

Old     (kirk)      Join Date: May 2003       08-01-2003, 8:36 AM Reply   
Help! I have had Pemco Insurance since 1977 for everything... boat, cars, motorcycle... even homeowners policy. I have a clean driving record, but my wife was involved in a fenderbender and has had a couple tickets. Pemco informed us that we were being dropped for our auto policy AND the boat policy. This sucks! I have never even filed a claim on my boat policy and we have had boats since 1980... over 20 years.
What are the best policies out there for coverage and cost??? Any help would be appreciated.
Old     (typhoon)      Join Date: Jul 2001       08-01-2003, 8:38 AM Reply   
WESMAR WITHOUT A DOUBT.

SORRY FOR caps...
Old     (jeff_altman)      Join Date: May 2002       08-01-2003, 8:42 AM Reply   
Ski Safe
Old     (tmorefi)      Join Date: Jul 2003       08-01-2003, 9:04 AM Reply   
BoatUS is by far one of the largest boat and Yacht insurance companies. You insure your boat for the agreed upon price, not a replacement price or "blue book" price. Very reasonable rates and includes towing if you might need it...
Old     (rock_n_boardin)      Join Date: May 2003       08-01-2003, 9:06 AM Reply   
I agree with Ty-one-on, wesmar. They also insure an agreed upon price. Not a depreciated value price.
Old    skionone            08-01-2003, 10:55 AM Reply   
Boater's Insurance is the best to work with. They are the largest boat insurance company in the US. 1.800.344.7488
Old     (hatepwcs)      Join Date: Mar 2002       08-01-2003, 11:12 AM Reply   
Im with ski safe.
Old     (kirk)      Join Date: May 2003       08-01-2003, 11:29 AM Reply   
Can you get me some phone #'s... I couldnt find Wesmar online...
Old     (rocketman)      Join Date: Feb 2003       08-01-2003, 12:29 PM Reply   
Bill,

I used to be with those guys, but when they were taken over by OneBeacon, they started pulling billing antics with me. They would send me an intermediate bill for just $6.00, the majority of which was special fees. If it was late, then they would hit me up for a $25 late fee.

I got away from those guys as fast as I could after that.
Old     (rock_n_boardin)      Join Date: May 2003       08-01-2003, 12:35 PM Reply   
The number is at home, I will get it for you by Monday if someone else hasn't, or call Tige' Watersports in Corona, CA, they refered me to them.
Old    oldschool            08-01-2003, 12:54 PM Reply   
David, I am with OneBeacon also, who did you switch to? Was it cheaper?
Old     (wake_fun)      Join Date: Apr 2002       08-01-2003, 1:31 PM Reply   
http://www.westmarinsurance.com/
Old     (hatepwcs)      Join Date: Mar 2002       08-01-2003, 3:36 PM Reply   
1 800 SKI SAFE
Old    samills            08-01-2003, 4:24 PM Reply   
SKI SAFE
Old     (slipknot)      Join Date: Aug 2001       08-01-2003, 8:27 PM Reply   
this is just the thread for me, I need to insure my new '01 VLX.

Jeff Altman the deal went through. Thanks for all your help. Tell me how to do the AZ thing again.

Next weekend Murray and Nunn will be in town, you guys should come down.
Old    itsinthahole            08-01-2003, 8:33 PM Reply   
boatus.com....cant go wrong
Old     (blastmaster)      Join Date: Aug 2001       08-02-2003, 3:01 PM Reply   
You guys better reread my article form last season. I write alot of Westmar,but it is only for 7 western states. I'm surprised nobody said Progressive or Leisurecraft or Twin Rivers. Boaters insurance is a broker like Myself and has many markets for hard to place risks. I personally have westmar on my boat.

Here is lank to article:\newurl
{http://www.wakeworld.com/articles/2002/insurance.asp,www.wakeworld.com/articles/2002/insurance.asp}Rick

(Message edited by blastmaster on August 02, 2003)
Old     (gymboarder)      Join Date: Feb 2003       08-02-2003, 6:52 PM Reply   
I have twin rivers and they are great. The problem with ski safe is they have a lay up peroid. If you use your boat durring that period and sometihing happens then your screwed. I checked out ski safe and went with twin rivers because I have more coverage can used my boat 12 months out of the year and it was cheaper.
Old     (kirk)      Join Date: May 2003       08-02-2003, 7:20 PM Reply   
I called Ski safe and the lay up period is your choice...You pay a reduced rate during the 4 months of layup and can not use the boat during that period. You can only lay up for 4 months minimum however, not 2 or 3, so that is not an option for me. They did seem to have a good policy, but right now, it's looking like Westmar is my best bet. Oh... and Pemco sucks...
Old     (batman)      Join Date: Nov 2001       08-03-2003, 7:58 PM Reply   
Try United Marine Underwriters. They are way cheaper and easy to work with.
Old     (tjhooker)      Join Date: Apr 2002       08-04-2003, 10:26 AM Reply   
I use http://www.boatus.com .
Old     (rock_n_boardin)      Join Date: May 2003       08-05-2003, 9:03 AM Reply   
By the way it is Westmar not Wesmar. Sorry.
Old     (wakescene)      Join Date: Feb 2001       08-05-2003, 9:11 AM Reply   
I run the boat under my regular policy for car and Renter Insur. Amica Mutual out of Rhode Island is the company I use, and it is super cheap. The boat is also listed under a very large umbrella policy I hold with Amica, which is seperate from the other policies.

If you own a boat and car(s), you should have a umbrella policy in place.

KG
http://www.Towerboxes.com
Old     (fbroen)      Join Date: Apr 2002       08-05-2003, 9:21 AM Reply   
Kevin,

What does the umbrella policy add? Why is it good to have? Roughgly how much $$$ are those things?

Thanks,

Fredrik
Old     (blastmaster)      Join Date: Aug 2001       08-05-2003, 3:41 PM Reply   
Umbrella is "excess liability coverage" It pasy after the primary policy has exhausted it's limits. Umbrella's are cheap 150-400 yr depending on underlying limits,occupation,and other types of exposures suchs as boats, motorcycles,airplanes etc.... Be sure you have enough underlying cov on your primary policy or the umbrella may be void or leave a uninsured gap.

An excellant example of how a ubrella works is the old gentleman that ran over all those people in the market in LA. He cant begin to have enough auto coverage. in this case an umbrella would only help very little but that is an extreme case. Many of those injured and families of those killed will get nothing at all.Auto policy limits will max out and an umbrella would only do a little in this case.

Rick
Old     (rocketman)      Join Date: Feb 2003       08-06-2003, 12:06 AM Reply   
Craig,

I went with Progressive. It was a little cheaper (I'm paying about $50 less per year), but the main reason I switched is because of the billing shennanigans that OneBeacon started pulling on me. I would ask about why I was getting bills for just $6.00 when I was paid up according to the billing schedule. All they could say was "Just trust us" with no real explanation, and then charge $25 if the measly $6.00 was late. Back when it was Boater's insurance, I thought they were great company to work with. I just got a sour taste when they switched.
Old    barryb            08-08-2003, 6:48 PM Reply   
I just went with Progressive. I was getting $600+ quotes from boatus and west marine. Progressive was about $370. This was for full coverage on an '01 SAN.