Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through April 04, 2003

Old     (typhoon)      Join Date: Jul 2001       03-23-2003, 6:51 AM Reply   
I am thinking about using it in our car and boat. Are you supposed to be able to change it every 6000 miles instead of 3000 or how does it work?

thanks
Old     (peter_c)      Join Date: Sep 2001       03-23-2003, 9:24 AM Reply   
How long your intervals for oil changes are depends on the use of the vehicle. A car that is driven on the freeway at speed can go farther than a car that is driven in stop and go traffic. That is why GM came up with their oil life system (or whatever their technical name is). Cars that spend more time under load (i.e. boat motor) need more frequent oil changes as does a motor run at or near redline. Contamination build up in the oil causes problems with seals and the rings etc.

Now the somewhat answer to your question...Yes you can lengthen the interval a little. One of the best tools is your nose and eyes towards the oil. I switched my truck over to Mobil 1 15/50 just so I would not have to change the oil as often.
Old     (peter_c)      Join Date: Sep 2001       03-23-2003, 9:55 AM Reply   
I have highlighted the points I feel applicable from the Mobil 1 website.

Mobil 1 with SuperSynTM 15W-50 is especially suitable for high-performance cars, particularly hot-running or heavily loaded vehicles and special high-tech imports

Notice that different grades are interchangeable, and a multi-viscosity is a more modern oil.

Mobil 1 with SuperSynTM 15W-50 can be used where SAE 15W-40, 15W-20, 20W/50, 15W, 20W, 30, 40 or 50 grade viscosity is recommended.

Mobil 1 15W/50 Flows at -45°C (-49°F), pumps at temperatures as low as many conventional SAE 5W-30 oils

Run a car with and oil temp and pressure gauge in it and your views on oil will change.

(Message edited by peter_c on March 23, 2003)
Old    sprucie            03-26-2003, 12:08 PM Reply   
Ty, this might not apply but indmar told me to wait til 150 hrs on the engine before swithching to synthetic. They said give the motor plenty of time to seat the piston rings.

As for the time interval between changes the factory reccomendation remains the same.
Old     (typhoon)      Join Date: Jul 2001       03-26-2003, 1:56 PM Reply   
Thanks guys.
Old    clipper            03-27-2003, 6:03 AM Reply   
It is safe to extend your change interval by 50% when using synthetic oil.